Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Costco 29er : Cannondale Trail SL4

46K views 81 replies 51 participants last post by  couchy3 
#1 ·
Saw this at the Redwood City costco. Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er in size medium only. Comes with kickstand and selling for $749.

TRAIL SL 29'ER 4

Anyone else saw these at another costco?

#36 · (Edited)
I am 100% positive Costco has sold Cannondale before. Why so certain you might ask? Well, I read it on the internet, so it must be true!
This link to an article posted on 4/11 (toward end of 6th paragraph) states this is the case. I suggest 'singletracker72' contact and yell at the writer of said article for being a clueless fool who spews bs from his piehole.
:p

#39 ·
You guys need to chill out. First off, I don't think it matters where you buy a bike as long as you ride it. It would be more tragic if you bought a high end bike and just park after a ride or so. OR you could be this kid:

'Ride Giant. Ride Whistler' Video Contest Winner Announced... - Pinkbike

Secondly, I think Cannondale is a good brand, despite the "crack-n-fail" title (actually the first time I've heard it). I've always wanted a Cannondale in the nineties when they came out with those oversized down tubes (friend had an M1000 that weighed less than 24 lbs in 1994!). The current OverMountain series (Jekyll and Claymore) look pretty awesome in my mind. I can see why Singletracker's feathers could be ruffled by claims of an inferior product.

Oh, and my first legitimate MTB bike? This Costco bike (Skykomish Marble Point).

20.5" Skykomish Marble Point $85 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#50 ·
No personal experience with recent Cannondale MTBs, but my wife has a new Supersix road bike and loves it. Great service and support from local dealer. My road bike is a Diamondback, which makes some of the best carbon frames I've ridden down to the some of the worst dime store bikes I've seen. Again, buy a bike for the specs and fit, not the name.

#52 ·
I remember multiple times when my local Costco would carry high-end and expensive bikes. For the life of me, I cannot remember what brand they were.

I understand Costco's bullying practices of manufacturers, and see why many people wouldn't want the store to carry their product. Interesting situation.

#57 ·
I owned a Super V many years ago and yesterday picked up a blacked out Cannondale from my local bike shop. Reputable guy/company for 50+ years. He was telling me all that has changed with Cannondale. I had no idea. I did choose the bike I bought because it was a few years old and one if the ones still handmade in the US. Having trouble identifying it's actual model. Says Ultra on the front forks, single head shock with lockout knob and rebound adjustment, Avid f/r disc brakes. SRAM x-7 shifters, Deore crank, X-7 rear derailleur, brand new Shimano SpeedDisc wheels and Crossroads Armadillo tires. The frame is a powdercoat black with dark black (almost camo looking) Cannondale decals. Serial is S042786. My guy said this bike was an excellent bike and being out of it for a while I can only take him for his word. There was another Cannondale that was a little newer, not in as good of shape, had rear suspension and just looked meaner. He said that bike isn't made in US and would be significantly heavier. Based on his recommendation I took this one home. Anyone tell me if its a good bike or just average. My budget was under 1k and I came in at $800. Thanks.

#58 ·
You girls are entirely too touchy.

To the guys trashing Cannondale: who the hell cares?? If you don't like their bikes, don't buy one! Personally, of all the bikes in the sub $1000 range, Scott and Cannondale have the only bikes that seem to fit me. Which one did I go with? The Cannondale. Why? Because it fit my body the best. Soo sorry that we don't all have a few grand to toss around like the rest of you, who seem to get a thrill from being all indie about your rides, which is probably just a coping mechanism for your lack of thrill down below. Mmmm, finally something powerful between your legs...

To the guys defending Cannondale: who gives a damn?? If you like the brand, keep riding it or selling it, and let people choose for themselves.

For everyone involved: timeless anecdote....arguing on the Internet is like competing in the special Olympics...win or lose, you're still retarded.

Cheers, turds.

#69 ·
"crack and fail" is an old, old nickname for Cannondale who had major problems in the early 1990s with their aluminium alloy mountain bike frames which commonly used 1" steerer tubes and were prone to cracking around the headtube, seat cluster and bottom bracket area

bear in mind this was the infancy of aluminium alloy frame construction and problems with the aluminium alloys, welding processes and heat treatment processes caused problems for many brands, as Cannondale were one of the leading brands using aluminium alloy they experienced more failures...

in more recent times, Cannondale has been well known in the bike industry for having extremely rigorous (some would say anal) levels of quality control and testing regimes and their products have been well received by customers and the bike industry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.