mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need Short Loop for Rockville

Looks like I have a small window (1.5 hours) to explore Rockville next Monday since I'm n the area. If I had more time I would definitely just go around exploring, as I know there's no exact best loop/route; since I have very limited time and this being my first time, can someone recommend me a good route that's slightly over an hour, covers some of the more fun trails (I'm an intermediate rider so nothing too techy).

Thanks in advance.

Contains no juice.
    Man, R-ville is so small that you really aren't more than 15 minutes away from the parking lot at all times*. My suggestion would be to go through the gate, turn right, and head up. Every time you see a turn that takes you up, take it. Then you'll get to the top and have a whole slew of options to choose from. You can't get lost, really, beacuse each fork takes you to another trail that eventually takes you back to the parking lot.

*Take cash in case the ticket machine won't take CCs. I forget how much it is to park there, but it's kind of ridiculous.
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if you’re on a bike.

NedwannaB
    Was gonna say, is there even a "long" loop there?😳😎👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Was gonna say, is there even a "long" loop there?😳😎👍
    For you, there might be quite a few!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    For you, there might be quite a few!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Right. Wait! Whuuuuut?!?....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Uncle
    Rockville aka Bizzaroland
    I swear after hitting the 2 hour mark, total mileage for the ride starts to decrease, as if Ferris Bueller has Cameron's dad's Strava account in reverse up on jackstands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Rockville aka Bizzaroland
    I swear after hitting the 2 hour mark, total mileage for the ride starts to decrease, as if Ferris Bueller has Cameron's dad's Strava account in reverse up on jackstands.
    I am so glad someone else feels that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    haha, thanks all. Got it... in a nutshell just go there and mess around on the trails for about an hour since it's so small.

In terms of enjoying the short ride... shall I bring a short/mid travel 29er or mid/long travel 26?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'd bring the mid travel bike personally. It's pretty pedally and there are only a few short connectors that a long travel bike would be a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome. Sounds perfect for the Ripley.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Awesome. Sounds perfect for the Ripley.
    Believe it or not.

mtbr member
    Rode there dozens of times. Its a place you go and just have fun finding stuff. Make your own routes, you cant get lost. We would always start right through the lime stone then up left climb for a few minutes then hit the short DH to the bathrooms. Then around the manzanita chunky tech. Through the middle up rock garden down the rock chute then left around the back side. Never knew the trail names. Follow these directions and you’re sure to have fun lol. Plenty of YT vids. Place has its own charm. Can be busy as F on wknds. Def not long travel terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Rode there dozens of times. Its a place you go and just have fun finding stuff. Make your own routes, you cant get lost. We would always start right through the lime stone then up left climb for a few minutes then hit the short DH to the bathrooms. Then around the manzanita chunky tech. Through the middle up rock garden down the rock chute then left around the back side. Never knew the trail names. Follow these directions and you’re sure to have fun lol. Plenty of YT vids. Place has its own charm. Can be busy as F on wknds. Def not long travel terrain.
    Yeah, I'm beginning to realize that my Ripley does just about everything better than my long travel 26. Finding it hard these days to get myself to bring the small wheel, long legged steed out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Man, R-ville is so small that you really aren't more than 15 minutes away from the parking lot at all times*. My suggestion would be to go through the gate, turn right, and head up. Every time you see a turn that takes you up, take it. Then you'll get to the top and have a whole slew of options to choose from. You can't get lost, really, beacuse each fork takes you to another trail that eventually takes you back to the parking lot.

*Take cash in case the ticket machine won't take CCs. I forget how much it is to park there, but it's kind of ridiculous.
    It's $3 per person entry, parking is free. Rockville is best when you have a guide.. yeah you can't really get lost there, but it helps to know the fun routes otherwise you find yourself climbing stuff that's more fun to descend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    It's $3 per person entry, parking is free. Rockville is best when you have a guide.. yeah you can't really get lost there, but it helps to know the fun routes otherwise you find yourself climbing stuff that's more fun to descend.
    Any route suggestions with 1.5 hours available?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Any route suggestions with 1.5 hours available?
    The Rockhopper Festival at Rockville consists of a XC Day and an Enduro day with 4 stages. Check out the first post on Monticello Cycling Club – A hub for Solano County cyclist for the 2017 race info. There are Strava segments linked there.

I love the 4-stage Enduro and it should take just about all the 1.5 hours. That pretty much covers the best of RV baring a few trails. Or you can mix in the XC loop if you are looking for more distance and less gnar.