mtbr member

New bike shop in Folsom

New shop opening in Folsom Pavilions at Folsom-Auburn and Greenback, right behind the oil n lube. They are selling Cannondale and Jamis. I think they're the only Jamis seller I've seen around here. The employees say they want to add a premium MTB brand like Pivot. They are "soft opening" now while they build bikes with full opening on Monday. Their sign just says Bike Shop. They gave me an unclear story about the name of the place - like they want to call it Folsom Bike but there's already another large successful shop by that name so they aren't putting it on the door. They said the owner has several other bike shops in the Sac suburbs. I bought some bar tape.

Locals may recall Bike Closet was in this shopping center, selling more accessories than bikes, but didn't last long. The LAB is there too, next to Coffee Republic.

I posted this on Bike Forums yesterday but it only just occurred to me to share it here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=sans-serif]They are selling Cannondale and Jamis. I think they're the only Jamis seller I've seen around here. The employees say they want to add a premium MTB brand like Pivot.
    Cannondale is not a premium brand?

Dropshot Champ!
    Folsom Bike must have lawyers on retainer.

It's kinda impressive.

James.Hamilton
    It is great to see the bike shop industry continuing to grow in Folsom. We are lucky to already have great shops and now more interest and continued support will only add to the fun. I'm going to stop by say hello.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Folsom Bike must have lawyers on retainer.

It's kinda impressive.
    What is impressive?

I would think any business would have their own lawyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FullBladdy View Post
    It is great to see the bike shop industry continuing to grow in Folsom.
    It seems pretty brutal competition to me. In the last couple years we've churned through Bicycle Planet, Bicycles plus sold out to Mike's, Elite tried a BMX outlet behind the pub and didn't hang on for long, and the aforementioned Bicycle Closet didn't seem to have much going for it. I wonder how the cruiser shop on Sutter St is doing.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    It seems pretty brutal competition to me. In the last couple years we've churned through Bicycle Planet, Bicycles plus sold out to Mike's, Elite tried a BMX outlet behind the pub and didn't hang on for long, and the aforementioned Bicycle Closet didn't seem to have much going for it. I wonder how the cruiser shop on Sutter St is doing.
    Yes...and while not 100%-dedicated full fledged bike shops, there is also the REI in town, the new Sports LTD by TraderJoe's (who has a great mechanic working there...Pete Tipshus by the way) and there is also a VeloFix van in the area now too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I forgot about that weird little store. Dick's is selling stuff that's a step between REI and Walmart.

Even the Walmarts here have nicer bikes than you'd find nationwide, accessories too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Bicycles Plus used to be in that shopping center before they moved across the river. Maybe Mike's Bikes still has the old signs somewhere in the back. :-)

I traded in a scrap frame from Denio's for a Cannondale hard tail from BP when they were at the old location ~1996.

mtbr member
    A little off topic, but still about Folsom bike shops. Someone out there has to remember these. I was just a kid at the time and have often wondered which shops these were. There was a shop in probably the early 90's on Natoma St, near Coloma St. just down from the auto parts store that used to be there. And the other one was in the shopping center where D icks is at Blue Ravine and E. Bidwell. If I remember right it was across from where the Golden 1 is. I bought my first real bike there when I was 13. I had to save forever to buy that Trek 820. What shops were those?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    A little off topic, but still about Folsom bike shops. Someone out there has to remember these. I was just a kid at the time and have often wondered which shops these were. There was a shop in probably the early 90's on Natoma St, near Coloma St. just down from the auto parts store that used to be there.
    ^This is before my time here in Folsom (didn't move here in 2001) but I think the shop in this location may have been the old Folsom Bike Works (or FBW). This is the shop where the Folsom Breakouts originated from and there is still an FBW on the Breakout jerseys so they can still pay homage to it.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    the new Sports LTD by TraderJoe's
    I didn't know that was there now. I think this is all locally owned too? One article says it's the same guy that owns Tahoe Sports LTD but doesn't mention Chico or Redding Sports LTDs. Either way I like shopping local! Cool.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Cannondale is not a premium brand?
    I've always considered Cannondale to be a mainstream brand, like Specialized or Trek. They've lost market share over the years and are now significantly smaller than the big two but they've never been a boutique brand like Turner, Knolly, or Pivot.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    A little off topic, but still about Folsom bike shops. Someone out there has to remember these. I was just a kid at the time and have often wondered which shops these were. There was a shop in probably the early 90's on Natoma St, near Coloma St. just down from the auto parts store that used to be there. And the other one was in the shopping center where D icks is at Blue Ravine and E. Bidwell. If I remember right it was across from where the Golden 1 is. I bought my first real bike there when I was 13. I had to save forever to buy that Trek 820. What shops were those?
    I moved here in 1999 and Folsom Bike & Ski was the shop on the SE corner of Natoma and Coloma.

Prior to that, it might have been Folsom Bike Works... although I recall people saying FBW was across the street on the NE corner.

The original Breakouts in front of the FBW shop (possibly 1988):
    New bike shop in Folsom-16999104_259249574518310_6134285225656896606_n.jpg

A few generations..
    New bike shop in Folsom-dsc05621.jpg
    New bike shop in Folsom-dsc05634.jpg

Epic Cycles had a somewhat brief life next to where La Fiesta is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just heard about Sports LTD yesterday. A few interesting brands - mtb is blowin up.