Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Hey

Married...2 kids (9 and 5)...full time, pain in the ass job. Honestly, have no idea how I can get in the rides I do. Being in sales has it's perks...as long as you hit the numbers. (cool wife helps...and bright night lights)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay
    How many riders in the top ten are working? Finally, an advantage for the unemployed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    Married...2 kids (9 and 5)...full time, pain in the ass job. Honestly, have no idea how I can get in the rides I do. Being in sales has it's perks...as long as you hit the numbers. (cool wife helps...and bright night lights)
    Working full time, but no wife / kids / full-time gf means a decent amount of riding time - not sure if I have the most riding time in the top 10, but I seem to have the most rides. Have the night lights too, but man - riding pavement at night in the rain just seems sketchy from a safety standpoint...

mtbr member
    How many riders in the top ten are working? Finally, an advantage for the unemployed.
    Yeah, that's my excuse.. since July.. but got some great rides in.

All ends in a week (new job) when finding time to ride is going to be tough Planning at least one big ride before the end of the month for the cause

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Marco: I noticed your time up Calaveras Road yesterday. Well done! You put down a good time, but I'll beat you soon. Francis is right; this Strava thing is dangerous.
    Mission accomplished. Beat you buy 4 minutes to the top of Felton, Marco!
    Also known as Menso's dad.

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    All ends in a week (new job) when finding time to ride is going to be tough ...
    Congratulations on the new job. Trading ride time for fun coupons, huh? We need a few more slackers to pick up where you left off!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

ask
    user
    Porkstacker is a machine. I rode with him last week. >2k of climbing on a bike 2x weight of my bike with tougher gears... He talked the entire way and didn't even break a sweat. Strong rider. LP, great riding w/ you. Good luck on the job front.

Ratpick - congrats on the job!

I suspect I will get bounced out of the top 10 soon... but FT job (with a semi flexible schedule), 3.5 year old, 3 month old, and a SUPER understanding wife. My 3 month old gets me up in the middle of the night... so I get him settled and then go ride before heading into the office.

Keep up the climbing all.

mtbr member

Uh oh - Mission Cycling just retook the lead

Mission Cycling = 887,575
    mtbr.com = 875,561

We're on course for a collective 1 million feet this month - but I think we'll need more than that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    mtbr.com = 875,561

We're on course for a collective 1 million feet this month - but I think we'll need more than that!
    Did they try to pull the ninja attack on us?

pro leisure tour
    mtbr.com = 875,561
    Looks like they picked up some new riders. For anyone who is not already in, consider this post as a recruiting tool. We need you to join. We need you to go out and ride. You could even join for free and only post your 5 best rides each month. Maybe just try it out and see if you like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urban turban
    Did they try to pull the ninja attack on us?
    A little early for a ninja attack. We still have the weekend to counter

mtbr member
    A little early for a ninja attack. We still have the weekend to counter
    I am going to withhold my uploads until Monday. I should be able to produce another 10K by then. They will just end up recruiting more people if we take the lead back now.

mtbr member
    I am going to withhold my uploads until Monday. I should be able to produce another 10K by then. They will just end up recruiting more people if we take the lead back now.
    Good idea. I'm wondering if they're communicating about it like we are - couldn't find anything about it after searching for "Mission Cycling Forum Strava"...

mtbr member
    Okay I have 3 more codes for 3 free months of Strava. If you have someone who you think should be on Strava tell them that.

Seeking: Unemployed people with no girlfriend or boyfriend..no kids..no mortgage. No life except biking.

If this describes you or someone you know please let me know so that I can give them a code for 3 free months.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBShane
    Sorry to hear that man. I feel bad joking about it now! I have been there so I know how hard it can be. If its any consolation you are clearly super fit and I wish I was 1/10th as strong as you were on the climbs!
    I’ve been unemployed since April 2009, minus a six-week contract last year with my former employer.

Anyway, managed a 3,929 foot recovery ride today. So, that’s two recovery rides in a row—yesterday’s recovery ride (recovering from the 5,626 foot ride from Wednesday) was a mere 4,203 feet so I knew I needed to take it extra easy today.

Wow, just took a look, and we’re back on the #1 spot again. Coolness!

Anyone up for a recovery recovery recovery ride tomorrow (Saturday) early in the morning? I think I can wing another 3,500 feet or so, perhaps even 4,000.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ask
    Porkstacker is a machine. I rode with him last week. >2k of climbing on a bike 2x weight of my bike with tougher gears... He talked the entire way and didn't even break a sweat. Strong rider. LP, great riding w/ you. Good luck on the job front.
    Well, I did sweat a little bit. The nonstop talking is a “bonus feature” of having ADHD and a Meyers-Briggs ESTJ personality type. As for the strength, I never considered myself a mountain goat badass, I just sort of thought along the lines of, “I want to try this until I wear myself out”. Thanks for the compliments. This Strava thing encourages me to set and apparently conquer otherwise unattainable climbing goals. If I get a job, it had better be that mechanic position at the bike shop on Main Street (down the hill from St. Joseph’s).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Got a buddy of mine to join. Put us back on top

I am going to pledge at least 10k more before end of month. Probably more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Anyone up for a recovery recovery recovery ride tomorrow (Saturday) early in the morning? I think I can wing another 3,500 feet or so, perhaps even 4,000.
    I'll take you up on that offer. Nate and I are planning to ride starting by the reservoir again tomorrow morning. What do you have in mind?

ask
    user
    Good idea. I'm wondering if they're communicating about it like we are - couldn't find anything about it after searching for "Mission Cycling Forum Strava"...
    I didn't see anything online either... just this post on Twitter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask
    I didn't see anything online either... just this post on Twitter.
    I got a good laugh out of that one. Either they've been reading this thread, or they are planning the least sneaky sneak attack ever. Either way, they have a crapload of people who still haven't opted in for the challenge. Maybe they are trying to win with the least amount possible?

I bet Monday at 8pm their number of riders is going to triple

Maybe rensho or francois can add a sticky to some of the larger forums so we can increase numbers?
    Last edited by urban turban; 02-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.

PRETENDURO
    I'll take you up on that offer. Nate and I are planning to ride starting by the reservoir again tomorrow morning. What do you have in mind?
    I’d be up for either of these scenarios:

• Montevina - Kennedy
    • Limekiln - Kennedy
    • Montevina - St. Joe’s
    • whatever other combination you can conjure out sounds good to me

I won’t be terribly fast tomorrow, that is for sure, but I think I can wing another 3,500+ feet in the end. Same time (8:30-9:00ish) works for me.

Let's ride
    Do we really want the full wrath that MTBR can bring onto Strave KOM? I've been holding off on posting this over to 29er/xc/endurance/passion forums.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    unleash the wrath rensho!!! DO IT!!
    ;o)
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

Let's ride
    Is it, 'release the hounds...' ?

Or is it, 'RELEASE THE KRAKEN!' ?

Let's ride
    This weekend, i'll make sure to go over the 70kft mark for 2011. Slow start in Jan, but Feb is looking better.

I really really want to see MTBR hit 1 million feet for Feb.

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    ...I really really want to see MTBR hit 1 million feet for Feb.
    I think that will happen. At the moment we are in the lead by..........75 feet!

mtbr member
    I run a (very) small scientific business from home, so I've got a lot of flexibility to ride during the day. The flipside is sometimes I'm slammed and have to sit inside working on a beautiful saturday. Also, I'm not married, don't have kids, don't have cable TV, only go out drinking once or twice a week, and I try not to spend too much time on internet-based, time-sucking phenomena like facebook and mtbr (only partially successful on that last one).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I’d be up for either of these scenarios:

• Montevina - Kennedy
    • Limekiln - Kennedy
    • Montevina - St. Joe’s
    • whatever other combination you can conjure out sounds good to me

I won’t be terribly fast tomorrow, that is for sure, but I think I can wing another 3,500+ feet in the end. Same time (8:30-9:00ish) works for me.
    I'm thinking maybe Montevina and Kennedy like last week. I'll be at the same reservoir parking area by 9am. Does that work for you?

mtbr member
    Unleash the Kracken Rensho!

I still have 3 codes for 3 free months...cant believe no one wants them.

mtbr member
    I would love them, but honestly there are more deserving people out there so I will just pay.
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Unleash the Kracken Rensho!

I still have 3 codes for 3 free months...cant believe no one wants them.
    I'm still on the monthly plan. If no one else wants it, I'll take one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Info on Mission Cycling

Go to their website: missioncycling.org and get on their mailing list if you want to see what they're saying. They are communicating to each other and looking at the MTBR forum. Good luck, I'm just a spectator.

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....Slow start in Jan, but Feb is looking better.
    I really really want to see MTBR hit 1 million feet for Feb.
    We're at 940K with 3 days to go...i think the 1M is in the bag.

I'm right with ya on the slow Jan. start. Sinus infection took me down for almost 3 weeks in January, so that has hurt the YTD total in a big way.
    I'm at 40K YTD (26K for Feb)and with some of the big snow storms we have been hit with here in Denver approx. 25% of the rides have been on the rollers which doesn't help the team total too much.

Anyway, hope everyone gets in some good footies this weekend (& Monday)!

mtbr member
    X+S(KOMC)=Y

Data we know:
    X=Me
    Me=Obsessive Compulsive, borderline mental
    S=Strava
    KOMC=King of the Mountain Challenge
    Y=I woke up at 6am and rode my mountain bike in 30 degree temps on a Saturday

mtbr member
    Josh, I know the feeling well. I am just about to leave and embark on the ride Francis did a while back. Up Kennedy, up the three hags, down powerline and then up dogmeat. Should be around 4500 feet. Not sure I will post a PR up Kennedy but stranger things have happened. We'll see how it goes. If I feel well enough after, I might go up El Sereno as well. Who knows?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The rangers let me ride to the top of Mount Diablo, it was / is freezing cold. Still some snow / ice on the road. The mountain bike handled it fine though. I traded the helmet for a ski cap and winter gloves for the way down and still managed to freeze. But good footies. Not as many road riders out there today as I have seen in the past but I saw a fair number of groups on MTBs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Don't go National with the mtbr.com club

Do we really want the full wrath that MTBR can bring onto Strave KOM? I've been holding off on posting this over to 29er/xc/endurance/passion forums.

What do you think?
    Rensho, I think we should keep it local with just a Norcal team (with maybe a few out of staters who somehow stay in touch). How many are out of state right now?
    It wouldn't encourage a real competition if we had 1000 members on the team. I like the close competition we have much better.

An idea for next year: have the different forums compete against each other on Strava:
    Norcal vs Socal vs Colorado, etc That should be much more fun!

PRETENDURO
    Nate, Arya and I did a “simple” Soda Springs recovery ride (well, my third recovery ride in a row) today, froze our asses off, but got some good ascent in check. Part of me wants to take a day off on Sunday, but deep down inside I think I could manage another 4,000 feet tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I did my part today with a long tough grind. I went up Kennedy at a very moderate pace. Stopped and spoke with Ancient Rascal at the tree for about 10 mins. Nice to put a face to the name. Then went up the three witches and down power line. Decided to make a little more elevation than the ride Francois did so I went all the way down and up overgrown. It was like riding up a river bed. You could feel the rolling resistance of the tires getting sucked into the trail. I will try not to whine too much. Then up dogmeat and I walked the walls. Just started to get tired and my energy was zapped. Meet some people and got muddy. Was cold as all get out too. I think I will hit fremont older tomorrow and add some more footies. Francois, how you set a PR and then did the rest of the ride I will never know. You got my respect.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    I'm doing a roadie club ride tomorrow which should net 8,700' for the cause. It's Milpitas-Sierra-Calaveras-Welch Ck-Palomares-Calaveras. Last year's ride is here.

Guests are always welcome if anyone wants to come along!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    I did my part today with a long tough grind. I went up Kennedy at a very moderate pace. Stopped and spoke with Ancient Rascal at the tree for about 10 mins. Nice to put a face to the name. Then went up the three witches and down power line. Decided to make a little more elevation than the ride Francois did so I went all the way down and up overgrown. It was like riding up a river bed. You could feel the rolling resistance of the tires getting sucked into the trail. I will try not to whine too much. Then up dogmeat and I walked the walls. Just started to get tired and my energy was zapped. Meet some people and got muddy. Was cold as all get out too. I think I will hit fremont older tomorrow and add some more footies. Francois, how you set a PR and then did the rest of the ride I will never know. You got my respect.
    Took one for the team ! Nice job pmarshall. Way too much for me. Looks like 4500 + strava ft. Priest rock to Power pole to woods from Lexington is about my limit. Good to finally meet you !
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Go team!

mtbr member
    Added 5200 feet on a long day of climbing. Felt like a lot more feet then that.

Started in Sun...then it rain...then it snowed..then it hailed like crazy...then a bit more snow...then sunny again. Wont forget this one.

Also made a note to myself to not attempt this ride again with a 3 time National Champion.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    X+S(KOMC)=Y

Data we know:
    X=Me
    Me=Obsessive Compulsive, borderline mental
    S=Strava
    KOMC=King of the Mountain Challenge
    Y=I woke up at 6am and rode my mountain bike in 30 degree temps on a Saturday

No kidding. I went for a 4000ft ride this morning with friends on a bday, and now i feel compelled to ride a couple thou locally before the night gets too late.

Additionally, I just now noticed I've dropped to 8th place on the team cuz Leopold put the hammer down in this week and passed me up.

Also, I just recruited 2 50k guys and their rides should be up today and tomorrow. 1Mft is no longer a concern.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It is neck and neck again. ~4,000 foot difference.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Rensho, I think we should keep it local with just a Norcal team (with maybe a few out of staters who somehow stay in touch). How many are out of state right now?......
    An idea for next year: have the different forums compete against each other on Strava:
    Norcal vs Socal vs Colorado, etc That should be much more fun!
    I'm one of the "out of staters" now (been in Denver for a yr + now) but I still consider myself a Cali guy at heart (born in Newport Beach and lived in Norcal from 1988-late 2009).
    I have ridden with some of this crew on more than a few occasions (Rensho & Francis at a minimum..haven't looked at everyone who is on the team) and still follow the Norcal board almost daily.

I think the regional mtbr forum comp may be good but I think the Norcal board would crush all the regions. Way more folks on the Norcal board than any of the others. The Colorado-Front Range forum (which I would be a part of now) may make a decent run but I still think Norcal would run the table
    Last edited by MSH; 02-26-2011 at 10:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    1,002,161 feet already, but still only a slim 12,000 feet ahead of Mission Cycling.
    Is everyone planning their 5000 feet climb for tomorrow? Go team mtbr.com!

Let's ride
    Back up to top 5. Let's see if that lasts for more than 12hrs.

mtbr member
    On my way out the door for a good 5K.

PRETENDURO
    It’s going to be an interesting Monday!

mtbr member
    What the heck, while I was out there I added a gratuitous 1K for a total of 6,500'

http://app.strava.com/rides/323308

Does anyone know if you can embed a Strava ride like you can on Garmin?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast