mtbr member
    May 2006

Mission Peak - Mt. Allison near Ed Levin closed

Mt Alison by the Antennas now has siren system. A pre-recorded mesage about you are being recorded.

Too bad, that and the closure at Alum Rock to Sierra Vista were the last two epic around north san Jose/Fremont area.

Btw, Ohlone has been sanitized and widen. Not much quasi singletrack left.

Paper or plastic?
    Are you saying that one cannot go to Mt Allison? Why is there a bench then?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I cant even get to the bench. Really loud police siren on speaker. Also pre recorded message i m being recorded.

GMM
    mtbr member
    The new trail work on the former single track is ridiculous. I'll still keep going though as it's the only trail I can get a ride in on week days.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Ear plugs?

Oddly, this really makes me want to go there. Is it only the peak that's off limits? I'm going to be checking out a native arch. site in Ed Levin soon. Can you ride from there to Mission Peak? Thanks!

Edit: ...and looking at the park map it looks like it's mostly hiker/horsie trails. Shocking!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:22 PM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

he who goes without food
    As I understand the situation if you stay on the Bay Area Ridge Trail you should not have any issue traveling between Ed Levin and Mission Peak. However if you venture toward the communication facility on Mt Allison you enter into private property and could be in trouble and cited.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    On my first month of riding a few decades ago, I took that route. Man, what a waste of time.

That entire East Bay hills network is an area of lost opportunity. Night ride legal though.
    IPA will save America

tnn
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    this path is part of Bay Ridge trail. I don't believe it is closed
    maybe the siren is to warn you not to get into antenna area?

I did it a few times, not very nice. I may do it again to verify this news. btw, keep right after Monument peak. If you jump any fence or gate, probably not legal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1401313109

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by tnn View Post
    this path is part of Bay Ridge trail. I don't believe it is closed
    maybe the siren is to warn you not to get into antenna area?

I did it a few times, not very nice. I may do it again to verify this news. btw, keep right after Monument peak. If you jump any fence or gate, probably not legal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1401313109
    Confirmed with someone else. Antenna area is a private in holding. Funny thing is that there is a bench for viewing the bay from there. Folks have riding up there for years.

my body breaks the falls
    Kind of a misleading title as it's just Mt Allison is closed. The Bay Area Ridge Trail to Ed Levin is open.
    The EBRPD map shows Allison as private property. Odd that they haven't gated it if that's the case. Maybe they don't have a cow problem up there
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Kind of a misleading title as it's just Mt Allison is closed. The Bay Area Ridge Trail to Ed Levin is open.
    The EBRPD map shows Allison as private property. Odd that they haven't gated it if that's the case. Maybe they don't have a cow problem up there
    let us change the title. Don't want to mislead.
    IPA will save America

fc
    That whole area is ebike optimized. Otherwise, it's 95% of the time climbing, 5% poor quality descending. Amazing views though.
    IPA will save America

Rhymes with fartmaster
    LOL I guess my KOM shall stand for a little while longer. 😂😂😂
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anyone know if panorama is even worth the time to check out? Also, counterclockwise or clockwise? Someone posted about it a few years back but not much else has been mentioned and I tend to avoid Mission Peak even though it's my best option occasionally due to time.

fc

Mission Peak - Mt. Allison near Ed Levin closed

Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Anyone know if panorama is even worth the time to check out? Also, counterclockwise or clockwise? Someone posted about it a few years back but not much else has been mentioned and I tend to avoid Mission Peak even though it's my best option occasionally due to time.
    There is your answer.

Everything there is worth checking out once. Just once.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Only when the ground is solid, otherwise it's an ecoli mudfest. Counterclockwise, and exit at the bottom into ohlone. Do not go back up Panorama as this segment is a 20% grade with loose rocks.

tnn
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I rode panorama a few weeks ago. grass was really high, some have thorns . I struggled just to be able to go through the trail. however they usually clean up the trail in the summer to minimal fire hazard. I noticed they started at the bottom already. Hopefully it's done by now

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Only when the ground is solid, otherwise it's an ecoli mudfest. Counterclockwise, and exit at the bottom into ohlone. Do not go back up Panorama as this segment is a 20% grade with loose rocks.

ick... yes the cow patties around those parts is definitely a turnoff. I'll check it out sometime during summer. As FC stated, probably a one time visit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That whole area is ebike optimized. Otherwise, it's 95% of the time climbing, 5% poor quality descending. Amazing views though.
    You have to be joking.

The east side of the peaks is one of the most beautiful, isolated, and historically significant areas in the entire bay, less than an hour away by bike from one of the highest population density areas in the US.

If you can't tolerate riding a bicycle up a hill and you're only satisfied if you go to the weekend warrior tourist traps I agree with you: Mission Peak and the surrounding area sucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    You have to be joking.

The east side of the peaks is one of the most beautiful, isolated, and historically significant areas in the entire bay, less than an hour away by bike from one of the highest population density areas in the US.

If you can't tolerate riding a bicycle up a hill and you're only satisfied if you go to the weekend warrior tourist traps I agree with you: Mission Peak and the surrounding area sucks.
    East Bay views are definitely nice. Just not the trails. What parks are you referring to when you say east of the peaks? Thanks!!

tnn
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    if someone still interest, panaroma is rideable now. they just cleaned up the tall grass

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    You have to be joking.

I've spent the first two years of my biking life riding there, almost everyday so I know the area well.

Like I said, great views. Great views. Crap trails because mostly fire road or straight singletrack maintained by cows. 95% climbing.

What's interesting to me is it's the same trail landscape now as it was about 25 years ago. Not much progress despite many efforts and the sport's acceptance around the world.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by tnn View Post
    if someone still interest, panaroma is rideable now. they just cleaned up the tall grass
    Thank you for the update. I shall check it out.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    I've spent the first two years of my biking life riding there, almost everyday so I know the area well.

Like I said, great views. Great views. Crap trails because mostly fire road or straight singletrack maintained by cows. 95% climbing.

What's interesting to me is it's the same trail landscape now as it was about 25 years ago. Not much progress despite many efforts and the sport's acceptance around the world.
    Actually got worse. The lone single track in the middle has been widened to 8'.

fc
    Actually got worse. The lone single track in the middle has been widened to 8'.

Oh no schit? The one in the trees near the barbed wire?
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    End of section under trees to the main fire road. They also added a ton of gravel where the spring flows in the winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you guys referring to the single track in the back when going up from the Ohlone side?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you for the update. I shall check it out.
    Thanks for the update tnn. FC, if you check it out sometime soon let us know what you think. From time to time, I visit family in the area and while my kids hang out with grandparents, I head out of the area (SouthBay or Pleasanton area). I'll give Panorama a visit if it's a "viable" option.

Paper or plastic?
    Thanks for the update tnn. FC, if you check it out sometime soon let us know what you think. From time to time, I visit family in the area and while my kids hang out with grandparents, I head out of the area (SouthBay or Pleasanton area). I'll give Panorama a visit if it's a "viable" option.
    Make sure to exit Panorama at the bottom via the gate. Single track obliterated is on the north ohlone side

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Make sure to exit Panorama at the bottom via the gate. Single track obliterated is on the north ohlone side

Roger that. Thanks!

Paper or plastic?
    Went and rode panorama today. First time in a few years. Don't bother. Trail has been destroyed by cattle and lack of use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Went and rode panorama today. First time in a few years. Don't bother. Trail has been destroyed by cattle and lack of use.

Thanks for the update... saves me a from a bad ride. A friend of mine also mentioned that even if trail conditions are ok, the sheer amount of cow patties is enough of a deterrent.

tnn
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm in Fremont. so when I don't have time to go anywhere, Mission Peak / Panorama / YSC are the trails to ride. Yes the trail condition is pretty bad because lack of use but I really think if more people ride Panorama, it can get better.

recommend: entrance is at Whitherly Ln, ride up connect to Y.S.C (this is single track), drop back down to Peak trail then on to Panorama and back to Whitherly Ln entrance.