Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    1st...14k Francis, at least now I don't have to worry about keeping pace with you anymore.
    2nd...sorry but from a suffering standpoint, I still think Paul has you beat. My hunch is he still has Taylor Swift's, "You belong to me" stuck in his head and it ain't going away anytime soon.
    3rd and off topic...Funny how my old go to is just not cutting it anymore. Planned a quick jaunt up Overgrown and home this AM...turned into a (no dab) grunt up Dogmeat with a Jones loop thrown in...I need counseling.

Have fun out there everyone...weather looks pretty fantastic.
    Josh- it is worse than you thought possible! I am sure you know the song I am referring to when I say -Hoe Down Throw Down. Yup, I countrified it, hip hopped it and put my hands on my sides and slid side to side.
    They never made the "Slowster"

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    And you guys do realize we cannot win a keg every month right? Cant be back to back winners the rules say
    Huh, say what? Looks like I picked a good "recovery month"!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Hipster
    I guess so... but we are riding for the 2011 overall!

http://app.strava.com/komchallenge/club/overall

"The bike shop keg goes to Castro Valley Cyclery, as the KOM Challenge rules preclude back to back prize winners in any category. Great work Castro Valley Cyclery. Well done. Studio Velo will have to try again in March."

And you guys do realize we cannot win a keg every month right? Cant be back to back winners the rules say

PRETENDURO
    Anyone know why my last four rides show up as greyed out (as opposed to light blue clickable links) unless I am logged into Strava??? Is this some new feature??? I have noticed the rides of several others seem to have this problem as well.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Officially exhausted.

2.5 hours hauling my 50lb bike around Demo (it's like cheating on the DH...it's like towing an anchor on the up).
    5 hours digging drains, clearing mud, and building/fixing jumps with the trail crew.

I could barely get my bike on and off the rack.

Unlike Mr. Marshall, my mp3 died coming down Coral. Stuck with my creepy thoughts till I met up with the trail team...shiver.

Hope everyone had a great weekend...looks like we are walking away with this challenge.

mtbr member
    Looks like mtbr has 4 in the top 10 in the men's individual standings. No other club has more than 1. That's pretty sweet

1 Brian Toone Alabama Riders 76,624
    2 Jason Spencer Cycling Tips 73,615
    3 Leopold Porkstacker mtbr.com 55,915
    4 Gary Williams Vamos cycling 52,459
    5 Fernando cruz Castro Valley Cyclery 43,485
    6 Ron Shevock Team Mad Cat 43,291
    7 obie miller mtbr.com 43,092
    8 Francis Cebedo mtbr.com 42,848
    9 Greg McQuaid IronDataThirstyBearCycling.com 41,459
    10 Mike "MrCrash" Solis mtbr.com 37,778

mtbr member
    Folks a plug.. since you're all riding with GPS, Plus 3 has a donor that has pledged to match at $10 for every $1 moved on Plus 3 this week (Monday - Friday) to be donated to the American Red Cross for relief in Japan.

It costs you nothing to signup, other than another upload right after you upload to Strava. They often do disaster fundraising like this, but every other day you can raise cash for IMBA, cancer research or one of many causes, just by riding. The folks who run it are good guys and gals (and mountain bikers).

http://www.plus3network.com

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    As part of our February victory, our crew gets a 15% discount to the sponsor Studio Velo. They have an online store as well as a shop in the North Bay. Here is the discount code.

------

Hi Francis,

That sounds good. yes on online store. You can direct your members to www.studiovelocycling.com

Let's do this. Tell them to use the following discount code:

mtbr

This is a 15% off coupon on non-sale items. This is important to emphasis as our system cannot control compounding discounts. If we receive a discount on top of a discount, we'll have to charge the customer. We are working to resolve this.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me

Thanks and congrats again

scott
    Studio Velo
    ---------

PRETENDURO
    But…*what about the keg?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    But…*what about the keg?
    Um, ya. What about the keg?

mtbr member
    I understand what I am about to say may get me banned for life from any further postings. With that said, I had an awesome beer tonight. Yeah, it had a little raspberry flavor and I loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

fc
    what keg? hic!

I don't know yet.

PRETENDURO
    Toughest ride for me so far:

http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...-slicks-348851

I do not recommend this ride on SLICK tires with a 32x20 single speed setup.

fc
    Toughest ride for me so far:

http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...-slicks-348851

I do not recommend this ride on SLICK tires with a 32x20 single speed setup.

Crazy awesome job as always!!!!!!!!!!!!

fc

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Crazy awesome job as always!!!!!!!!!!!!

fc
    Thanks! No joke, it was a tough ride. The HILARIOUS part is that after all that hardcore riding today with the “wrong” equipment and not getting injured/crashing once, it was later on this afternoon at around 5:15PM when I was riding around outside with my sons… when it was a wheelie failure that caused me much pain which I am still feeling. I had my cleats clipped into the eggbeaters when it happened, and of course trying to unclip from a too-high-too-far-back wheelie always means a hard landing. The kids thought it was hilarious, I find no humour in it. I hope I can still ride tomorrow! All my worst crashes/injuries related to cycling have happened at speeds of less than 8MPH!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yep, that was an awesome ride Kennedy to Mt Umunhum. I see there are some "easy" KOM virtual medals for grab up Barlow road. Tempting....but I'll wait until it stops raining.

See you and other mtbr.com team mates Friday at my house for the February victory party. We'll save the keg for a much larger mtbr event, that actual involves biking first. Rescheduled Demo 10k, Henry Coe Spring Circus or Downieville gathering? I have some very good beers for you!
    Also known as Menso's dad.

pro leisure tour
    … when it was a wheelie failure that caused me much pain which I am still feeling. I had my cleats clipped into the eggbeaters when it happened, and of course trying to unclip from a too-high-too-far-back wheelie always means a hard landing....
    Reminds me of how I discovered that the Camelback is kind of like an airbag! Seriously.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay
    Reminds me of how I discovered that the Camelback is kind of like an airbag! Seriously.
    Do they make them to fit on one’s butt? I landed on my left shoulderblade, left buttcheek, left forearm, and left ankle. Nothing is broken, but hurts like hell still. No swelling, fortunately.

pro leisure tour
    Do they make them to fit on one’s butt?
    I don't think so, at least not stock.

I went straight over backwards. It was a done deal before I even knew it! Then I realized that waterbag saved me from some hurtin'. I almost stayed right down there on the street laughing. Good thing nobody was watching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Strava's new UI is pretty sweet!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Strava's new UI is pretty sweet!
    Yes, much cleaner, and logged in sessions reveal a lot more stuff, such as the “kudos” and other little widgety items.

I like mtn biking, too
    My Garmin 705 just turned into a brick. Or a turd, or something. Does anyone have a recommendation for an iphone app? I just dowloaded motionX for $.99, hoping it works ok.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    My Garmin 705 just turned into a brick. Or a turd, or something. Does anyone have a recommendation for an iphone app? I just dowloaded motionX for $.99, hoping it works ok.
    This was a big problem with early firmware revisions. You might be able to get it going with a hard reset (hold down power and lap for 10 secs or so). If you do, update it to the latest firmware.

(sorry if this is redundant and you've already tried it)

Hipster
    I use motion-x. It works great, but don't expect much more than 4 hours of battery life when it is running.

-Marco

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    FWIW, I use the original Moto Droid with a Zephyr heart rate monitor and Sportstrack Pro. My phone is rooted so I downclock the processor to 250mhz when I'm riding to extend battery life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Garmin was not detected when trying to upload new activities after my first ride in the rain. After letting it dry overnight and some gentle blow-drying it is working again, but ever since I keep it in a ziplock bag in my back pocket if there's any water in the air or on the road/trail.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 03-17-2011 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    My Garmin was not detected when trying to upload new activities after my first ride in the rain. After letting it dry overnight and some gentle blow-drying it is working again, but ever since I keep it in a ziplock pack in my back pocket if there's any water in the air or on the road/trail.
    JL- I did almost the exact same thing. I kept mine on the bike but put Saran Wrap around it. I know this will affect the barometric altimeter but I am willing to have that data screwed up and not the internal electronics from moisture. I think that Strava will do their own elevation estimate anyway so only Garmin connect will suffer.

mtbr member
    I also use Motion X and w/ Strava corrections it works great. I have a iphone 4 and I get more than 4 hours battery life

ask
    user
    +1 on this answer... my Garmin 305 needs a hard reset every couple months or so. I almost tossed it and bought a new one before I found out the button sequence to get it to reset. It would not turn and seemed to not charge.

Product.Support@garmin.com was fairly prompt and helpful with tech support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    This was a big problem with early firmware revisions. You might be able to get it going with a hard reset (hold down power and lap for 10 secs or so). If you do, update it to the latest firmware.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick

Thanks ratpick! The gps is not with me, so I'll see if the hard reset revives it a little bit later. I did the big firmware update from just a couple months ago, though.

I did have the Garmin on the handlebars during a little bit of drizzle. Hope I didn't destroy it that way.

MotionX looks like a really nice piece of software. I can't believe it is only $.99. The iphone battery is indeed a limitation, but it seems like this could be a nice backup for Garmin failures.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I miss January.

GFS weather model 16 day precipitation forecast.

mtbr member
    I freaking HATE winter man!!!! I have nothing but bad things to say about it, especially since I dont snow ski etc. Last year we didnt have really great riding weather until May!! This is why I yelled at those people complaining about the heat last year - never, EVER complain about warm weather dammit!
    ;o)
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

mtbr member

Hey SFChristo...

Nice 10k day

Time to brave the rain for some morning footies! Hopefully spin class didn't trash me too much last night...

mtbr member
    MrCrash,
    haha, yeah, I knew today would be a rain-enforced day off, so I tortured myself with some hill repeats at the end of my normal ride. It's a nice feeling sitting inside hearing the rain knowing I worked my ass off yesterday.

It's lookin' like a lot of rain for the next few days, I'm hoping there's a break on Saturday, otherwise I'll be breaking out the rollers again. I actually like riding rollers because I can listen to music, but it's completely useless for Strava purposes.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SFChristo
    MrCrash,
    haha, yeah, I knew today would be a rain-enforced day off, so I tortured myself with some hill repeats at the end of my normal ride. It's a nice feeling sitting inside hearing the rain knowing I worked my ass off yesterday.

It's lookin' like a lot of rain for the next few days, I'm hoping there's a break on Saturday, otherwise I'll be breaking out the rollers again. I actually like riding rollers because I can listen to music, but it's completely useless for Strava purposes.
    On my gps, the main display puts up total altitude climbed. It is an evil voice that encourages hill repeats.

On the other hand, it discourages trainer rides and flat rides so maybe it is a good voice.

fc

jms
    mtbr member

Stop For The Flowers

On my gps, the main display puts up total altitude climbed. It is an evil voice that encourages hill repeats.

On the other hand, it discourages trainer rides and flat rides so maybe it is a good voice.

fc
    Sigh. Just don't forget to stop and smell the flowers along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member

fc
    I have my "total ascent" hidden on the second page. Your setup would have driven me insane by now.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Don't worry. Footies are just the assignment for the month/season. Flowers, sunsets, water, snow, cougars, road trips, beer, all have their home here on the internets.com.

fc

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Don't worry. Footies are just the assignment for the month/season. Flowers, sunsets, water, snow, cougars, road trips, beer, all have their home here on the internets.com.

fc
    I'm really good at the flower assignments.
    Can we talk tires now?

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    It's funny how I'm ahead on the curve, got on the Strava drug first, probably 4 months before most peeps here, got really high and then crashed and burned (metaphorically).
    Used to have the total ascent in the main screen too

Now I'm back at smelling the flowers and taking pictures.
    Enjoy the ride
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    It's funny how I'm ahead on the curve, got on the Strava drug first, probably 4 months before most peeps here, got really high and then crashed and burned (metaphorically).
    Used to have the total ascent in the main screen too

Now I'm back at smelling the flowers and taking pictures.
    Enjoy the ride
    ZT
    Perhaps you went in too deep. Or perhaps you were on the wrong team. I'd say it's cyclical.

Gps/strava is one those things that will influence some people very deeply, for a long time. For most it will be an interesting facet in cycling that will be cyclical as our tastes and interests revolve.

It's like singlespeeding, or racing, road biking, bmxing... etc. It's not for everyone but there's something there for some of us. It's one of the things that keeps cycling interesting.

fc

mtbr member
    What's with this sudden flower derailment? Mountain biking, dirt in teeth, loud angry tunes on the iPod (I still call it a Walkman), shredding tacky single track, beating roady teams to oblivion, bleeding without knowing why, grinding out impressive rain drenched climbs...pretty flowers? Disconnect.

fc
    Strava now does embed. Here's a test.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtbr.com KOM at Strava-lookcomer.jpg  

PRETENDURO
    Strava now does embed. Here's a test.

Die, roadie scum!!!

Actually, that embed code is pretty simple. Nice! Did you copy and/or cross-post that directly from Strava? I know, I know, I need to RTFM, right?

fc
    Die, roadie scum!!!

Actually, that embed code is pretty simple. Nice! Did you copy and/or cross-post that directly from Strava? I know, I know, I need to RTFM, right?
    There's a 'Share This Ride' box now and the 'Embed in Blog' is the one we want to embed here.

fc

mtbr member
    You can also embed one of these in your signature and show off your activity, or in my case inactivity. Pretty snazzy.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by urban turban
    You can also embed one of these in your signature and show off your activity, or in my case inactivity. Pretty snazzy.

Dude... that would be obnoxious on the sig.

Let's ride
    You can also embed one of these in your signature and show off your activity, or in my case inactivity.
    Sounds like we need to line up 4-5k tonight. u up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Sounds like we need to line up 4-5k tonight. u up?
    How about tomorrow? What do you have in mind? I imagine even the LG trails are going to be pretty sloppy from all this rain.

Let's ride
    How about tomorrow? What do you have in mind? I imagine even the LG trails are going to be pretty sloppy from all this rain.

Edit:
    Tomorrow night is scheduled for rain, so i'll pass. I just saw that there's a window tonight.

Sereno is in good shape, and i'm up for anything around here.
    Last edited by rensho; 03-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Not planning to do this a lot but thougt this was a cool looking loop(s)/imbed...and yes, LG trails faired well in the rain.

fc
    Not planning to do this a lot but thougt this was a cool looking loop(s)/imbed...and yes, LG trails faired well in the rain.
    buggah!

You can embed anytime you descend like that!

fc

fc
    Interview is up.

http://www.komchallenge.com/2011/03/...ub-winner.html

I'll start tracking down the keg.

Medium?
    Awesome. Congrats Francois and the rest of you axe murderers!

fc
    I see dead people in that ink blot graphic

or maybe a butterfly

fc

mtbr member

Rain Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have gone ridding last night because the rain had stopped but I ran on a treadmill instead= boring! I have taken up jogging again to prepare myself for the Silicon Valley International Triathlon. My legs are good at biking but could use the running practice too. I took my GPS running the other night and gained 7 feet of elevation. I think I have developed ADHD because all I want to do is go fast and wish I was biking. I might do a swim or two for preparation because they don't allow water wings. They tell me your welcome to wear flippers on the bike and run portion but not the swim. I just had to put in writing the random thoughts circulating around in my head. I feel better now thanks for letting me waste your time.

I like mtn biking, too
    +1 on the rain sucks thing. I wonder if Boggs is going to happen with all of the snow and rain and wind and downed trees? That will be my one and only chance to do a big ride this month... or next month, lol.
    ~Fairfaxian

site *****
    Mar 2008
    Finally got back on the bike today after being revived by CPR this weekend. Nice thing about being alive (again) is I can continue to contribute to the MTBR strava KOM contest!

I know this is OT, but in all seriousness, I was brought back to life this weekend in Tahoe by a friend, mt biker, and ex-marine who was up on his CPR. I was almost a vicitm of NARSID (non avalanche related snow immersion death); suffocated in a deep tree well.

Make no delays my outdoor adventure friends. Get CPR certified. You owe it to your fun seeking, dirt slinging friends.
    Browse Living Outfitters for backyard living products.

mtbr member
    OMG!!! Welcome back man! That must have been an experience for you. I have had to do CPR 3 times with one resulting in a saved life. The other two were fatal heart attacks that CPR could not help with. You might want to look at survivor stats because your very lucky. Check with the Heart Association of America for newer revised CPR compression to breath ratio 30-2. Glad your back and on a mission.

jms
    mtbr member

Best Post

Quote Originally Posted by obie.miller
    I know this is OT, but in all seriousness, I was brought back to life this weekend in Tahoe by a friend, mt biker, and ex-marine who was up on his CPR. I was almost a vicitm of NARSID (non avalanche related snow immersion death); suffocated in a deep tree well.
    Best post in this thread.

Holy Sheet! That must have been absolutely terrifying. I'm so glad to read it worked out well for you. Hope you recover swiftly and completely Obie, you've got a Kirkwood Super D crown to defend. Despite some people's attempts at making it that important, Stravacasting isn't life and death, it'll be waiting for your contributions. And even with a Ouji board, I doubt you can post your times posthumously.
    Last edited by jms; 03-22-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

site *****
    Mar 2008
    Thanks guys. Just read that another pow lover from the East Bay skiing at Sugar Bowl wasnt as lucky.

http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=39794&n=122

fc
    Finally got back on the bike today after being revived by CPR this weekend. Nice thing about being alive (again) is I can continue to contribute to the MTBR strava KOM contest!

Make no delays my outdoor adventure friends. Get CPR certified. You owe it to your fun seeking, dirt slinging friends.
    Wow, you came back to life. That is the ultimate gift right there.

Seize the day and seize every breath.

fc

PRETENDURO
    Whoa dude, welcome back! Glad to know that cardio pulmonary resuscitation techniques are effective.

Meanwhile, today seemed to be the best bet for getting in a good ride with lots of footies… unfortunately I had time constraints today so I wasn’t able to do the usual 5,000+ or so, just 4,000+. Big bummer. I think I’ll be riding in the rain tomorrow though, fun fun fun fun fun.

mtbr member
    Interview is up.

http://www.komchallenge.com/2011/03/...ub-winner.html

I'll start tracking down the keg.

Nice write up!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys. Just read that another pow lover from the East Bay skiing at Sugar Bowl wasnt as lucky.

http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=39794&n=122
    I'd like to know more about your experience and was wondering if an emergency release on the bindings might have helped. I've been in a few tree wells this past year and have been thinking about how to deal with this type of situation.

Eric
    Another Fat Bastard on a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Holy Guacamole, that's scary. I'm glad to you survived. I think the main lesson here is to NEVER SKI/BOARD (in deep power and trees) ALONE. Your buddy was there to save your life.

site *****
    Mar 2008
    Eric, I was not able to move and suffocated within 30 seconds. However, every situation is different and every advantage you have can help. An avalung would have been my best chance.

The discussion is here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...p/218395-Alive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Eric, I was not able to move and suffocated within 30 seconds. However, every situation is different and every advantage you have can help. An avalung would have been my best chance.

The discussion is here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...p/218395-Alive.
    Wow! It pays to ski with a buddy. Glad you're ok. I'll be a little more diligent about skiing with a buddy in the future. I'll also be investing in an avalung backpack.

Eric
    Last edited by elennane; 03-23-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Another Fat Bastard on a bike

PRETENDURO
    How many people rode in that rainy cold crap today??? I took my maiden voyage on the Mensocycle today, more than 30 miles to test it out. Persistent problems with the chain and rear derailleur prompted me to turn around 1/4 of the way up Hicks road unfortunately, and ride all the way at a slower speed than planned back home with annoying-ass chain skip. Chain skip on a frame/fork that saw 1st place finishes in Downieville and the Sea Otter Classic??? It’s even a Wipperman Connex stainless steel chain for christ’s sake! The bike climbs like a roadbike though, man, what a change from the 47.8 pound beast I am used to, but I miss the comfort of being able to plow over anything with 3" wide tires. But this bike SCREAMS to be ridden fast and hard—cannot wait to get the drivetrain issues sorted out, and the riding position geometry perfected. Passed up a roadie dude going up IBM hill, before long I couldn’t even see him behind me.

mtbr member

I did, I did

How many people rode in that rainy cold crap today???.
    Wasn't gonna but got home and sun was all over the place. I said to wife, "Wife, goin' on a ride." She said she had to run a 10 minute errand and thank god she did...5 minutes after she left, said sun went away and about 1000lbs of water fell on my areas for 10 straight whole minutes.

Anyhow, she came back and sun came back so knocked out a few St. Joes runs which wasn't muddy...came home lickity splickity when the sky got all angry.

fc
    This is the worst opening week for Daylight Savings Time evarrrrr.

fc

mtbr member
    When we going to do the 10k ST joes ride? I am thinking about next friday if the weather holds off. I was thinking about starting at Jones gate going to the top, then going down to the base of the dam and back over. I guess if that route is done 13-15 times, 10K would be achieved. I wonder how long this will take and where to park for that long? It might be boring to some but it will be a feat for sure. I know the youngster that did 10K at Fremont older and he did a similar style route. Up and over repeatedly.

Paul

mtbr member

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    When we going to do the 10k ST joes ride? I am thinking about next friday if the weather holds off. I was thinking about starting at Jones gate going to the top, then going down to the base of the dam and back over. I guess if that route is done 13-15 times, 10K would be achieved. I wonder how long this will take and where to park for that long? It might be boring to some but it will be a feat for sure. I know the youngster that did 10K at Fremont older and he did a similar style route. Up and over repeatedly.

Paul
    Yes, curious. That Friday just might work. Let's check in closer to the date. I'll also see about having a loaded cooler and BBQ cranking for our final decent. I am thinking music in the earbuds might help the tedium. I actually wonder if I can even do 10k?! Perhaps I'll stretch.

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me. I will also need some music as well and this time I will pick something slightly less prone to me trying to end it all. I am probably like you in that I make all these grand plans and then my CFO (chief financial officer=wife) cancels them. It goes something like this:
    WIFE-"Why are you asking me about friday? Are you planning on a bike ride or something because I have Fridays off and I though we could spend some time together" ME: "Oh ok. A few riding buddies wanted to go out and have me show them the trails in Los Gatos. So maybe I could go for a little while?" WIFE"Your version of a little while is like 5 hours. No." ME"Ok hun, I will tell them but they are going to be disappointed." WIFE-Giving me the look and then watching as silently relent.

fc
    Team,

I have 5 free entries for Sea Otter that I'd like to give away to any deserving team member.

Please pm me and I'll send you the bro code.

Just make sure you'll show up for your race and represent us well. You can volunteer in our booth too and hang with the hotties.

fc

fc
    I just tried the Strava app. Instant upload and no gps needed.

http://app.strava.com/rides/365821

Wow, kudos. I'm KOM on that segment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Nice, I'll have to go find that road and steal your KOM!

The question for me with the iPhone app is the accuracy of the elevation calculation, given that it doesn't have a built-in barometer. Previously Strava said that the KOM competition was only available to GPS devices with barometric altitude. GPS elevation is generally too inaccurate, so I presume that Strava are correcting elevation on the server side using the elevation data set for the US. Many have reported wild discrepancies using that feature on other sides (Garmin Connect, Map My Ride, etc).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Any word on if Strava is planning to release an Android version?

mtbr member

What an effort!

Dude! At .08 miles you must have been totally bonking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The weather forecast for Wednesday is really good: 70F and no rain. Finally!
    I'm planning an Wednesday afternoon road ride from Cupertino to Big Basin and beyond - maybe even up Jamison Creek Road - for a close to 10k day. Anyone interested in joining me?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    The weather forecast for Wednesday is really good: 70F and no rain. Finally!
    I'm planning an Wednesday afternoon road ride from Cupertino to Big Basin and beyond - maybe even up Jamison Creek Road - for a close to 10k day. Anyone interested in joining me?
    Thanks again to you and your son Menso, took the Mensocycle on it’s first real ride in my hands, with the crappy components I was able to afford—not bad for a first time out on skinny tires, with crappy brakes, 1" too long of a stem, and heavy-ass cheapo drivetrain components:

http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...is-very-366217

Surely when the trails dry up I can get up there another place or two. Cannot wait to school the trails at SCTP when things dry up… if this damn rain ever stops!

mtbr member
    Today is the day I am thinking Porkstacker goes over 100k of climbing for March

Impressive..very impressive. This is an accomplishment that most of us will never achieve. Pretty awesome.

So congrats to you Porkstacker...cant wait to meet you and ride with you.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Today is the day I am thinking Porkstacker goes over 100k of climbing for March

Impressive..very impressive. This is an accomplishment that most of us will never achieve. Pretty awesome.

So congrats to you Porkstacker...cant wait to meet you and ride with you.
    I've been watching Porkstacker's progress with admiration too.. impressive dedication to the cause!

PRETENDURO
    Yeah, it happened. Seriously, I have nothing else going on right now.

PRETENDURO
    Today was seeming pretty much “it” for me, like it was hard work, I was feeling tired, as though this Strava vertical pissing match KOM stuff is not fun anymore. These thoughts crossed my mind on several occasions, while going up Kennedy Trail (just past the oak tree as well as on the rollercoasters) and later on when going up Cardiac Hill to the vista at the top (St. Joseph’s). I was telling myself, “This is not really fun anymore. I am doing this crap pretty much every day. I just feel more and more tired every day. I am tired of feeling so crappy on my rides”. And then later on, after having uploaded my GPS footies to Strava, being absolutely shocked to find a KOM on probably the hardest climb around these parts (the 3 Walls climb on Kennedy to Woods), and a #2 on the back of Kennedy to Woods climb—just two seconds behind J.L. the master’s time.

Yeah, I am a dumbass, I keep telling myself I like to do 5,000+ feet of climbing every day. 1/3 of the way through the climb, each time, I think I have a climbing abuse problem. My legs always feel sore, yet every day I come back for more. My body hurts, but it feels… well, OK I guess. Cheaper than a drug problem though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Riding getting stale

Oh, no: did you take one of my KOM medals away? I'll have to come out there again soon to (try to) reclaim it. I think part of your problem is that you're riding the same loop over and over again. I did pretty much the same in Fremont Older a few years back and then I discovered the real fun trails everywhere else. We should ride some of that together once the trails are dry. If you insist on Kennedy, it's nice to mix it up with some variety: go down Dogmeat and Overgrown or do your loop in reverse. Better yet enjoy Santa Teresa Park (once it's open to bikes). The poppies must start to flower on Stiles Ranch and coming down Rocky Ridge is so much fun. Even Almaden Quicksilver and El Sereno would be better than riding Kennedy every day, I'd think.
    Just keep climbing for the team - so the rest of us can take it easy.

PRETENDURO
    JL, I am very much looking forward to the re-opening of the trails at STCP… I promise I will do TRIPLE repeats of Stiles - Hidden Springs - Rocky Ridge per ride on the Mensocycle… and perhaps a Hicks - Umunhum finish a couple of times once things are back to rideable/mudless there.

Actually, I have only done Priest Rock/Woods in reverse once, and I thought I was going to f**king die going up that stuff: http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...ndy-and-355105 I have no idea how I got a 10th place overall, I was in serious agony. People who ride up that direction are ANIMALS, plain and simple (ancient rascal is one of those animals). I have respect for those who do that ride uphill. I did that ride on the heavy bike with the 32x20 setup, but with the heavy-ass knobbies instead of the lighter weight slicks.

I think once Sea Otter passes, I will need to slow down on the Strava addiction for a bit of time. Yes, I signed up—Francois’ encouragement didn’t help me much! I have never raced before, I am scheduled to do the Cat 3 men’s XC race, which looks simple on the altitude profile, but we’ll see how much I suck when race day rolls around. Time to put my money where my pedals… or mouth… or something are.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am a dumbass, I keep telling myself I like to do 5,000+ feet of climbing every day. 1/3 of the way through the climb, each time, I think I have a climbing abuse problem. My legs always feel sore, yet every day I come back for more. My body hurts, but it feels… well, OK I guess. Cheaper than a drug problem though!
    I feel your pain.. last August, the month after I was laid off, I did over 1,000 miles and 95K footies and burned out. I haven't really recovered from that (I don't ride as much as I did before, even when I was working).

But the getting stronger is cool - if you start taking a few breaks you'll get even stronger! I've finally started breaking PRs that I've had for over a year.

Great job

I like mtn biking, too
    My edge 705 is in fact a brick. Nothing has revived it. I have been using MotionX and Strava iphone apps, which won't last for Boggs on Saturday. I was just wondering, does anyone know of any pedal-powered iphone charger?

Porkstacker - If you're still riding that 40+ lb. bike everywhere, then your accomplishment must be worth twice what the roadies on Strava are doing! Congrats. Sounds like you just need some rest, and go ride somewhere fun for a change. The nice weather should open up some more options.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I thought that riding up Kennedy in the rain was purgatory and I only did it the once. I can't believe that you've basically done that almost every single day for a month.

Hipster

External battery pack

I was going to pick up one of these for the longer rides:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013G8PTS

My edge 705 is in fact a brick. Nothing has revived it. I have been using MotionX and Strava iphone apps, which won't last for Boggs on Saturday. I was just wondering, does anyone know of any pedal-powered iphone charger?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is there a keg for every month this year?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch biker
    Is there a keg for every month this year?
    I think so, but a team cannot win back-to-back months, so that is at most 6 kegs. In other words, don't ride tomorrow, save it for Friday!

PRETENDURO
    Sorry JL, I did a boo-boo today:

http://www.strava.com/rides-by-count...y-woods-376649

Funny, once again, how I wake up every day in pain yet go out and pull the same ’ol s**t again. It’s getting a bit tedious.

Oh, was planning on a KOM place finish for the basic “Kennedy to the top” finish today, but spotted ancient rascal on his descent, and of course two ADHD minds together equals at least 20 minutes of jibber-jabber!!! Thanks again ancient rascal for the rest time, it really paid off for the two HARDEST sections out there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Holy Moly Macaroni. I also concentrated on the 3 Walls KOM competition today. Did an easy "granny gear" ride up Kennedy in something like 47 and a half minutes to save myself and hammered the 3 Walls pretty hard. Sure enough I was a minute faster than my PR from a few weeks back and I was absolutely sure I had the KOM title in the bag.
    After the very tasty Burrito at Andale, I rush home to upload the new activity and am shocked to see only a second place medal. Which expert rode the Rollercoaster to spoil my triumph? I was even more surprised to see it was Mr Porkstacker who improved his time by well over a minute today as well. Wow, you got tremendously fast quickly. Time to start doing some races! I see you signed up for Sea Otter as a beginner!? I think you need to move to Cat 2. You're way too fast for a beginner and you'll get frustrated by all the slow pokes in front of you on the single track. Also: everyone will call you a "Sandbagger", if you get on the beginners podium, even if it is your first race.
    I returned via LimeKiln and Dogmeat, most of which I climbed easily, but I had to walk a section near the top and took it easy on the twilight ride down Kennedy as well. All together I didn't come anywhere close to Francis' Kennedy Loop Challenge time. I don't think I'll ever do. When Francis really wants to go fast, he goes very fast! Oh well, it was good exercise, but indeed this loop is only for those who enjoy unrelenting steep climbs and boring fire-road downhills. I like my Demo XC Challenge a lot better.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 03-30-2011 at 09:52 PM.

PRETENDURO
    J.L., once again, I really had no idea how fast I was jamming through there. When I first caught wind of your 6:30 KOM (Back of Kennedy to Woods from a week or so ago) I figured there was no way I’d ever be able to touch it—but I guess riding up and down those hills every day, waking up in pain every day, telling myself every day I am crazy, well, it must all add up for something. Sorry about that, more than one minute difference. I think I need to try something different now, perhaps doing uphill on Limekiln or Priest Rock (from Alma Bridge) to Woods to Kennedy or something excruciatingly painful like that. I’d like to eclipse Cardiac Hill and the Cardiac Hill to the Vista climbs though, surely some pain will come to surface on those psychotic sprints.

As for the racing thing, I have NEVER before entered into any sort of bicycle-centric racing event. The only racing I’ve ever done was auto racing with NASA/SCCA back in the early 1990s with my hopped-up-on-upgrades 1963 Volvo from hell (smoked several cars in my class, including a small handful of Porsche 911s, a few Triumphs, two Sunbeam Tigers, and almost ate a Miata). So, anyone claiming “sandbagging”, well, you suck since I’ve never raced in a bicycle race before. Sure, I at times have a very competitive attitude, I would just like to see what sort of pain/abuse threshold my body is capable of.

190lbs of climber
    —but I guess riding up and down those hills every day, waking up in pain every day, telling myself every day I am crazy, well, it must all add up for something.
    Try taking a day off for every three days of riding, then you'll really be fast! Seriously, if I've learned anything in the last four years, it's the value of off days. Yes, I never ride more than 3 or 4 days in a row, except for stage races.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    Try taking a day off for every three days of riding, then you'll really be fast! Seriously, if I've learned anything in the last four years, it's the value of off days. Yes, I never ride more than 3 or 4 days in a row, except for stage races.
    Menso, the problem is that I have nothing better to do… oh, and I told myself I would ride every day this month. Once March is over, I’ll take it easy just a bit.

mtbr member
    Menso, the problem is that I have nothing better to do… oh, and I told myself I would ride every day this month. Once March is over, I’ll take it easy just a bit.
    We shall see if the madness stops. Looks like a pretty bad ....... even terminal case of Stravitus?
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

PRETENDURO
    Hey there ancient rascal, I think April is your month for Strava footies. I am sort of burned out for the time being. Your bike is pretty much the ultimate setup for doing the Kennedy/Woods/Barlow/etc. thing, in my opinion—light, nimble, SS, simple, efficient.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2