mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mountain Biking Santa Cruz vs Utah

I have a job offer in Santa Cruz. I've heard there is awesome mountain biking. How does it compare to Utah. My backyard is the Wasatch range. What's the XC mountain bike race scene in SC.......Endurance racing? Help.......I need some advice to help me make my decision.

Whoaohohohoh
    awesome. santa cruz has got any time of mountain biking you could wish for, cross country free riding road biking........whatever you want. The big race is the sea otter classic, which is actually happening this coming weekend.

I would suggest coming out here, and looking around and maybe trying some of the local trails as that help you make the decision and while your at it, hook me up with a job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've lived in SC and in SLC and have logged a ton of miles in both. Both have killer riding, but both are pretty different. I could go through a lengthy list of compare / contrast, but bottom line, you won't be disappointed with what SC and surrounding areas have to offer. You won't get the vertical drop that the Wasatch Crest trail offers, but there is plenty of sweet riding to keep a smile on your face. Best of luck!

I am lost, I'm no guide

... and if we just ... There's mountain biking in Santa Cruz?

Honestly,

I hope you take into consideration the difference in housing prices between SLC and SCruz. It ain't cheap to live in paradise...
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Fartographer
    That's funny. I mostly ride in Santa Cruz and I love it. But I keep thinking about moving to SLC. I've ridden a little on the Wasatch Front and I really like it. Moab and St. George access are very cool, too. No poison oak is a huge plus. But riding loamy soil in the redwoods is sweet. Just look out for stinky hippies on the UCSC trails. Use 'em for berms!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    I think the best thing about riding in Santa Cruz is that many of the trails are accesible from your doorstep. I don't know how riding here compares with Utah but there is enough of a mix here to not get bored. As far as racing goes, there is a really strong cyclocross race series, but no mtn races here in SC county. I would consider Sea Otter to be more of a regional and national event than a local type race. There used to be a race called "Trees to Breeze" or "Breeze to Trees" or something, but It's been gone for some time. Any of you guys know what happened to that thing? If you have any specific questions about Santa Cruz, there are a lot of us on this board who live here so fire away.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Riding out your doorstep

The value of that cannot be overrated, especially when you have a family.

You can ride every day, mountain or road and never put your bike on the car if you're willing to spin for 20 minutes to get to the trails.

29 some of the time...
    Pro-Santa Cruz: Great trails, good weather, year round riding.
    Negative-Santa Cruz: most great trails are also illegal

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Santa Cruz vs Utah

Good feedback...thanks. I have heard about the "illegal" trails in the Santa Cruz and Bay Area........that's ashame. Especially since mountain bikers were the original users of most of those trails That's one thing that you don't run into in Utah.......all the trails are open. Does the park service really crack-down on these "illegal" trails, or can they be poached? Does anyone know of the 100 mile mountain bike race in Santa Cruz? Supposedly they held one last year. That's a bummer there's not much of a race circuit but it sounds you don't have to go far to get your fix. Well....I got some thinking to do. Riding year-round is a bonus. Unless you go to Moab (4 hrs) there's not much mtb riding in the Salt Lake area this spring. The good early spring trails got a foot of snow yesterday. Good pow in the mountains though.