sftrydr

MROSD Upcoming Vision Plan Meetings.

Openspace.org - Plans and Projects - Imagine the Future of Open Space - CAC Meeting Schedule

Want more info on dirt Alpine rd closure?
    Plans for Mt Umunum trails?
    When will La Honda Creek -Driscoll Ranch see trails that are accessible for pedalers?
    Will Mt Bike riders be held to a (higher?) standard of exclusion that even motor vehicles meet?(Mindego Hill)
    What is the actual breakdown in shared trails statistics in reference to mt bikes access?MROSD claims 60% of their trails are open to M/U ....

MROSD seeks input from stakeholders on future lands policy decisions.

The public is invited to attend upcoming meetings of the Vision Plan Community Advisory Committee (CAC).

Appointed CAC members-- representing the seven District wards, major stakeholder groups consisting of Agriculture, Rural Communities, Urban Communities, Environment/Open Space, Trails/Recreation, Education, Public Safety, and other interests-- will participate as an important component of the overall strategy to meaningfully engage the public in the planning process and build support for the District.

All mtngs same time+location-

March 6, 2013
    6 - 9 p.m.
    Pineapple Grill
    4926 El Camino Real
    Los Altos 94022

April 17, 2013
    June 19, 2013
    September 18, 2013
    October 16, 2013
    January 29, 2014
    March 19, 2014

It's about showing up.
    What approach will ROMP recommend?
    I don't rattle.

Team Chilidog!
    There was someone who posted earlier about wanting increased access. He should go. We need that type of energy.

Not sure what ROMP's plans are.. haven't seen them do much lately. Their website looks like it was last updated early February, kinda surprised this wasn't on it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    There was someone who posted earlier about wanting increased access. He should go. We need that type of energy.

Not sure what ROMP's plans are.. haven't seen them do much lately. Their website looks like it was last updated early February, kinda surprised this wasn't on it.
    FWIW there is some internal chatter at ROMP RE the CAC and ROMP representation at the meetings.

Sorcerer could you jump in here and say something about that daytime session on Thursday that nobody else seems to be able to find? Was that an invitation-only thing? Or has it been canceled??
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

(aka "grace")
    @ssulljm, thanks for posting.
    @stripes and mm - it's complicated, and as pl mentioned we're discussing it. thanks for your support.
    on the one hand it's important to have mtb input into a major midpen planning effort. on the other I'm (personally) finding it difficult to get a sense of the scope and intentions of their vision process.
    anyone with interest and enthusiasm about it is welcome to contact me directly at president at romp.org, --Linda

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mrosd has no vision. negotiating with these people has never worked in the past, it will not work in the future. these are elected officials. the only option is to vote against every board member until they are out of office or get the picture that they need to serve the actual userbase of the parks system.

It's about showing up.
    Thanks Linda. Input is wanted but no real target given; sounds about right. I look forward to more clarity for you.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sounds about right for midpen. It's just smoke and mirrors to make mtb'ers feel like they're involved. The EPA and BLM does that all the time with the moto riders...it got so bad some officials were scared to show up at public meetings without bullet proof vests.

If you really want to make change in midpen besides voting those crusty dodgers out...GO POACH SINGLETRACK. Civil disobedience has done great things for society in the past.

sftrydr
    Thanx for the responses.
    Our, (mb riders), interaction w mrosd up until now has essentially been reactive.
    Which do you prefer,proactive or reactive?
    Those of us that live close by, ride frequently within mrosd's jurisdiction should seriously consider attending each+every one of these mtngs.
    W/O pedalers there to interject , the steamroll of trails closures-false assurances of future mb friendly trails x mrosd will continue unabated.
    These are your lands+trails folks, you've paid for them via taxes every year you've rented or owned your home.

It's about showing up.
    Bike Hall of Famer Michael Kelly, Founder of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay in 1986 and, therefore, and an originator of IMBA says this:

"As long as you are at the table they can't say bad things about you and get away with it."
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    "As long as you are at the table they can't say bad things about you and get away with it."
    Except they have and will continue to do so. Obviously this guy never met anyone from Midpen.

Is now still the time?
    Hi Folks,

For some reason, perhaps my experience, the MROSD asked me if I would participate, and I agreed to. As it turns out, the schedule they created was incompatible with my work schedule. There are a handful of important weekday day-long tours and things they called "conversations", which I surmise would be mobile field meetings, that I could not attend without neglecting my duty. I had to turn this opportunity down, and not just for the calendar conflict, which is the excuse I gave them. The other part is that the vision volunteers, or Community Advisory Group members, accept (as I understood it) an informal duty to act as 2-way informational distributors between the MROSD and their stakeholder groups. Given my experience I could see that I would sometimes end up serving as a mouthpiece (in both directions) for things I don't personally find valid. I had intimate experience with this sort of thing with Coe. Yes, it's politics.

Towards the end of my Coe park volunteer-ship the contradictions and poor practices (some of these my own) became untenable, and I found myself wishing to speak out and protest in ways that in a former time I would not have considered, and have kept most of this to myself. Hence, when I look at the MROSD, as deeply appreciative as I am for their work, and as grateful as I am for the always positive personal relations I have had with staff and the sometimes positive outcomes in planning (particularly with ECdM OSP), I felt that I would probably become a curmudgeon for the mtb side of things and cloud the pond more, and waste a lot of my personal time.

These experiences have chastened me. I employed patience, and I reached my limit. I can no longer abide. The saga of Bill's Trail in Samuel P. Taylor SP is a good, or shall I more accurately say poor, and well known example of what I am talking about. Coe's Dowdy Ranch is similar. Gilroy Hot Springs is another example. The DPR budget scandal is a large manufactured insanity as well. Money and effort is wasted.

I've come out the other side of these affairs satisfied with my engagement and small accomplishments, and with a certain expectation that things for mountain biking will change just slightly for the better in a few years, and where, if I am still able, I might rejoin the humble ranks of the volunteers. The volunteers are good, and I have a great respect for them. They abide. Good intentions are not enough. But there are bad things coming too, that will off-set the good.

Here's a dog trick: Place a slice of meat on a dog's nose and train it to not eat until the command to go ahead and eat it is given. Is the dog being good as he waits for the command to go ahead and eat? Patience has limits.

Surely another advocate will stand in our place? Someone young, educated, charming, idealistic, optimistic, charismatic, patient, obedient, and undefeated?

Japanese Proverb: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

MTB Proverb: The nail that sticks out will give Stan's a run for the money.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Hi Folks,

For some reason, perhaps my experience, the MROSD asked me if I would participate, and I agreed to. As it turns out, the schedule they created was incompatible with my work schedule. There are a handful of important weekday day-long tours and things they called "conversations", which I surmise would be mobile field meetings, that I could not attend without neglecting my duty. I had to turn this opportunity down, and not just for the calendar conflict, which is the excuse I gave them. The other part is that the vision volunteers, or Community Advisory Group members, accept (as I understood it) an informal duty to act as 2-way informational distributors between the MROSD and their stakeholder groups. Given my experience I could see that I would sometimes end up serving as a mouthpiece (in both directions) for things I don't personally find valid. I had intimate experience with this sort of thing with Coe. Yes, it's politics.

Towards the end of my Coe park volunteer-ship the contradictions and poor practices (some of these my own) became untenable, and I found myself wishing to speak out and protest in ways that in a former time I would not have considered, and have kept most of this to myself. Hence, when I look at the MROSD, as deeply appreciative as I am for their work, and as grateful as I am for the always positive personal relations I have had with staff and the sometimes positive outcomes in planning (particularly with ECdM OSP), I felt that I would probably become a curmudgeon for the mtb side of things and cloud the pond more, and waste a lot of my personal time.

These experiences have chastened me. I employed patience, and I reached my limit. I can no longer abide. The saga of Bill's Trail in Samuel P. Taylor SP is a good, or shall I more accurately say poor, and well known example of what I am talking about. Coe's Dowdy Ranch is similar. Gilroy Hot Springs is another example. The DPR budget scandal is a large manufactured insanity as well. Money and effort is wasted.

I've come out the other side of these affairs satisfied with my engagement and small accomplishments, and with a certain expectation that things for mountain biking will change just slightly for the better in a few years, and where, if I am still able, I might rejoin the humble ranks of the volunteers. The volunteers are good, and I have a great respect for them. They abide. Good intentions are not enough. But there are bad things coming too, that will off-set the good.

Here's a dog trick: Place a slice of meat on a dog's nose and train it to not eat until the command to go ahead and eat it is given. Is the dog being good as he waits for the command to go ahead and eat? Patience has limits.

Surely another advocate will stand in our place? Someone young, educated, charming, idealistic, optimistic, charismatic, patient, obedient, and undefeated?

Japanese Proverb: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

MTB Proverb: The nail that sticks out will give Stan's a run for the money.
    Well put and thanks for all the work that you did. I can't believe you made it as long as you did with these folk. The dude abide's and you deserve a white russian. If you have some energy for building more trail without politics I got a good project in the LG area you can help out on. I can guarantee there won't be anyone to tell you the slope needs to be 5%.

It's about showing up.
    Being a go-between amidst factions, over which one has no control, and managing one's own predilections eventually becomes only friction that rubs one raw.

The community has been fortunate to have you at the table as long as we have. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 03-27-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    I don't rattle.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Do not forget to sign up:

Imagine the Future of Open Space by MindMixer

Is now still the time?
    After preserving 59,000 acres, Midpeninsula open-space district faces a funding shortage - San Jose Mercury News

One of the main reasons for the released public relations charm offensive by the MROSD is future funding. The district has decided it not only needs to retain funding, but increase it, due to the promise of new lands coming into public access.

Mountain bike interests need to be at the table. I am sorry, but that person is not me right now.
    SOrCerer

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think we should run an anti-funding and anti-board campaign. there has been too much purchasing and not enough opening. instead they pay rangers to keep people out after dark and write speeding tickets to cyclists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    I think we should run an anti-funding and anti-board campaign. there has been too much purchasing and not enough opening. instead they pay rangers to keep people out after dark and write speeding tickets to cyclists.
    This is truer than true. If the public actually knew where all their money went they wouldn't be to keen on giving them any more. Maybe we should start putting up signs at all the local trailheads (especially midpen ones) calling them out. If they actually built trail and increased access to more than the current 5% of sierra azul I would gladly hand over my cash.

Paper or plastic?
    I think I've seen this before.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    This is truer than true. If the public actually knew where all their money went they wouldn't be to keen on giving them any more. Maybe we should start putting up signs at all the local trailheads (especially midpen ones) calling them out. If they actually built trail and increased access to more than the current 5% of sierra azul I would gladly hand over my cash.

How does MidPen get cash? It is from property taxes right? Are there other avenues as well? I would really support a lawsuit to get some of my prop tax dollars away from Midpen, unless we get better representative trail usage.

We need to call on our many hundreds of roadie lawyers in the bay area to launch an attack on this once and for all.

Even a demand of how dollars are spent towards new bike trails as a % of trail usage demographic. All we see are dollars spent on new trucks, atv, motos, radar guns and of course, headcount and office expenses...

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    How does MidPen get cash? It is from property taxes right? Are there other avenues as well? I would really support a lawsuit to get some of my prop tax dollars away from Midpen, unless we get better representative trail usage.

We need to call on our many hundreds of roadie lawyers in the bay area to launch an attack on this once and for all.

Even a demand of how dollars are spent towards new bike trails as a % of trail usage demographic. All we see are dollars spent on new trucks, atv, motos, radar guns and of course, headcount and office expenses...
    I'm no lawyer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I doubt that a lawsuit would solve anything. I assume that they get their funding from property tax and that at some point, they'll put an initiative on the ballot to raise more money. And they'll need 2/3 of voters to approve it. That's really the biggest leverage we got.

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I'm no lawyer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I doubt that a lawsuit would solve anything. I assume that they get their funding from property tax and that at some point, they'll put an initiative on the ballot to raise more money. And they'll need 2/3 of voters to approve it. That's really the biggest leverage we got.
    Beg to differ on the lawsuit front mon frere. If nothing more than just level the amount of money spent on trails/parks for hikers/bikers/horses. Horse usage is like 0.00001% and yet there are 8+ parks that are horse hiker only, no bikes...

A few sources of funding, including prop tax.
    Check out the 11% increase y/y on salaries and benefits... Check out the salary levels. Must be nice.
    http://www.openspace.org/CGI-BIN/age...14_r-13-37.pdf

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Beg to differ on the lawsuit front mon frere. If nothing more than just level the amount of money spent on trails/parks for hikers/bikers/horses. Horse usage is like 0.00001% and yet there are 8+ parks that are horse hiker only, no bikes...

A few sources of funding, including prop tax.
    Check out the 11% increase y/y on salaries and benefits... Check out the salary levels. Must be nice.
    http://www.openspace.org/CGI-BIN/age...14_r-13-37.pdf
    Aren't most rangers LEO? I don't really get that since LEO usually make way more than a non gun totting open space ranger.

If you really want to know how much people make at Midpen: Bay Area Public Employee Salaries 2010 - San Jose Mercury News Interestingly enough, they have not provided their salaries for 2011.
    Last edited by zorg; 03-28-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Aren't most rangers LEO? I don't really get that since LEO usually make way more than a non gun totting open space ranger.
    Those are just hr wages. We don't know the OT on top of that.

Most LEOs make a bunch more in OT.

OK, I'm gonna stay OT now. Sorry.

Paper or plastic?
    Check the database for your answers.