mtbr member
    Oct 2008

MTB'ing in Bay Area: Suggestions Needed

I'm moving to the Bay Area (Berkeley) next month and I'm curious what the mtb'ing scene is like there. I was there last week visiting and saw a lot of roadies. Plenty of mtbing, or not really? Any trail recommendations (looking for 8-10 mile rides on average).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides is a great place to start.

mtbr member

You're going to have to work a little harder and do a search, as there's tons of threads on this. That being said...if you're looking for short loops you'll have good success in most of the hills open space areas (Joaquin miller, Redwood, Tilden, Chabot, etc.). Not much ST, but lots of great dirt loops to explore.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: MTB'ing in Bay Area: Suggestions Needed

And venturing further :
    Skeggs point
    Soquel demonstration forest
    China camp
    Tamarancho
    Saratoga gap/Russian Ridge area

From there you'll figure it out

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions so far. I'll look into some of these. Any good single track rides that loop to the start point?

mtbr member
    Joaquin Miller has the most legal singletrack in the area, because it is a city of Oakland park. For the most part, you will be grinding fire roads in East Bay Regional Parks.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

It's about showing up.
    In the broadest of brushstrokes, the East Bay regional parks offer the closest off-road riding to your location. It is nothing to brag about but in an urban setting, riding from your doorstep, it is nice to have.

Ride up Spruce and enter the Wildcat Canyon/Tilden parks and explore. If you are going to live in this area you had better get to know them. Anything else takes a lot more work to reach.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohnine View Post
    Any good single track rides that loop to the start point?
    China Camp would fit that description, though it's not a challenging loop for an experienced rider. Camp Tamarancho also would, if you don't count the several miles of "approach" on the way there.

Both are listed on my website whose link was given above, as well as in my signature below.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

Paper or plastic?
    Check out the local advocacy club btceb.org They put on monthly rides around the east bay. By and large, the east bay is 90% fireroad, with a few double tracks thrown in. Good news is that you're closer to the Sierra, which is less than 3 hours away from your door and has endless miles of trails.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erginguney View Post
    China Camp would fit that description, though it's not a challenging loop for an experienced rider. Camp Tamarancho also would, if you don't count the several miles of "approach" on the way there.

Both are listed on my website whose link was given above, as well as in my signature below.
    erginguney, what do you mean by "approach"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a chance to drive around Tilden and Redwood to see what mtb'ing might be like, but it did seem like a lot of fire roads. I don't mind driving about an hour to get to some good single track. Suggestions based on that?

Paper or plastic?

Re: MTB'ing in Bay Area: Suggestions Needed

erginguney, what do you mean by "approach"?
    about 2 miles of road riding to the trailhead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I had a chance to drive around Tilden and Redwood to see what mtb'ing might be like, but it did seem like a lot of fire roads. I don't mind driving about an hour to get to some good single track. Suggestions based on that?
    Santa Cruz or Santa Rosa (Annadel)

mtbr member

Not sure you're really going to get a sense of what trails are out there, by driving around. Why not ride your bike around and go explore? That's how most of us do it. For me, exploring is part of the fun and you never know what little trails you might come across. Look at google maps of the hills from El Cerrito down to Hayward: Lots of open space to ride and explore...albeit much of it is fire road. But don't let that keep you from riding your bike. Unless you only ride ST. Then, you might as well get used to driving to other destinations.

mtbr member
    I don't mind driving about an hour to get to some good single track. Suggestions based on that?
    I'm not saying this just to promote my website, but you sound like you haven't yet taken a look at it. All the information you're looking for is presented pretty clearly there. All rides are marked on an interactive map and the ride list clearly shows singletrack percentage as well as multiple rating scores (fun, technical difficulty, etc.) for each ride, which would allow you to make selections at a glance.

It would save you a lot of time compared to trying to fish for feedback from forum members here (not that I'd underestimate the value of first-hand forum advice ).
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by erginguney View Post
    I'm not saying this just to promote my website, but you sound like you haven't yet taken a look at it. All the information you're looking for is presented pretty clearly there. All rides are marked on an interactive map and the ride list clearly shows singletrack percentage as well as multiple rating scores (fun, technical difficulty, etc.) for each ride, which would allow you to make selections at a glance.

It would save you a lot of time compared to trying to fish for feedback from forum members here (not that I'd underestimate the value of first-hand forum advice ).
    Your website rocks btw. I've always followed your suggested rides when riding in a new area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's a great site. I used it a lot when I was a noob. Highly recommended. Thanks for the great resource erginguney.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You're very welcome. Sometimes I wish there were a way of making the site more quickly discoverable to newcomers so that they can have their questions like this answered more easily. Then again, I suppose those who try Google first do discover the site pretty quickly...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1 for Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides It really helped me find some new rides