mtbr member

New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills

I rode the new section of the Bay Area Ridge Trail early this morning. It's a pretty sweet network of trails and if you start at the bottom of Alum Rock Park you can turn it into a nice 18-20 mile ride. The trail is still a little loose in some areas, but with some rain and use it will be great. There's some good fire road climbs and plenty of double wide single track. Check it out people it's worth the ride.

Photobucket
    Get out there and ride!

It's about showing up.
    Congrats to the Bay Area Ridge Trail folks who work so hard to bring this together. This is another link in the chain.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Will be hitting this up later this week.

mtbr member
    I started at the bottom of Alum Rock yesterday and rode it to Vista Point and back (20miles). Once you get to the new trail system stick to your left on the Calaveras fault trail, it has a nice down hill. on your way back go through the Sierra Vist trail if you don't want to climb the Calaveras Fault Trail. I will do it again after I heal. The last 2.8 miles to Vista where to steep for me .
    Last edited by colotl; 10-23-2011 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone have the Strava data on this?

mtbr member
    I just opened and I would guess no Strava yet. I did see them working on this 2 weeks ago from up on Sierra rd. After the Boccardo trail (Steep!) there wasn't anywhere to go. Glad to hear you can keep going now. I will be hitting this trail soon to check it out. I will post a strava link when I do.
    They never made the "Slowster"

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Will it be a good winter ride?

Wēk Ss
    is there another way in other than alum rock park? they don't have updated maps on the website yet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So this goes to Calaveras? Love to just access this from Milpitas.

mtbr member
    You can get in through Sierra Road and park at the new lot but I heard the lot isn't ready for daily use. As for winter riding I think it will be super muddy. The trails are fresh and lots of loose gravel. The single track is narrow and the track looks like a rototiller just went through it. Be careful that your bike doesn't slide towards the edge or else you'll be next to the cars down below. The climb to Vista Point is shaded, soft and wet from the morning dew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ended up doing this ride late this afternoon and thought I would post it on Strava. The trails are definitely fresh, loose, and caution should be taken in some areas. Going through the single track before the loop has some very steep cliffs that could end very bad in one should slip or make a mistake. We personally had a hiker coming back that didn't want to share/move..... At this point the better decision was to get off the bike and not take any chances, especially since we would be passing on the steep side. Once you get pass the single track area the loop is all fireroads with some climbing. Here is the link to Strava with the data.

Just to note, I did this ride with a buddy and his girlfriend....she did fantastic! I plan on hitting this ride a bit a harder on the next ride to get a base time. My only concerns would be passing on coming riders through the beginning of the steep cliff single track section.

http://app.strava.com/rides/2084709

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where is this? I live in Danville and work downtown....

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by colotl View Post
    Be careful that your bike doesn't slide towards the edge or else you'll be next to the cars down below.

I have a mild fear of heights, I get tunnel vision and nervous around edges/ledges. I've fallen off a few edges because I get twitchy and nervous. This part would freak me out. If there are trees and shrubs so I don't see the height, I'll be good. I take it it's barren. bummer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post

I have a mild fear of heights, I get tunnel vision and nervous around edges/ledges. I've fallen off a few edges because I get twitchy and nervous. This part would freak me out. If there are trees and shrubs so I don't see the height, I'll be good. I take it it's barren. bummer.
    If you have a fear of heights you might want to rethink taking this route, at least for now. The path does get narrow and you could see the bottom past the cliffs as clear as day. The terrain was a bit rocky and loose, some parts much worst than others. Just take caution until things firm up and the trail gets a bit more usage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rode the new trails today

Rode this today starting outside the park below the golf course - 20 mi., 4000 ft. Had to retrace the full path from the new Vista Point back to the top of Todd Quick to get home. A shorter route, Alum Rock Falls Road through the park, is currently illegal. At some point in the future, there may be a link from this new section over to Grant Park.

mtbr member
    This is exciting news! This indeed is great motivation to hit up A-Rock... I might hike it first just to get familiar with the new trail...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carpy95 View Post
    Where is this? I live in Danville and work downtown....
    bumpity

mtbr member
    This is located in North San Jose border line Milpitas. Can gain access from Alum Rock Park.

More Torque
    is there another way in other than alum rock park? they don't have updated maps on the website yet.
    There is a gate off of Sierra Road, though it's not where you'd expect. There is no parking in the area, so keep that in mind.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills-svgate.jpg  

New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills-2011_10_23_sv_17.jpg  

New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills-2011_10_23_sv_18.jpg  

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Will it be a good winter ride?
    No.

For one, they are planning on shutting it down as soon as the serious rains start, so that the new section of trail can bed in undisturbed. It will also allow time to determine the effectiveness of the water mitigation strategies that have been employed.

Secondly, the soil in the area has a high clay content (ask anyone who has ridden Alum Rock in the wet), so it is best to steer clear until until it is dry.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills-2011_10_23_sv_20.jpg  

More Torque

Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    If you have a fear of heights you might want to rethink taking this route, at least for now. The path does get narrow and you could see the bottom past the cliffs as clear as day. The terrain was a bit rocky and loose, some parts much worst than others. Just take caution until things firm up and the trail gets a bit more usage.
    That's one of the best parts of new trail, and some nice, exposed riding is one of the things that's a bit lacking in the south bay.

One of the most important techniques is not to look at the dropoff, and keep your eyes focused on where you want to go. Keep some speed (not too fast, though), so that a single rock or bump won't deflect you off of your course. If all else fails, you can walk that stretch, as it quickly returns to more mild side slopes.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New section of Bay area Ridge Trail East Foothills-2011_10_23_sv_09.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel~; 10-24-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    That's one of the best parts of new trail, and some nice, exposed riding is one of the things that's a bit lacking in the south bay.

One of the most important techniques is not to look at the dropoff, and keep your eyes focused on where you want to go. Keep some speed (not too fast, though), so that a single rock or bump won't deflect you off of your course. If all else fails, you can walk that stretch, as it quickly returns to more mild side slopes.

-D
    Do not like this little bit near the rock outcropping. Let's see how it will look like after the rain season.

Tempted to skip the rest of the work day and go check it out.

mtbr member
    Rode part of the new single track section yesterday after work. Turned back as it was starting to get dark. The trail is loose with gravel and rocks. Still very ridable. I wouldnt recommend it for a true beginner but for anyone that has single track riding experience, try it out. The single track is not too narrow. Just watch out for cow poopy on the way there.

PRETENDURO

Always look where you want to go, not where you dont want to go and apparently everything is just peachy keen after that.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.