mtbr member

New question here. Need Help with Lost/Stolen GT Bike... strange story.

I am very saddened by the lost of my bike today. I hope someone can help me out here.
    This is a very strange story:
    I went riding out at Skeggs today, like most Fridays. I was finished with my ride at 2:30 and drove home. Well when I was almost home I looked in my rearview mirror and I was in shock to notice my bike was not in my rack!!! I am 100% sure I loaded the bike on to the rack on the back of my Tahoe and secured it like I normally do. As I drove off onto Hwy 35 North bound I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the bike there. I am not sure how many times I looked in the rearview mirror on the way home but I normally glance back there just to be sure all is okay. I really don't remember when was the last time I saw it back there. I drove on hwy 35 N and merged onto hwy 92 east. When I got to Crystal Springs Reservoir I stopped at the light to make a left turn onto 35 North. I was at this light for about 2-3 minutes and drove for about 3-4 minutes until I entered the onramp for 280 south. I was on 280 S for about 1 min when I noticed the bike was gone.
    So I got off the next exit and back tracked my entire route immediately. I had only been about 20 min since I left Skeggs. I drove all the way back and did not see anything on the side of the road.
    I then drove back on the same route home and saw no signs of my bike.

I am not sure what happened to it. It is very strange. I don't think it could have just fell off b/c the rack is very secure and it is unlikely it could just fall off even if I did not tighten the top hook that secures it. The rack is like the ones you see on buses and the bike wheels sit inside hoops that hold the bike in pretty well. You can see a pic of the rack below.

I have used this rack many many times and it is very secure. I just can't see how the bike could just fall off. If it fell off, wouldn't I hear it? Or wouldn't I hear the car behind me screach to a halt? Wouldn't someone try to let me know if they saw it fall off? (unless no one was behind me.) I'm 100% sure some one was behind me on Hwy 92 and 280. I just don't remember if someone was behind me on Hwy 35. I don't know if someone was behind me when I stopped at the light on Hwy 92 to make a left turn.

Then I thought maybe someone stole the bike. But how? The only time I stopped was on 92 to make the left. Could someone just quickly remove my bike while I was at this stop? Has any one heard of this? There were many cars driving by at 50mph and no pedestrians at this stop. No people on foot in this area and no buildings or businesses.

Below is a pic of what my bike looks like.

I'm totally bummed and confused.
    Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.
    Please keep an eye out for my bike.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member

Holy crap !

That is a strange one. Sorry to hear it. Man that must be driving you up a wall !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    It's totally driving up the wall. I can't figure it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    check craigslist, call local police see if anyone reported the bike.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ernb View Post
    check craigslist, call local police see if anyone reported the bike.
    This!

Sorry to hear. Hoping someone found it and reported it as found property to the PD.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

injured reserve list
    That sucks to hear about your bike loss. Maybe next time you should also put a cable lock on your bike/rack just to make sure it won't get stolen and if it does fall off the it'll still be attatched to the vehicle and you can kick yourself in the ass for not securing it properly to the rack.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Wow crazy story, this hits close to home b/c I (i'm sure many) do the same drive, same steps, etc.

Could it fall off so quietly you didn't notice? You could test it (stationary) by having a buddy trigger the fall (with any old bike) while you are in the driver's seat and observe what kinds of sounds it makes on the way off the car.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Condolences on this weird loss.
    I gotta ask though: how far off road did you look?
    At speed on Rt 35 something that fell off could bounce a heck of a ways OFF the road and not be visible. Time to rustle up a posse and walk sections near bumps and corners?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

weird!

RE: if it fell off and somebody behind you had to swerve, there is a good chance you would not hear them. Several times over the years I've looked in the rear view mirror and *seen* cars swerving all over the highway (once, I saw a car going *off* the highway pointed perpendicular to the flow of traffic - scary). It's just too noisy with the wind to hear tires squealing, I guess. This is with cars not that far behind, maybe 50-100 ft tops.

As far as where the bike would end up, it seems like there's a lot of trees/bushes/tall grass that could hide it pretty well.

+1 on the suggestion to walk/ride the route and see what you can see in the bushes/weeds. Of course by now somebody may well have scooped it up. On the other hand if you don't look closely you might regret it later (I'm sure I would).

That section of hwy 35 seems somewhat bumpy (I rode it on the road bike a couple weeks back) and combined with the curves I'd guess that'd be the section that might have shaken it loose. That or 92 down to the first light. Not so much 280 itself I'd guess.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Condolences on this weird loss.
    I gotta ask though: how far off road did you look?
    At speed on Rt 35 something that fell off could bounce a heck of a ways OFF the road and not be visible. Time to rustle up a posse and walk sections near bumps and corners?
    I'm now picturing a bike coming off laterally on a hard turn, hitting the ground at 45mph or so, immediately rolling like a rogue tire, and shooting off into the woods or blasting through the front door of the Bella Vista, straight through the back, and off into the trees never to be seen again.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice and condolences. I am so bummed.
    I just have a hard time thinking that the bike fell off the rack. I just don't see how it's possible it is a super secure rack. I put my other bike on the rack when i got home an shook the rack and car and as hard as I could and just could not get the bike to even come close to falling off. I even tried leaving the upper hook completely loose. Then I tried to pull the bike off and no can do. The hook just falls down the post by gravity and keeps the bike in place. The hook does not go upperward to release the bike easily.
    Could it be possible that someone stole the bike while I was at the traffic light??? It is a longer than average light, so I was stopped for a while. Or is that just crazy thinking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Most likely it fell off. Check the car and biker forum. People have reported that the hook on the rack slides up even though the screw securing the hook is tight. All it takes is one big bump...
    But yeah I think its highly unlikely that someone made off with your bike while you were stopped waiting to make a turn.