mtbr member
    Dec 2016

New Bike Park Coming to the East Bay

Hi MTBRers,
    I want to let you know about Dirt World, a new 2.1-acre bike park under development in Richmond, CA. We’ve gotten city approval and have tapped Alex Fowler of Action Sports Construction, a true dirt guru, to lead design and building. Current plans include two pump tracks, lots of jump lines, and an assortment of wooden obstacles.
    I’m on the steering committee, along with other mountain bikers, BMXers, a great landscape architect with deep public park experience, etc. We’re in the process of fundraising $60,000 to get the park built. We’d love your help: If you can donate, please do. If you work in the industry and can donate product to raffle off or sponsor the park, we’d love to talk to you. If you live in the Bay Area and want to volunteer, offer design suggestions, etc., we’d love to have you. We’re also looking for in-kind donations: tools, rock, lumber, etc.
    Richmond is a tough town with a shortage of recreational space. With Dirt World we’re aiming offer youngsters in our community an opportunity to get into a healthy and challenging sport – and to provide a top-notch riding zone for experienced riders from around Northern California.
    Please check out website at dirtworld.org – shout out to the awesome Bryce Betts for his design help -- or drop me a line at info@dirtworld.
    My name is A.C.
    (This thread is also cross-posted in the DJ/Park/etc forum)

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    That's rad! Alex is a good choice - he's got a good reputation with city/government folks (he's doing design work on something here in SF too).

You might want to talk to Brooks (one of the Truckee Bike Park founders - contact info on this page Truckee Bike Park) if you haven't already. I'm sure he's got a lot of knowledge and lessons-learned stuff he could share. I only know him tangentially, but he's a good guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks the tip! I'm not a snow person. I'm already ready for that stuff to melt in the Sierra so I can get back to North* and hit up Truckee Bike Park.

mtbr member
    If there's a need for a welder or any welding that may need to be done, I'm your guy to volunteer a few weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Awesome. Freaking awesome.

mtbr member
    Jumps coming closer to Oakland. Me like!

used to be RipRoar
    Way cool! Would be more than happy to donate some product for upcoming raffles. PM me when your at that point. Donation sent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    DSMXSteve, will definitely hit you up for some welding help at some point. We have a shipping container for tools that could use some reinforcing. Thanks much for the offer!

TraxFactory, huge thanks for the donation! Will PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by At*mz View Post
    DSMXSteve, will definitely hit you up for some welding help at some point. We have a shipping container for tools that could use some reinforcing. Thanks much for the offer!

TraxFactory, huge thanks for the donation! Will PM.
    I can score on shorter lengths of pipe as well if that'll ever be needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Great!

mtbr member
    Just donated $50, and told a bunch of east bay bike friends about the project. !!!

Hella Olde

Richmond Dirt World

Richmond stand up! I have a couple of friends there that I visit after riding the comparatively boring Wildcat/Tilden loop. I will look for volunteering opps.

Here's a better link: Dirt World

Off-topic but I came across this downed Bay up the hill from the 'Mond on Havey Canyon:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bike Park Coming to the East Bay-baytree.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IP_Ale View Post
    Just donated $50, and told a bunch of east bay bike friends about the project. !!!
    Huge thanks, IP_Ale! And thanks for spreading the word!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Richmond stand up! I have a couple of friends there that I visit after riding the comparatively boring Wildcat/Tilden loop. I will look for volunteering opps.

Here's a better link: Dirt World

Off-topic but I came across this downed Bay up the hill from the 'Mond on Havey Canyon:
    Thanks for getting word out DH40. We can use the help. If people have contacts in the bike industry, please circulate to them -- we are hoping to line up the kind of sponsorships that the bike parks in Marin and San Jose have scored.

And is that a YT? Looks lovely.

mtbr member
    Will you allow mountainboards? My dirthead friends and I love the pumps and jumps at Calabazas in San Joser area, and would be stoked to ride a new spot.

If you all think there are no fun places to legally ride and rip on a mountain bike, you have NO IDEA how difficult it is to have fun mountainboarding/off-road skateboarding.

Ride on!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Wow, what a great surprise. So unexpected but such a great effort.

I will publicize with all my industry friends.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi Francis, we would LOVE any publicity you can help us with! Alex Fowler has been a real friend to the City of Richmond -- a year ago he helped build our crew build the city's first public pump track, which was super-cool. And he's been a big supporter of this effort to construct a full-on bike park.

Hi MtnBored, I don't know that we've thought about boards at all. My guess is that people wouldn't trip since they're not motorized.

mtbr member
    Congrats Richmond!

Now if only we could get something nice east of the tunnel...
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Richmond is a tough place. So are all the other towns around here -- North Richmond, San Pablo, El Sob, etc. That's our reality. We're not fancy. We're not wealthy. But there are a lot folks around here working hard to bring some fun and healthy recreation into our communities. If we can make the bike park work here it may serve as a model that can be exported to other economically disadvantaged towns around the country.

Hella Olde
    I am successfully resisting the strong urge to push back against the tone of your 'comment'. Damn, I must finally be growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Seed View Post
    A helpful link if this project actually moves forward:

CrimeView Community Incident Map

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    It's that Pete guy again, isn't it? Don't let that guy get you down. We've had a bunch of armed robberies and stabbings in my hood, and I'm in the SF Marina. Bad things happen everywhere.

mtbr member
    Negative rep speaks for itself
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Perfect timing to make an end-of-the-year taxable donation

Having ridden other local parks extensively in the last 5 years I can throw a few suggestions if you guys are interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Perfect timing to make an end-of-the-year taxable donation

Having ridden other local parks extensively in the last 5 years I can throw a few suggestions if you guys are interested.
    Hi CrozCountry,

Would love to get your input. We have gotten our first grant and have a bunch of public events coming up starting in Jan. More deets soon.

We would love donations! We are fiscally sponsored by Richmond Friends of Recreation, a 501(c)(3) focused on improving parks and sports facilities in our area. So your donations are absolutely tax-deductible.

Donation info here:

https://squareup.com/store/belong2rfor/

And to be clear, we have the support of the city to transform the 2.1-acres into a bike park. Our job is the raise the capital to do it.

Happy Holidays to all! Hopefully, 2017 will suck less than this year!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Took a drive today to check out the Future Dirt World location. It is not an easy site to find, with many one way streets and dead end roads. When I found it I was surprised to find a rideable track, with lots of rollers and a few jumps. I could picture it as a nice destination when there are more riders there. It is only a couple of blocks from a BART station, it would be nice to jump on a train and go for a shred.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Herman View Post
    Took a drive today to check out the Future Dirt World location. It is not an easy site to find, with many one way streets and dead end roads. When I found it I was surprised to find a rideable track, with lots of rollers and a few jumps. I could picture it as a nice destination when there are more riders there. It is only a couple of blocks from a BART station, it would be nice to jump on a train and go for a shred.
    Hey Ken, glad you found the spot!

For anyone interested: We are having a community day at the site on the MLK National Day of Service, Jan. 16. We'll be cleaning up the area, doing some building of temp jump lines, etc.

We'll be there from 10AM on. I'll post more details tonight.

And feel free to hit me up at info@dirtworld.org for more info.

mtbr member

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    How is it possible that the GoFundMe for this project is at ZERO???

https://www.gofundme.com/help-build-...rk-in-richmond

Hey At*mz is that fundraiser yours/still something you want us to support?

mtbr member
    Any new news on this project? I'm working in Richmond now and might be able to volunteer some time after work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Herman View Post
    https://youtu.be/bfMFrL33r38

mtbr member
    Sep 2017