Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Proud lame eBiker

N* Enduro Race this Sunday

Anyone else going to go check it out?

I'm curious to see what all this "enduro" hoopla is all about and figured why not hit it this weekend.

Enduro Race | Northstar California Resort

Race Details
    Our 2013 Enduro Race on July 21, 2013 will consist of two timed special stages. There will be two untimed transition stages that will require uphill pedaling and the use of our chair lifts to get to each special stage. Each competitor will have an assigned start time at each special stage. Any competitor that misses their assigned start time will be disqualified. The competitor in each category with the fastest combined time from the special stages will win the event.
    The race will begin with an untimed transition stage. This transition stage will be a mass/wave start leaving from the Village at Northstar. A decent climb to mid mountain followed by a lift ride on the Vista Express will get you to the start of special stage 1. Racers will be allowed a onetime ride up Vista with registration. Special stage 1 is a combination of intermediate downhill and pedally single track. Transition stage 2 is a decent climb on fire road taking you directly to special stage 2. Special stage 2 has more technical downhill with some pedaling needed.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    only 2 stages and a chairlift ride???? hardly an enduro.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

N* Enduro Race this Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    only 2 stages and a chairlift ride???? hardly an enduro.
    Yeah but they are "special stages" !! ! Special!

:-D

I just wanna go fast...
    Interesting...

I'll be up there that weekend. Maybe I should bring my short travel bike too...

mtbr member
    Interesting. It doesn't seem that this was very well promoted, but NorthStar definitely has some potential for a legitimate enduro. Surely they could throw a couple of black-diamond runs in there too!

mtbr member
    the course that they posted online looks weak, to go along with the total lack of promotion.

Proud lame eBiker
    Well, maybe they just threw this out there to see how it goes and maybe grow it with more/better events in the future. One could hope....

I was bummed to see the California Enduro Series fill up so rapidly and I figured I might as well check out what N* has to offer on that end of things. Really though, it's just an excuse to get on the bike and go fast!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    the course that they posted online looks weak, to go along with the total lack of promotion.
    Are you just going by the vague course description on their website or am I missing something?

Might not be a "Real enduro" but it's a race on mountain bikes mostly DOWN a mountain so my interest is piqued.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Well, maybe they just threw this out there to see how it goes and maybe grow it with more/better events in the future. One could hope....
    Yes that was my thought too: this is a test run. First it was part of the DH series, then it was dropped out of that. And the course doesn't look too much different from the weekly XC series course.

Odd they skipped Flameout, that seems like the most "enduro" trail there. OTOH Knick Knack to Paddywhack should make the DH-bike riders break a decent sweat.

Good luck to the racers, report back on how it was!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Are you just going by the vague course description on their website or am I missing something?

Might not be a "Real enduro" but it's a race on mountain bikes mostly DOWN a mountain so my interest is piqued.
    my comment was based on the route shown here:
    http://www.northstarcalifornia.com/n...course-map.jpg

I would like to see something more like using their regular DH race courses but with enough pedaling between stages (and perhaps some in the timed stages) to make a DH bike impractical. I drove 4 hours each way to race the China Peak enduro a few weeks ago, and that was really fun. Northstar has the trails and logistics to do an even better event, but this is just not much of an effort IMO. If they want to see what kind of interest they get putting on a race like this, then at least promote it. As it is, I could see them getting a low turnout due to lack of publicity and lack of excitement about the course, and then deciding there isn't enough interest to put more effort into this format of racing. That would be a shame.

I just wanna go fast...

I would like to see something more like using their regular DH race courses but with enough pedaling between stages (and perhaps some in the timed stages) to make a DH bike impractical. I drove 4 hours each way to race the China Peak enduro a few weeks ago, and that was really fun. Northstar has the trails and logistics to do an even better event, but this is just not much of an effort IMO. If they want to see what kind of interest they get putting on a race like this, then at least promote it. As it is, I could see them getting a low turnout due to lack of publicity and lack of excitement about the course, and then deciding there isn't enough interest to put more effort into this format of racing. That would be a shame.

Didn't see the course map.. Huh. I haven't heard of half of those trails but I have only ever ridden DH there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm about 50% decided-to-go. Any other 40+'ers?

mtbr member

Northstar has the trails and logistics to do an even better event, but this is just not much of an effort IMO. If they want to see what kind of interest they get putting on a race like this, then at least promote it. As it is, I could see them getting a low turnout due to lack of publicity and lack of excitement about the course, and then deciding there isn't enough interest to put more effort into this format of racing. That would be a shame.
    Thats pretty much how Northstar rolls. Dismal turnout for the first XC race due to them changing the schedule so they could accommodate Tough Mudder. Other thing to consider is many local riders are doing the Trail 100, the day before, I'd expect turnout to be really low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode the published course today. I'm pretty "meh" on it. I dont really care for the mix of trails. Seems like the only way to race the more DH sections is just to take greater risks. Not what I'm looking for.

Proud lame eBiker
    So....lightweight 6" bike or heavier dh-ish 7" bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I rode the published course today. I'm pretty "meh" on it. I dont really care for the mix of trails. Seems like the only way to race the more DH sections is just to take greater risks. Not what I'm looking for.
    Isn't that always the case with racing? Not trolling, sincerely asking.

I've ridden all those "dh" trails (Big Trees, Manure Pile, Woods) on my 5" bike, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The first non timed stage...base lodge up to mid mountain would be a major drag on the DH bike. You'd be glad to have it on the first third of the first timed stage, but whatever time it saved you you'd loose on the remainder on the first timed stage which is fire road descent, then trail/flowy with little peddling. The latter 2/3rds of the first timed stage you could rail on a short travel FS and probably do very well on with a HT.

The second non-timed stage is a pretty short and straight forward fireroad climb. You could survive it on a DH bike .

The second timed stage starts out on manure pile which has some awkward rocky sections (DH preferred), but that's short and next thing you're on a Woods which is just a pretty nice little single track with rock garden every so often to screw you just when you get into the flow. It ends on the the little jumps course area that runs out into the base lodge. Not sure which of the lines it will take through the jumps course, but I'd bet on the easier.

The first sections on both timed courses are pretty ragged out...rutted, rocky, and filled with moon dust. It looks like they're shuffling these race segments off on to the less well maintained segments.

Perhaps I expected more, but what with the cutting on and off trails at intersections, and segments that are pretty clearly planned DH, it didnt seem to fit the enduro ideal putting together the fun parts of a cross country ride. It may sound kind of cheezy, but its not "holistic"; very artificial in fact. I'm probably too picky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Isn't that always the case with racing? Not trolling, sincerely asking.
    Well, aside from risk taking, there's "fitness", "planning", "focus", "equipment", "experience"...just off the top of my head. For me at least, it seemed like the only thing I really had to offer at this point was risk taking on the DH sections. In the context of this race I'm not near enough of a DHer to make it worth racing.

Good job!

Well, aside from risk taking, there's "fitness", "planning", "focus", "equipment", "experience"...just off the top of my head. For me at least, it seemed like the only thing I really had to offer at this point was risk taking on the DH sections. In the context of this race I'm not near enough of a DHer to make it worth racing.
    Gotcha. I guess I look at it as planning, focus and experience all feeding into "skill". But I hear you, I had planned to race the DH series this year but despite big gains in fitness off-season my times are still no where near being competitive, so...

It looks like they're shuffling these race segments off on to the less well maintained segments.
    Oh trust me, the whole park is like that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode mineshaft, coaster, "afterburner" [or something like that, comes straight down the vista chair on the right side], plus several other things I'm forgetting and Big trees was clearly the most f'd out thing I saw.

For the kind of Dinero they get for a ticket there, they could spend a little more on trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They should run Boondocks, Gemini and Sticks and Stones as the timed stages. All very rideable on a 6" bike.

brownpow! (?)
    Does this mean the park is closed to non-racers Sunday?

Edit: N/M: "The following trails will be closed on Sunday, July 21 for the Enduro race: Big Trees, Knick Knack, Paddywack, Manure Pile, Upper Woods and Deerpath. Lower Gypsy set to open August 1, weather and conditions permitting, with a new GoPro feature. Have a great weekend!"
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

No, just those trails they named are closed, and likely it'll all be over by afternoon.

Proud lame eBiker
    The first non timed stage...base lodge up to mid mountain would be a major drag on the DH bike. You'd be glad to have it on the first third of the first timed stage, but whatever time it saved you you'd loose on the remainder on the first timed stage which is fire road descent, then trail/flowy with little peddling. The latter 2/3rds of the first timed stage you could rail on a short travel FS and probably do very well on with a HT.

The second non-timed stage is a pretty short and straight forward fireroad climb. You could survive it on a DH bike .

The second timed stage starts out on manure pile which has some awkward rocky sections (DH preferred), but that's short and next thing you're on a Woods which is just a pretty nice little single track with rock garden every so often to screw you just when you get into the flow. It ends on the the little jumps course area that runs out into the base lodge. Not sure which of the lines it will take through the jumps course, but I'd bet on the easier.

The first sections on both timed courses are pretty ragged out...rutted, rocky, and filled with moon dust. It looks like they're shuffling these race segments off on to the less well maintained segments.

Perhaps I expected more, but what with the cutting on and off trails at intersections, and segments that are pretty clearly planned DH, it didnt seem to fit the enduro ideal putting together the fun parts of a cross country ride. It may sound kind of cheezy, but its not "holistic"; very artificial in fact. I'm probably too picky.
    Man, I had a blast. On the lightweight 6" trail bike with burly tires I felt like it was the perfect mixture of everything.

And for what it's worth....that first test section race was won by a 19-29 amatur on a CANFIELD DH BIKE! Even with all that pedaling. Oh, and he was on flats. Props to him! This made me realize that not every race may be built to your liking, but you race the course the same as everyone else and the best rider wins. Obviously that kid had some serious skill and stamina to rail that pedally section at the end of section 1.

As with all racing, I could sit there and say "if it had more of this, less of that, it would suite me perfectly and I'd be faster." but racing is about your time against others on the same course, the same day, idealy the same conditions.

I think there is a HUGE awesome potential for the enduro race scene to grow at N*. One of the main guys talking at the race said that it was sort of a first time test event. They wanted to see how hard it was going to be FOR THEMSELVES to pull an enduro race together. Timing of the transfer sections he said was the total unknown for them so they went long on the transfer times. He said they learned a lot in regards to marking the course and marshal placement so he was certain the next Enduro will be better on their end, marketing included.

Figures crossed. I dig the enduro stuff. And to then take the small bike and go rail the park afterwards was truly a fun experience. Made me wonder why I have a dh bike......

JFR
    mtbr member
    Right on Mike. Thanks for posting the thread and update. I'd like to do one of those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast