Dirt Deviant

Mt Diablo Juniper to Finley Road????

I ride on Diablo alot. It's pretty much in my backyard and I have a Golden Poppy pass for the whole year, so park entry is free if we can find someone that wants to shuttle us up.
    My fav loop is from Juniper down to Mothers, Angel Kerley, Diablo Ranch, Buckeye down to Stage Road, up to Borges and loop around somewhere in the Shell Ridge/ Indian Valley areas.
    Sometimes we'll go down Summit Trail, Wallpoint or even BBQ and loop the later parts into Castle Rock.

What I'm thinking is adding on something a little different.

Like coming down Mothers/Diablo Ranch, back up the road to Curry Point and out to Oyster Point to Finley Road.

I've done some searching on here, and read alot obout Oyster ST, which sounds great.

How would it be going from Curry down to Oyster? Any substantial climbs?

Whats the best route from Curry to Oyster?
    I've read there is a small section of private land.
    Is there a good way to navigate around this? Or will we lose a cool section if we do so?

I figure it's a good time of year to get this ride in. Will bring a camera for sure.

Any help is appreciated guys!!!!!

BTW, not being lazy here, I have searched alot.......but most of the info I found involves starting at Finley and there seems to be some conflicting info on the section of private land.

Also, we are getting dropped off at the top and will have a car at Finley. Lazy, yea, fun absolutely!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Check and see if anyone posted a plot of last year's 10K ride on Diablo.

I have been doing something similar, starting up Mitchell to Juniper, down Burma, Mothers, Diablo Ranch, Buckeye, etc. Thinking of from there going back up BBQ, over to Curry and down Oyster. Problem is that there is no great way back to the other side as there is a lot of private property. I need to get the map out next weekend and see if there is a good way back around that would incorporate some trail and some on Morgan Territory Rd back to the other side, but it would have to be enough dirt to make it fun on an MTB.

mtbr member
    From Curry the Knobcone trail intersects in two place. The first turn off for Knobcone will take you through some private land and run into Black Hawk Ridge which will take you to the top Oyster. The other option it pass the first turn to Knobcone, continue on Curry until it dead ends into Knobcone. Then Knobcone the Black Hawk to top of Oyster Pt.

Oyster Pt. is a rockin fun singletrack with some gut bomb short burst climbs out of stream beds and killer long flowy downs.

To return you can about face and ride right back up Oyster. This entirely avoid private property. Or you can head up Riggs Canyon to the Knobcone and choose how you want to get back to Curry.

Regarding the private land, I don't know if they provide a "legal right to pass" for park users but that's always been my impression. I start and end at Finley Rd cruising through the private portion on Riggs Canyon and have never had an issue. Last week I ran into who I believed to be the owner or caretaker in his truck. Stopped to chat with him as he was baiting his pig traps (very nice and welcoming, told me to have fun).

Here's a Finley start and finish, but gives you some idea.

http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_sta...r-point-gpx-t0
    Last edited by ebeer; 03-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not sure if this helps but here's one of my garmins.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19696311

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think I remember seeing a connector from Oyster point to Rhine Canyon. If you take rhine canyon it will lead you to a fire road that connects you up to where devil's ends. I've only done this a couple of times but in the opposite direction. I'm not sure where finley rd is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here is my garmin for Rhine Canyon.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12821362

Dirt Deviant
    Awesome.......thanx guys.

EBrider, I only hope that someday I am in good enough shape to pull off a ride like that. It will come, but will take me awhile.
    It's been a long time since I rode up Mitchell, and I didn't make it up to the top. That was about 17 years ago.......= )

Ebeer, which was would you say is the better route?
    Take the first Knobcone, or bypass it and hit the second one?
    What are the tradeoffs of each way?
    Does one have more climbing?
    Does one have cooler trails/obstacles?

I prefer to avoid hike a bikes if at all possible. I'm not in the best shape, but am getting better.
    For a reference, my average ride is about 12-15 miles with around 1400' climbing. Most I have done is about 2300' over 14 miles and that damn near killed me. I'm OK with the distance, but the hills have a way of making my uber clydesdale self feel the effects of gravity a bit more than the average joe.......hehehe
    1000-1500' climbing is about my sweet spot.

Our rides have been on the short side lately, since the connector from stage road to borges area has been pretty mucky, we have been avoiding it and exiting through castle rock park and riding home past Northgate HS.

Manual, thanx for the GPS track....it is very helpful. Ohh, that Rhine Canyon loop looks like a killer.....nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Awesome.......thanx guys.

EBrider, I only hope that someday I am in good enough shape to pull off a ride like that. It will come, but will take me awhile.
    It's been a long time since I rode up Mitchell, and I didn't make it up to the top. That was about 17 years ago.......= )

Ebeer, which was would you say is the better route?
    Take the first Knobcone, or bypass it and hit the second one?
    What are the tradeoffs of each way?
    Does one have more climbing?
    Does one have cooler trails/obstacles?

I prefer to avoid hike a bikes if at all possible. I'm not in the best shape, but am getting better.
    For a reference, my average ride is about 12-15 miles with around 1400' climbing. Most I have done is about 2300' over 14 miles and that damn near killed me. I'm OK with the distance, but the hills have a way of making my uber clydesdale self feel the effects of gravity a bit more than the average joe.......hehehe
    1000-1500' climbing is about my sweet spot.

Our rides have been on the short side lately, since the connector from stage road to borges area has been pretty mucky, we have been avoiding it and exiting through castle rock park and riding home past Northgate HS.

Manual, thanx for the GPS track....it is very helpful. Ohh, that Rhine Canyon loop looks like a killer.....nice.
    If you can't climb Mitchell I am not sure you have any business heading out on Oyster...there is plenty of climbing to get to it and on the trail itself. The Oyster "trail" is really only a singletrack about 30-40% of the time, the rest of it is an old ranch road and all the other "trails" around there are 10ft wide fireroads.
    Romani ite domum

Dirt Deviant
    Well, we did the ride today.
    Started at Juniper where we got dropped off. Went down to Mothers, Angel Kerley, Diablo Ranch, the rode up the road (boring) to the Junction. Then we went down Summit Trail to Curry Point, Knobcone, Blackhawk Ridge to Oyster Point the popped out on Finley Road where we had a van pre parked.......= )
    It was a fun ride.
    Oyster Point does have some gut busters. I walked a few short sections. The trail was kinda hammered with ruts and cow chunkage.
    I tiny bit of mud in the shady areas.
    But alll in all it was a blast.
    Thanx to the dude in the 420 kit who helped us with a good description of the trail conditions.
    Here is the Garmin data.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28207072

Not too bad for a fat guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Savagemann,
    Almost left a note on the van for you guys when I was heading by the cars.
    Nice ride you guys did.
    After giving you the directions I was thinking I should have told you when to know you hit the top on the singletrack. Glad to hear the directions helped.

There is a great way to loop the bottom of finley back to diablo, by going left at the bottom and climbing back east, then heading north along the ridgeline back to curry point.
    Give it a little while to work out the cow damage and the trails are all rideable and ripping.
    There is another epic loop out towards the south of finley, up to the radio towers.

Enjoy the riding, look for you all next time out.

420 Rocks the Devil!
    Captnagro

Dirt Deviant
    Awesome!!!!!
    Thanx Captn.
    Yea, the trails were great, but I didn't even bother trying to ride up the part that the cows tore up. It was so damn chunky!!!
    It was an awesome day to be out riding!!!
    Thanx again for the killer directions and trail description. It really helped alot.
    There was a bit more climbing than I had anticipated from looking at the map.
    But the fun bits were all worth the pain........= )
    Cya out there!