Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtbr.com KOM at Strava

52K views 839 replies 78 participants last post by  urban turban 
#1 ·
Our team is one day old but we have rocketed to 8th place:
mtbr.com's Rides in February Climbing Competition for February »
Rank Athlete # Rides Elevation Gain (ft)
1 Steve Biggs 10 23,796
2 Josh Davidson 8 23,783
3 Arya Touserkani 6 20,275
4 Francis Cebedo 9 19,715
5 A. S. K. 6 17,559
6 sparkyJay . 7 16,957
7 Julie Kanagy 5 11,041
8 Dan King 5 10,782
9 Cherubin Cebedo 6 9,220
10 Paul MARSHALL 2 4,449
Total 64 rides 157,577 ft

http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

We have 11 participants right now but 7 of them are not signed up for the KOM. Go to the KOM page and sign up.

For those on Strava, add mtbr.com as your club and then sign up for KOM.

I am on injured reserve right now but my wife is taking up the slack!!

fc

See less See more
#402 ·
urban turban said:
I can meet you over by the backside of St. Joes on Alma Bridge Road. Just let me know what time. Depending on how I feel I may be able to put in two climbs.
5:30pm, be there or be [_]

Everyone's welcome to join. The full Soda Springs climb is ~1hr and 2400ft. We'll do a casual pace and try to do a no drop ride. Bring warm gloves and an extra layer for the DH.

Soda Springs Rd. is like a good belgian beer; fairly smooth, doesn't go higher than 11-12% and there are some fruit notes up on top.

I heard someone will be there attempting 4 loops. We'll cheer her/him on.

#404 ·
All I have to add is 339 ft for the weekend. Was at the first round of the Kenda Cup in San Diego and there was so much snow on the regular course that they had us ride this little CX-style circuit around the start/finish area. Unfortunately, the course was almost entirely devoid of anything resembling elevation change.

#406 ·
I figured out how to message all 75 members. Basically, an admin (urban, squashyo) can post a note. The note is displayed on the club page and an email is sent to all members.

I sent a message to everyone reminding them to join the KOM challenge.

Don't pop the cork yet but keep it on standby.

fc

Attachments

#408 ·
OK, so here's how it went:

(door opens)
Wife: Hey, your home early?
Squashyo: Heyyyyy. Wow, you look amazing! Are you losing weight or something? Ya know, we should start up date night again!
Wife: (Stares...long silence)
Squashyo: Say, I was thinking of going for a super quick ride. Did you get a haircut, you really look terrific!
Wife: (long pause) Dude, you went for a ride this morning. You seriously have a problem...
Squashyo: (Grovel, pander, whine)
Wife: Just be home by 6.

Wasn't going to end the month on 48,500. Hit Kennedy loop...50k+ for the month. Thanks Strava and MTBR for increasing my monthly average by 10k...please rain soon...I need a break.

#409 ·
francois said:
I made my wife ride! We added 3700! Strava says I was idle for 17 days! 17 days??? Game over man.

I saw JL at Mt. Eden road. He did not notice me since he had the eye. The eye of the tiger!
I was halfway down Mt Eden road when I realized it was you and your wife adding on to the feet of climbing. I had to hurry back to get to work after my rather long lunch time ride to do my share for the team today. Glad you're able to ride again. Within a week you'll be back in your old shape. J.L.

#411 ·
You guys are unbelievable....in a good way! I am inspired to ride a LOT more and hit the climbs more too. I have no idea how you all do the footies you do but I will do my best to add to it in the coming months.

I have been a Strava member since they got started (or close to it) and I think this competition is going to drive you people insane!!! Hahaha. If I didnt know any better I would say you are all a little competitive....just a tad!!!!
;o)

#412 ·
Only got in 3500 today but it was all singletrack. Barely made it to work on time.

As for Strava codes...they are all gone for now...I might be able to swing some more next month but I think my source is getting a bit sour at me for asking so much :)

Also Francois...not sure if possible but maybe next month MTBR can put up some swag for our own KOM and QOM or something. Not that the guys at the top need any more motivation...they all crazy.

#413 ·
MTBShane said:
You guys are unbelievable....in a good way! I am inspired to ride a LOT more and hit the climbs more too. I have no idea how you all do the footies you do but I will do my best to add to it in the coming months.

I have been a Strava member since they got started (or close to it) and I think this competition is going to drive you people insane!!! Hahaha. If I didnt know any better I would say you are all a little competitive....just a tad!!!!
;o)
Dude,
Once the weather turns for the better, I'm gonna drag your butt out for more evening rides with me. It's a lot easier to motivate when you have someone pushing you.

I just had to get one more ride in for the month. I couldn't end the month so close to 40,000', so I put in a Hwy 9 climb today to put me over. Not to bad considering that I had the flu for one week and couldn't ride at all plus the cold/wet weather the last few weeks (I had to ride in the snow on Saturday on Skyline to get from 9 to 84).

I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing a lot of elevation in the coming months. I think it's gonna be a brutal summer :eek:

-greg

#415 ·
squashyo said:
Wife: (long pause) Dude, you went for a ride this morning. You seriously have a problem...
Wife: Just be home by 6.....
Love this....good stuff. Thanks for the laugh...I've been there more than a few times.

BTW - I checked the KOM Challenge FAQ's and everyone has until two days after the end of the month to upload rides, so this thing really isn't over until 3/3. Looks like the team has a bit of a cushion right now, but I imagine Mission will keep recruiting others that haven't signed up yet.

"You can upload rides for a particular month up to two days after the end of the month. So rides for this February, for example, will be accepted into the competition so long as they are uploaded by the end of March 2nd."

http://support.strava.com/kb/events/studio-velo-kom-competition

#418 ·
jdubsl2 said:
Pedaled the Nomad 32 mi / 8,600ft after work today... in full MTBR kit. :thumbsup:

I'm beat.
WTF????:eekster: :eekster: HOW.......just HOW do you climb that much in a single day?? I either need to get my hands on some PED's or just give my bicycles away! I dont think I could ever do that - especially on a week day.:skep:

I dont even know if I could do that in a week!!!:D

#419 ·
Power Play said:
Dude,
Once the weather turns for the better, I'm gonna drag your butt out for more evening rides with me. It's a lot easier to motivate when you have someone pushing you.

I just had to get one more ride in for the month. I couldn't end the month so close to 40,000', so I put in a Hwy 9 climb today to put me over. Not to bad considering that I had the flu for one week and couldn't ride at all plus the cold/wet weather the last few weeks (I had to ride in the snow on Saturday on Skyline to get from 9 to 84).

I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing a lot of elevation in the coming months. I think it's gonna be a brutal summer :eek:

-greg
Yeah - I was bragging about recruiting you so I DIDNT HAVE TO ride that much!!!:p Time to step it up I guess, I feel like a big wuss compared to these monsters!

#422 ·
That's funny Josh. Nice running into you at the dam. Hope you made it home by 6pm.

squashyo said:
OK, so here's how it went:

(door opens)
Wife: Hey, your home early?
Squashyo: Heyyyyy. Wow, you look amazing! Are you losing weight or something? Ya know, we should start up date night again!
Wife: (Stares...long silence)
Squashyo: Say, I was thinking of going for a super quick ride. Did you get a haircut, you really look terrific!
Wife: Just be home by 6.

Wasn't going to end the month on 48,500. Hit Kennedy loop...50k+ for the month. Thanks Strava and MTBR for increasing my monthly average by 10k...please rain soon...I need a break.

#424 ·
francois said:
I figured out how to message all 75 members. Basically, an admin (urban, squashyo) can post a note. The note is displayed on the club page and an email is sent to all members.

I sent a message to everyone reminding them to join the KOM challenge.

Don't pop the cork yet but keep it on standby.

fc
Nice work on the Belgian bar ends! I have them (from Affligem Triples) on both my bikes:

Anyhow I managed another 5,498 feet today. I felt great; could have gone and done Soda Springs for an additional 3,000 feet if there was a way for me to refill one of my water bottles, and perhaps had another 500 or so calories of snacks to munch on. All in all, I feel as though my February contributions were sufficient, all things (*cough* heavy-ass bike with 9 pound rear wheel *cough*) considered, and also missing one week due to the flu. Tomorrow I will aim high-if Santa Teresa is open tomorrow, I will just loop up and down and up and down and up and down all day long, as they have full restrooms and a place to fill up on water with. I could in theory rack up 8,000 feet before getting tired.

In summary, I hope this is it- I hope we did it. We sure rode our asses off. Let's make every month matter. Unemployed people such as myself have the upper hand, but don't let that be the only reason to ride.

GOOD WORK, EVERYONE! :thumbsup:

#425 ·
last rides for February

Had to go big today after coming up short a few times this week. Got 7000+ on a double summit adventure on Mt Diablo. Not quite dead yet, I changed bikes and went into Briones searching for more footies. Found another 1800+ and then just hit the wall. Cold and tired, I went home before they even closed up for the night. :bluefrown:

OK, thank God that February is over and in the books. There is no way that I can keep up that pace for another month. I will continue to log my rides in the competition, but I don't plan to take every opportunity to ride. I would really like to see the names at the top of the chart rotate somewhat each month just to keep things fresh.

The mtbr juggernaut is really gaining steam! So who has what it takes to make a run for the top of our chart in March? Step right up and see if you have the right stuff. I wish all competitors well and may the most determined rider prevail.

#426 ·
MTBShane said:
WTF????:eekster: :eekster: HOW.......just HOW do you climb that much in a single day?? I either need to get my hands on some PED's or just give my bicycles away! I dont think I could ever do that - especially on a week day.:skep:

I dont even know if I could do that in a week!!!:D
Try 8,752 on a heavy bike. In the snow. In the freezing cold. Without proper cold weather attire. It will eat you alive and make you wish you hadn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.