mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Mt Diablo riding guidance

I am new to riding Mt Diablo trails, I would be riding from southgate / athenian side.
    I looked at the trail map online but not sure which trails bikes are allowed on.

I am a beginner, don't mind climbing but I can't do too technical or too narrow, can you suggest some routes? Thanks..

enjoying the scenery
    On South Gate, Just as you round the corner by the cabin like house, the last house, and cross where the old gate was off to your left is a singletrack trail and large map station. This is a nice trail that leads to the DAN COOK trail. to the right, uphill, you climb at a solid pitch for a bit and then the going gets a bit easier onwards to Rock City. All legal trail. From Rock city, you can find the Summit trail (across from the Ranger house.) This trail climbs you way up past Junction. I like to cross over and descend the Green Valley Ranch Trail and return to Curry point. Or You find Juniper Campground, and follow the trail around the Mtn. to Deer Flat. This is all wide fire trail, just steep, steep up, steep down.

Legal:
    Dan Cook
    Wall Point
    BBQ Terrace
    Summit Trail (just not to the summit)
    Moses Rock
    Angel Kerley (Single track)
    Old Orchard (Single track)
    Green VAlley Ranch
    Burma Road (juuuuuust a bit steep.)
    The nasty bit below Devils Elbow
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danec99 View Post
    I like to cross over and descend the Green Valley Ranch Trail and return to Curry point.
    I think you mean Green Ranch Road looping back to Frog Pond > Curry....

not to be confused with Green Valley Trail which is at the bottom of Dan Cook and loops back over to White Gate...

Old Orchard? where is that?

The Angel Kerley ST I think is actually called Diablo Valley Ranch Trail...

Those are all great trails you mentioned....

Start out with Dan Cook To Rock City (as mentioned), If your toast come back down.

If you want more riding but less climbing, head to Wall Point, follow all the way until White Gate Exit (first split stay left) or continue a bit more until (second split stay left) Macedo Ranch. You will be close to where you started.

If you want more climbing then head up to Juniper (as mentioned), down Deer Flat (keep left) > Mothers Tr (left) > Angel Kerley (left) > Diablo Valley Ranch (right) > Buckeye Terrace (right or left depending how you got in or how much legs you have left) > Stage Road > Dusty Trail > Out To Macedo Ranch. You will be close to where you started and probably ready for a beer.

Get the newer Save Mt Diablo Trail Map. Save Mount Diablo

mtbr member
    Per usual, the locals have it pretty well dialed in....where to ride, when to ride, how to handle certain sections to get the best ride while minimizing the chances of a bad encounter with other trail users. There does seem to be a fair amount of angst among the equestrians and hikers/runners in re the MTBrs. I ride with locals and follow their lead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ride with a local to get the best experience. Feel free to pm.

mtbr member
    Also curious about Mt diablo but I am only looking for singletrack. Would like to avoid fireroads at all costs. Moved to walnut creek have only ridden shell ridge which is okay if you ride ridge trail. Lime ridge have hiked and looks ok as well if you ride illegal trails.

Usually ride skeggs, JMP, annadel, and Tahoe. Are there trails on Mt diablo that are nice single track like these other spots. I want to explore but if it's mainly fireroad with only a handfull of singletrack I'll pass and stick to hiking there with my dog. Not opposed to riding trails your really not supposed to, having hiked most of the WC area I never see anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scootdogss View Post
    Also curious about Mt diablo but I am only looking for singletrack. Would like to avoid fireroads at all costs. Moved to walnut creek have only ridden shell ridge which is okay if you ride ridge trail. Lime ridge have hiked and looks ok as well if you ride illegal trails.

Usually ride skeggs, JMP, annadel, and Tahoe. Are there trails on Mt diablo that are nice single track like these other spots. I want to explore but if it's mainly fireroad with only a handfull of singletrack I'll pass and stick to hiking there with my dog. Not opposed to riding trails your really not supposed to, having hiked most of the WC area I never see anyone.
    Diablo is large and spread out, your gonna be on fire road AT LEAST 50% of the time. If you do bring your dog stick to outer trails stay away from the central park....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Diablo is large and spread out, your gonna be on fire road AT LEAST 50% of the time. If you do bring your dog stick to outer trails stay away from the central park....
    Dogs are not allowed off of paved roads at MtD or any State Park for that matter. They will write you a ticket.

Almost impossible to do an all singletrack ride...and you would be pushing the bike a bit if you tried.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danec99 View Post
    On South Gate, Just as you round the corner by the cabin like house, the last house, and cross where the old gate was off to your left is a singletrack trail and large map station. This is a nice trail that leads to the DAN COOK trail. to the right, uphill, you climb at a solid pitch for a bit and then the going gets a bit easier onwards to Rock City. All legal trail. From Rock city, you can find the Summit trail (across from the Ranger house.) This trail climbs you way up past Junction. I like to cross over and descend the Green Valley Ranch Trail and return to Curry point. Or You find Juniper Campground, and follow the trail around the Mtn. to Deer Flat. This is all wide fire trail, just steep, steep up, steep down.

Legal:
    Dan Cook
    Wall Point
    BBQ Terrace
    Summit Trail (just not to the summit)
    Moses Rock
    Angel Kerley (Single track)
    Old Orchard (Single track)
    Green VAlley Ranch
    Burma Road (juuuuuust a bit steep.)
    The nasty bit below Devils Elbow
    How are the trail conditions now? Is it too muddy to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    How are the trail conditions now? Is it too muddy to ride?

All ride able for the most part now, some of the lower sections do stay wet longer...upper trails generally drain out quicker as there is less clay...Wall Point mostly sandstone holds up really well...Summit Trail from Dan Cook as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All ride able for the most part now, some of the lower sections do stay wet longer...upper trails generally drain out quicker as there is less clay...Wall Point mostly sandstone holds up really well...Summit Trail from Dan Cook as well...
    Thanks, RipRoar. That is good news, Not much rain in the forecast so conditions may get even better this week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I gave it a try from Macedo staging climbing wall point. There are 3 steep spots I have trouble getting up. I either lost traction in the front wheel or my pedals came unclipped. I tried standing or sitting but I was not able to make it all the way up without slipping, once unclipped I had to push the bike. Front end was quite uneasy.

It's like the great wall of china without the pavement..

What are your thoughts, I have a hardtail, nevegal tires (tubed) and 35 psi. But I don't have the budget to go tubeless or spend money.. I forgot to engage my lock out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Still speculation but the route makes sense. Starting point and finish line will be at Castle Staging area. 1 lap for short course and 2 laps for long course.

Bike Ride Profile | 9miles near Walnut Creek | Times and Records | Strava

PoorCyclist. You are correct, Wall Pt has 3 steep sections. But very doable. I suggest now that you the know the spots, hunker down and when climbing the steep spots, get in your climbing gear and move your body weight to the nose of the saddle. Look farther up the hill, pick a spot, and focus. Moving your body weight will keep traction on the rear and will keep that front end from wandering. Stay relaxed and smooth out your pedal stroke. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oops, I meant to put the race route into a different forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am riding this next time.. it should be easier so the wife can go too.

Instead of wall point go to stage rd to the west and come back via briones trail. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Diablo riding guidance-stagebriones.jpg  

It's about showing up.
    See thread entitled Diablo ride by BTCEB. One can bring a friend or SO who rides at a different level and know they will be well cared for.
    I don't rattle.

enjoying the scenery
    A classic route PC, should be some fun in the creeks. I never ride Wall Point all the way, too steep for my FA.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    PC, Definitely a good classic route. The trails are a little crusty right now from the cows but all very doable. Looks like we are going to have some nice riding weather. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One trail I have not heard mention is Curry Pt. to Oyster Pt....Oyster Pt. is about a 3 1/2 mile legal single track....excellent single track. But, the ride back is tough. Hang a left (north) on Old Finley Rd., left on Riggs Canyon Rd, and be prepared to push your bike up a stout hill. Throw your bike over the fence, ride out of the park for...3/4 ? of a mile, and get back into the park at Knobcone Pt. Rd....back to Curry Pt. YOU NEED A GOOD MAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Perry View Post
    One trail I have not heard mention is Curry Pt. to Oyster Pt....Oyster Pt. is about a 3 1/2 mile legal single track....excellent single track. But, the ride back is tough. Hang a left (north) on Old Finley Rd., left on Riggs Canyon Rd, and be prepared to push your bike up a stout hill. Throw your bike over the fence, ride out of the park for...3/4 ? of a mile, and get back into the park at Knobcone Pt. Rd....back to Curry Pt. YOU NEED A GOOD MAP!
    Thanks.. sounds fun to wind down after the wall point ascent.. is the downhill easy on oyster pt?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    Thanks.. sounds fun to wind down after the wall point ascent.. is the downhill easy on oyster pt?
    That route described is just as grueling if not more than climbing Wall Point..and probably double the mileage to get there and back. Riggs is one of the steepest climbs on Diablo ( I prefer climbing Old Finley). Overall Oyster Point is worth the effort as it is one of the funner single tracks on the mountain.

Optionally you can ride the pavement back, or start at Finley Rd Trail head and do an out and back on Oyster.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That route described is just as grueling if not more than climbing Wall Point..and probably double the mileage to get there and back. Riggs is one of the steepest climbs on Diablo ( I prefer climbing Old Finley). Overall Oyster Point is worth the effort as it is one of the funner single tracks on the mountain.

Optionally you can ride the pavement back, or start at Finley Rd Trail head and do an out and back on Oyster.....
    I will be riding the street back when I get to finley. Looks like rock city to finley is about (+1100/-1800ft) Well it's probably more difficult than it looks when I get to that.