Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Costco 29er : Cannondale Trail SL4

46K views 81 replies 51 participants last post by  couchy3 
#1 ·
Saw this at the Redwood City costco. Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er in size medium only. Comes with kickstand and selling for $749.

TRAIL SL 29'ER 4

Anyone else saw these at another costco?

#22 ·
Scalpel , Jekyll , Flash all fantastic race winning and proven bikes Super six , CAAD10 and Super six EVO all award winning and race wining bikes ... GT Zaskar , Sensor , Karakoram all have won awards and far from Pacific Quality bikes Schwinn Select are very nice , Schwinn wallmart are not the same they are built on the pacific line ... The next thing you'll say is Trek and Specialized are better and anyone that knows anything about the bike industry knows that's not the case ... And yes Dorel made a great choice buying Cannondale ...

#12 ·
meh....

I'd buy one.

I think the fork says it all.
Ppppffffff!!!!

Dude. You just made me spit out my coffee. Best chuckle all morning.

For this price, you have to expect low rent but solid parts. Deore level components are fine. They'll last forever, but are on the heavy side and lack some 'nice' features.

Come on, tho... a hardcore mountain biker isn't going to shop at Costco. They are shooting more for mom and dad buying junior his first real mountain bike. This is a much better bike than the usual stuff you're going to find at any other big box kinda store.

And FWIU, the whole 'Crack-And-Fail" thing stopped when they started having bikes made in Taiwan and China. But, they are no longer the uberlight frames they once were.

#3 · (Edited)
:thumbsup: I legitimately thought you were full of *poop* but lo and behold, there they are, another "Mis-Ship" to Costco Redwood City. IIRC isn't Bob Weger's shop supposed to have that account?

Wonder what Crack-n-Fail will do this round. I should've snapped a pic but was too busy grabbing peanuts, milk, and flank.

@KevXR, the current owner is Dorel Corp.
"Manufactures of folding and ready to assemble furniture, bunk beds, futons, step stools, high chairs, and baby carriers."

Dorel Industries

#11 ·
They seem to have bought a lot of folding companies. Cannondale, Schwinn,...

The devil is in the details with any mtn bike. Less visible parts like cranks and headsets, wheel sets, etc. are where money is saved or spent. Everyone first looks at the brand of shifters and brakes.

Hey, it's Costco. Ride the hell out of it and bring it back if you don't like it.

#7 ·
ah, but these have the funky colors...

The one at Redwood City has an anodized burned orange color.

That is cooler. Honestly, is 750 bucks 29er with a semi-decent fork, 24 speed only...I could have gotten the real costco Northridge 29er for 4 Ben Franklin and had a very similar spec.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Dorel is more than just Cannondale, from there website:

"Dorel markets its Recreational/Leisure products under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP brand names. Please click on the logos below for more information on the products available under each brand."

#15 ·
Ok lets put an end to the BS on this string , A European distributor illegally sold these limited amount of bikes to Costco . Needless to say they are NO longer distributors of the Cannondale products ... These bikes sold at Costco carry NO warranty from Cannondale and Costco will NEVER have Cannondale products in their store again .... As for the Idiots saying Cannondale is a failing company you need to get your fact straight you're just an ignorant fool .... These ARE the FACTS .... Have a nice day ....

#21 ·
same as...

Actually, if it weren't for Dorel Industries buying Cannondale out of bankruptcy, I doubt Cannondale would be in business. They are fortunate that they were bought by a company with $2.4B in revenues, which probably gives them the freedom to not make every move according to their P&L statement. They have a couple of good models, but the rest fall into the Schwinn category, which is also owned by Dorel Industries.
Well, I dunno...

I see they fall into the same category as Giant, Trek, Specialized, Kona, whoever, with their usual baseball bat soda can aluminum frames. They have their own geometry and a few design features to try and differentiate themselves from each other, but really they are all pretty much the same thing. The frames are no better or worse. It's just what fits you and works best for you.

The only real difference is the components between their higher end alu bikes (which most have gone carbon at this point) and their lower rent stuff.

Now, the Cannondale Lefty fork is an amazing piece of engineering. If you set fire to Cannondales entire inventory except for Lefty forks, I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

#20 ·
Actually, if it weren't for Dorel Industries buying Cannondale out of bankruptcy, I doubt Cannondale would be in business. They are fortunate that they were bought by a company with $2.4B in revenues, which probably gives them the freedom to not make every move according to their P&L statement. They have a couple of good models, but the rest fall into the Schwinn category, which is also owned by Dorel Industries.

#24 ·
VERY cool of you e-toughguy. In fact, I have seen Cannondale products in Costco before over the last several years so never say never. . . . .

It's just what some companies do when they need to dump inventory. :thumbsup:

#25 · (Edited)
No you have not seen Cannondale in Costco before they don't sell to them Smart guy ... I'm a shop owner and got the update from the CEO of Dorel today on the phone ... Cannondale and GT are closed out to us not costco ... Like i said a European distributor did it illegally it won't happen again Toughguy .... Next time get a clue before you comment .....

#49 · (Edited)
Wow!

You really need a cookie and a nap.

Just having a good chuckle over the expressed anger to actual issue ratio in that post. It's like you blew off a waiter's head with a shotgun for putting too much pepper on your salad.

I'm gunna look rad riding a Costco Cannondale while eating my very berry sundae. Yeah bro!
Don't forget that crappy pizza!

#28 ·
wow, this thread is way more entertaining than I would have guessed from the title

PS. I think I read somewhere that the SL4 or possibly the SL5 was Cannondale's top selling model. Not too surprising seeing them show up in Costco. Medium size only though is pretty funny.

#31 ·
Yes Mr. I know all shop owner, they have been sold there in the past. Sorry to break the news to you. It may have even been before Dorel took ownership of Cannondale.

Are you always this friendly and cool to potential customers? Good luck with that chip on your shoulder.......

#41 ·
Yes Mr. I know all shop owner, they have been sold there in the past. Sorry to break the news to you. It may have even been before Dorel took ownership of Cannondale.

Are you always this friendly and cool to potential customers? Good luck with that chip on your shoulder.......
No chip , just don't like when stupid people speak of things they know nothing about ... What shop do I own ? You would never know if you walked through the front door and we're the 3rd largest in sales for Cannondale in the US ... It's a fact that this is first time in Cannondales history they've been put in Costco ... I'm just glad that distributor has been cut ... Nothing devalues a brand like ending up in Costco or walmart ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.