Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonG View Post
    Somewhat related to topic, decided to try posting this here rather than create a new thread:

I found this animal track today near Miners Ravine Creek in Roseville. I've convinced myself this is a mountain lion track, what do you guys think?

Edit: By the way, the track looked to be 3 or 4 inches wide/long.

Attachment 1123366

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    No expert here, but I don't think so. Sounds too small and too shallow. And it looks like there's a claw print, but cats usually retract them.
    Bingo, that print is a canine print not a cat. All cats except the Cheetah retract their claws while walking or running. They only come out in an attack. A Cheetah is out all the time and help them to be the fastest critter on the planet.

An easy way to distinquish a cat from a canine or bear in the states is a claw mark or lack of in the print.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    No expert here, but I don't think so. Sounds too small and too shallow. And it looks like there's a claw print, but cats usually retract them.
    I'm certainly not an expert. What if it isn't a big kitty but, a baby big kitty Good call on the nails/claws...cats usually do have them retracted, except when attacking something. You think I would know that...my cat is currently sitting between me and the screen I'm typing on

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    If I ever see a mountain lion again, I'm going to catch it and teach it to play the drums. It's hard to find a good drummer who isn't totally flaky and I think a mountain lion drummer would be a big draw for concerts and parties and stuff.
    Drunk Cougars always draw a crowd!

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    If I ever see a mountain lion again, I'm going to catch it and teach it to play the drums. It's hard to find a good drummer who isn't totally flaky and I think a mountain lion drummer would be a big draw for concerts and parties and stuff.
    Where you hiding squashyo???

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ He's been at a butterfly seminar. Pictures coming soon!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    In deep mud claw marks may be present in a feline print but it is not common. A better indicator is the lobe count on the front and rear of the heel print and the spacing of the toe prints. This is a good generalization.

Name:  LionVsWolfAnnotate_zps5b818ae0.gif
Views: 404
Size:  7.1 KB

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-la_me_mountain_lion06-970px.jpg

mtbr member
    Mountain lions are selective and will attack riders but only those on E-Bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by testa di cazzo View Post
    Shocking!

mtbr member

Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    In deep mud claw marks may be present in a feline print but it is not common. A better indicator is the lobe count on the front and rear of the heel print and the spacing of the toe prints. This is a good generalization.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	la_me_mountain_lion06-970px.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	1123443
    Mountain Lions: Why don't they attack trail riders more often?-print_edited.jpg

quite proud of this
    Last edited by griffsterb; 02-24-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post

Name:	la_me_mountain_lion06-970px.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	1123443
    Excellent work, Sherlock

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Doesn't this sign by the Midpen Park System on every trailhead in the Bay Area make almost every man, woman, child fearful of using the park. Does it make the mountain lion a feared and hated creature even though there's miniscule danger from them? Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that in the daylight, I don't worry about mountain lions, but in the early morning hours, I do worry at least a little bit about being "hunted".

The main times that I take heed is when I arrive a bit sooner to the trailhead on my treks from home than I had intended to arrive.

I generally aim to arrive at the trail after the sun comes up:

But sometimes I make good time in the cold crisp air where the dew is still frozen on the ground and on the trailhead logs:

Since lions presumably hunt in the early morning and late evening hours, I read whatever signs are there more intently:

But they don't actually say anything about lions in the early morning hours:

BTW, as an aside this picture was taken at dawn on January 27th, when Highway 17 was closed in the southbound direction; so you don't see any red tail lights paralleling the white headlights off to the right side of the picture.

I just have an old cellphone as a camera but the sunrises are fantastic looking out from Saratoga over toward the cube at Umunhum.

I just hope mountain lions don't hunt all that much at this time of the day...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Actually they go for the slowest in the pack, so the ebike riders are safe (unless the battery runs down, then Doooom)

mtbr member
    If youre looking for a good place to see cougars, I highly recommend the Folsom Zoo. They have a few cougars there, and they are absolutely amazing animals to see in person.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mountain Lion Sighting 2 days ago: Granite Bay not far from the trail system.

Our Nextdoor Group reported several sightings in Los Lagos and surrounding neighborhoods.

We are certain we have a resident lion that has staked out the area as its territory. We have had a number of sightings over the past 2 years, deer kills and an attacked but fortunately not badly injured dog in the vicinity.

They're out there but unless you wear a deer costume on the trails you are extremely unlikely to encounter an issue. I'm still enjoying my night rides as well as I always have......
    Team Kinetic Cycles/Fat Bikes Rule!

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    They're out there but unless you wear a deer costume on the trails you are extremely unlikely to encounter an issue. I'm still enjoying my night rides as well as I always have......
    1000% agreed. They were out there before the sightings... and long after. They eat deer every few days.

No need to be fearful and modify/stop your bike rides. It's always business as usual and they want very little to do with us then and now.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Interesting theory ... here's a local bobcat's reaction to seeing Santa on an eMTB.

About the size of my 70-lb. golden retriever, but leaner.

Good Girl! :-)

Catfish ...

middle ring single track

AQ kitty

One of my buddies from Coe posted this encounter from yesterday at Almaden Quicksilver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAm_QM-YdtI&feature=youtu.be

Near the Webb Canyon entrance.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    One of my buddies from Coe posted this encounter from yesterday at Almaden Quicksilver:

One of the clearest wild lion videos I've ever seen from an incidental encounter. I've seen a couple lions myself but they were far away and/or run off before i could get my zoom camera out.

This sighting was from one of my Almaden neighbors who added more detail on the local Nextdoor postings. He and his wife were hiking in that Web Canyon Trail area for about 2 hours and only saw 3 other people, 90 minutes earlier. They first saw the lion right next to the trail, within 30' of them, so he was able to get a good video with his cell phone. After observing it for about 2 minutes, it seemed very calm, so he figured they were safe. The reason he moved along the trail and towards the lion, making noise, was to "remind it that it should stay away from people". A few minutes earlier he was looking around that area and thinking that there could be lion watching us and we would never know it. After the video ends it was sitting down in the grass and you could barely see the tips of its ears-you'd never notice this in passing.

KPIX5 showed the video last night at 11, and asked to do an interview with them today -assuming bigger news doesn't take their crew away.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member

Wow. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    You just need to get out fishing more often and you might see some. These were at Shasta last November...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQe7JodDRI

And even better... a little worrisome how this mtn lion keeps moving toward this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJ-yk_WbYs
    The Shasta lake swimming one... I work with the kids grandfather. He was excited to share the cougar story with us at the time it happened.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post

Name:	print_edited.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	1123445

quite proud of this

Here's a true cougar track from my property to compare.
    When I put my hand over the print it was wider than my hand

Notice no claw marks like a canine print.
    Another give away that it's a cougar is the fact that the 3 outer toes slant forward and the last inner toe slants back, a canine print does not.
    This print is a front right paw of an adult male cougar. The rear paw has a slightly different profile, and it was to big to be a female.

Slowest Rider

Here's the CBS news interview with the hikers who took the video.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

One of the best recording of a mountain lion chirp I've ever heard.

Sounds like a squirrel or marmot. I believe it is generally used a greeting or locating call between a mother and cubs. I'm not sure though. They're cats so that means they're just weird.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    That's pretty cool!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

because GIANT
    pretty simple

your handlebars look like horns

and cougars don't like to mess with apes.

apes mess up your whole day, all
    animals know that. apes will eat your face.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Especially those damn dirty apes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If you think like a cat... They don't like noise, they are creatures of habit and like to eat what they usually eat, their hunting strategies are based on observed predictive behavior (humans are not familiar), they are generally wary of larger mammals, they mainly hunt around dusk/dawn, they are lazy when fed, and bikes must be somewhat confusing to them. But if none of the above applies to the situation, good luck, because it will only take about 0.2 seconds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    If you think like a cat...
    I think that's the key, which is that they think like a cat.

I've been studying my cat lately ... watching it pounce on anything that moves away in a straight line or that makes scratching noises where the curious cat can't see what it is ... it investigates first ... and then it gets ready to pounce ... but it waits a few seconds ... and, as you noted, it's skittish to strange movements or sounds ... but once the prey starts to scurry away ... the cat immediately pounces ... and goes for the head ... with its mouth and front paws ...

As you noted, it takes only about 0.2 seconds from pounce to chomp...

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    If you think like a cat... They don't like noise, they are creatures of habit and like to eat what they usually eat, their hunting strategies are based on observed predictive behavior (humans are not familiar), they are generally wary of larger mammals, they mainly hunt around dusk/dawn, they are lazy when fed, and bikes must be somewhat confusing to them. But if none of the above applies to the situation, good luck, because it will only take about 0.2 seconds.
    I don't know. House cats will kill anything often for sport and leave it by their owner's bed.

Mountain lion kill the biggest and most powerful animals around... deer.

Through eons, the have learned that if they kill a human or are even seen by them, they are dead. So they've remained the most elusive around even as we've built houses and farms in the hills and forests where they live.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12