Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtbr.com KOM at Strava

52K views 839 replies 78 participants last post by  urban turban 
#1 ·
Our team is one day old but we have rocketed to 8th place:
mtbr.com's Rides in February Climbing Competition for February »
Rank Athlete # Rides Elevation Gain (ft)
1 Steve Biggs 10 23,796
2 Josh Davidson 8 23,783
3 Arya Touserkani 6 20,275
4 Francis Cebedo 9 19,715
5 A. S. K. 6 17,559
6 sparkyJay . 7 16,957
7 Julie Kanagy 5 11,041
8 Dan King 5 10,782
9 Cherubin Cebedo 6 9,220
10 Paul MARSHALL 2 4,449
Total 64 rides 157,577 ft

http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

We have 11 participants right now but 7 of them are not signed up for the KOM. Go to the KOM page and sign up.

For those on Strava, add mtbr.com as your club and then sign up for KOM.

I am on injured reserve right now but my wife is taking up the slack!!

fc

See less See more
#502 · (Edited)
EBrider said:
I won't be much help the next week or so. I have 280,000 feet planned, but unfortunately its all in airplanes. Not good for the riding, but maybe I will see if the garmin works.
Dude, you'd be the freakin' undisputed KOM champion overall!!! Figure the airspeed of a typical airliner, and the 35,000 or so feet of cruising altitude. I'd try it… once, and then gouge my eyes out with Drano and stick hot coals up my butt. :eekster:

Actually, wait a minute-if the aircraft cabin is pressurised, then it might not give the correct altitude figures anyhow.

#504 ·
Ain't nuthin

ancient rascal said:
Latest weather report for Los Gatos tamale is only 100 % chance of rain in the morning. :eek:
but a trickle...top on Montevina was super windy and cold but pretty nice morning for a ride really. We seem to be back on top once again.

OT: I say anyone on the team that doesn't put up at least 10k this month (excuses are ok) has to post compromising picks of themselves on this post or be forced to take shots of Tequilla at our next gathering. (ha...just trying to motivate)

Have fun out there everyone! :)

#505 ·
IS that all for the month? I will get that in in one day alone- well I will try anyway. I wasn't able to attend but you weren't alone out there this morning. A crew went up overgrown ands said it wasn't to bad. What sort of compromising pics you talking about? Riding with a lace rally thong on or something more discreet? Kind of like those weigh loss challenges where they take your pic and will post it if you don't lose the weight. What a motivator for some people.

Paul

#506 ·
EBrider said:
I won't be much help the next week or so. I have 280,000 feet planned, but unfortunately its all in airplanes. Not good for the riding, but maybe I will see if the garmin works.
I tried this once out of curiosity - Garmins that use a barometric altimeter don't work because the cabin is pressurized.

Don't go and leave your Garmin in the seat pocket like I did :(

#507 ·
Put in 4600 today. Denver is getting hit with a big snow storm tomorrow and Tuesday so putting in my planned numbers are out. Will get in some ft. just not big #s as originally planned. Still at almost 14k for the month. Shooting for 45-50yk for the team this month as long as our weather doesn't turn super brutal.

#512 ·
One more foot soldier just joined the team.

I can't help a few random thoughts...

I must say all of you who put up those great numbers in February have motivated me. After reading through this thread I resolved to buy a GPS. I got my 705 on Friday and got 3 hours of child-care from my mom yesterday...determined to add at least 3000 footies I hit Fremont older yesterday. What really surprised me is how many more footies the device/strava tells you that you did vs. simply estimating based on contour lines...

I hope to be able to add ~10K footies a month for the team....I can see how this can motivate you to do that extra effort, push that little bit harder, do that extra ride etc.

On another random note...I just went from a 32 granny cog to a 34 ... holly **** what a difference....I get to a tough hill and its like God looks down on me, takes pity and makes the hill slightly less steep. I wish they made 36 toothed wheels (or I lost 20 pounds, I assume that would even out).

#513 ·
What do you think is the chance we could get MTBR SoCal and CO FrontRange (maybe even MTBR east coast) to create their own teams to compete with us. Right now it seems that those Marin roadies are the only competition we have and the more time goes on the more I'm convinced we are going to be far ahead of them...Francis, any interest in renaming this team mtbr norcal? What do y'all think?

#514 · (Edited)
Neela, welcome to the team. Looks like you had a good ride in Fremont Older.
I think it's too late to create multiple MTBR teams for this year's Strava KOM competition.
Maybe next year we could have 3 teams:
MTBR - Nor-cal (incl SLO)
MTBR - rest of USA
MTBR - rest of the world.
Or maybe Strava will change the rules. For example: they could count only the top ~20 riders in each team to level the playing field. Clubs can still have unlimited members, but only if you are within the top 20 for your club will your rides count towards the Strava KOM competition.

Here's our list of top 20 riders for the year: Impressive numbers!

1 Chris Erickson 117,001
2 Mike "MrCrash" Solis 114,360
3 obie miller 111,052
4 Patrick Herlihy 109,807
5 Steve Biggs 104,410
6 Josh Davidson 103,416
7 sparkyJay . 97,002
8 Greg Ruhlmann 89,357
9 Leopold Porkstacker 86,800
10 Rensho San 77,731
11 Adam "A.S.K." 73,507
12 Greg W. 71,579
13 Justin Williams 70,670
14 Mike Williams 64,488
15 Francis Cebedo 60,905
16 Mark Hansen 59,522
17 Arya Touserkani 56,695
18 Noelle Champagne 54,586
19 Jeff Kerr 50,810
20 Marco Boldt 50,543

#515 ·
#516 ·
CCCX March 27th

Sup guys!

I got a question, would any of you know if I could just do the CCCX race in March 27th or I would have to do the whole series!?

Since this year is my first racing Season, I would race as a beginner just to get a feeling and would upgrade to CAT 2 for the Sea Otter in April .

Many thx,

DArcio

#519 ·
Brazilian Climber said:
Sup guys!

I got a question, would any of you know if I could just do the CCCX race in March 27th or I would have to do the whole series!?
You can just do the one if you want. I think there is only race day registration anyway.

Since this year is my first racing Season, I would race as a beginner just to get a feeling and would upgrade to CAT 2 for the Sea Otter in April .
My first season racing too. Not sure I would upgrade to Cat 2 so fast. Well, try a race and see how you do.

CCCX XC is a ton of fun, by the way. Highly recommended if you haven't tried XC racing.

GG

#522 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Man, you guys who put off Kennedy this morning really missed out. The weather was just about perfect. Only a slight sprinkling of precipitation in places, and the winds weren't too bad. Was a perfect day, just took 'er nice and easy: http://www.strava.com/rides-by-country/united-states/california/san-jose/kennedy-woods-334746
"A perfect day" he says! I rode Kennedy in the mid-afternoon, and did Francis' lollilop route. What a miserable ride and a route with almost no redeeming features. I thought you mountain bike types liked to have fun? Some of the "highlights":
  1. It all looked the same.
  2. My Garmin had conniptions when its barometer port got gummed up with mud.
  3. I'm sure it would have been faster to walk than to ride some of it.
  4. When you think that life can't get any more miserable than those 3 walls up to the high point, there's other sections on Dog Meat that are just as bad if not worse.
  5. I thought I had made a decent effort up Kennedy. It turns out that the "top" isn't that nice round area that looks like a good place to land a helicopter.
  6. I was too muddy to get in the car so I had to change into fresh clothes standing in the street. My face looked like I'd just done Paris Roubaix in the rain.
  7. I discovered why MTBers don't use water bottles. I can still taste the grit.
Probably not the best choice for my first mountain bike outing in almost a year. At least I put up some MTBR feet up on strava. I think I'll head back to RBR now.

#523 ·
ukbloke said:
"A perfect day" he says! I rode Kennedy in the mid-afternoon, and did Francis' lollilop route. What a miserable ride and a route with almost no redeeming features. I thought you mountain bike types liked to have fun? Some of the "highlights":
Ha, ha, ha! Pure sweet hell. My record will stand for a while because that route is cuckoo. I see the elevation gain is still broke. It should be around 3500 feet for this segment http://app.strava.com/rides/335322#5301741

fc

#524 ·
francois said:
Ha, ha, ha! Pure sweet hell. My record will stand for a while because that route is cuckoo. I see the elevation gain is still broke. It should be around 3500 feet for this segment http://app.strava.com/rides/335322#5301741
It's confusing, but that's just the elevation difference (highest minus lowest), so the second climb doesn't contribute. Maybe they avoid total ascent because this depends a lot on the algorithm used. I did get them to fix the bug that was with-holding your first place KOM award for that loop by the way!

#525 ·
Where do you sign up? www.strava.com once you join then sign up for the mtbr.com club and then join the KOM challenge.

206k...is that for 2011? If so that is a lot...a ridiculously sick amount. Maybe you and the other sick guys should get together and go bowling...though you would probably go for a 5k night climb afterward I bet.

Awesome pic btw...wish they had kept going with Deadwood...dont know why they stopped making it.

#526 ·
Think that the logical thing is for RBR to have a separate team eventually. I figure eventually they will limit the feet per day to the best rides of the day (not just overall leaders as that would shut out most everyone but a few).

It makes little sense for mtbr to break into multiple teams when Strava is just getting started. Maybe one day if Strava takes off nationally and internationally but that day is not now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.