Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?

Why don't California mountain lions attack trail riders more often?

Certainly cougars are formidable animals, and they have been known to attack children, lone adults, and stranded cyclists (hunched over performing repairs, for example).

And certainly these swift panthers love fleeing prey, which a cyclist would seem to be to them, particularly those that follow a predictable pathway which has overhangs galore for the cougar to pounce from.

And running into a litter of kittens would certainly seem to evoke ire from the mother puma, something that I'd not want to do under any circumstances.

At certain stages of their lives the cubs eventually become adolescents who are then fated to be transients, where we can run into them as they explore new ranges at the same time that we are exploring those same new areas.

Given that these american lions hunt during the exact same early morning and late evening hours that many of us ride, I wonder why California mountain lions don't attack us more often?

I realize we're not their "normal" prey, yet, we seem to fit almost all the patterns of their prey. Certainly they see us well before we will ever see them, particularly since we're not looking, and yet, even if we were, they're more stealthy than we can ever be out there on the trails.

So, I'm curious if someone has a good answer to the basic question of why there aren't far more mountain lion attacks than actually exist?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Through thousands of years of evolution, they've learned one thing very, very well...

- If they attack a human, they are DEAD!.

Humans make it known that we are the #1 predator and cougars have learned that for their survival. They live all around us but you can't even see em.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Also, they've evolved with deer--well before there were people on the continent. Deer, especially old and young, are fairly easy for them to take down and dispatch. Just like with sharks, it's not in their best interest to get into a fight with their prey (like us) where an injury could make them unable to hunt. Also, a lot of us are malodorous. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-24-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ... Also, a lot of us are malodorous..

Hey, speak for yourself. I only TASTE bad

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ And there's that!

If mountain lions liked the taste of people our parks would be littered with carbon parts and hiking poles.

VV Skunks are truly badass.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    We're big and they don't want to risk getting hurt. Still freaks me out to be deep in the park after sunset alone. I'm more worried about skunks though. They tend not to run when you encounter them on single tracks. Have had a couple close calls.

I just wanna go fast!
    They know we're all carrying mountain lion knives.

Dusting Trails
    Mountain Lions are primarily nocturnal and are most active between dusk to dawn, which is one reason why mtb riders rarely see them. Now if you ride a lot at night, your chances of running into one increases...
    Life is short - enjoy the ride!

Just here for the scenery
    I'd suggest that either the sight or the sound of the bike skeeves them out and gives them pause... except that they hardly attack joggers or hikers either, at least relative to the number of opportunities they have.

Dream it, Do it.
    Also, a lot of us are malodorous. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    ha ha!
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    We're more crunchy than chewy!

But, in all seriousness, danger from mountain lions does increase as they become habituated to humans. Orange County, CA seems to have a bit of trouble with this as big new housing developments are being built in the foothills. One cyclist was killed and partially eaten in 2004: Mauled Man May Have Been Fixing Bike - latimes
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    These animals are more intelligent than we give credit and innately know what their dinner is. Almost without exception animal on human attacks are by old/injured/sick animals in an opportune moment. An exception here would be a bear with cubs, but most survive this type of mauling.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    These animals are more intelligent than we give credit and innately know what their dinner is. Almost without exception animal on human attacks are by old/injured/sick animals in an opportune moment. An exception here would be a bear with cubs, but most survive this type of mauling.
    Yup. It is really amazing that as we take away their territory and their roaming routes, that they still thrive and survive. They avoid all interaction with us cause they know the result of that.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    My hub sounds like a nest of rattlesnakes. I also tend to whoop and holler after dark, because it can't hurt.

Formerly dvo
    Some good info here....The Bay Area Puma Project | BAPP

and here....Santa Cruz Pumas
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    "Yup. It is really amazing that as we take away their territory and their roaming routes, that they still thrive and survive. They avoid all interaction with us cause they know the result of that."

Just like Big Foot!! 😀

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    But, in all seriousness, danger from mountain lions does increase as they become habituated to humans. Orange County, CA seems to have a bit of trouble with this as big new housing developments are being built in the foothills. One cyclist was killed and partially eaten in 2004: Mauled Man May Have Been Fixing Bike - latimes
    I always try to counter that version. I was living in OC at the time of the "attack" and have ridden the trail where the it happened.

Mark was a very good rider, a racer in fact. He wouldn't have stopped on that section (very narrow downhill) to fix his chain. The autopsy showed no damage to his neck, as would have been expected in a typical attack. The prevailing theory was that he had a heart attack and crashed, causing his chain to come off. The lion then scavenged him.

Mountain lions are common in that area and, interestingly enough, it's right next to the only legal--and very popular--nightriding area in OC. It says a lot that there haven't been any other incidents.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-24-2017 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have you freakin smelled a mtb rider?? We is sweating up a storm in our baggies, armor and then blast around in dirt. There's a reason my wife calls me PigPen after I ride
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    They are waiting for tree hugging hikers to come by. Easier to catch, and they tend to be soft and tender, not tough and hard to chew like mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Pussies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey man, whos side are you on

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Hey, speak for yourself. I only TASTE bad
    And I only have bad taste. Or so I'm told. Frequently.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I always try to counter that version. I was living in OC at the time of the "attack" and have ridden the trail where the it happened.

Mark was a very good rider, a racer in fact. He wouldn't have stopped on that section (very narrow downhill) to fix his chain. The autopsy showed no damage to his neck, as would have been expected in a typical attack. The prevailing theory was that he had a heart attack and crashed, causing his chain to come off. The lion then scavenged him.

Mountain lions are common in that area and, interestingly enough, it's right next to the only legal--and very popular--nightriding area in OC. It says a lot that there haven't been any other incidents.
    Good knowledge Dirtvert!! Good account of what happened.

I like what you said about deer too. That is their meal ticket. When we run out of deer, then there's an issue. That's how a lot of cases occurred in Victoria Island a couple decades ago. The grass died, the deer died and the cougar starved.

If you're a pygmy goat on a ranch up on Bonny Doon however, that's another story. Or an outdoor pet sleeping by your lonesome near the woods... all night.

Cool that when we talk of attacks, we refer wayyy back to the Socal case more than a decade ago even though we bike in their territory now every day and night.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If I ever see a mountain lion again, I'm going to catch it and teach it to play the drums. It's hard to find a good drummer who isn't totally flaky and I think a mountain lion drummer would be a big draw for concerts and parties and stuff.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Dream it, Do it.
    Yes, one thing that I've learned in my years on this Earth is not to mess with mothers of any species with cubs...haha. We had an encounter with a mother raccoon in Irvine, CA with 4 kits under her care in the landscaped area in front of the door to our apartment. Good thing we were separated through our open door by a baby gate. Otherwise, we might have had a reenactment of the "killer" rabbit scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good Post.

I think the more we know the more we don't know when it comes to Mtn Lions.

I ride at night in Mtn Lion country a lot, especially this time of year and sometimes up to 4 nights a week. I also have raced over 20 24hr races over the past 12 years and except one in Kangaroo country (Oz) all have been in Mtn Lion territory. Not boasting at all but adding all this for perspective. I'm certainly one who would have become bait or food if there was a pervasive problem in Norcal.

Ironically I have seen 3 Mtn Lions over the past 10 years (2 in Auburn and 1 in Weaverville). All 3 were during the day and between the hours of 7AM and noon. I'm sure I've been "seen" hundreds of times by Mtn Lions who sized me up and decided that I was either not prey or I simply smelled too bad and did not pounce.

I respect the heck out of them but don't let the thought of them out there ruin my ride.
    Team Kinetic Cycles/Fat Bikes Rule!

mtbr member
    Because we're big, loud, and have bright lights if we're out during the time they like to roam.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What an entertaining thread, I like!
    All true with respect to night activeness, the risk assessment intelligence and the preference to take another of those harmless deer instead of a human, and we stink and we are too noisy.
    However, especially in the Santa Cruz Mountains their population is growing. And since that species has a quite massive territory demand and don´t respect others, the jungsters get chased out of mom´s area before the new breed comes down. No problem normally, but if population grows and available territory shrinks, that can lead to problems. Especially for problematic individuals, i.e. inexperienced ones of more aggressive individual nature.
    Friends live at Moody´s Rd and had a mountain lion having a deer for lunch on their property last year. Including leaving half the cadaver behind in the garden (where kid is playing). Was returning at night a couple of time (and recorded on their surveillance camera).
    So be careful out there.
    B

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    Good Post.

I think the more we know the more we don't know when it comes to Mtn Lions.

I ride at night in Mtn Lion country a lot, especially this time of year and sometimes up to 4 nights a week. I also have raced over 20 24hr races over the past 12 years and except one in Kangaroo country (Oz) all have been in Mtn Lion territory. Not boasting at all but adding all this for perspective. I'm certainly one who would have become bait or food if there was a pervasive problem in Norcal.

Ironically I have seen 3 Mtn Lions over the past 10 years (2 in Auburn and 1 in Weaverville). All 3 were during the day and between the hours of 7AM and noon. I'm sure I've been "seen" hundreds of times by Mtn Lions who sized me up and decided that I was either not prey or I simply smelled too bad and did not pounce.

I respect the heck out of them but don't let the thought of them out there ruin my ride.
    Great insight man!!

At night, we cannot see them... because we are basically blind. So chances of spotting one are even more miniscule than day.

How far were they when you spotted them? Were you looking for them?

I've been 'looking' for 20 years (scanning the hills always) and have nothing to show. I ask most of the park rangers too and they've never seen one.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndK View Post
    What an entertaining thread, I like!
    All true with respect to night activeness, the risk assessment intelligence and the preference to take another of those harmless deer instead of a human, and we stink and we are too noisy.
    However, especially in the Santa Cruz Mountains their population is growing. And since that species has a quite massive territory demand and don´t respect others, the jungsters get chased out of mom´s area before the new breed comes down. No problem normally, but if population grows and available territory shrinks, that can lead to problems. Especially for problematic individuals, i.e. inexperienced ones of more aggressive individual nature.
    Friends live at Moody´s Rd and had a mountain lion having a deer for lunch on their property last year. Including leaving half the cadaver behind in the garden (where kid is playing). Was returning at night a couple of time (and recorded on their surveillance camera).
    So be careful out there.
    B

They eat deer every 3-5 days so there's deer carcass all around. I don't think anything we do or do not affects the outcome. I say use bright lights and tail lights when riding in the dark.

But really, the chances are so, so miniscule. There's 20 other things that can harm us. Like snakes for example. Or deer. Or cars on the way to the trail.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yes, one thing that I've learned in my years on this Earth is not to mess with mothers of any species with cubs...haha. We had an encounter with a mother raccoon in Irvine, CA with 4 kits under her care in the landscaped area in front of the door to our apartment. Good thing we were separated through our open door by a baby gate. Otherwise, we might have had a reenactment of the "killer" rabbit scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    Haha...I like it.

I have found the large rodents like skunks, porcupines, raccoons, etc to be much more tenacious than the larger predators that people fear. I've seen just about every mammal out there, fisher cat, badger wolves to name some of the cooler one's, but like others have said, I have never had the privilege of seeing a cougar. I've come across dens, fresh kills and know spots where they are 40 yards off in the woods but have yet to see one.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Haha...I like it.

I have found the large rodents like skunks, porcupines, raccoons, etc to be much more tenacious than the larger predators that people fear. I've seen just about every mammal out there, fisher cat, badger wolves to name some of the cooler one's, but like others have said, I have never had the privilege of seeing a cougar. I've come across dens, fresh kills and know spots where they are 40 yards off in the woods but have yet to see one.
    Yep, and that comes from someone always out there with eyes wide open. They are just elusive animals who stay the heck away from us no matter how much we encroach.

Game and surveillance cameras have increased 'sightings' but that just shows that they live in the hills, eat deer every few days and still manage to avoid us.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    FC: All 3 of the Mtn Lions I have seen have run across the trail in front of me. That makes me wonder how many have run across behind me that I have not seen.

The 2 Auburn encounters were on Connector and were about 100-200 feet in front of me. They appeared and were gone within a split second but there was no mistaking the long rope tail each time. The Weaverville encounter was somewhat comical. It came in the middle of the Team Bigfoot Weaverville 9-5 race. I had a friend about 150' in front of me on single track and the Mtn Lion ran across the trail between the two of us. I quickly hammered up to him and explained what had just happened. He had an "Oh $hit" moment.
    Team Kinetic Cycles/Fat Bikes Rule!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    FC: All 3 of the Mtn Lions I have seen have run across the trail in front of me. That makes me wonder how many have run across behind me that I have not seen.

The 2 Auburn encounters were on Connector and were about 100-200 feet in front of me. They appeared and were gone within a split second but there was no mistaking the long rope tail each time. The Weaverville encounter was somewhat comical. It came in the middle of the Team Bigfoot Weaverville 9-5 race. I had a friend about 150' in front of me on single track and the Mtn Lion ran across the trail between the two of us. I quickly hammered up to him and explained what had just happened. He had an "Oh $hit" moment.
    Beauty! Very lucky.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    We should all carry a deer knife. Will be 1000000 times more useful than cougar knife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-54657c3f1c54f5d5b5cde4d6d33cde68.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    maybe more legible. maybe

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-54657c3f1c54f5d5b5cde4d6d33cde68.jpg

click on it to make it bigger
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What happened to the original poster Woodrock? Hmmmm....
    IPA will save America

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Great insight man!!

At night, we cannot see them... because we are basically blind. So chances of spotting one are even more miniscule than day.

How far were they when you spotted them? Were you looking for them?

I've been 'looking' for 20 years (scanning the hills always) and have nothing to show. I ask most of the park rangers too and they've never seen one.
    It is amazing that with so many of us in the woods regularly, that so few of us have ever seen a mountain lion in the flesh.

I've seen a mountain lion once about 200-300 yards away in Sunol Regional Park on the fireroad and that was a sight that I will never forget. I had my kids with me. One was 7 and the other was 4. We had hiked up to the top of a rise in the fireroad and right there on the next rise in the fireroad was a feline-type of creature. For a moment, I kept telling myself, 'Oh, it's just a big bobcat' until reality kicked in and the fact that this "cat" had about a 3 foot tail was pretty good proof that it was not a bobcat. I told my kids to take a good look because they might never see another mountain lion, picked up my little one, and hightailed back the way we came.

Come to think of it, I've seen a lot of cool stuff in the woods with my kids. We had a front row seat for the Perseid meteor showers last August after backpacking to an alpine lake. My son said it was a sight that he'll never forget. Good stuff.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We should all carry a deer knife. Will be 1000000 times more useful than cougar knife.
    Ha!
    One would think bees would be at the very top of that list. I've seen plenty of deer. Running down a country back road at 100mph+ on your sport bike is very inopportune moment to have one run out in front of you...lemme tell ya.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You just need to get out fishing more often and you might see some. These were at Shasta last November...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQe7JodDRI

And even better... a little worrisome how this mtn lion keeps moving toward this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJ-yk_WbYs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been lucky enough to see two in almost 30 yrs of mt biking all over the west and both were in the Eastbay. Saw one 10 plus years ago crossing an open field from one set of trees to another and one a couple years ago from about 30 yards. The close one was small, my guess a juvenile, it crossed the trail and down a ravine. The most impressive thing was how far it leapt with no run. Between deer and turkeys I don't think they are going hungry hence I think we are not on their radar as food.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    You just need to get out fishing more often and you might see some. These were at Shasta last November...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQe7JodDRI

And even better... a little worrisome how this mtn lion keeps moving toward this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJ-yk_WbYs
    The swimming cougar one is unbelievable!!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Right! Rad reference to a super old post !
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    They know we're all carrying mountain lion knives.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've been riding about 18 years and I've seen 1. Of course I was on my singlespeed (slowest bike ever!) headed right for him/her on Fort Ord near the BLM office. The encounter lasted a second and POOF it was gone! Pretty cool.

I know 3-4 other guys who have seen them in other spots on Ord and Toro.

-My take is they live in a target-rich environment. Especially around Monterey County.

They have no need to mess with humans unless they're sick/wounded as others have mentioned..... Amazing creatures that demand respect nevertheless.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    I think a rat got him

A lot of us saw "Willard" in the 70s so we know those rat eating people stats are way too low--prolly fake news

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I was riding on Beezley Hill last year during cow grazing time. I got to the top of the climb saw a herd of cattle on the trail and decided to ride around them. I didn't notice that a cafe was off to my left 30 yards down a little slope. The mother started to charge at me and I just bolted down the hill off the trail. That was a close call.

middle ring single track
    Woodrock??? The Scotts Valley bank robber seems to know these hills pretty good.

Highway 17 reopens after chaos; gunman at large who shot at officer

Dude bailed in Redwood Estates; next seen Aldercroft Heights; methinks he's crossing Sierra Azul to the safety of the Silicon Valley.

Let's see; would I rather come across a cougar or an armed and dangerous felon who just shot at police???
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Woodrock??? The Scotts Valley bank robber seems to know these hills pretty good.

Dude bailed in Redwood Estates; next seen Aldercroft Heights; methinks he's crossing Sierra Azul to the safety of the Silicon Valley.

Let's see; would I rather come across a cougar or an armed and dangerous felon who just shot at police???
    Don't joke about Woodrock, he takes that shit seriously. Actually he likes you so it's all good.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Have you freakin smelled a mtb rider?? We is sweating up a storm in our baggies, armor and then blast around in dirt. There's a reason my wife calls me PigPen after I ride
    Have you smelled a deer? They stink. In Marin they are so used to people you can pass a few feet from them and they wouldn't move, then you get the pleasure of smelling a mountain lion meal.

Smells like a mountain biker didn't shower for a month and rode every day of that month. Tell your wife it can be worse.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    So I rode Stevens Canyon Trail today and saw about 50 deer by the trail. Damn.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Don't joke about Woodrock, he takes that shit seriously. Actually he likes you so it's all good.
    Woodrock has got da issues...not that I don't have my own

fc
    stoked Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Woodrock has got da issues...not that I don't have my own
    Maybe same dude as the the front brake guy. What his name?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2014
    At fc, I think that was tom cat.

My only cougar siting was last summer at Lopez Lake, east of pismo beach. The trails follow the rolling hills, in and out of the hill ravines along the lake. Fun place. came around a corner and surprised 3 deer; 2 jumped uphill and the 3rd one turned into a cougar and stopped just uphill from where I stopped. 30 to 40 feet up slope and I was trapped in the ravine. Saw it partially through a bush. Got off the bike and got my cougar knife (a 2.5 inch pocket knife - highly ineffective!) and starting yelling at it. It moved off slowly as we both could hear the deer were still up slope. Continued on my ride and did not see it again.

Have not seen any on my rides in auburn, robinson flat, grouse ridge and tahoe national forest areas.

middle ring single track
    Maybe same dude as the the front brake guy. What his name?
    Yes Tom Cat; woodrock and Tom Cat have a similar level of passion but one (former) is articulate and the other (latter) wasn't.

Not likely one in the same.

I've posted these here before; my trail-cam was 25' from the Los Gatos city limit line above Blossom Hill Rd. I knew there was a cougar in the area due to a deer kill but it took something like 10,000 images (mostly of deer but got a couple of deer poachers too) over several months before catching these pictures:

Not sure if that's one cat or 2; the cat with just the rear end in the pix seemed to be larger; I have photos of deer in the same location and that cat is nearly as tall as a deer.

BTW the camera was eventually stolen.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I heard that he has joined forces with Jim Preston to finally find the answer to a question that has perplexed humans since the dawn of time: Who's on first?

Who, indeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    F**king cats.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I heard that he has joined forces with Jim Preston to finally find the answer to a question that has perplexed humans since the dawn of time: Who's on first?

Who, indeed.
    Woah, woah, woah.... maybe it is preston. Preston abandoned ship after the Passion Trail affair and then Woodrock shows up.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    Woah, woah, woah.... maybe it is preston. Preston abandoned ship after the Passion Trail affair and then Woodrock shows up.
    Word on the street is that JP is advising Putin on how to deal with Trump for an 8-figure fee with a bike park complex in Sochi thrown in to sweeten the deal.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Word on the street is that JP is advising Putin on how to deal with Trump for an 8-figure fee with a bike park complex in Sochi thrown in to sweeten the deal.
    good one !!!
    IPA will save America

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I've posted these here before; my trail-cam was 25' from the Los Gatos city limit line above Blossom Hill Rd. I knew there was a cougar in the area due to a deer kill but it took something like 10,000 images (mostly of deer but got a couple of deer poachers too) over several months before catching these pictures:
    Not sure if that's one cat or 2; the cat with just the rear end in the pix seemed to be larger; I have photos of deer in the same location and that cat is nearly as tall as a deer.

Nice shots, the one with the big booty may have been a JLo descendant.

I hope you turned over the photos of the deer poachers to the Fish and Game. BTW they were probably the ones who stole the camera.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Name:  moutainlion.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  39.2 KB

Doesn't this sign by the Midpen Park System on every trailhead in the Bay Area make almost every man, woman, child fearful of using the park. Does it make the mountain lion a feared and hated creature even though there's miniscule danger from them? Thoughts?

Does this kind of sign about mountain lion exist anywhere else around the country??
    IPA will save America

Da' Ripper!
    Aug 2016
    I have a profile hub on my trail bike and have never seen a mountain lion in my 1000+ miles of trail riding. Noise might be the primary deterrent, but then again, on the climb's the hub won't help me out that much.

Formerly dvo
    Name:  moutainlion.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  39.2 KB

Doesn't this sign by the Midpen Park System on every trailhead in the Bay Area make almost every man, woman, child fearful of using the park. Does it make the mountain lion a feared and hated creature even though there's miniscule danger from them? Thoughts?

Does this kind of sign about mountain lion exist anywhere else around the country??

Just like with the bees sign at Fremont Older Midpen will err on the side of being overly cautious.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I think it's a combination of reasons:
    1. They don't how weak we are, and they avoid the risk of trying it out. Wild animals are risk-averse, because an injury most certainly means starvation for them. Should they ever try, they get killed leaving a population of lions without a reference point. You can seeon historic reports that once a cat (leopard, tiger, lion) turned maneater, they start to kill frequently. Some of them killed more than 100 people. Today they get tracked and shot much faster than back then.
    2. All cat owners know that felines are picky eaters. They're not big into trying new things.
    3. There's a very healthy deer population in California. Mountain lions are the only real predators for them and because mountain lions are solitary the population doesn't grow enough to make a dent in the deer population.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I hope you turned over the photos of the deer poachers to the Fish and Game. BTW they were probably the ones who stole the camera.
    This was in season (archery) and they had tags/permission to hunt 2 parcels over; not however where they bagged the deer or to go across my place which they did on the haul out when they showed up on my camera. More of a trespass issue of which I didn't really care. They may have genuinely been lost (thrill of the hunt) so I'll cut them some slack for that too. My neighbor and I had a good laugh when I showed them the photos.

Camera was stolen several weeks later and circumstantial evidence (trash/paraphernalia left in the area about the same time) points to tweakers going to Leigh High.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    F.C.

Here in Colorado Springs some parks have similar warning signs. Usually they have a mtn. lion next to a bear sign sometimes next to a rattlesnake sign.
    They just have a drawing of each critter and say they have been spotted in the area it doesn't show how to pick up your child and throw it at the lion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    HA! Mine is "Enrique."

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    F.C.

Here in Colorado Springs some parks have similar warning signs. Usually they have a mtn. lion next to a bear sign sometimes next to a rattlesnake sign.
    They just have a drawing of each critter and say they have been spotted in the area it doesn't show how to pick up your child and throw it at the lion.
    Distract the lion with child. Run!!!
    IPA will save America

This was in season (archery) and they had tags/permission to hunt 2 parcels over; not however where they bagged the deer or to go across my place which they did on the haul out when they showed up on my camera. More of a trespass issue of which I didn't really care. They may have genuinely been lost (thrill of the hunt) so I'll cut them some slack for that too. My neighbor and I had a good laugh when I showed them the photos.

Camera was stolen several weeks later and circumstantial evidence (trash/paraphernalia left in the area about the same time) points to tweakers going to Leigh High.
    Understandable.

And that sucks the camera was taken. My brother is in North County San Diego and has a game camera set up in his back yard, which backs up to a canyon in a suburb setting. He gets frequent coyote / rabbit / Roadrunners and the occasional bobcat photo.

Here's his latest bobcat photo.

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-img_9461.jpg
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Because we carry large knives and guns.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Don't forget chapstick, because all three have the same effectiveness rate for thwarting mountain lion attacks.

^^ Don't forget chapstick, because all three have the same effectiveness rate for thwarting mountain lion attacks.
    Chapstick, seriously? I thought it was sun tan lotion.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Cool lil cat roaming on one of our newly built trails in Auburn.

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-pict0014sm.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0014sm.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1119200
    That kitty doesn't look too "lil" to me Did you take the pic?

That kitty doesn't look too "lil" to me Did you take the pic?
    The trail is 4' on average so she's just a baby.

It was taken with one of our game cams.

fc
    stoked Administrator

Name:	PICT0014sm.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1119200
    Nice! Daytime too.

Now, maybe you can say 'you were just riding along.'

fc
    IPA will save America

Awesome shot JC ^

I moved back to Colorado 5 years ago just in time to see this on my local news. This happened in rural Boulder.

Be sure to turn your volume up.

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Awesome shot JC ^

I moved back to Colorado 5 years ago just in time to see this on my local news. This happened in rural Boulder.
    I saw that. So awesome. I could see my knucklead cats doing that. Dean is vicious! lol
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOGiK4vh...-by=sam_n_dean

I saw that. So awesome. I could see my knucklead cats doing that. Dean is vicious! lol
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOGiK4vh...-by=sam_n_dean
    Hilarious with what he said to her. I won't spoil it for others but too bad it may have lasted longer. I fixed the embed.

Dean the bad arse.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Hilarious with what he said to her. I won't spoil it for others but too bad it may have lasted longer. I fixed the embed.

Dean the bad arse.
    It wouldn't have been half as cool without his comment. LOL

mtbr member
    From all data I have seen, generally if there was a mountain lion attack, it is someone that was perceived smaller than them like small children or an adult that was crouching. That is why experts always tell you to try to make yourself appear bigger like lifting your bike above you when you encounter a mountain lion. In the animal world bigger is stronger and they perceive humans as being bigger because we are taller. Also, mountain lions generally nocturnal and mostly active at dusk/dawn to hunt for prey.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    From all data I have seen, generally if there was a mountain lion attack, it is someone that was perceived smaller than them like small children or an adult that was crouching. That is why experts always tell you to try to make yourself appear bigger like lifting your bike above you when you encounter a mountain lion. In the animal world bigger is stronger and they perceive humans as being bigger because we are taller. Also, mountain lions generally nocturnal and mostly active at dusk/dawn to hunt for prey.
    From all the data I've seen, it's nothing to worry about.

For 20 years, I've practiced lifting my bike and my children over my head to appear bigger. But hasn't worked for me or come in to play here in Norcal.

If there is one injured/crazy cougar out there in a million, (cause there aways is), it will take you from behind and bite the back of your neck.

But getting killed by a bee, snake or deer is hundreds of times more likely.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Riding a bicycle through the woods is far more likely to result in injury than being bitten by a mountain lion, snake, bee or other.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Riding a bicycle through the woods is far more likely to result in injury than being bitten by a mountain lion, snake, bee or other.
    I fear more issues with headaches or cramps from lack of hydration than a mountain lion life or death situation.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    I fear more issues with headaches or cramps from lack of hydration than a mountain lion life or death situation.
    Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-www.downhillmtbaddicts.blogspot.com-rideurs1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

Name:	www.downhillmtbaddicts.blogspot.com-Rideurs1.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	1119481
    Well that too.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member

Who is that falling with style?

Plenty of dear and turkeys in my area... 🦌🦌🦌

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Watch out for those seagulls on the trail.

middle ring single track
    FWIW at Coe Park we just had our annual meeting/luncheon for the uniformed volunteer group and our keynote speaker was a retired Coe ranger with some 30 years on the job. In that time he had 20 occasions to see cougars; several times was mother cats with kitten(s). About the worst time to be close; he was hissed at once and growled at once---the cats went on their way and he went on his.

FWIW at Coe Park we just had our annual meeting/luncheon for the uniformed volunteer group and our keynote speaker was a retired Coe ranger with some 30 years on the job. In that time he had 20 occasions to see cougars; several times was mother cats with kitten(s). About the worst time to be close; he was hissed at once and growled at once---the cats went on their way and he went on his.
    See, growling back does help. I learned early on with my cougar.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Lions look at every food source from a calories gained vs calories lost viewpoint. Mountain bikers just have too low of a fat content to be worth chasing.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    Lions look at every food source from a calories gained vs calories lost viewpoint. Mountain bikers just have too low of a fat content to be worth chasing.
    Ummm... no.

They just like the taste of deer. And it's what has allowed them to survive for eons.

Those deer are insanely powerful animals. There's a lot of calories and risk spent taking those down.

Those mountain bikes, specially the ones at the back of the pack. Prolly one swipe effort. Lots of fat.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ummm... no.

They just like the taste of deer. And it's what has allowed them to survive for eons.

Those deer are insanely powerful animals. There's a lot of calories and risk spent taking those down.

Those mountain bikes, specially the ones at the back of the pack. Prolly one swipe effort. Lots of fat.
    My post was a feeble attempt at humor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Yeah. I was riding before daylight the next morning up from Saratoga to Bohlman while the guy was still on the loose. I'm trying to dig up the morning photos of 17 with no lights from the top of the Montevina Connector Trail.

BTW, the MPOS people sent me a map of the top of Bohlman which I can't publish but which is very (very!) interesting. I can publish a facsimile.

Anyway, I'll try to dig out the pictures of the ride before dawn when the rather athletic bank robber was terrorizing 17 and Aldercroft Heights and Redwood Estates.

mtbr member
    We saw one riding at Fort Ord one year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Somewhat related to topic, decided to try posting this here rather than create a new thread:

I found this animal track today near Miners Ravine Creek in Roseville. I've convinced myself this is a mountain lion track, what do you guys think?

Edit: By the way, the track looked to be 3 or 4 inches wide/long.

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-img_20170223_141721.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonG View Post
    Somewhat related to topic, decided to try posting this here rather than create a new thread:

I found this animal track today near Miners Ravine Creek in Roseville. I've convinced myself this is a mountain lion track, what do you guys think?

Name:	IMG_20170223_141721.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	1123366
    That looks like a front paw print from a big kitty.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodrock View Post
    Yeah. I was riding before daylight the next morning up from Saratoga to Bohlman while the guy was still on the loose. I'm trying to dig up the morning photos of 17 with no lights from the top of the Montevina Connector Trail.

BTW, the MPOS people sent me a map of the top of Bohlman which I can't publish but which is very (very!) interesting. I can publish a facsimile.

Anyway, I'll try to dig out the pictures of the ride before dawn when the rather athletic bank robber was terrorizing 17 and Aldercroft Heights and Redwood Estates.
    Where you been hiding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Where you been hiding?
    They put in a new ACL, which didn't hurt too badly, but what requires morphine is that the took out a slice of tendon from my kneecap down to use as the ACL. I've been on a machine which "rides my leg" 24/7, which is an interesting feeling.

Anyway, I generally ride trails that nobody knows about, in the early morning hours, when the mountain lions are done eating the deer, we hope.

In all my years of early morning riding these trails in the SJWC watershed (MPOS?) I have never once encountered either a human being or a mountain lion.

I don't know who maintains these trails, but I have to carry the bike past some of the obstacles.

I guess nobody is there because the trails are a bit rocky, so I guess I deserved the busted ACL after all.

Distract the lion with child. Run!!!
    As for what fc said about how to use children to distract the mountain lion, this sign shows how to do that properly.

There are other distraction methods than children though...

Apparently, you handle cougars you encounter on the trail a bit differently:

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonG View Post

Name:	IMG_20170223_141721.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	1123366
    No expert here, but I don't think so. Sounds too small and too shallow. And it looks like there's a claw print, but cats usually retract them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast