Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    Josh: KOM (King of the Morons)
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/424854/embed/9c0d6a41a81914f8d8224d5de164068096dfc9a2'></iframe>
    I tried to join the club and failed....

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/565097/embed/ec32cce1f88dddf2ae35e20d2146fbfaa33c3750'></iframe>

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/565097/embed/ec32cce1f88dddf2ae35e20d2146fbfaa33c3750'></iframe>
    Fail or not, we all are part of a TEAMa fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirits of our ancestors. Well done!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks LP. I'm feeling pretty good now...eating all the food I can get my hands on.

mtbr member
    Not a ton of footies for the mileage but collected some KOM's for the cause in Nisene and Demo today. Fun ride, I didn't miss not going to Spring Thaw...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtbr.com KOM at Strava-ride.jpg  

Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member

E

Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM

for effort, my man. Even though you didn't hit the mark, you are still a moron in my book for even trying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    for effort, my man. Even though you didn't hit the mark, you are still a moron in my book for even trying.
    Thanks. It means a lot coming from you.

bike buster
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50
    Not a ton of footies for the mileage but collected some KOM's for the cause in Nisene and Demo today. Fun ride, I didn't miss not going to Spring Thaw...
    Nice work, man! You're a beast! My buddy and I saw you at the Ridge trailhead when we started down Bacon. You absolutely crushed the climb on the lower part! I'm not bummed to have missed the Spring Thaw either - the weather here was way better, the trails in good shape (and only 1hr away). A great day to be out, for sure.

padded
    So are we eligible to win this month? If so I'll join and upload my rides: I've been logging my rides using MotionX on my iPhone and while I won't be setting any records 4k ft at Demo every Saturday does add up.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    If I join the group with (extremely modest/small/slow/laughable) numbers am I gonna pull down the group, or does every little bit help???

Let's ride
    Go for it, join and have fun. You'll love the tool and interface. It will help you get out and ride/climb more.

mtbr member

At the risk

Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe
    If I join the group with (extremely modest/small/slow/laughable) numbers am I gonna pull down the group, or does every little bit help???
    Of being a chain suck, personally, the competition has lost it's fun for me. We are so deep in riders, all of whom are obviously cool folk, but my feeling is we are winning every month with ease because we simply have so many participants. To take it a step further, this is a climbing competition and think if people want to participate, they should be out logging footies (I think 10k a month should be standard otherwise, why do this?). Not to discourage anyone but for me this would be a hell of a lot more motivating and fun if we cut our team in half and even the playing field a bit.

However, the free keg every other month ain't bad.

Whatever...I am just beat from a sweet day ripping single track at demo. werd

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Of being a chain suck, personally, the competition has lost it's fun for me. We are so deep in riders, all of whom are obviously cool folk, but my feeling is we are winning every month with ease because we simply have so many participants. To take it a step further, this is a climbing competition and think if people want to participate, they should be out logging footies (I think 10k a month should be standard otherwise, why do this?). Not to discourage anyone but for me this would be a hell of a lot more motivating and fun if we cut our team in half and even the playing field a bit.

However, the free keg every other month ain't bad.

Whatever...I am just beat from a sweet day ripping single track at demo. weird

The excitement we had in February managing to narrowly win that month' title is indeed long gone.
    If Strava really wanted a fair competition they should indeed either limit to team membership, or only count, say the top 20 riders toward the team's feet climbing, each month. That would encourage the top riders to make a lot of feet and everyone else to try to make it within the top 20, at least some of the months, to help out the team.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    The excitement we had in February managing to narrowly win that month' title is indeed long gone.
    If Strava really wanted a fair competition they should indeed either limit to team membership, or only count, say the top 20 riders toward the team's feet climbing, each month. That would encourage the top riders to make a lot of feet and everyone else to try to make it within the top 20, at least some of the months, to help out the team.
    1+ great idea.

mtbr member
    I agree with the last couple posts. The other nice thing is it would give teams like Thirsty Bear and Marco Pro-Strava a chance. It would be great if more teams got into the competition, and just onto Strava in general.

mtbr member
    The other option is multiple tiers (60+ riders, 40-60, 20-40, under 20), although that would water down the prize pool, I suppose!

Mission Cycling apparently has a whole stack of additional riders they could bring into their team but made a decision to limit it to active members only. I wish they would open it up and make the contest closer!

mtbr member
    Spoke with Strava at Sea Otter and they are planning to make changes to how the KOM works. Just not sure what yet.

I suggested that rather then just count the top riders for each month...what they should do is count the top 10, or 15 or 20 rides (whatever number works out right) posted each day. That way someone on the team can always contribute even if they arent overall the top riders of the month. It would also encourage some ridiculous climbing days.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    FYI, the Strava app for Android has hit beta and is available for testing. Check their Twitter feed for directions on how to obtain the .apk (installer).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My wife , Jeanie, rode with Menso's Garmin (who forgot his and is borrowing one for his race in Ireland) and she posted her first ride on Strava. She has a few QOM titles already and joined teamed mtbr.com and the climbing competition.

Jeanie's first ride on Strava
    Also known as Menso's dad.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Ok, just an update.

We won April and are eligibile for that $100 (every other month). So we should have some beer money again.

QOM Jill won a bunch of cool stuff for April.

fc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Of being a chain suck, personally, the competition has lost it's fun for me. We are so deep in riders, all of whom are obviously cool folk, but my feeling is we are winning every month with ease because we simply have so many participants.
    We are wining not because of our numbers, we are wining because we have some studs and studets who put in crazy amounts of footies. Our top 20 accounts for half of our footies, over 1,000,000 footies this month. Our closest competitors top 20 is around 800,000. Don't take away from how awesome our team is just because the number of people in it. We win because we deserve it and earn it and whether you put in 1k or 60k know that we all work together towards a common goal, and that's doing what we all love to help achieve a common goal and thats to make and keep MTBR #1.

Chris

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie View Post
    We are wining not because of our numbers, we are wining because we have some studs and studets who put in crazy amounts of footies. Our top 20 accounts for half of our footies, over 1,000,000 footies this month. Our closest competitors top 20 is around 800,000. Don't take away from how awesome our team is just because the number of people in it. We win because we deserve it and earn it and whether you put in 1k or 60k know that we all work together towards a common goal, and that's doing what we all love to help achieve a common goal and thats to make and keep MTBR #1.

Chris
    They are going to fix it.

They can limit it to 50 riders, 20 riders, 2 riders. Doesn't matter. We're going to win.

fc

I like mtn biking, too
    Just a random thought...

I wish Strava was smart enough to see that if your ride has portions on a freeway at 60mph+, it probably means that you forgot to hit the stop button at the end of your ride. It would be nice to be taken to a page, like the create segment page, where you can use their handy slider thingy to edit out portions of your ride that don't make any sense. I realize the files can be edited manually, but it's a painstaking effort.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

MSH
    mtbr member
    Just a random data point here. Took some of the top teams YTD and looked at their top 10 climbers. mtbr sits in 3rd place (once again I only took the top 10 climbers from some of the current top 10 ten overall teams, so there may be some other, smaller teams further down the list that I didn't look at that have 10 riders that are just killing it)..

MarcPro - Strava - 2,930,548
    IronDataThirstyBear - 2,844,971
    mtbr - 2,484,959
    Peloton Sports - 2,475,889
    SJBC - 2,111,411
    Mission Cycling - 1,952,722

Certainly makes it a bit more interesting if you do the proposed limit of taking the top 10, 20, etc climbers each month to count towards the team # for the month

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Just a random thought...

I wish Strava was smart enough to see that if your ride has portions on a freeway at 60mph+, it probably means that you forgot to hit the stop button at the end of your ride. It would be nice to be taken to a page, like the create segment page, where you can use their handy slider thingy to edit out portions of your ride that don't make any sense. I realize the files can be edited manually, but it's a painstaking effort.
    They will fix this for you (so I've heard) if you ask...

mtbr member
    It's been fun piling up elevation for the KOM challenge.
    Also good to see the mtbr.com insignia on the top three
    at individual men monthly climbing competition in June.

Ride on!

Kornel

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by uzisuicide View Post
    It's been fun piling up elevation for the KOM challenge.
    Also good to see the mtbr.com insignia on the top three
    at individual men monthly climbing competition in June.

Ride on!

Kornel
    Nice job eh! Dunno what the weather has been like where you live, but when I did my KOM for March for the MTBR team, the weather was cool, and sometimes cold and raining. I found it easier to belt out the footies in the cooler weather.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I ride year long and a chilly summer night compare to
    a single digit winter blizzard is a breeze I agree, riding in
    colder temperatures is easier, because your heart doesn't beat
    fast so you burn less energy. Go for the Strava 150k climbing event!!

mtbr member
    Is anybody paying attention to the KOM contest anymore? I defected from MTBR and joined RoadBikeReview's club for the contest since MTBR doesn't need me to win, and I'd like to help the other forum break high into the top 10. Anyone else who is a member of both want to do the same?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Is anybody paying attention to the KOM contest anymore? I defected from MTBR and joined RoadBikeReview's club for the contest since MTBR doesn't need me to win, and I'd like to help the other forum break high into the top 10. Anyone else who is a member of both want to do the same?
    I haven't paid much attention in a few months. A few local friends are campaigning for KOM help, but I haven't done anything yet. No one would miss my footies, but I don't know if it would affect historic results.

mtbr member

Sure...I joined your squad

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    But I don't road bike...hope that isn't a problem.

mtbr member

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I stopped caring when they started making up rules to prevent us from winning every month

ask
    user
    ^ +1 what rox said.

mtbr member

I stopped caring...

Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    I stopped caring when they started making up rules to prevent us from winning every month
    when we had twice as many riders as any other team in the field...where's the fun in that. Sure was fun in the beginning though...I actually wanted to climb for a change. :0

fc
    Yesterday, I missed my PR by one second at Cora Older. I missed Colin's KOM by many seconds.

I pledged that I would not drink a beer until I broke my PR and I would not have a Pliny until I beat Colin.

I just uploaded and I am holding back the Pliny tears. Sorry my buddy Colin.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/segments/645599/embed'></iframe>

This one is hard to beat... 12 mph climb with 4 switchbacks.

fc

VRC Illuminati
    I just signed up for Strava a few weeks ago...I don't see myself getting any climb or overall trophies any time soon...but its pretty cool to mess around with.

The iPhone app has worked good.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I just signed up for Strava a few weeks ago...I don't see myself getting any climb or overall trophies any time soon...but its pretty cool to mess around with.

The iPhone app has worked good.
    Dude If I've got KOM's you can get KOM's. Just upload your rides and see... Many obvious climbs are still relatively empty of rides in the MTB/gravel grinder side of things. Not Skeggs of course, but I'm always surprised that stuff I've been riding for years doesn't have segments.

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    Right. MTBR is so far out in front, I wanted to join another club to recover the energy that we had when we first started.

Maybe interest might increase here if there's more competition with Mission Cycling too

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

This one is hard to beat... 12 mph climb with 4 switchbacks.

fc
    Oh man trouble... the big kids are playing. Marco is motivated and there's this Menso character now too.

fc

mtbr member
    We are losing the overall 2011 climbing competition to a single person. He put in one serious ride... Bike Ride Profile | 112 miles near Louisville | Times and Records | Strava

Right at mile 79 he goes up 2.6 million miles into space.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617