Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr dismember

New Tahoe Sunflower Hill singletrack

With thunderstorms predicted I did an out and back from Mt. Rose today because it left me with many options should the storms materialize. I did TRT from Mt. Rose, Redhouse, TRT north, Flume south, Hobart Rd., TRT north back to Mt. Rose. It had obviously rained the night before and that sandy stretch of fireroad down to Redhouse was nearly sand free. Just as I was packing up the thunder and rain began, and I experienced one of the biggest rain/hailstorms ever near Truckee.

I hate taking that steep fireroad up Sunflower Hill, which is often one of the hottest spots in Tahoe. I happened to see the new single-track, so I took it. Great trail and thanks to those who built it! Really nice extended climb of about 2.8 miles that meanders through some nice forests. It completely bypasses all fireroads and connects with the TRT near those new toilets.

Below are the new (red) and old (yellow-red) routes up Sunflower Hill.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Looks like a fun day in the saddle. I assume we'll see a write up about it on your page in the future?

mtbr dismember

No camera

Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    I assume we'll see a write up about it on your page in the future?
    No camera on this trip. I've posted enough on this route this summer. Note my website has changed considerably recently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the info. Is it signed or otherwise easy to find? Is the west end literally at the camp ground? Do riders go down there for reasons other than Red House as an alternative to the Flume or TRT?

mtbr dismember

No sign

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBear View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is it signed or otherwise easy to find? Is the west end literally at the camp ground? Do riders go down there for reasons other than Red House as an alternative to the Flume or TRT?
    There is no sign but it's pretty easy to see at the bottom of the fire road climb. I forget exactly where it comes out, but it is near those new toilets. I've done Redhouse for many years to get in some extra mileage, get away from the crowds, and to get that nice gradual climb to the Marlette Lake overlook, which then gives you the nice downhill on the other side. I also think the TRT from Mt. Rose is greatly under appreciated.

mtbr member
    I did this a few weeks ago and it's really nice. Best part is that most of the climb is shaded. There's now a big sign at the top of Chimney Beach which is now called Marlette Peak Trail.

Rose, Sunflower Bypass and Marlette Peak at EveryTrail
    EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Nevada

mtbr member
    good to hear the alternative route is shaded, sunflower hill in the summer sun is a demoralizing death march....

Might you know anything about Yogi Bear up in Truckee ?

mtbr member
    I've done Mt Rose to Spooner via the Flume a number of times and just did a ride last weekend from Spooner up the fireroad to the Marlette Lake overlook, past those new bathrooms you guys referenced and down that awesome section of TRT to the big intersection above Tunnel Creek. Then back on the Flume to Marlette then up the road to the Kiosk where you cross the Marlett Peak hiking trail to climb and then descend Chimney Beach Trail (my first time - that's a sweeeeet downhill) to the road and 5 miles of pavement back to the car at Spooner.

NutBallChamp's ride looks like the way to go (if you can shuttle). If you are not shuttling, can you start at Spooner, begin climbing the fireroad and then take a right onto a trail marked TRT at some also new looking bathrooms before you get all the way up to the Kiosk right above Marlette lake? Will this link into "Redhouse" and the easier climb up to the Marlette Lake overlook (instead of that crappy fireroad climb which I guess you call "Sunflower Hill")? I'm guessing this is the newly opened section of the TRT that was previously off limits to bikes and now is open every other day?
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jadedbee View Post
    I'm guessing this is the newly opened section of the TRT that was previously off limits to bikes and now is open every other day?
    Nope it's a new trail, they have not opened the the section of TRT towards Snow Peak & hwy 50 yet, and may not.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr dismember

Map

...If you are not shuttling, can you start at Spooner, begin climbing the fireroad... ...I'm guessing this is the newly opened section of the TRT that was previously off limits to bikes and now is open every other day?
    First of all, I do not understand why anyone would want to climb that fireroad from Spooner
    Take a look at this map so you know what we are talking about. I rode up some entirely new single track that bypasses the Sunflower Hill fireroad climb coming from Redhouse to the north. Chimney Beach takes off to the left at about that ".8" maker south of Marlette Lake. My goal is to do Mt. Rose to Van Sickle via Chimney Beach. But I would not be too thrilled about the five miles of pavement.

There is a way to do Chimney Beach from Mt. Rose if you are really foolish

mtbr member
    Flume trail bikes will pick you up at the bottom of Chimney Beach if you load your bike on their trailer first before driving over. I do this to save time and not bug my wife for a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mred1404 View Post
    good to hear the alternative route is shaded, sunflower hill in the summer sun is a demoralizing death march....

Might you know anything about Yogi Bear up in Truckee ?
    i have heard of it...sounds really nice too.... what would you like to know about it?

steve, this sounds like a nice ride even when you don't have to do an out and back! not having to do sunflower hill would be a very good thing, although i'm sure that in the shape that you are in, that will would not cause you any problems.

Paper or plastic?
    If I can get a day pass in a couple weeks from my better half for Tahoe riding, what should I do on the south/east shore? Looking at under 25 miles, 4k'.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    If I can get a day pass in a couple weeks from my better half for Tahoe riding, what should I do on the south/east shore? Looking at under 25 miles, 4k'.
    z, why don't we do this exact ride. it's longer, but not overly difficult...maybe we can coerce wherewolf into coming along. he hates riding in tahoe....

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    z, why don't we do this exact ride. it's longer, but not overly difficult...maybe we can coerce wherewolf into coming along. he hates riding in tahoe....
    As much as I'd love to, my sensitive tush, and my left shoulder pinched nerve won't let me ride 7.5 hours straight. And I like to stop and BS.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    This was a nice ride with amazing views.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Where is the Marlette Lake Overlook? I'm guessing it is either the spot with a couple informative signs on Hobart Road between the TRT and Marlette Lake or the short side trail off the TRT above the campground. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    First of all, I do not understand why anyone would want to climb that fireroad from Spooner
    I agree it's the most fun right from the start, but if you don't have to climb the last steep pitch up to the kiosk (0.8 mile marker on your map, right where you turn off for Chimney Beach which is not marked) it's not a bad way to warm up. If not shuttling AND you want to end with a sweet downhill (Chimney Beach), I think parking at Spooner, warming up on North Canyon, and then doing some kind of loop that gets you coming down the boulder-y section of TRT and then making your way back to Chimney Beach is what I'd prefer.

This is basically what I just did last weekend, but the 1.8 mile jeep road climb from the south end of Marlette Lake up to the overlook was not enjoyable. I'm just wondering if I could get there more gradually by taking that right to Snow Valley Peak and then either taking the 2.5 mile section of TRT (blue) or the 4.5 mile trail to the Outer Flume (black) and then climbing this new Sunflower Hill Bypass.

My goal is to do Mt. Rose to Van Sickle via Chimney Beach. But I would not be too thrilled about the five miles of pavement.
    The pavement really wasn't that bad. It's a very gradual climb - I was in my big ring the whole time. Just keep the downhill you just finished on instant replay in your head and know that cold beer awaits.

mtbr dismember

Snow Valley Peak closed to bikes

I'm just wondering if I could get there more gradually by taking that right to Snow Valley Peak and then either taking the 2.5 mile section of TRT (blue) or the 4.5 mile trail to the Outer Flume (black) and then climbing this new Sunflower Hill Bypass.
    Snow Valley Peak TRT is closed to bikes. I've never tried the Outer Flume. Just start from Mt. Rose and then you can go down Redhouse and up the new single-track. Then you have the option to go north on the TRT, then south on The Flume, and then down Chimney Beach. Or back to Rose. Or go straight down Hobart Rd. and do Chimney Beach. Take Nutballchamp's suggestion of using Spooner shuttle if riding solo.

mtbr member
    According to your map only the first 5.5 miles of TRT from Spooner are closed to bikes. Just south of the 0.8 mile mark we are refering to there is a 1.1 mile section of yellow trail that goes east to Snow Valley Peak, just north of the 5.5 mile "No Bikes" section of the TRT. When I road last weekend I saw the sign for this with a TRT marker but not a "No Bikes" marker. It is right at the new bathrooms before the steepest pitch of fireroad when you climb from Spooner Lake.

Anybody done this trail and can confirm whether it is better or worse than the 1.8 mile jeep road climb from the south side of Marlette to the overlook?

mtbr dismember

Not my map

According to your map only the first 5.5 miles of TRT from Spooner are closed to bikes.
    It's not my map and the TRT section north of Snow Valley Peak is closed to bikes.

mtbr dismember

When you see this

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBear View Post
    Where is the Marlette Lake Overlook? I'm guessing it is either the spot with a couple informative signs on Hobart Road between the TRT and Marlette Lake or the short side trail off the TRT above the campground. Thanks
    When you see this, overlooking Marlette Lake

mtbr dismember

Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    steve, this sounds like a nice ride even when you don't have to do an out and back! not having to do sunflower hill would be a very good thing, although i'm sure that in the shape that you are in, that will would not cause you any problems.
    So when will you be ready?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When you see this, overlooking Marlette Lake
    I think that is the short little trail off the TRT halfway between the campground and the high point?

According to your map only the first 5.5 miles of TRT from Spooner are closed to bikes.
    You can confirm what Wherewolf said on the official TRT map.

http://tahoerimtrail.org/images/stor...stospooner.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So when will you be ready?
    in september for sure...next two weekends are shot for me. i've done three rides since coming back from the knee injury and i'm clearly not ready yet...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast