Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mission Peak Fremont, Ca

Spent last night and today with my GF in San Ramon. Today she had a meeting almost all day so I shot down to buy some pedals off a guy in Fremont... another successful CL buy
    Brought my bike along figuring I'd find something to ride down here... the seller turned me on to Mission Peak. He's a roadie and told me he had hiked the trail before but felt that riding it was pretty daunting.
    I figured since I had 4 hrs.. I could always hike the whole thing if I had to.
    Glad to say I only hiked three places... the longest was the rocks just below the peak. I wanted to see what I'd be riding down
    I had a great ride!
    Uphill... 1:15:00
    Downhill the same route (Ohlone College)... 0:11:00
    LOVED the rocks at the top although I did walk two places... being alone... I didn't need to take too many risks... my GF would have been pissed if she had to hunt me down at some E.D.
    Plus... I'm still paying for my broken ribs a few months ago... lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330467938.607753.jpg  

Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330467971.066712.jpg  

mtbr member
    Forgot to post this pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330468155.240974.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes to suffer up that hill...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to have to get up there on a week day sometime. I've only been up there on weekends and there is just too many people. I love the pictures with no one in the background.

mtbr member
    nice view!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oooh, I like it. That's not far from my work. Where did you start/park ?

breadly: You forgot to put your chain on the big ring before snapping the pic.

Bob

mtbr member
    Nice!

I've never made it to the top, only to the bathroom/glider area. I always tell myself i'm going the F'ing top today, by the time I reach the gliders I'm shot and can't barely see straight. Maybe next time I'll make it.

Nice pics.

Edit: 1:15 to the top!! damn!! Right on. It takes me 1:25 to the gliders/Bathroom (Ohlone side)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like this is the way everyone rides it?

Mission Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

Bob

Paper or plastic?
    The Peak itself is off limits to bikes, not that anybody enforces it, although the helicopter may. Personally, I'd rather go to Monument Peak since there is nobody that way most of the time (all the hikers go to Mission Peak), and you get the Peak all to yourself. If you want to not follow the law, Horse Heaven is a fun downhill with one really steep part.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I went to the college to park and start... didn't have $2 worth of exact change or bills and the parking permit machines don't give change. I found out Campus Security doesn't give change at there place either. I had to drive back out of campus and find a place where I could break a five... just went to STARBUTTS across the street
    I drove to the " last" entrance and went up by the pool. Parked, rode/walked up to the paved road, went left past some construction trailers and found the entrance.

Yeah, the ride up was killer, but up here in Humboldt seems like all we have is uphill! LOL Still, I had to hike a couple of short sections where I either stopped for the view... right at the bottom of a short steep section, or after the outhouse up high where it was just too steep at one point (I was sucking wind bad at that point lol)
    Then there was the rocks which I hiked up through checking my downhill line as I went.

I did ride out to the glider pad on my way up, btw.

I checked around the web for info on this trail and never saw anything about bikes not being allowed at the peak. I even checked the park website, so either I just missed that info or it's not out there to find?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330537350.124805.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonker View Post
    Oooh, I like it. That's not far from my work. Where did you start/park ?

breadly: You forgot to put your chain on the big ring before snapping the pic.

Bob
    I'm not ashamed of my granny gear ;-)

I usually ride in the Ohlone side. I ride from my house, but you can park on Mission Blvd outside of the Ohlone campus for free.

mtbr member
    I heard of other places to park, but I was thinking I might slip into their gym after the ride and shower. I figure with the prices schools charge for parking... a little warm water to rinse off the dirt and stink isn't going to cost them much at all. I just left after the ride though since I wanted to get back to where my GF was training and anyway, she's been around me all sweaty before ... just not crammed inside a car with me like that for 8 hrs though LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
    I checked around the web for info on this trail and never saw anything about bikes not being allowed at the peak. I even checked the park website, so either I just missed that info or it's not out there to find?
    The distinction between bike-legal and no-bike trails is indicated on the official park map.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

Lusus Naturae
    I also skip the initial rocky peak and head around the backside. Be sure to take the single-track off-shoot behind the hill for some variety.

You can ride pretty far and its a great workout. I find that the ride chews up your brakes a bit too much on the way back. Once again no concept of common-sense shared single-track on this side of the bay.

mtbr member
    I looked at the map and I see the distinction now... really matters what device I'm looking at it on and whether I've got my glasses on of course it would also help if they had made the different designations... different colors!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I found that on your way down on stanford side, take the peak meadow trail down instead will save you some brake pad burning. Less hikers to stop for and actually some good up and down before it start going down. Adds to an otherwise kind of boring ride down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
    of course it would also help if they had made the different designations... different colors!
    True that! "Short-dashed line versus slightly-shorter-dashed line" isn't exactly a distinction that jumps out at the viewer. I don't know what they were thinking...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Now do it at night.. it's open until 10pm and is an awesome night ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Now do it at night.. it's open until 10pm and is an awesome night ride.
    I can imagine that would be a cool ride!
    Cow-dodging in the dark! Well, at least until my lights show me what that large dark blob is up ahead...

Where I live, when riding at night, I only have to dodge mountain lions, bears, and the occasional Big Foot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How do the grades compare to Kennedy? much steeper?

Paper or plastic?
    Stanford side is definitely steeper and shorter than Kennedy. The Ohlone feels slightly steeper than Kennedy, although it's probably about the same.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2006
    24% at the worst part. This occurs between the third and the fourth bench. I always thought Mission Peak Stanford side is worst than Kennedy minus the last wall and the rollers after the top. But others have said otherwise.

At Stanford side, traction is the biggest problem. You can have all the leg power but if you dont know the line or the proper technique, is no good. After all these rain though, traction should be superb. Give it one full day to dry though, otherwise it can still get somewhat muddy.

mtbr member
    I find the section between 2nd and 3rd bench is hardest for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifer View Post
    How do the grades compare to Kennedy? much steeper?
    Kennedy has some breaks between the actual climbing. Stanford doesn't really have any breaks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast