Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New to Folsom, new to riding

Just moved to the area. I live a stones throw away from the outlets. I've been told its possible to ride from my house and ride all the way to Granite Bay on mostly dirt. Is this true? If so, where do I pickup the trail? I have not explored the area much, as I'm still in the process of building my bike. But I'd like to have a destination ready once assembly is done. Any help would be great. Thanks all.

NedwannaB
    Look to have Empty_Beer, Widgeontrail or Tyrone to chime in with directions.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Yep. I'm in Granite Bay and ride your direction all of the time. Many options. Great views and nice trails. If you have a fat bike, you can ride the shore once you get to Beals point if you choose. Fat bike is optional for the shore ride but some of the sand could be challenging.

I suggest going to google maps satellite view and chart your way. I would plot a course for you but I suck at computer skills.

mtbr member

From Natoma Station you can jump onto the ARBT across Folsom Blvd. ride the dirt and paved trail to where it turns into the gravel/dirt road then right into the Granite Beach parking lot and typical GB loop. You would have to ride the road by Bikes Plus over the foot bridge or over the "new" bridge to get over the river.

You could also ride the bike trail in Folsom pretty much from your house, I think you'd catch it by Sibley/Prairie City, and then over to Dyke 8 hitting some of the little urban dirt trails that are dotted along the way. From there you could ride over Folsom Crossing and take the bike trail out to GB.

From Folsom Bike it looks like this:

http://app.strava.com/activities/45964429

Here is another ride where you can log some pretty good miles right from your house:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/45086983
    I ride from Sophia and D8 because it limits the asphalt a bit.
    There are lots of variations of that ride that can be done. Here's another one:

http://app.strava.com/activities/43641492

mtbr member
    On mestapho's route about getting over to Dyke 8, for other trails once at Dyke 8 you could take the Dyke 8 trail over to the Brown's Ravine entrance, and then cross over Green Valley Road at the Browns Ravine marina entrance and take the trail up to Wild Oaks park, go across the gravel parking lot to EDH Blvd up to Francisco Dr., turn right and go down past the school (on your left), turn right at the bottom of the hill and cross the foot bridge and take the NY Creek singletrack up to where it terminates at St. Andrews Dr. Nothing epic, but fun, urban MTB'ing...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    On mestapho's route about getting over to Dyke 8, for other trails once at Dyke 8 you could take the Dyke 8 trail over to the Brown's Ravine entrance, and then cross over Green Valley Road at the Browns Ravine marina entrance and take the trail up to Wild Oaks park, go across the gravel parking lot to EDH Blvd up to Francisco Dr., turn right and go down past the school (on your left), turn right at the bottom of the hill and cross the foot bridge and take the NY Creek singletrack up to where it terminates at St. Andrews Dr. Nothing epic, but fun, urban MTB'ing...
    That's the route I posted in reverse. I ride it both ways. I'm on those trails 2-3x/week midday. Just watch out for the PO on D8 right now. It's bad.

mtb'er
    I suggest deleting this thread, going out exploring on your own, and if you get caught on a horse trail (50% of the local trails), you can legitimately claim that you "didn't know" (there are very few signs stating "no bikes")

Otherwise, show up on Tuesday nights in Old Folsom, near Bicycles Plus by 6pm any Tuesday and the Folsom Breakouts will show you all your from-the-house options. Bring a sixer. Welcome to town.

Lay of the land: Mtb accessible areas - Google Maps

New to Folsom, new to riding-trailsmap.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ride Folsom and auburn if you're looking for a riding buddy

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I suggest deleting this thread, going out exploring on your own, and if you get caught on a horse trail (50% of the local trails), you can legitimately claim that you "didn't know" (there are very few signs stating "no bikes")

Otherwise, show up on Tuesday nights in Old Folsom, near Bicycles Plus by 6pm any Tuesday and the Folsom Breakouts will show you all your from-the-house options. Bring a sixer. Welcome to town.

Lay of the land: Mtb accessible areas - Google Maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailsmap.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	785129
    My neighbor suggested the Tuesday ride as well. I will have to give it a go. I assume bringing a keg of homebrew wouldn't be a bad way to make some friends, right?

mtbr member
    The BEST way if the brew is solid! Oh yeah and lights! Welcome the the area. I have been in town for only a few years and the mountain biking community is awesome! Lots of well organized fun local races and tons of trails to explore. Some of the more traveled trails in the area such as Salmon Falls (darrington trail), Granite Bay. Lake Natoma, Auburn, etc. are easy to get to by car for a good quick ride with options. You will be able to take dirt from your place to most of these trails but it takes some time to learn the connections, etc.

As suggested the Tuesday nights have always sounded good and I still want to get out to one, I have a tuesday crew up in Placerville so choosing is tough. Beyond that do some google searches for the trails I mentioned and with a short drive you are in fun land. Again welcome to our paradise and enjoy the beautiful biking.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by seedubxj View Post
    I assume bringing a keg of homebrew wouldn't be a bad way to make some friends, right?
    You'd fit right in If you are truly new to mt. biking, the Tues night rides can be a little fast, although there is usually a casual paced crew on every ride.

You can explore the 10 miles around Lake Natoma (enter at Willow Creek across from the Outlets)... if you can ride all of that, you'll have no problem on Tues nights!

mtbr member

Well I did a little bit of riding when I lived in Los Gatos. Demo, Wilder, Gap, Quicksilver. But I never made a habit of it. And I was a pack a day smoker at the time. No smokes for almost 2 years so I figured it was time to pick it back up and take it a bit more seriously. I'm 6'5" and 255lbs. I want to get back down to fightin' weight so to speak. Not to mention offset my homebrew calories. My neighbor Pat apparently rides with you guys sometimes. So I might show up with him in the near future.

Air Pirate
    I work at the big aerospace plant in Folsom and ride the area around Lake Natoma and Folsom Lake frequently. As mentioned previously in this thread, there are many trails around here that are not really legal for bikes to ride. Over the years what is and what is not has become a bit blurred, with no real good wording to be found in State Parks documents describing what is legal and what is not, casual and self-interpreted enforcement by the rangers, and very poor signage on the trails.

One of the rangers did give me the message that they all look at the dirt trails on the Factory Outlets side of Lake Natoma as bike-legal from the Nimbus Flat park entrance up to the Old Folsom Bridge (the steel truss "footbridge", the one next to the concrete Rainbow Bridge). On the other side of the lake (the side with the big cliffs) only actual dirt roads are bike-legal. Upstream of the Old Folsom Bridge the dirt is all off-limits until you get to the Beal's Point park entrance, and all the dirt downstream of the Nimbus Fish Hatchery is off-limits as well.

If you do want to ride in the forbidden areas, as a lot of people do, you take your chances. Just because others do it does not make it legal, so you run the risk of not only getting a bothersome and possibly expensive citation, but if the ranger wants to be a d*ck he/she is able/allowed to confiscate your bike until the court date.

If you get out to the Dike 8/Brown's Ravine area there are more trails that have legal ambiguity, but others might have more to say on that...
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just moved to the area. I live a stones throw away from the outlets. I've been told its possible to ride from my house and ride all the way to Granite Bay on mostly dirt. Is this true? If so, where do I pickup the trail? I have not explored the area much, as I'm still in the process of building my bike. But I'd like to have a destination ready once assembly is done. Any help would be great. Thanks all.
    I'm fairly certain you're my neighbor and fairly certain I've talked to you on thumpertalk before. I ride all the time in the area and would be willing to show you some cool trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris666 View Post
    I'm fairly certain you're my neighbor and fairly certain I've talked to you on thumpertalk before. I ride all the time in the area and would be willing to show you some cool trails.
    Hey Chris, I do believe you're right! I can't believe we still haven't crossed paths yet.

Maybe once I get my legs back we can go on a ride. Right now, I think I'd just make a fool of myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Don't even worry about that. I like to ride at any pace. I have more fun riding with others anyway.

mtbr member

Frame and fork arrived! Gunna build it on Tuesday since I'll be gone for the Easter weekend. New to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364514964.188595.jpg

mtbr member
    pat hit me up for tires, I think i am donating some parts to your cause.

Frame and fork arrived! Gunna build it on Tuesday since I'll be gone for the Easter weekend. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364514964.188595.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	785353

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer View Post
    pat hit me up for tires, I think i am donating some parts to your cause.
    Nice! Small world! Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

One step closer! Full build starts tomorrow. Hope to be riding by Thursday if all goes well. New to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364853626.030664.jpg

mtbr member
    Never mind the bike I'm checking out that kegorator and pepsi keg cooler in the background, solid!

mtbr member

Yeah, that's my other hobby. New to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883176.700290.jpgNew to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883219.570463.jpgNew to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883240.752890.jpgNew to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883261.916502.jpgNew to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883286.350653.jpgNew to Folsom, new to riding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364883343.935054.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah, that's my other hobby. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883176.700290.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	786701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883219.570463.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	786708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883240.752890.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	786709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883261.916502.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	786710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883286.350653.jpg 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	786711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364883343.935054.jpg 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	786712
    Haha!! Now I know where you live!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by chris666 View Post
    Haha!! Now I know where you live!
    What gave it away???

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The color of the house. I knew you were somewhere over on that side of the neighborhood from when we talked on thumpertalk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast