Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mt. Tam Dirt Fondo

Anyone planning on doing it? 10, 20, 32 or 45 miles of dirt from Sausalito up Mt. Tam.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mcbc-di...ts-11338976183

Looks like fun:

我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    I have volunteered the last few years then ridden course after. It's a great time. They are also doing a second one on the summer solstice this year out of Woodacre. I can't make that one but should also be great.

I will be out there for the Headlands version for sure. Check it out. Great cause, good people and a fun BBQ after.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    The description says it'll use Middle Green Gulch, but the map makes it look like the second-to-last climb is going to be up Coastal. Anyone know the truth to this? I'm seriously interested, but knowing that the Coastal climb is waiting towards the end would be a real demotivator.

I've done the whole route in pieces before, but never the whole thing together. Looks like it's time to start training...

mtbr member
    In years pasat it has always climbed up green gulch then to the top of coastal and down miwok. I'm sure that is still the case. Plenty support out there too. Mechanical, food, etc. Do it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    In years past it has always climbed up green gulch then to the top of coastal and down miwok. I'm sure that is still the case. Plenty support out there too. Mechanical, food, etc. Do it!
    You are correct, goes up MGG, not the fire road.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did the 1st Tam Fondo in September 2012, it cost ~ $70. Fun day on the bike, PB&Js at the top of the Deer Park climb were awesome, but I can't imagine shelling out that kind of money (cost is almost $100 now!) to ride local trails and fire roads.

Yes the route is fun/challenging and the support was decent but for a ride I could do any other day for free, I've never been able to convince myself it would be worth it to pay the cost of 2 new tires just to ride with a big group and have 3 aid stations....

$100 buys a lot of pints of Casey Jones at Iron Springs!

mtbr member
    Sup IrieRider? Good to meet you at Tamo Classic. If you want to do Fondo for free, check out volunteering options. Work registration in the AM then go ride! It's less about the swag and more about supporting MCBC. Not a for profit ride like a lot of the other "fondos" around the Bay.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ah I didn't think of the volunteering option, that's a pretty good call and a more fun way to support MCBC.

You going to be volunteering for helping with registration?

Hope to see you out on the trails!

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I've got a training question. I just got back from a ride in the headlands (from SF to Coyote Ridge via conzelman/bobcat/old springs/coastal and back via Miwok/Marincello/Coastal). About 30 miles and 4,200 feet of total elevation gain, a little over 3 hours total moving time with a two minute rest stop at the top of coyote ridge. The ride wasn't the absolute maximum that I can do, but I definitely felt some impending cramps when passing tourists on the GG bridge on the way home. I think I could have added a Diaz Ridge (downhill) to Middle Green Gulch, but that would have been close to bonk territory.

Does anyone have a training routine or recommendation for getting from here to being able to finish the 47 mile/7,000 foot loop? I've got a spin bike at home, can ride 1 or 2 times a weekend, and have a full light setup for night riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    I've got a training question. I just got back from a ride in the headlands (from SF to Coyote Ridge via conzelman/bobcat/old springs/coastal and back via Miwok/Marincello/Coastal). About 30 miles and 4,200 feet of total elevation gain, a little over 3 hours total moving time with a two minute rest stop at the top of coyote ridge. The ride wasn't the absolute maximum that I can do, but I definitely felt some impending cramps when passing tourists on the GG bridge on the way home. I think I could have added a Diaz Ridge (downhill) to Middle Green Gulch, but that would have been close to bonk territory.

Does anyone have a training routine or recommendation for getting from here to being able to finish the 47 mile/7,000 foot loop? I've got a spin bike at home, can ride 1 or 2 times a weekend, and have a full light setup for night riding.
    That's a great question! We'll have a few training rides leading up to the September 7 Dirt Fondo, stay tuned. That said, if you eat and drink at every rest stop and pace yourself you should be able to avoid cramps. Stretching and pre-ride and post-ride prep are key too. You're question has inspired us to provide more information on training, thanks!

mtbr member
    If you do same loop but drop from Coastal down to Muir (on Coastal) and come back up Diaz ridge, cross shoreline to Miwok and Miwok back to Tenn Valley, you will get another 1,000ish feet. If you can do that a few times over the course of summer you will be golden.

It sounds like you could do it right now with the support provided. Amazing how much propulsion comes from a crowd. Nice!

PM if want any more route suggestions or Strava links. I ride from city all the time and have lots of Headlands/Tam combo routes.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I'm good on the routes, just trying to figure out how to avoid the pesky simultaneous calf-hamstring-quad cramps when the climbing gets over 4,500 feet or so. Riding more seems like a good start.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I am working on pushing my endurance also, with the goal of doing longer and longer dirt rides and a road century or two later this year, and pushing the cramping point farther and farther out.

I find there is no substitute for time on the bike, and one good way to increase the time on the bike is to throw in a long road ride once every week or two. For me, road rides are usually easier on the joints but harder on the bigger muscles -- involving a steadier, lower-intensity effort that helps build base and core strength, and have helped me get to the point where 4-5 hours on the bike doesn't hurt. This is especially true when I pace myself. I often still start to cramp up in the calves at the end of a long ride if I have pushed it really hard, but when I focus on smoothness and efficiency of effort on a long ride (road rides are good training for that) it doesn't happen. Actually, the Miwok/Old Springs/Coastal-Coyote Ridge/Dias Ridge/Deer Park/Coastal/Middle Green Gulch/Miwok/Marincello/Bobcat route is like the mountain biking equivalent of a road ride, except all of the descents (aside from Bobcat) are of course much more fun.

About 6 month ago I had more of a cramping issue after longer mileage, but much less so now.

The other thing I have found that can help is steady nutrition and hydration, including before the ride, and using a drink mix while riding.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of doing this event. Never ridden the trails out that way. What is the climbing like (long sustained? short and punchy?)? 7000ft has me a little concerned.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I'm going to do this if the schedule allows. Most of the climbing is sustained. There is one long climb up the mountain on Deer Park to Pantoll then Old Stage and RR Grade, about 2000 ft total, in the middle of the ride. The first half on Deer Park is relatively steep (over 10% average) but it is mostly in the shade and not too bad. The second half of the main climb is easier, a more moderate grade. There also is a moderate climb up RR Grade, I think, after descending from the top on Eldridge, on the way back to the top of Coastal.

The other climbs are all shorter (less than 1000 ft) but relatively steep (maybe 10% average with some sharper pitches) in the headlands up Miwok, Coastal/Coyote Ridge, Middle Green Gulch, and Marincello. These are all wide fire roads with little or no shade, completely non-technical, except that Middle Green Gulch is narrower (and prettier) and has the steepest part of these.

Most of these would be boring exercise trails on their own terms but they are saved by the gorgeous scenery and setting and (usually) cool weather, and that there are some fun descents thrown in (Old Springs, Dias Ridge, Eldridge Grade (upper part), and Coast View from Pantoll). In fact, most of the descents on the planned route are good rides, except for the last two. (I don't understand why the official route descends Coastal/Coyote Ridge from the top of Middle Green Gulch, given that the bike-legal part of Miwok is nearby and ends in the same place.)

It is easy to get annoyed by some of the flow-removing trail "features" (water bars placed to slow you down, deliberately off-camber turns, decreasing-radius switchbacks with hidden dropoffs, etc.) and excessive manicuring of some of these trails, but they are still gorgeous.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Another nice point about this ride is that if it is too hot (like the Solstice Fondo) or you get tired out, it is easy to shorten the route at several points along the way.

mtbr member
    I will add that it is also a fund raiser for a great cause. I'll be volunteering at registration and will probably spin out to Muir when everyone is on their bikes and rolling. If you see me at check in say hello. Brown hair, heavily caffeinated. Eamonn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    J-Flo, Thanks for a great response to the question regarding climbs! Hope to see you again this year.

mtbr member
    I just signed up for this ride. It looks awesome. A question for locals/organizers: I will be dropped off at the start point on Sunday morning... any idea how long registration will take? Do most riders start off directly at 8 am? Will all the rest stops have energy bars and water?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    IN. My buddy and I just signed up tonight. Really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    There is no formal start time really. People show up, register and start spinning out when their friends are all there, often after bagel or whatever. If you are on early side reg takes 5 minutes. If you show up with a crowd it can take 15 minutes or so. Just a handful of volunteers handling registration so it's not a machine (but everyone does their best to keep it rolling). I'll be working reg. Say what's up. Probably a hoodie and beanie. Eamonn

The rest stops will have water and food till it runs out.

mtbr member
    Excellent. Sounds like it's going to be a blast. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden out that way before. Any suggestions on clothing for the ride? Is it pretty cool all day? Get hot in the pm? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The weather will be a game-time call. Last year the marine layer was in for most of the ride, and it stayed pleasantly cool. Unless we're having a spell like Labor Day, you can expect it to be cool on the coastal portions of ride, and warm and sunny on the upper Tam sections. No harm in bringing both arm warmers and sunscreen with you to the start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyjackalope View Post
    The weather will be a game-time call. Last year the marine layer was in for most of the ride, and it stayed pleasantly cool. Unless we're having a spell like Labor Day, you can expect it to be cool on the coastal portions of ride, and warm and sunny on the upper Tam sections. No harm in bringing both arm warmers and sunscreen with you to the start.
    Thanks Surlyjackalope. I was planning on bringing the arm and knee warmers as well as vest and maybe a cap for the cold. Always have the sunscreen on...hoping for a cool day weatherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast