Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtbr.com KOM at Strava

52K views 839 replies 78 participants last post by  urban turban 
#1 ·
Our team is one day old but we have rocketed to 8th place:
mtbr.com's Rides in February Climbing Competition for February »
Rank Athlete # Rides Elevation Gain (ft)
1 Steve Biggs 10 23,796
2 Josh Davidson 8 23,783
3 Arya Touserkani 6 20,275
4 Francis Cebedo 9 19,715
5 A. S. K. 6 17,559
6 sparkyJay . 7 16,957
7 Julie Kanagy 5 11,041
8 Dan King 5 10,782
9 Cherubin Cebedo 6 9,220
10 Paul MARSHALL 2 4,449
Total 64 rides 157,577 ft

http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

We have 11 participants right now but 7 of them are not signed up for the KOM. Go to the KOM page and sign up.

For those on Strava, add mtbr.com as your club and then sign up for KOM.

I am on injured reserve right now but my wife is taking up the slack!!

fc

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd sign up, but I don't do the GPS/nav thing. I don't even own one. However, I think it would be cool if the MTBR people participating would only log mtn. bike rides (& not include road rides like the Mt. Hamilton ride), as we all know that a foot of vert. earned on a mtn. bike on dirt is worth at least 2x that of a roadies.

#4 ·
We made a huge jump from yesterday. All I can say is that this challenge will make me ride more. It seems the Audi team is within grasp. I don't care about how we get our miles, most of us ride MTB and road and either way, we ride. With the pending weather, we might take a hit this week. Tomorrow with be my fourth consecutive day riding and 3rd with the GPS. I am having fun.

#12 ·
Eat dust Audi. You're next team SJBC. Sorry to trump a local team but you are in our way to infamy.

Know that everyone in front of us are all roadies now. It doesn't matter.

Also remember that you can use your iphone for this. Just put a gps app like motion-x gps.

I'm gonna buy 10 garmin 500s for some elite ringers!!!

fc

Attachments

#13 ·
So, do you NEED a GPS to participate? Or can you add miles climbed based on a topo map? I would join, and could add roughly 2,000 ft. a week, but if I have to spend $200 on a GPS, then it wouldn't be worth it for me.

ETA: Never mind, I found there FAQ section, and it looks like you do need a GPS, but iPhones are also allowed, so I could use that! I am confused about the strava site though. Do you have to have a paid membership to participate in this little competition?

#14 ·
stingray4540 said:
So, do you NEED a GPS to participate? Or can you add miles climbed based on a topo map? I would join, and could add roughly 2,000 ft. a week, but if I have to spend $200 on a GPS, then it wouldn't be worth it for me.
A gps or a gps with a smartphone is absolutely required for this.

Strava has a free version that allows up to 5 uploads/month. Beyond that, it's $6/month.

fc

#15 ·
stingray4540 said:
Any device that can record a gps track is necessary. For those who are planning to buy a new gps unit, make sure you have a barometric altimeter built in. I cheaped out when I bought my Garmin Edge 205 a couple years ago, but now I regret it. Look at the difference between the elevation totals for the two rides below... One recorded with a barometric altimeter and one without. I'm getting ripped off! I sent an email to Strava yesterday to point out the huge variance.

http://app.strava.com/rides/300818
http://app.strava.com/rides/220403

#16 ·
urban turban said:
Any device that can record a gps track is necessary. For those who are planning to buy a new gps unit, make sure you have a barometric altimeter built in. I cheaped out when I bought my Garmin Edge 205 a couple years ago, but now I regret it. Look at the difference between the elevation totals for the two rides below... One recorded with a barometric altimeter and one without. I'm getting ripped off! I sent an email to Strava yesterday to point out the huge variance.

http://app.strava.com/rides/300818
http://app.strava.com/rides/220403
The elevation correction feature on Garmin Connect works pretty well. For better elevation numbers, I've uploaded to G.C., exported the data file, then uploaded that to Strava.

#20 ·
I bought the year subscription for $59. I figured it was worth it because I will upload almost after every ride. I didn't have a smart phone and bit the bullet for the GPS. I guess I got lucky because I bought mine on (huge internet auction site) and paid $200. It is a Garmin edge 500 and it said it was only for the main unit. I ended up with a HR and Cadence thing-a-ma-jig as well. They were anywhere from $250-$370. Shop around. Wish I got one earlier.

Paul

#23 ·
francois said:
Eat dust Audi. You're next team SJBC. Sorry to trump a local team but you are in our way to infamy.

Know that everyone in front of us are all roadies now. It doesn't matter.

Also remember that you can use your iphone for this. Just put a gps app like motion-x gps.

I'm gonna buy 10 garmin 500s for some elite ringers!!!

fc
Got one laying around I can borrow? lol

Chris

#24 ·
OK, I am signed up, and I have supposedly joined the MTBR group, and supposedly the KOM challenge, yet it is not indicating that the super bowl ride last weekend was part of the KOM thingy. Also, although I always ride with my heart rate monitor, the .gpx file upload didn’t seem to include the heartrate info. Any Strava experts here? I would like for my mileage/altitude to apply for the KOM challenge in the name of the MTBR team. When I am logged into Strava on the KOM challenge page, it states,
“Keep climbing, Leopold!
Total Climbing This Year
0 ft
Your Club
mtbr.com”
Obviously this is wrong. I am using a Garmin Edge 705 which has the pretend altimeter built into it.
Thanks.

(edits go here)
Duh, just read this “When will my ride data show up?

The results page updates every 30 minutes, so, if you've just uploaded your ride, you may have to wait up to a maximum of 30 minutes to see how far up the rankings you've moved. We understand the desire to see the immediate impact of your newly uploaded ride, but we need to balance that with page load times such that everyone can bring up the page quickly.”

OK, will wait around, just sit and wait and see if anything happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.