Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86

    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?

    I'm looking for other kids for my daughter (age 9) to ride with on a regular basis. I figure that if she is riding with other kids, that would build her confidence to ride more trails. She mainly can ride Annadel up Canyon or Richardson to Lake Ilsanjo. In the next year or so, I'd like to take her riding in upper Annadel but I don't want to force it and have her hate it. So!!! I'm wondering if there are other bikers out there with kids (ie ages 8-12?) that would like to start to do regular weekly Saturday rides? Anyone out there with kids in this age group that might be interested?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Taranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by protecthabitat View Post
    I'm looking for other kids for my daughter (age 9) to ride with on a regular basis. I figure that if she is riding with other kids, that would build her confidence to ride more trails. She mainly can ride Annadel up Canyon or Richardson to Lake Ilsanjo. In the next year or so, I'd like to take her riding in upper Annadel but I don't want to force it and have her hate it. So!!! I'm wondering if there are other bikers out there with kids (ie ages 8-12?) that would like to start to do regular weekly Saturday rides? Anyone out there with kids in this age group that might be interested?
    That sounds great! My daughter is 11 and after one overly ambitious mountain bike ride @ China Camp has decided it's not for her. To be honest though I think the Canyon climb would be a stretch for her fitness level right now, but I'm really interested in the concept in case I can convince her to try again.

  3. #3
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    That sounds great! My daughter is 11 and after one overly ambitious mountain bike ride @ China Camp has decided it's not for her. To be honest though I think the Canyon climb would be a stretch for her fitness level right now, but I'm really interested in the concept in case I can convince her to try again.
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of, I don't want to "overdo" it with my daughter yet. Sounds like China Camp might have done that for your daughter? There doesn't seem to be too many local kids with mountain bikes that are interested or able to ride on a regular basis. Maybe I can post a simple ride around spring lake with maybe some Howarth Park single track (would your daughter like that?).

  4. #4
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    Julie bring her up to Boggs. My 8yr old son can do 10-12 miles there and asks for more.

    Annadel not so much. He's done rough go, marsh, cobblestone, live oak, part of north burma, canyon, richardson and two quarry... loves it, but it wears him down quickly.

    Boggs on the other hand he has ridden Mac's, Both Hobergs, Boggs Ridge, Karens, Scout, Shaker, All of Gails, Hardtail, Berrys, Crew, High Chair, Thinners, Ball Cap, Bear Bones, High Point, Boggs Peak and Creek (his favorite). We have ridden all of these in both directions, he walks a few spots... but I mean very few in comparison to Annadel. I think Boggs would be a great confidence builder. My son just started fall baseball, so we are limited again. But we could ride saturdays till early afternoon or sundays starting about mid-day.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,466
    The fun parts of Annadel (like Ridge) might be a slog for kids to get up to. I think Boggs (as abeckstead said), China Camp or even the rad trails of Mendocino would be good for kids. My son is 6, so in a couple years we hope to join you
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  6. #6
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Julie bring her up to Boggs. My 8yr old son can do 10-12 miles there and asks for more.

    Annadel not so much. He's done rough go, marsh, cobblestone, live oak, part of north burma, canyon, richardson and two quarry... loves it, but it wears him down quickly.

    Boggs on the other hand he has ridden Mac's, Both Hobergs, Boggs Ridge, Karens, Scout, Shaker, All of Gails, Hardtail, Berrys, Crew, High Chair, Thinners, Ball Cap, Bear Bones, High Point, Boggs Peak and Creek (his favorite). We have ridden all of these in both directions, he walks a few spots... but I mean very few in comparison to Annadel. I think Boggs would be a great confidence builder. My son just started fall baseball, so we are limited again. But we could ride saturdays till early afternoon or sundays starting about mid-day.
    Thanks for your reply. Boggs would be great, it's just a bit of a drive so not super easy to do with my kid on a regular basis. Maybe I can PM you when we have a chance to go to Boggs?

  7. #7
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    The fun parts of Annadel (like Ridge) might be a slog for kids to get up to. I think Boggs (as abeckstead said), China Camp or even the rad trails of Mendocino would be good for kids. My son is 6, so in a couple years we hope to join you
    Hi Bill, Yes! Stay in the AMBMG loop for future kids Annadel rides... I'm waiting for your son to get older!

  8. #8
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    I understand. I'm spoiled with boggs in my backyard. I'm willing to bring my son to Annadel for some rides. My wife would enjoy a kids Annadel ride more I'm sure You can pm me and I'm on AMBG too. Only been to a couple tue rides.
    Aaron
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

  9. #9
    Pirate!!!
    Reputation: Captain Cobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,069
    My boys 8 & 10yrs are very good riders, they're enthusiasm comes and goes for hitting the local trails (Boggs). This year I've made a point of taking them on mini ride vacations and it really helps to keep them interested.
    Good old Boggs
    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164187.656416.jpg
    Culvert & Confluence in Auburn
    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164326.071445.jpg
    Cool mtb race
    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164407.935907.jpg
    Jackson state Forrest MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164493.105873.jpg
    Little bald hills in Crescent CityMTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164574.407090.jpg
    Anadel
    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346164645.315266.jpg
    They really wanted to do Downieville with me a couple weeks ago but I had never been, I figured ole dad had better check it out first. MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346165553.496807.jpg

  10. #10
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    Love the bull horns! My boy is always doing that too... he's quite the show off lol

    His little 20" hotrock is setup nice with a cutdown crank so he can have two chain rings. The bike is starting to hold him back and I really want to upgrade him... not sure dad can make it till xmas without buying him something cool He was supposed to ride with me sunday, but it sucks when you have to be the parent of your riding buddy.

    Anyhow, set some dates and times... hopefully we can make some rides
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-201854_4496661302853_1901143287_o.jpg  

    MTB kid's group (ages 8-12): Annadel, etc weekly on Saturdays?-pict0143a.jpg  


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Christieland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    119
    Hi Julie! Julie G right? That's cool you have a daughter. I would love it if I had one and she were into riding. I know I would have loved it when I was little, my parents, bless their hearts, are indoor people so now I'm making up for lost time.

    I'm pretty jealous of our friend Tony, his boys Luke (9) and Gianni (11) are obsessed with biking, road and dirt. They raced Annadel, Gianni got 4th, Luke maybe 6th, then Sunday raced a crit and the Fat Tire ladder crit at the SoCo bike expo. Animals. I don't know how or what Tony did, but the kids can't get enough of bicycles. They live in Sebastopol and ride Annadel a lot but are way faster than you and me through all those trails...

    If I ever learn his parenting secrets I'll be sure to share with you!

  12. #12
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    abecksted/Aaron and Captain Cobb, it looks like you guys have some hard core boys there! It sounds like you ride more frequently with with your kids than I do with my daughter. We should plan a kids ride. I can do this Saturday or next Saturday at Annadel and/or I could probably head up to Boggs in two weeks (ie Saturday, Sept 15). Let me know if any of these options work.

  13. #13
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    Hi Julie! Julie G right? That's cool you have a daughter. I would love it if I had one and she were into riding. I know I would have loved it when I was little, my parents, bless their hearts, are indoor people so now I'm making up for lost time.

    I'm pretty jealous of our friend Tony, his boys Luke (9) and Gianni (11) are obsessed with biking, road and dirt. They raced Annadel, Gianni got 4th, Luke maybe 6th, then Sunday raced a crit and the Fat Tire ladder crit at the SoCo bike expo. Animals. I don't know how or what Tony did, but the kids can't get enough of bicycles. They live in Sebastopol and ride Annadel a lot but are way faster than you and me through all those trails...

    If I ever learn his parenting secrets I'll be sure to share with you!
    Hi Christie, I see those boys around and they are fast! My daughter saw the brothers race each other downtown at our crit shindig and she was rooting for the 9-year old (of course because she is 9!!!!). Yes, please do pass along the any bike parenting secrets that you hear about, thanks!
    Julie B

  14. #14
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    We are out of town this weekend.

    Can ride sat 9/8 at annadel.

    9/15 at Boggs... bring her up

    Would prefer morning rides... kid has 5:30 baseball games on saturdays.

  15. #15
    Julie
    Reputation: protecthabitat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    We are out of town this weekend.

    Can ride sat 9/8 at annadel.

    9/15 at Boggs... bring her up

    Would prefer morning rides... kid has 5:30 baseball games on saturdays.
    Cool, let's stay in touch about 9/8 morning ride at Annadel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •