mtbr member

My $80 Bike Rack

So my garage is starting to get out of control. Between my wife's bikes, my bikes, and bikes that I'm working on we always have bikes underfoot. Today was the day to do something about that.

If interested in the parts lists of stuff to buy from Home Depot I'd be happy to give it to you, but its pretty basic really.

We got some 2x4's, a sheet of 1/8th inch plywood, some light hooks, and lastly a coated threaded steel pike.

Slap it all together and you get the following!

Overall really happy with how everything came out. It's super sturdy, all 5 bikes, plus boxes and everything else on it is absolutely no issue.

Yay for making room!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That is rad

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Very nice!

bike buster
    Looks good! This is seriously motivating me to do something similar. I've got bikes leaning against the washer and dryer, my motorcycle and I pull my car in within inches of the end of a handlebar...

With the layout of my garage and desire to keep two cars and a motorcycle inside, I'd need to go taller to be able to stand the (five) bikes up on their rear wheels. Good thinking adding hooks for helmets and packs!

Hmm.... next rainy day project!

Puro Vida!
    Very nice! Looks great. May also try to make something like that. I'm a little hesitant to keep my bikes in the garage due to all the thefts lately, but just running a cable across them would help out! Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    It was surprisingly easy. I actually loved adding the hooks for helmets, packs, and other assorted gear. Yup I have a few cables I'm going to run through the frames for locking them up. Basically it'll be fairly difficult to steal them, even though it won't stop a determined thief it'll be tougher anyways.

The whole goal of this was just to get the bikes and assorted boxes out of the way as I was sick of tripping over everything!

Puro Vida!
    Yeah you can make it into a whole bike center with helmets, packs, shoes-nicely done.

mtbr member
    Great winter DIY project, thanks for the post
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cool. You just gave me an idea on how I should store the bikes I have in the garage. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nice.

I've made bike racks out of wood before. In the end I long for a welder to make racks as angle iron uses up less space.

I have bikes hanging on hooks from the rafters.

Maybe I should buy one of these. Put old disc brake dics on the bottom to keep it from tipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    This is exactly what I'm going to build. I'm waiting for my 1.5" die set to come in.

I bought a tube bender and notcher in December and I'm itching to use it.

mtbr member
    I use a similar seat-rail hanging rack but mine is a lot less fancy. I basically just bought some galvanized piping from Home Depot. Two 90 degree elbows, two floor flanges, two 6" pipes and one 24" pipe. Everything has a 1" diameter. Slapped the whole thing together and mounted it on a 2x4. I then attached the 2x4 to one of the ceiling joists with some nice long wood screws. It's strong enough to hold my weight so I'm not really worried about the bikes.

Due to space constraints, my setup is not very long with the 24" pipe. I can fit 3 bikes if they are facing opposite directions. You can easily upgrade to a 48" pipe without any worries of strength or stability. You could also do something like this with three floor flanges and a T-connection in the middle to increase the strength and extend the length even more.└───┴───┘

I also added some foam tubular pipe insulation to keep the seat rails from getting scratched and to also stop the bikes from swinging around.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great rack....love the extra storage space for accessories. Does the seat hanging method have any downsides for dropper posts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxwit View Post
    Great rack....love the extra storage space for accessories. Does the seat hanging method have any downsides for dropper posts?
    No downside to hanging the bikes from the dropper post as long as the post is fully extended.

mtbr member
    Good work, great winter projec!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I made something similar

Instead of hanging bikes by the saddle, which may warp the saddle, construct a narrow table about 26" or 700c depending on bikes above floor and lightly stuff rear wheel under the table. The bikes stay upright, are easy to pull in and out and you have a shelf/table to put more stuff on. I used a stock kitchen counter from Home Depot and had it resting on a couple file cabinets. I had about 6 bikes all over the contraption.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Nice work - I've been thinking about this too, i will use this as inspiration.

Only problem is i want a design where i can u-lock or fugghetaboutit to something really secure. i may have to have bikes oriented sideways against the wall so that i can ulock to heavy screw-in steel rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunGuy View Post
    This is exactly what I'm going to build. I'm waiting for my 1.5" die set to come in.

I bought a tube bender and notcher in December and I'm itching to use it.
    Tube bender... Are you in Marin?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Very nice! Looks great. May also try to make something like that. I'm a little hesitant to keep my bikes in the garage due to all the thefts lately, but just running a cable across them would help out! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice!!!

So even w/ your garage door closed the thefts are still high? Or is it the fact many garage doors in your area are left open as the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Puro Vida!
    Theft in the area period is a problem. I'm also going by threads and reports I read of people who have bikes in the garage being targeted for theft.
    I have RC helicopters and planes and a older Mustang in my garage. I've had people slow down and just look in my garage as they drive or walk by.
    I now always keep the mustang covered and have since built a backyard Mancave to house my bikes and models. It used to be 'cool' to get the attention and I'm just as guilty at staring at people's garages when they have cool toys inside. But I just don't want to get the wrong person to walk by and grab their attention. I try to keep my garage as 'boring' looking as possible to people going by.
    Hope I didn't ruin the thread-the rack looks really nice. I actually extended my Mancave this past weekend and hope to build something similar to this after seeing it.