Marin rider

Mt Tam - Connecting Old Stage to Coastal. What's the legal route??

I'm looking at a map of Mt Tam and thinking about riding along Old Stage fire road to Coastal trail. But it appears that from above Boot Jack parking lot through Pantoll to the beginning of Coastal is designated for foot traffic only save for the paved road section.

Is there a legal connector between those two mountain bike accessible routes?

Thank you.

(I'm less interested in people ranting here about trails being off-limits to bikes or suggestions to just ride an illegal section of trail. I'm hoping that folks will stay within the confines of the question posed.)

mtbr member
    Given our apparently shared love of IPA, it only seemed appropriate that I reply!

Yes, you can legally connect from Old Stage to Coastal Fire Road and/or to Coast View trail via the Pantoll parking lot. There is a legal connector - just head straight back through the parking lot, past the staging area and there you go. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    You are relegated to riding on the paved road above Boot Jack, crossing Panoramic Highway and cutting through the parking lot at Pantoll. But paved but it is all down hill and it takes less than 2 minutes, literally. It's like a 1/2 mile of pavement through a nice part of the mountain.....no worries.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Marin rider
    Grateful for both of your replies.

Rubber side down,
    IPADrinker