Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    Not anymore Looks like 4 of the top 5 went big today - Patrick / ratpick went from 1st to 5th!

1 Mike "MrCrash" Solis 18 39,730
    2 Josh Davidson 15 38,690
    3 Steve Biggs 14 37,836
    4 sparkyJay . 14 36,639
    5 Patrick Herlihy 9 35,831

Could you use a smart phone app in the meantime?
    This is where I turned around. Those tire tracks you see had turned to ice.

From Diablo Snow Feb11

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Threw down ~ 3100 feet today. Sorry I couldn't do more. I'll try harder this week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Mission Cycling is afraid right now
    We almost have Mission Cycling's numbers, and our big hitters go bigger!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    This is where I turned around.
    Went to Diablo today. They wouldn't let me ride up past Juniper, but they would let me pass as foot traffic! Cool, I'll just walk then then, but I'm getting that last 850 feet. Finally after I walked all the way down to Devil's Elbow the ranger pulled alongside of me and let me use my own discretion. It was safe.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Thirstybear is not going down without a fight. MissionCycling has no shortage of riders. We may need more help. I'm writing this now and I'm really needing to leave the house and ride some footies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay
    Went to Diablo today. They wouldn't let me ride up past Juniper, but they would let me pass as foot traffic! Cool, I'll just walk then then, but I'm getting that last 850 feet. Finally after I walked all the way down to Devil's Elbow the ranger pulled alongside of me and let me use my own discretion. It was safe.
    I rode up from Deer Flat to Juniper and snuck around the gate. Wasn't going to let them deny me again. Got a mean look on the way down coming back through, but figured I could always tell the ranger I came up North Peak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So now that I signed up for this KOM thing, I can't just ride the spin bike inside anymore for some nice and warm exercise. NO, I had to hop on my bike at 5:30pm and ride up the closest mountain, Monte Bello to make some footies for the team. Riding up in the cold is not so bad even at an easy recovery pace. The view of the valley at night is fantastic, but going down in a thin bike jacket, even with arm and leg warmers, at 39F is horribly cold. I thought I had lost a few fingers. I managed another 2566 feet for the team. Tomorrow, I'll take my bike to work and ride over lunch time. Maybe Sierra Road.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Here is something that is interesting.

MTBR club on Strava has 50 members but only 43 registered for KOM. Who is not registered?

Scarier is that Mission has 141 members but only 50 registered. If they get the rest of those people to register it is going to be hard to keep up let alone catch
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by LightMiner
    If they are comparing mountain and road feet climbed mtn feet should be more than road. So, for example, mountain feet should be times 1.5 or at least 1.3. Just can't compare to road...
    There ought to be some sort of difficulty factor in there somewhere—my bike weighs 47.8 pounds—15 pounds of the rotating mass comes from my wheels/tires/tubes/hubs (Surly Large Marge 65mm rims, Shimano Alfine IGH rear hub, Nokian Gazzaloddi in front, Arrow Racing Wide Bite in back, plus 26" and 24" oversize innertubes), not to mention the 14% or so drivetrain power loss in the internally-geared hub. Rensho had to ride circles around me for the last 3,100+ feet of climbing on Saturday up Soda Springs, since I was so worn out from the other 5,600 feet!!! I have been thinking about putting together a sensibly-weighted bike (30 pounds or less) just for Strava-oriented altitude gain rides… single speed, perhaps 32x19 geared, with skinny (less than 3" wide) tires. Those roadie guys have it so easy!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wow, Mike Solis puts down 65 miles and 7000 feet today. That's a good ride for the team!
    Now if only all 43 members would do a ride like that we'd have another 300k feet and be in second place for 2011 overall. Time to call in "sorry"?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Wow, Mike Solis puts down 65 miles and 7000 feet today. That's a good ride for the team!
    Now if only all 43 members would do a ride like that we'd have another 300k feet and be in second place for 2011 overall. Time to call in "sorry"?
    I did 8,745ft @ 51.9 miles on Saturday, but it came at a price—pain and suffering. It ain’t easy: http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...t-joe-s-311216
    Seriously, I don’t know how some of you guys can do these 5,000+ ft rides back to back, several times per week!!! Bunch of madmen!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Leopold: that's a very impressive ride. 8745 feet in one day! You deserve a day or two off.
    Where are you riding tomorrow?

OK, just got back from taking one for the team. 2736ft.

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    OK, just got back from taking one for the team. 2736ft.
    At night! Boys and girls, that's how you do it. Ya gotta make those riding opportunities! They won't make themselves. So when will your next ride be?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

swag ho Administrator
    Inspiring job all!

Here's a quick link: http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

I rode yesterday for a mile and it's not ready. But my cuts are raging itchy today so that's a good sign right? I'm going to Austin for the end of the month and I expect to see a valiant effort by team mtbr!

fc

mtbr member
    2k this AM...brrr. Off to Palm Springs to drink too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    2k this AM...brrr. Off to Palm Springs to drink too much.
    2k for me also. Mission grew by 2 though - they're up to 51 now.

Someone have a GPS they can lend to Menso for a week?
    Last edited by MrCrash; 02-22-2011 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just texted Menso to join the team as well. He was doing hill repeats right now, probably his usually 5000 feet per day. We need him on the mtbr team. We should get John Bennett to join as well. What the heck: all the CalPoly Wheelmen and women.
    Francis: do you still have some Garmins to spare? I'll pay for his unlimited Strave plan.

mtbr member
    My daughter has vacation this week and I have work. Also wife is putting on a baby shower for a friend. All this is getting in the way of some serious riding. The weekend forecast says it might snow in the bay area down as low as 1000 feet!!! I wasn't able to get a ride in so I did a staircase of 200 steps at Manresa beach. I did this 9 times which probably equaled about 1000 feet. I should have taken the GPS. My legs are tore up and sore as can be. Just hoping for a friday ride in the morning. I am such a wimp.
    They never made the "Slowster"

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Here is something that is interesting.

MTBR club on Strava has 50 members but only 43 registered for KOM. Who is not registered?

Scarier is that Mission has 141 members but only 50 registered. If they get the rest of those people to register it is going to be hard to keep up let alone catch
    I see 54 members, but only 44 that have logged rides in 2011. Perhaps they've joined, but haven't uploaded their first ride yet.

mtbr member
    I'm being more careful picking my routes right now. Smaller hills, up and down, with no steep or sustained grades. Normally I like to challenge myself with the steeper climbs (El Toyonal, Centennial, or Claremont), but my legs are too beat up for that. I've been spending a LOT of time in 34-28 on the road bike over the past few days!

The original plan had me knocking out 2k per day with a big dirt weekend in SLO, but the rain will likely change that. We'll see how the weather works out and just go from there!

It's the axle
    I do 2000 feet per day when it's dry. I'd love to add my elevation, but I don't have a gps, and I just managed to use up my liquid funds. Waaaah!
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    I do 2000 feet per day when it's dry. I'd love to add my elevation, but I don't have a gps, and I just managed to use up my liquid funds. Waaaah!
    Gregg do you have a smartphone with GPS?

It's the axle
    I'm the only person in the world who doesn't have a cellphone.

I'll buy a Lefty before I buy a Garmin. But if things go the way I'm hoping, I'll be getting both. Hopefully before the challenge is over.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

PRETENDURO
    Leopold: that's a very impressive ride. 8745 feet in one day! You deserve a day or two off.
    Where are you riding tomorrow?
    http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...he-park-315578

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast