Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountain Biking Mt. Shasta Area?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  telemike 
#1 ·
Does anyone know about mtb trail opportunities around Mt. Shasta? I'm applying for a job near there. The only info I found so far was for some downhill stuff on the Mtn itself, which did look fun, but are there any trail networks or loop options for all mtn / xc riding?:confused:

#3 ·
Lots of xc options

I don't know of them all, but the lower area of the downhill run is filled with xc trail intertwining backing and forth. There are a few other trails in the genral area. The local shop will be able to point you in the right direction. An hour north you have unlimited riding in the greater ashland area. An hour south you have pretty much unlimited riding in the Redding area, although its not as fun as Ashland, the trails around Redding stay open all year long.

#6 ·
Besides Entertainer (The downhill from the old ski bowl) there isn't a lot of legal trail around there but there is some of the PCT that we poach from time to time.

In Castella (15 minutes south) there is PCT on both sides of I-5 which is just amazing. Hardly anybody uses it so why not us right?

#7 ·
Lake Siskiyou Perimeter trail

The bike trail that goes around the perimeter of Lake Siskiyou is a beautiful place to ride, mainly because of the conifer diversity of the forest. A botanist friend explained to me that Mount Shasta is the hub around which several eco-regions converge; the Cascade, the Sierra, and the Coastal mountain ranges all meet here. How many different conifer trees will you see? Up to 27, if you're willing to climb Mt Shasta, and hike the Pacific Crest Trail between Castle Lake, and Gumboot Lake.

Mike from The Bike Shop of Mt Shasta called & said that my bike parts had come in. I bent my Derailleur bracket & needed to replace my brake shoes. So, after he fixed my bike I went for a ride around the lake going counter clockwise.

The following photos are of the Wagon Wheel Bridge, the temporary bridges on the northwest side of the lake, Lake Siskiyou campground, The Pizza Parlor at the campground, and the Golf course.

#9 ·
Lots of work has been done on an xc system not to far from the town of Mt. Shasta. Locals refer to it as the "Tunnel Trail System" and the new stuff the "Gateway Trail." The organization has done a great job of tying all the old and new loops together and creating maps. Signs and markers throughout the system allow you to have an idea of where you're going and where you've been. Any bike shop in town can provide you with a map and specifics. I live in the town of Mt. Shasta and we've tried to get a mtn. bike group organized, but it hasn't happened. The biggest problem we get is the lack of rain on the volcanic ash. The main trails stay pretty firm but dusty. Some of the off trails are full of powdery ash. The trail around the lake stays good year round when there isn't snow on it. Redding and Yreka have great stuff and allow you to ride year round and they're 45-60 minutes from MS.
Hope this helps.

Kale

#10 ·
The Gateway trail is now completed to the tunnel trail. It's an mtb trail that goes from a lot just above the last houses on the Everit Memorial Highway and connects with the easier lower downhill trails. You then return on the side of the Mcloud railway right of way.

These are great trails. I spent a month at the Mt. Shasta KOA every spring now that I'm retired. Ski up early, ski down 11:00 ish for premier corn, eat lunch, ride the gate way trail to Marley or Tunnel, and repeat. And the locals claim that Mt. Shasta City medical weed is the world's best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.