Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtbr.com KOM at Strava

52K views 839 replies 78 participants last post by  urban turban 
#1 ·
Our team is one day old but we have rocketed to 8th place:
mtbr.com's Rides in February Climbing Competition for February »
Rank Athlete # Rides Elevation Gain (ft)
1 Steve Biggs 10 23,796
2 Josh Davidson 8 23,783
3 Arya Touserkani 6 20,275
4 Francis Cebedo 9 19,715
5 A. S. K. 6 17,559
6 sparkyJay . 7 16,957
7 Julie Kanagy 5 11,041
8 Dan King 5 10,782
9 Cherubin Cebedo 6 9,220
10 Paul MARSHALL 2 4,449
Total 64 rides 157,577 ft

http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

We have 11 participants right now but 7 of them are not signed up for the KOM. Go to the KOM page and sign up.

For those on Strava, add mtbr.com as your club and then sign up for KOM.

I am on injured reserve right now but my wife is taking up the slack!!

fc

See less See more
#477 ·
1. KOM Challenge: Francis, hearty congratulations to the mtbr.com team. You guys really put the legs down to put a late surge over the runner ups, San Francisco's Mission Cycling, last month's Club winners. Was the determination level pretty intense during those last few days?

There were some huge numbers being logged in the last three days of the contest - that sort of says it all!

2. KOM Challenge: The majority of feet your team racked up were done on mountain bikes, right?

I'm normally 50/50, but last month I was about 20/80 (mtb/road). The rain kept me out of the dirt, and it's more convenient for me to get footies on the road bike. As soon as it dries up, I'm back in the dirt!

3. KOM Challenge: Tell us about some of the team members? With 65 members I'm sure you have a few characters that really stand out in the crowd? (ages, background, gender, employment, etc)

The biggest thing for me is the absence of a wife / kids / full-time gf. I have the time that others don't!

4. KOM Challenge: Francis, perhaps you could go out back and drag a few club members in here so we can get their take on the KOM Challenge - what it meant to them? How it might have pushed them to achieve?

A lot of us race at some level, so we're pretty competitive. I think Marco (who ironically isn't on the MTBR team), said it best - "If there's a guy next to me pedaling, it's on. Can't help it."

It was a lot of fun working with everyone to help put the team on top. I'm looking forward to riding with the guys I haven't ridden with yet!

5. KOM Challenge: Gents, what's the off-road experience like in the San Jose and South Bay area? Is there a lot of access? Restrictions? User conflicts?

As an East Bay resident, I wish I had better access (lived closer) to that South Bay singletrack. In these parts, it's pretty much either fire roads or pavement.

7. KOM Challenge: Do you see mtbr.com encouraging your users to form other regional teams?

I don't think Southern California even knew what Strava was. And check JL's last comment in this thread - if someone did that to us in the NorCal forum, it would be WAR:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=686289

8. KOM Challenge: Any particular beer you want in the keg you guys have earned?

Not a beer drinker, but you'd never know it by my physique...

9. KOM Challenge: What surprised you the most in this experience?

I'm surprised it took JL this long to get a GPS and join Strava :)

#479 ·
Just a couple little things...

1. KOM Challenge: Francis, hearty congratulations to the mtbr.com team. You guys really put the legs down to put a late surge over the runner ups, San Francisco's Mission Cycling, last month's Club winners. Was the determination level pretty intense during those last few days?

It was pretty inspiring checking the Mtbr.com KOM at Strava thread, seeing what freezing cold ride in the dark, pelting sideways rain people were doing next. Like someone recently said - We are only on one drug, and that is MTBR! :p

2. KOM Challenge: The majority of feet your team racked up were done on mountain bikes, right?

70/30, mountain bike on the dirt and cyclocross bike well, everywhere. I don't own a road bike. :yawn: ;)

3. KOM Challenge: Tell us about some of the team members? With 65 members I'm sure you have a few characters that really stand out in the crowd? (ages, background, gender, employment, etc)

Yeah, us women kinda stand out in this crowd. All 3 of us! Or, maybe there are 4? Oh yeah, and I'm employed.

5. KOM Challenge: Gents, what's the off-road experience like in the San Jose and South Bay area? Is there a lot of access? Restrictions? User conflicts?

We have some wonderful trails open to biking in the south bay. There are a few congested spots on fair weather weekends, but they are easily avoided. I'd say 99% of the other users I encounter on the trails are really friendly or don't care that I'm there. I make an effort to be nice.

8. KOM Challenge: Any particular beer you want in the keg you guys have earned?

I think the people who put in the most footies should get to answer this one.... :)

#480 ·
sparkyJay said:
I am not a strong rider as most will pass me on the climbs, but I can climb all day so it worked out perfectly for me.
Sounds a lot like me! I saw ratpick's 30 minute time up Sierra, at the start of an 8,000 foot day. If I pin it, I summit in about 37 minutes.

I figure a few things proved to be critical in letting me get my numbers:

1) No family / full-time gf to look after
2) A reasonably light road bike, with a compact crankset and an 11/28 cassette
3) Living at the bottom of a 1000 foot hill with gentle grades
4) Powerful lights

Also, route selection. It looked like lots of guys were going for big numbers on long, sustained climbs. I looked for elevation on shorter, gentler grades. It's sort of like doing sets of 2 sets of 10 versus 1 set of 20 lifting weights - in the end, I'll feel less burned and get bigger numbers with those sets of 10.

Just got back on the bike this morning after taking a few days off. I think I'm going to a 3 days bike / 3 days run schedule, so my numbers won't be as big. But I should still have plenty to contribute :)

#482 ·
SFChristo said:
Dios mio, it's beautiful outside. At my desk working faster than a crack fiend so I can get out and ride this afternoon. Looks like another road ride, my LBS is still rebuilding my baby's bottom bracket after the beating it took at the race last weekend...
I got in a short ride this morning... I saw at least 20 other bikes out on the trails in LG before 7:15 AM. it is just about perfect out there. Go ride if you can.

#483 ·
MrCrash said:

9. KOM Challenge: What surprised you the most in this experience?

I'm surprised it took JL this long to get a GPS and join Strava :)

Yes, funny! I'm surprised myself. I didn't think GPS tracking and in particular Strava would be so interesting. My stopwatch was doing just fine on Seven Springs loop, but now I realize there's a whole world of competition out there. However, to keep with jms request for humility I promise not to post my KOM titles on mtbr (too often) anymore. I know there are lots of much faster riders out there anyway, so it's just a matter of time before I'm middle of the pack again.

#484 ·
MrCrash said:
Sounds a lot like me! I saw ratpick's 30 minute time up Sierra, at the start of an 8,000 foot day. If I pin it, I summit in about 37 minutes.
That's nice to hear. I get a lot of motivation looking at what y'all are doing on the climbs so nice to see I can provide some too :) Being able to isolate and compare times on climbs is a great feature of Strava.

My times are just the result of long-term unemployment (today is the last day of that - new job on Monday) and a commitment to use the time to get stronger. Oh, and no kids :)

#488 ·
I can't wait to be back on the bike adding footies, Sorry that I have been absent from the challenge for a couple of weeks. Unexpected sad things happened and I ended up in MD for a little bit. However, my little contribution was not even necessary! :) This is going to be a big, amazing year... go team!

#491 ·
Porkstacker- I saw you today while I was driving to ST Joes. I saw the fat tired bike and knew it was you right away. I yelled "PORKSTACKER" but you were busy balancing on those big wheels at a red light. I then went on to absolutely kill myself on St Joes. I pegged myself as hard as I could go. Gave it the full beans. I had to drop the bike and walk around so mt heart didn't explode! I was spent. I did one short lap again but just had nothing left. I have never ridden so hard ever in my life. I accomplished my goal and got 3rd in one segment and 2nd in another. One other thing I am planning on. I am going to take a day and devote it to Sierra Rd repeats. I am going to do as many as I can. I know the one guy did it 16 times. Not sure when this will happen but I am super motivated to give it a go. I will do it sometime before the 10k demo ride. What a great day it was outside today.

#492 ·
shredchic said:
I can't wait to be back on the bike adding footies, Sorry that I have been absent from the challenge for a couple of weeks. Unexpected sad things happened and I ended up in MD for a little bit. However, my little contribution was not even necessary! :) This is going to be a big, amazing year... go team!
The best thing about coming back from injury is.... even crappy rides feel AWESOME!

fc

#493 ·
pmarshall said:
Porkstacker- I saw you today while I was driving to ST Joes. I saw the fat tired bike and knew it was you right away. I yelled "PORKSTACKER" but you were busy balancing on those big wheels at a red light. I then went on to absolutely kill myself on St Joes. I pegged myself as hard as I could go. Gave it the full beans. I had to drop the bike and walk around so mt heart didn't explode! I was spent. I did one short lap again but just had nothing left. I have never ridden so hard ever in my life. I accomplished my goal and got 3rd in one segment and 2nd in another. One other thing I am planning on. I am going to take a day and devote it to Sierra Rd repeats. I am going to do as many as I can. I know the one guy did it 16 times. Not sure when this will happen but I am super motivated to give it a go. I will do it sometime before the 10k demo ride. What a great day it was outside today.
Holy carp, that's fast!!!

fc

#494 ·
pmarshall said:
Wow, guess it was a pretty intense trackstand, I didn't hear you. :confused: I always trackstand instead of unclipping, since I get a better reaction time off the line when the tree goes green.

#499 ·
sparkyJay said:
Smart money is on LP to ride anyway! That man is driven. :D
Soar's wants out tamale and my bike is locked up in the car ready to go. Usually just leave her locked and loaded after a Saturday ride. Kennedy tamale if not tooo rainy and wet. :thumbsup: Got some sprinklin going on now though in Santa Clara :mad: :rolleyes: :skep:

#500 ·
I’m thinking about being at the Top O The Hill intersection trailhead starting point no later than 9:00AM tomorrow morning. Anyone fancy meeting up there? Yes, the rumours are true, rain will not deter me, I am used to having to hose down the bike (me as well) afterward. I will be riding to/from the starting point, so I will be warmed up… but on a heavy-ass bike once again. :rolleyes: Bonus for me though, I scored two (2) 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddis off of eBay for only $81 (including shipping!!! :eekster: :eekster: :eekster: :eek: ), mounted a new one on the back wheel today (running a 26" front/24" rear setup), so I should have better traction on the slippery gooey stuff.

Looking forward to tomorrow. PM or post here if you are interested in meeting up. I plan on starting up the Kennedy trail no later than 9:10AM, so look sharp—BE sharp. :nono:

Oh yeah, I’ll be the guy on the monkeybutt (zero suspension) bike with fat tires/wheels, will be in appropriate Fred attire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.