Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtbr trail work at Demo Forest 4-27 Official Thread and Photo Report

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Hungarian_FR 
#1 · (Edited)
Official thread. Photos coming...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What a good day today! It was a real pleasure to meet everyone today. CDF Scott and I worked ridge trail from the heil pad all the way down to below tractor clearing overhangs, my wife and her son worked with Patty and her crew and my son rode with the bike crew. It was cool to get recieve the thank you's of the riders as the went passed. Now if we could only make something like Falls City Oregon.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzKhy...eature=related

#3 ·
So we gathered at the CDF station and there was a big crowd. Mtbrs, kids and foresters.

We had ourselves a convoy and went four-wheelin in the forest all the way to the helipad on top of Sulphur Springs.

The DVO clan was out in force

Orientation was in order and Patty and Tom enlightened the group.

So we put the kids to work and adults took a nap

We worked on Ridge Trail from the helipad all the way down Saw Pit. We cut back brush, removed pointed objects, built jumps and installed drainage.

We fixed the line on this jump after the picnic tables

#4 · (Edited)
We got to the famous Ridge Trail - Tractor Trail junction and did some work

Ahh, my favorite log.

We fixed the entry and got rid of the nasty knot

We built up a lot of berms down Ridge Trail and Scott here trimmed a lot of brush

Jeff, Mark, Bob had a break then we built more jumps

We saw Charles and Travis hauling down goodies to the picnic area

2:30 pm and we're done

#6 ·
On the way back to the picnic area, we saw Colin and the gang after they finished their work all the way down Saw Pit. Word is they done good. Too bad they had to miss the picnic.

This is one of the families that went out. Word is the kids had to do volunteer work for school. Bravo!!

Is this Badger Springs picnic area or paradise?

Chef Pate

Sherlock leading the swag charge

Is that a keg?

Carmen

Charles scoping out a new stunt

One of our leaders Ed Orre giving signals

Aahhhhhhh

This is Steward Shanedawggggg

This is the newest CDF Forester, Scott

Mmmmm

Shane shared some thoughts about our fallen brother, Mark Reynolds

Tom Sutfin on the left and Ed Orre on the right. Tom has been sheperding Demo Forest since 1990

This is Kim and our leader for the day, Scott

This is Reba explaining what it's all about

Soquel Creek

Good day and good night.

#7 ·
Awsome photo essay. Thanks so much for all the recruiting help and making it so fun! Today we did the hardest section of trail to reach with tools and volunteers- the Ridge Trial between Tractor and Sawpit. No easy way to get it done.

MTBR volunteers rock!

Patty

#9 ·
It was a huge gang but many, many folks who wanted to be there could not come. We have to do this again soon and get the more mtbr crew out there.

If you were there and missed the swag, Email me at fcebedo@yahoo.com with your address and I'll send you one of the last remaining pint glasses.

The complete photo album is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/fcebedo/4262008SoquelTrailWork

fc

#11 ·
Good work day. I was with shanedawg and the bike crew working on ridge trail, down by sawpit. We built some drains, log features, and widened a couple sections so that Ed can get through with the atv. I even got to ride down sawpit after the trail work was done.

After the work, I field-tested the MTBR pint glass and ate way too much.

#12 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Great work guys. I don't think I've gotten any trailwork in since the birth of my second son, but I'm going to try to make the next one of these if I can. At least Alan from our team was out to represent TWW. I ended up getting a free moment to ride in the late afternoon, and chose Demo, parking at the slide barricade. I think it was 5:45pm when I was starting off... After passing a few folks coming out (probably some of you) near the slide, I didn't see a single person for the rest of the evening. My original plan was to ride Buzzard to the top, down Corral, up Sulpher, down Ridge to Sawpit (to check the new work), but my legs were toasted by the time I got to the top of Sulpher, so I opted down Braille instead of Sawpit. Plus it was a little late after playing on Corral for a bit. I did notice some nice clean up on the sections of Sawpit - nice work, and thank you. Man, Corral is my favorite trails in the whole Bay Area... One of the relatively new booters (used to be super fun) into one of the steeper downhill sections has some big fallen tree right at the take off - I really hope it was just a randomly fallen tree, and not something done on purpose. The only thing that made me wonder is because I noticed some purposely cut-down trees blocking the entrance to some trails off of the fireroad climb (within Nisene property I believe) - destruction of some really beautiful trees for the sake of ???. Anyhow, back to the positive - thank you very much to all who went out yesterday and put some sweat into one of our truly awesome gems!

#14 ·
awesome day - thanks for organizing it!

It was great to meet more MTBRers and get a chance to give back to Demo, one of my favorite places to ride anywhere. I was sorry I couldn't stay for the picnic, but MrsWheels what glad to have me home in time for dinner with the in-laws. And that ride down Braille after a day of trail work felt especially sweet :thumbsup:

A huge thank you to the Stewards of Soquel for organizing it, the team from CDF and everyone who showed up. After going to Sea Otter with my son (for his first race and a chance to meet Aaron Chase, his fave rider) and then this I'm reminded how there's so much more to mountain biking than just riding bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.