mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Mystic Mines and Rough and Ready, CA

Went to Mystic Mines for the first time this weekend. AWESOME! The "stadium" has some sick drops, some peeps making nice doubles and other trials stuff. Also took a quick jump off Deer Creek Falls mid ride. Would have been lost without my guide. Thanks Dave for showing me "your neck of the woods." Definitely going to go back to explore some more. Anyone know other good trails in rough and ready?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know where the falls are, where is this Mystic Mines you're speaking of? Is it off ponderosa?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    not sure exactly where I was but I think it is on centered on this map the big bald spot with tracks everywhere.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08256&t=h&z=18

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ahhh... never heard it called "mystic mines"; we always just referred to it as "the BLM land off of Bitney Springs". We used to play paintball and ride dirtbikes out there.

I haven't been out there in probably 10 or 12 years, so my memory is a little fuzzy on how big the area is... can you link up a handful of those trails to make a decent ride? Or is it more like just putting around and hitting various features (drops, jumps, etc)??

If you run across any good trails in the Rough & Ready / Penn Valley area, please let me know... I haven't found any good trails within riding distance of my house...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    it was more of just putting around exploring what they had to offer. but I am sure there is a line somewhere. I will def be going back this summer. as for other rides in the area I was from out of town so I had my buddy who grew up in the area show me around. It was about a 3-4 hour ride with a stop at the waterfalls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Very interesting. Years ago, BONC explored making this BLM area into a public bike park, but we could not find a way to provide access this landlocked property.

I'll have to go check it out. It has been at least five years since I've been there. It has huge potential.
    Last edited by memine; 08-03-2010 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Future

Quote Originally Posted by htek
    If you run across any good trails in the Rough & Ready / Penn Valley area, please let me know... I haven't found any good trails within riding distance of my house...
    Ultimately, the Nevada County Land Trust plans to build a trail from Kenny Ranch (near Twin Cities Church) all the way to Rough and Ready.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yea, we had to go through 1 driveway which was, uhhh fine as long as we waved and moved on. rough and ready kinda describes to the townfolk in the area as well

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Nice footage, editing, and soundtrack.
    How's your rump feeling after that sit-down?

Obi
    mtbr member
    MMM, swooping turns in a Manzanita Valley.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Long time around there with the preBONC crew; hit the stadium.

Or come down from other side, track, off of S. Ponderosa. Then quick dip and cross R&R Hwy and take Stagecoach north until funneled to ditchtrack. This takes you up into the craw of Deer Creek (where the falls are, and the land trust wants to bring trail eventually- great canyon), continue on ditch until forced to step up to Mystic Mine rd. and back out to Bitney, the springs, RR Hwy, and back into G.Valley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    grandsalmon sounds like the ride we did.

obionespeedonly: yea man those swoopy downhills were quite nice. my favorite part of the day.

Haus Boss: thanks