Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Medium?

tastes like chicken
    From Drew:

Just a reminder that we will be having the first work day on the Pogonip Multi-use trail on Saturday May 12th at 9 AM.

We will be meeting at the bottom of the U-Con singletrack near the green gate. We would like to get started promptly so please consider the extra time it takes to get to the bottom of U-con. If you ride your bike you will need to lock it there because there are no bicycles allowed on the Fern Trail which we will use to access the work area. Remember, there are only a few parking spots at Rincon Road & Hwy 9 so carpooling would be a great idea if you plan to park there or give yourself time for the 15 minute walk from the main Hwy 9 parking lot on the Rincon Connector trail.

We will be clearing the trail corridor of small vegetation, brush, sticks, and duff in preparation for the trail machine to cut the bench. We will be hiking through and working in poison oak (mostly knee high or less but a few areas up to waist high). Please dress accordingly - long pants and sleeves, gloves, sturdy shoes (gators are great if you have them) and I recommend a change of clothes. If you would like to help but are very sensitive to poison oak please let me know, there are a couple of work areas with little to no poison oak and another project where it can mostly be avoided, but I won't plan on making it happen unless several people contact me. If you have loppers or small pruning saws please bring them.

Please sign up at Trailworkers even if you are not 100% sure you are coming (I want to make sure we have enough tools). Please contact me at trails@mbosc.org with any questions or if you need further directions.

This will be the first of many trail work days to build the most exciting mountain bike legal trail in decades. There will be lot more trail building in Santa Cruz County in the coming years. If you enjoy the riding in Santa Cruz then please consider helping us build the trail system here.

middle ring single track

Hey Coe Trail Volunteers!!!

Until we get Coe's "Second Saturday" Trail Work Day embargo worked out this project would be a great place to turn if you're jonesing for some trail building.

I've had the privilege of walking the route with drew p and it's a WINNER. Mostly in the shade of the forest so it'll be a great place to work throughout the summer!

I'd be there this Saturday but I've recently had hernia surgery and need to chill out for a while.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 05-10-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: grammer
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

I like mtn biking, too
    I'm in! I think I'm going to start using this silly cornut thing on all my posts... cracks me up!

Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member

Great first workday

First Pogonip Multi-Use Trail workday a success. | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

We had 24 great volunteers on Saturday and we cleared almost 1/2 mile of the new trail to get it ready for excavation with the machine. Thanks to all who made it out. If you couldn’t come on Saturday, but want to help we will be starting the weekday evening work sessions this week. Meet at 5:30 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at the bottom of U-Con. We will work until 7:30-8:00 or so but you may leave whenever you like. Next weekend work day will be Sunday May 20th at 9 am, meeting at the bottom of U-Con.

Flyin Canine
    This is an amazing project. I will for sure make it out to a workday soon. Great work MBOSC!

mtbr member
    Thanks for organizing Drew. Looking forward to more of these and seeing this trail take shape.

Keith

aka baycat
    Awesome stuff!

tastes like chicken

First new bike legal trail in Santa Cruz since 1999

Bump.

Drew is leading at least 3 trail work days a week. Wed and Thursday at 5:30 pm for a couple of hours and then Sunday May 20th at 9 am for about 4 hours. Meet at the bottom of U-Con trail by Rincon road and the 'No bikes' sign into the Pogonip. See photo below.

This is a great project to support. I'm changing my work schedule so that I can spend more days in this woods building this trail.

New Pogonip Trail, 1st Trailwork Day Sat May 12th-day1trailwork-sm.jpg

mtbr member

Reminder - May 20th 9 AM at bottom of U-Con

Next work day is 9 AM at bottom of U-Con. Help build the first bike legal trail in Santa Cruz County since U-Con was built 13 years ago. Sign up at Trailworkers.

more info at Pogonip | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awesome job guys. I'm going to try to make it to a workday, possibly next saturday. I was wondering if there is a trail plan (ie. more specifics on the route, any ladders/jumps planned, etc.) available online? Also when is the hopeful completion date?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The trail has been designed to be beginner friendly and accommodate heavy 2-way traffic so no jumps or ladders. There will still be some opportunities to your tires off the ground and smiles on your face.

map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...236a2592&msa=0

mtbr member
    I visit here cuz my daughter is at UCSC (first year so I have a few more to go ), so I'd be up to help when I'm down here.

Is there a way to get on a mailing list so I can get updates when new work days are arranged?
    I'm here in town right now, as a matter of fact, having ridden Wilder yesterday and Demo today.

Glad to see so many folks turning out to help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The next work session is tomorrow from 5:30 - 8:00. Thursday evening too.

middle ring single track

First day on the job...

...for the Morrison Trailblazer. This vintage trail machine is awesome!

I took over root-chopping activities for the rest of the day. While the machine had the power to bust most of them out it tended to leave a stringy mess that need the axe (pulaski) for finishing.

Photobucket
    Some of the route was fairly exposed (as in steep!)

Photobucket
    Drew was able to rough-cut well over 1000' bench on Tuesday. The soil was fairly soft and "loamy" but there were many roots and some rocky areas to contend with.

Photobucket
    There were 2 volunteers and 3 SC City workers plus Drew operating the machine; it was a good mix of man and machine. We were able to keep up with the machine; hand cutting the back-slope and raking off the berm. Much time was spent dealing with the ever-present roots. The soil is too dry for good compaction so it'll be after the first rains next season before the tread can be fine-tuned. This is a very curve-a-licious route winding through the forest with very gentle grades; it'll be a great place for "family" rides when it opens.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

Nice!

Great to see the building progress! This is going to be a very well used trail. I hope to get down there and help some more soon!

tastes like chicken

Pogonip sessions Wed, Thurs and Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ...for the Morrison Trailblazer. This vintage trail machine is awesome!
    There were 2 volunteers and 3 SC City workers plus Drew operating the machine; it was a good mix of man and machine. We were able to keep up with the machine; hand cutting the back-slope and raking off the berm. Much time was spent dealing with the ever-present roots. The soil is too dry for good compaction so it'll be after the first rains next season before the tread can be fine-tuned. This is a very curve-a-licious route winding through the forest with very gentle grades; it'll be a great place for "family" rides when it opens.
    Thanks for posting this report and for helping out with the trail work! It's great to see pictures and a video of the Morrison in action. Drew cut 1,800 of bench with this machine yesterday.

We will be doing a couple of sessions tonight (Wed) and Thursday meeting at the bottom of U-Con at 5:30. I'll be working there tonight (like most Wed nights) and I can't wait to see all the progress.

mtbr member
    I think I need to take a day off and do some work up there.

mtbr member
    So are we going to set a record here for time from trail approval to trail completion? Nice work everyone and thanks for the pics pliebenberg.

middle ring single track

Progress report

The trail machine continues to make good progress on Pogonip's East Multi-Use Trail; I was able to help "Drew and Crew" a second day this week---a few photos:
    Photobucket
    This photo does not do justice to this double climbing turn wrapping through a redwood groove; trust me---it'll be sweeet!

Photobucket
    We were honored with a visit by Bud McCrary today; he's in the center with the walking sticks. Bud (and his late wife, Emma) are responsible for many miles of trails in Santa Cruz County and beyond. For more on the McCrarys see History | Big Creek Lumber and Trailblazer Emma McCrary, 80, helped build miles of county trails - Santa Cruz Sentinel
    L to R; Steve, Meta (both SC Parks staff), Bud, Drew (drew p on this forum), Rich (volunteer), Josh (SC Parks)

Photobucket
    Bud wanted to visit the Morrison Trailblazer; his "baby". (Being operated by Drew for the City through a special arrangement)

Photobucket
    He knows every nut and bolt (and hose and valve) very well; Drew answers the muster as Meta observes.

Photobucket
    "BUD"---'nuff said!

Photobucket
    This trail project is so nice to work on with all the shade!

Remember to visit Pogonip | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC) for more information on scheduled volunteer work days.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 06-23-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: sp

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the pictures Paul. Next workday is Sunday June 24th. Lots of finish work to do. Meet at 9am at the bottom of U-Con. We will be having pizza for lunch afterwords.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    That little tractor/dozer/backhoe thing is something else;

VRC Illuminati
    I promise to responsibly use the hell out of this trail.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So nice to see Bud out there. He's a pretty great guy.

mtbr member
    Amazing work out there guys! Thanks for the update!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast