Thread: New Bike Light

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New Bike Light

Heard about this new light on Kickstarter. Designed here in Mtn View, Needs funding. Made in the USA too!

The Future of Bike Lighting by Barry Beams — Kickstarter

Anyone seen it or tried it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Cool looking light. Going to be a hard sell against Magicshine and pals. This guy would get more respect if it were manufactured domestically like Light & Motion.

What's up with these operations like Kickstarter? If you really believe in your product then get the funding together yourself. I didn't go asking people for money when I started my business.

Sorry, a little OT, but not really.

Hi.
    I don't see how that's any better than anything else made by the guys over on the Lights thread. And at least their stuff's made domestically, -1000 for making the stuff in China.

Here's a protip - head to Dealextreme and get lights of equal quality and brightness for 20% of the price. Same batteries, chargers, and LED emitters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I don't see how that's any better than anything else made by the guys over on the Lights thread. And at least their stuff's made domestically, -1000 for making the stuff in China.

Here's a protip - head to Dealextreme and get lights of equal quality and brightness for 20% of the price. Same batteries, chargers, and LED emitters.
    I don't see much of a selection at Dealextreme.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffover3 View Post
    I don't see much of a selection at Dealextreme.
    Check out the flashlights; there are over 1800 available. Since the Barry Beams light doesn't list brightness (as far as I can tell), we have to assume that it's limited to about the same range as other lights using 18650 type Lithium batteries. From what I've seen, that's <1000 lumens (claimed.)

You can get a 900+ lumen light (claimed) on DX with batteries, charger and a handlebar mount for your bike for <$30 shipped. Alternatively, if you want something with higher quality, head over to the Lights subforum and check out what's going on over there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you want Chinese-made go here.

CREE XPG R5 1000LM 3-LED 3-Mode White Bike Light with Mount Bracket and Battery Pack (4 x 18650) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

The Barry Beams light does look like it has a better beam pattern. That much is impressive.

mtbr member
    Kind of/very OT.. Would you use Kickstarter? You are essentially funding a product/project with no return to yourself other then maybe having that product available to you later on at a cost. You don't even know how they plan to use your funds..

*note: just asking this out of curiosity.

Medium?
    I'd love to see the Barry Beams light in the shootout. It's a bit too expensive for what you get maybe.

I am a Kickstarter supporter for Hexbright. It's been over a year since they took my money. It's suppose to ship sometime in Nov or something. It is a programmable light. I became a supporter thinking I would build a Hexbright-compatible bike light. We'll see how far I get with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I feel like people who are going to get something done are going to find a way to fund their project too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ended up getting a HEXBRIGHT that I funded over a year ago....pretty awesome LIGHT. Quite a wait but like getting a custom bike you have to wait. Love the light FYI...need to find a way to attach to my bike though should not be too hard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    If you want Chinese-made go here.

CREE XPG R5 1000LM 3-LED 3-Mode White Bike Light with Mount Bracket and Battery Pack (4 x 18650) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

The Barry Beams light does look like it has a better beam pattern. That much is impressive.
    Cheaper at Amazon.