Trail Gnome

Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16

If you haven't gone to work yet, I suggest you call in sick and get back on the trails. It should be a great week to ride. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow??? I'll post up some pics then.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    would it be greedy to get two-a-day?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    With more viable options because of the weather, what's the best place to take a beginner-ish biker that's still fun but not overly technical? Arastradero would be too easy but she'd struggle on Manzanita @ Skeggs for example. She has good endurance so a lot of climbing/distance is fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    With more viable options because of the weather, what's the best place to take a beginner-ish biker that's still fun but not overly technical? Arastradero would be too easy but she'd struggle on Manzanita @ Skeggs for example. She has good endurance so a lot of climbing/distance is fine.
    Saratoga gap

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nothing to report yet, but likely heading to Pleasanton Ridge around mid day tomorrow if I get enough done in the am. I can't wait, those climbs are going to kill me in the lousy shape I am in !

mtbr member
    A beginner could easily do Blue Blossom and Giant Salamander then climb up Methuselah, if they have reasonable endurance.

Another good one is the new Ancient Oaks extension trail with a loop up at Russian Ridge.
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    would it be greedy to get two-a-day?
    It would be a waste not to.
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

fc
    Double rainbow... Upper and Lower Toyon are open again!

Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-img_5395-1-.jpg

So I ran downhill tires and I thought they wouldn't bother me. Holy Hesus they were slow.

So here's some cool meetings on the trail.

This old hiker couple asked me if I was running Plus tires. I asked them if they ride and we chatted for about 20 minutes.

Then I saw ranger Jeff and thanked him about opening Toyon trails. We chatted for a good 10 minutes.

Then on my way out, I saw Rob Roskopp and his son Harrison, a senior at Mitty High. We talked for a bit and he told me about his 4 bike speeding tickets at Fremont Older.

fc
    IPA will save America

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Downhill tires only go in the front. Rear mounting is just unnecessary torture. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    A beginner could easily do Blue Blossom and Giant Salamander then climb up Methuselah, if they have reasonable endurance.

Another good one is the new Ancient Oaks extension trail with a loop up at Russian Ridge.
    Bad ass, thanks! Haven't biked at RR yet, that might be fun.

We live near Alpine Road, anyone know if there is any rideable route up to RR since the washout?

Cheeseburgler
    Bad ass, thanks! Haven't biked at RR yet, that might be fun.

We live near Alpine Road, anyone know if there is any rideable route up to RR since the washout?
    I believe you can still get to meadow trail. I would do a loop like: Alpine -> meadow -> up to borel hill (great views) -> ridge trail to rapley ranch -> crazy pete's down back to alpine.

Trail Gnome
    Just got home from Tamarancho...there are still a few wet spots but, it's riding nice. In fact, some of the exposed areas could use some precipitation

mtbr member
    Skeggs tonight. Could use some rain. Getting a little dry but running fast!
    Braaaap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode Pleasanton Ridge yesterday. Trails were pretty good, still some water in spots from runoff, but totally rideable. I was terrible however...clearly my skiing and snow shoeing has not translated into being in mtn biking shape. I've got some work to do!

jct
    mtbr member
    Nisene marks is perfect. there are a few hike a bike sections on the fire road climb. nothing major.

ask
    user
    Got in a ride last night... good dirt, warm temps, and we cleared some debris from the trails. Might hit up Skeggs tonight and TNGR tomorrow after work.

Digging the longer days!
    Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-1489597257-4a1c1872-70cd-4709-901b-59682fa5bd40.jpgMon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-1489597229-2db0a490-b7b4-422d-8df2-de04a2fa0c72.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Got a loop in at Tamarancho yesterday - gorgeous afternoon.

Suprised me its a bit soupy in a lot of places though.

mtbr member

Is Long Ridge and peter's creek closed?

Anybody know if long ridge and peter's creek is open? The website says closed, but also last updated in January...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    If you haven't gone to work yet, I suggest you call in sick and get back on the trails. It should be a great week to ride. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow??? I'll post up some pics then.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason View Post
    Anybody know if long ridge and peter's creek is open? The website says closed, but also last updated in January...

Thanks.
    Still closed.
    IPA will save America

fc
    New rounds of rain about to start... allegedly.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Annadel today

Annadel was great today. A few wet spots in the shade but overall the trails were running fast and not crowded (lunch time anyway). Today was the first time riding the new steed out there. Ate it up handsomely. Cheers. instagram @bay_area_stoke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-img_0747.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Watch for deep mud holes at Waterdog. I walked this, no desire to end up to the right which is where the slide continues downhill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-dsc_6787-01.jpg  

Trail Gnome
    Rain in the forecast...Friday is a great day to call in sick, and get some trail therapy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Did 54 miles of east Marin, huh? Mixed terrain Wednesday night from San Rafael to Novato and back. It was hard passing moylans 2 x on one ride.

ask
    user

2017: Tngr #1

2017: TNGR #1 is in the books.... small group, mild temps, herodirt, huge hole in Skyline, food by RJ, nice selection of post ride beers too.

Mon-Thurs Weekly Ride Report: March 13-16-not_a_bad_first__tngr_of_the_season._thanks__richard_jacinto_for_the_food__solid_beer_selection_.jpg

ask
    user
    Nice photo! So much green up there... gotta get up to Annadel before it rains again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Watch for deep mud holes at Waterdog. I walked this, no desire to end up to the right which is where the slide continues downhill
    That's the little g-out dip on rambler right?

If you avoid rambler and the lake loop, the rest of water dog is not too bad. But who knows after the next round of rains.

Between that and how busy it was yesterday evening (probably the busiest I've ever seen the place, maybe due to first week of DST and the sun?), I think it's better to drive to Skeggs. Everyone was riding in control, but dealing with oncoming traffic there immensely increases the risk of poison oak.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    Nisene marks is perfect. there are a few hike a bike sections on the fire road climb. nothing major.
    agreed.....

out there thurs and fri and the dirt couldn't be better!