Type A

More Folsom Lake Obscurities

Here's some more untravelled parts of Folsom lake. At one point, the lupines were so thick and the trail so tight, each pedal stroke was obscured by purple. This loop is around 5-6 miles and around 1,000 feet of climbing and descent. It easily hooks into established trails, so you can link it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Folsom Lake Obscurities-20130421_094806.jpg  

More Folsom Lake Obscurities-20130421_100041.jpg  

More Folsom Lake Obscurities-20130421_100052.jpg  

More Folsom Lake Obscurities-20130421_102225.jpg  

More Folsom Lake Obscurities-20130421_102244.jpg  

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Where exactly is this trail? Is it bootlegg or legal?

mtbr member

More Folsom Lake Obscurities

Where?!?!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Plus 3, where is it?

mtb'er
    Is it still a junkyard down there? Seems like the top got cleaned up, but I haven't gone down there in a long time. Nice pics.

Type A
    Anytime you get into hillbilly territory, there are going to be "improvised" junkyards. I just chalk it up to rural character. However other than the cement truck, which was either county or state owned at one time, was a totally trashed camper trailer. I'm not sure how much you have explored in that area, but there are quite a few offshoots and loops. I've hooked up quite a few. It ranges from single track, abandoned roads, to pastures. I also don't typically take a lot of pictures, but there was also a water pump windmill and a large abandoned mine with concrete foundations on this particular ride.

Concerning those that are wondering where this is located, I'm reluctant to post it but it doesn't have to do with my concerns of legality or caring if people ride it. From my perspective, exploring is a huge aspect of riding. There's something about not knowing what you are getting into that provides a totally different kind of rush. There's nothing like turning the corner after many hours of blind orienteering only to see something you recognize, especially if you're dead beat tired and were starting to contemplate hours of backtracking.

Hints:
    Folsom Lake
    Best access point Darrington trail, aka Salmon Falls

Go explore, because these kinds of trails are much better as blind adventures than ones with detailed maps and directions.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Nice.

I think I know roughly where this is, but I've never seen a cement truck there. Then again, I've only been back there 3-4 times and usually when going from point-a to point-b so didn't do too much exploring.

Uncle
    Huh. Must have been a pretty good size catalytic converter.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Type A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Nice.

I think I know roughly where this is, but I've never seen a cement truck there. Then again, I've only been back there 3-4 times and usually when going from point-a to point-b so didn't do too much exploring.
    I'm guessing that you explored another area, because the cement truck is in the trail and you have to skirt around it. It's also in an area that you wouldn't be using to get between points. It's a little more out of the way. Although it's close to salmon falls, they are at least a few miles apart.

President of the Internet
    How bout a hint? Looks like its North of Peninsula CG?
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

Type A
    Yes, north of the campground. There's actually quite a bit on both sides of the road. It just depends upon your comfort level with running into locals. I'm fluent in hillbilly, so I'm comfortable exploring. It's no guarantee, but those that aren't willing to take risk shouldn't be mountain biking in the first place. If you ever want a tour just let me know. However, when hot weather decides to invade, I tend to spend my riding time in Tahoe.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Yes, north of the campground. There's actually quite a bit on both sides of the road. It just depends upon your comfort level with running into locals. I'm fluent in hillbilly, so I'm comfortable exploring. It's no guarantee, but those that aren't willing to take risk shouldn't be mountain biking in the first place. If you ever want a tour just let me know. However, when hot weather decides to invade, I tend to spend my riding time in Tahoe.
    How bad could the hillbillies really be? Are we talking Deliverance, here? Or just boneheaded dudes out there shooting at stuff?

Type A
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    How bad could the hillbillies really be? Are we talking Deliverance, here? Or just boneheaded dudes out there shooting at stuff?
    Let's see... Abandoned cement mixers, torn apart campers, junkyard front yards, 80's red camaro, and throw in an occasional McMansion, you make the call. Rural life shows you what happens without cc&r's. It's lifestyle anarchy. I guess at least your neighbor is a half mile away, so you don't have to look at their shithole.