Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtb'er

New member of the Pinecrest Fan Club

After several years of hearing about the slabby, chunky, and uniquely fun trails in Pinecrest, CA, I finally made the effort to head there last weekend. The Trogs came out in force and kindly showed me the way on Saturday, and with some cryptic directions, suggestions and a few winks, I spent all day Sunday exploring solo. Woah! I only scratched the surface, but add me to the list of people who's life is better for having visited this Disneyland of mt. biking

We started early Saturday with a hearty dirt climb from the Strawberry Store to the top of Pinecrest Peak. Along the way, I was led to the land of the Gargoyles, which was jaw dropping:

The area had a little Kirkwood and Bear Valley feel to it:

After 12 miles or so of climbing, we made it to the top of the mountain, and it was good:

Eyeballing the valley below, some of the other trail options, and views of the peaks all the way to Tahoe... Dardanelles, Reba, Round Top, Friel, etc...:

Slab city

(photo by George da Trog)

Can't beat the view either:

(photo by Fred da Trog)

The builders of Upper PCP did a nice job routing the trail to lots of fun granite:

While waiting for a flat to be repaired, I got to play around a bit on a nice big chunk:

(photo by Fred da Trog)

Coming around a tight turn, I witnessed Fred da Trog make the most graceful wipeout I've ever seen. Didn't even clip out as he went down and pivoted off a rock!:

We took a mandatory "soak in the view" rest, overlooking the canyon and river between Pinecrest Peak and Dodge Ridge:

George da Trog was enjoying Lower PCP a great deal:

Lower PCP ends with a slightly hairy river crossing. I was glad there was a rope to assist with balance:

We finished the day with a fun, short loop downstream from Strawberry, on each side of the river. After parting ways with the Trogs, I set out for a camp spot and got ready for what would be an all day ride on Sunday.

Before heading to the woods, I did manage to see Bigfoot strolling through town:

As I was solo on Sunday, I didn't take many photos, but while riding all the suggested routes, all I could think of was "This is $#&! awesome!" It was adventure riding at its absolute finest... primitive but 99.9% rideable, through terrain most people wouldn't conceive of taking a bike (thank you trail fairies!). Below are a few shots of some of the neat stuff I saw.

A nice, rocky water crossing:

I liked this Yosemite-esqe bump of granite. (We were on top of the peak in the far background the day before):

Getting into the backcountry, the slabs just kept getting better and better:

Being surrounded by granite warms my heart (but my self timer was a little late getting the entry shot):

Oh yeah!!!

Yeah, there's a rideable line through there... route finding was actually part of the fun:

This didn't suck at all:

I decided to not ride down this cascading waterfall:

I won't bore you with anymore photos or babble, but if you're looking for a world class, highly technical mtb adventure, get your wheels to Pinecrest! Thank you Trogs for your guiding and everyone who makes PC what it is. It's fantastic

As Ahnold says:

jms
    mtbr member
    Your pictures bring back memories for me. It's such a great area. First time I rode the Pinecrest Peak trail was in 1991. It's been one of my favorites ever since.
    My Favorite Peeps:

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Awesome. Been too long for me. Going up this weekend.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    EB, glad you joined us and enjoyed our happiest place on earth.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

BIGME
    I think you explored as much in 2 days as I have in the last 4 years. Great Pics.
    I might have amnesia, but at least I don't have amnesia!

mtbr member

New member of the Pinecrest Fan Club

Looks fun. I'm heading up for a wedding next weekend. Going to try to get a ride in on Fri.

mtbr member
    Sweet!

How long does your self timer go for?, dang my pops off in about 10 seconds.

NedwannaB
    Nice outing. Great pix!

Even more better'r now that the rest of the pix loaded for me to check out!
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-30-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: more info
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Empty_Beer again."

Thanks for sharing the stoke! Can't wait to get up there.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Awesome ride report, as always. Any route map? Did you do Pinecrest Peak Trail up and down?

mtbr member
    Do you need a guide to get to the trails or is there a map / gps track I can get a hold of?

mtbr member
    Great report/stoke!

mtbr member
    Been too long...GOTTA get back. Pinecrest, when done right, is better than DVille in my OP and a much easier drive.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member

Nice Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    After several years of hearing about the slabby, chunky, and uniquely fun trails in Pinecrest, CA, I finally made the effort to head there last weekend. The Trogs came out in force and kindly showed me the way on Saturday, and with some cryptic directions, suggestions and a few winks, I spent all day Sunday exploring solo. Woah! I only scratched the surface, but add me to the list of people who's life is better for having visited this Disneyland of mt. biking
    Great Ride Report!
    Too bad our paths didn't cross on Saturday... and then I was surprised when you passed my daughter and I riding on Sunday! Funny because all along the ride Sunday my daughter kept saying, "dad... use the self timer on your phone's camera and get this shot..." which I didn't... I didn't think it would work from as far away as you did. I'm going to have to play around with my camera on those timer shots!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great report!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes please gpx tracks/maps I have been trying to recon this place for years.

mtb'er
    Thanks for the nice feedback.

Regarding camera self timer, the app on my iPhone that I use can be set for 60 seconds, but it will only take one photo. My old (broken) digital camera could be set for timer AND burst to take multiple shots, which was nice. So using an iPhone and trying to time one shot sucked. So I set it up to video and then did a screen capture of the frame I liked best

I can't figure out how to embed FB video here... and iPhone to YouTube stutters during playback for some reason, but here's one of the "self timer" video's I grabbed a photo from (sorry non-FB people):

Click "HD" and full screen: Along the creek
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 05-30-2013 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Frame grabs from a video sounds like a great option, thanks for the ideal!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the write up and pics, I have never been to this section of the Sierras and I am going to have to go now. I love granite slabs!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway View Post
    Thank you for the write up and pics, I have never been to this section of the Sierras and I am going to have to go now. I love granite slabs!
    It's Sierra, singular, and it looks like a couple of rides.are happening fri and sat. **** wait.
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    REP +1 to you EB!!
    LOVE PINECREST!!
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    It's Sierra, singular, and it looks like a couple of rides.are happening fri and sat. **** wait.
    Thanks for the grammar correction d*****bag, I really appreciate it and I am sure that everyone else here does too. I see how you got to 8K+ posts.

mtbr member
    Awesome report ,brings back fond memories. Years ago our family used to spend our summers there and I would get away in the afternoons and explore on my old Bontrager. Great place I need to go back!

downward bound
    Sep 2012
    EB, great running into you on Saturday. You cannot over-hype Pinecrest. I never get tired of doing the same trails over and over again and yet I have just scratched its surface and probably will always be there. I feel so lucky living right at its feet. Thanks very much must also be conveyed to you for your efforts on the Western States Trail on behalf of mountain biking access. Somehow, I think a good precedent is being set there. Happy Trails!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway View Post
    Thanks for the grammar correction d*****bag, I really appreciate it and I am sure that everyone else here does too. I see how you got to 8K+ posts.
    We all appreciate finch. I do believe there was a ride "heads up" in his post you know....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast