Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moving from Italy to Vacaville, any singlespeeder?

Hi, I'm Matt and I'll move from Italy to Vacaville in 10 days (more or less), is there any singlespeeder in the area?

I'll take my bike with me but I'm a little bit out of shape, so I'm looking for a group to restart cycling (even on road, but I've to buy a bike first), I'll grab my geared 29er, but I love to ride SS and I'll be in Alaska for SSWC2014

I've contacted some cycling groups in the area but never answered to my mail/messages...

Ciao!

Lightly salted
    There is Lagoon valley in Vacaville which has some nice xc single track mostly open hills. Good place to strength train, but some of those hills might be tough on a single speed. Rockville in Fairfield is all single speed friendly and has some good technical sections. A mix of open and oak tree wooded trails. Small park, with a little bit of everything. Next closest trails would be Skyline in Napa. It's probably the nicest park out of the 3 for mileage and varied trails. Should be good on a single speed also. There's also plenty of road riding in the area, but I'm not a road biker so I have no advice there. Those are the 3 closest parks to Vacaville, there are also a lot of options with in around an hours drive, Auburn ASRA, Annadel in Santa Rosa, China Camp and Tamorancho in Marin county. Rays cycles in Vacaville is a great shop, they can give you some suggestions for some good road routes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The SSWC was held at Skyline in 2008, I went there with some buddies on SS'S .We rode around some and cheered,jeered the racers. The fast guys and gals did three laps.It was a fun day.

mtbr member
    From Italia to Vaca. That's a new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks for the tip

Tapatalk from iPhone

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Not unless he's in the USAF.

Yeah, loads of singlespeeders here in the inner and outer Bay Area. I ride singlespeed, at least some of the time.

mtbr member
    I ride at Lagoon Valley a lot as I work in Vacaville. Lunch breaks and after work rides. With a single speed limit yourself to the main gravel road up at first and even that is pretty steep. A lot of the climbs are steep. North and easy of town there are a ton of road rides. Pleasants Valley Rd out to Lake Berryessa is great. Mix and/or Gates Canyon Road if you want a big road climb. I don't ride on the road but know these are popular areas near Vacaville.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Serious. Talk about culture shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Serious. Talk about culture shock.
    Food too..

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
    The not so good news - you're in Vacaville.
    Amen to that.

If you have the options, nearby Davis or Winters are really nice. Even less mtn biking, but they are both far better places to live.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Wow. You're in for a shock. Where in Italy?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Is Vacaville anything like Walnut Creek?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Amen to that.

If you have the options, nearby Davis or Winters are really nice. Even less mtn biking, but they are both far better places to live.
    I grew up in Vacaville when I was very young and we moved to Fairfield when I was 9. I attended Solano Community College in Fairfield after High School and then onto UC Davis. I now live in he Natomas area of Sacramento and work in Vacaville. I am pretty familiar with the area.

Everyone's opinion will differ and where to live is based upon a very wide range of preferences that are important to each individual. I would pick Davis over Vacaville, but not Winters. There is just not much appeal to me in Winters.

If the list of Cities in this area to choose from are as follows: Fairfield, Vacaville, Dixon, Davis, and Winters then my personal preference would be:

1. Davis - Great college town, super friendly people, VERY bike friendly. I loved it when I was in school there (2001-2003). Drive to Auburn, Lagoon Valley, Rockville, Skyline for MTB riding.
    2. Vacaville - Nice town, not run down like east side of Fairfield, nice restaurants moving in almost daily. A bit of a drive to Auburn (1hr+), Lagoon Valley local trails, Rockville is close, and Skyline is 30mins for MTB riding.
    3. Dixon - Small town, I really dont know much about it. Between Vacaville and Davis, but smaller than both.
    4. Fairfield (only on the west side of I-80, I would never live on the east side). A city divided by a freeway in my mind. Lagoon Valley and Rockville local. 20ish min to Skyline. 1hr 15min to Auburn for MTB riding.
    5. Winters - Small town, not on I-80 if that matters. Close to Lake Berryessa, 15-20min north of Vacaville/Dixon. In fact the town is not really on I-505 either. Drive to all mountain bike locations mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Well I don't think it is nearly as nice, but they are trying. Vacaville is tucked against the Blue Ridge Mountains which run along the west side of town. I would say that it can be a scenic town on that side. The east side of town is flat and was all previously agricultural fields.

Weather will be more like the Central Valley in Vacaville, baking hot summer heat. It is not like the more temperate Bay Area weather.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The drunk bros in Walnut creek drink better beer and drive newer lifted SUVs.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucdengboss View Post
    I grew up in Vacaville when I was very young and we moved to Fairfield when I was 9. I attended Solano Community College in Fairfield after High School and then onto UC Davis. I now live in he Natomas area of Sacramento and work in Vacaville. I am pretty familiar with the area.

Everyone's opinion will differ and where to live is based upon a very wide range of preferences that are important to each individual. I would pick Davis over Vacaville, but not Winters. There is just not much appeal to me in Winters.

If the list of Cities in this area to choose from are as follows: Fairfield, Vacaville, Dixon, Davis, and Winters then my personal preference would be:

1. Davis - Great college town, super friendly people, VERY bike friendly. I loved it when I was in school there (2001-2003). Drive to Auburn, Lagoon Valley, Rockville, Skyline for MTB riding.
    2. Vacaville - Nice town, not run down like east side of Fairfield, nice restaurants moving in almost daily. A bit of a drive to Auburn (1hr+), Lagoon Valley local trails, Rockville is close, and Skyline is 30mins for MTB riding.
    3. Dixon - Small town, I really dont know much about it. Between Vacaville and Davis, but smaller than both.
    4. Fairfield (only on the west side of I-80, I would never live on the east side). A city divided by a freeway in my mind. Lagoon Valley and Rockville local. 20ish min to Skyline. 1hr 15min to Auburn for MTB riding.
    5. Winters - Small town, not on I-80 if that matters. Close to Lake Berryessa, 15-20min north of Vacaville/Dixon. In fact the town is not really on I-505 either. Drive to all mountain bike locations mentioned above.

Nice summary. I have family that lives or has previously lived in Fairfield. On both sides of the freeway. I'd rather live in Winters, honestly.

That said, Winters has Berryessa Brewing. That's a pretty solid plus in my book!

But I'm with you - Davis for #1 choice.

mtbr member
    That said, Winters has Berryessa Brewing. That's a pretty solid plus in my book!
    Heritic Brewing is now in Fairfield, good stuff if you ever get a chance grab a bottle.

mtbr member

Heritic Brewing is now in Fairfield, good stuff if you ever get a chance grab a bottle.
    But the rest of Fairfield is an armpit. I'd almost rather live in Bakersfield.

Winters is awesome, small town America. They have an excellent brewery, a couple of top notch restaurants and one great bike shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    uuuhhhmmmm....Italy.....to......huh?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Moving from Italy to Vacaville, any singlespeeder?

Why all the cowtown hate? You got the nut tree, the coffee tree, the WOOZ . My vote for best local restaurant is Milk Farm. It's a little far up in Dixon but worth the drive. Just get in the car and go.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    You got the nut tree, the coffee tree, the WOOZ .
    Wow. He went with the Wooz FTW!
    Hasn't that place been gone for about 20 years? It would have been fun with Strava.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Wow. He went with the Wooz FTW!
    Hasn't that place been gone for about 20 years? It would have been fun with Strava.
    I think they built some new pit stop there and reopened. I remember the old one well as it was the only place to stop in the day.

Hi.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of either Heretic or Fairfield! I'm pretty well-versed in Heretic's beers, but they're on the low end compared to some other regional offerings. Berryessa is a lot better - check it out!

mtbr member
    Berryessa is a lot better - check it out!
    Berryessa Double Tap...so under the radar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast