Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How would this compare to Kennedy? I've gone up to the summit on my CX without a problem, wouldn't try DogMeat on the CX though. I wouldn't be asking all this if we didnt have this butt load of rain!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    When climbing, 1/4 mile after the the restroom, Rambler is the really steep 1/4 mile fireroad on your right that takes you up right below the Peak (north side). The hikers usually go straight up the face and then up the rockgarden. Interestingly enough, the trail used by hikers to go up was not an official trail originally, but then again hikers can go wherever they want, so the trail was made official later on. Now, we have this 30' wide trail/scar up the face that erodes further every year.

Seriously, there's nothing really techy on the Ohlone side, unless you consider riding down stairs in Ohlone college techy. If you want some bonus trail on that side, you can go on Panorama trail, but it's usually underused, overgrown, and littered with cow crap. The good news is that the district finally got authorization to install a gate at the bottom to exit easily.
    Thanks for the directions. I recall it being some rocky area with some gravel near the college. I couldn't really tell how big the rocks were, as I was not used to a headlight and the lack of depth cues. I will have to see it during the day to really tell. Looking at my Strava log of it, I think it was a portion of the Ysc trail. I probably won't be going back that way, as I don't like riding road and the only point to climb MP is for the steep workout.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    How would this compare to Kennedy? I've gone up to the summit on my CX without a problem, wouldn't try DogMeat on the CX though. I wouldn't be asking all this if we didnt have this butt load of rain!
    Shorter, but steeper. There is a wall in the middle, instead of at the end. The rest spot is after the wall, it drops from about 20% to 9% or so with a breather before it goes back over 10% to the Y. That's the spot to catch your breath. There are small spots here and there, which I use too, but they are like 5ft or so where I stop pedaling and coast a bit to recover. It's very short. Kennedy is easier from that regard, but the grind eventually catches up. MP is like getting beat on the head instead of being knifed in the back.

It is also much looser, IMO. I get nervous doing down on the Stanford side, with 2.1" MTB tires, but a washout is a fairly large fear of mine (my big crashes are always washout and then a highside crash after I grab brake and stand the bike up). My last crash at STCP was a highside after getting sketchy on the gravel after a jump. It's always the same crash for me, at different places....getting really tired of it, to be honest.

Going up will be fine with CX. Going down, I dunno but I wouldn't do it.

mtbr member
    Please tell me how to get here, where to park, etc.
    The answers to those can also be seen here.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erginguney View Post
    The answers to those can also be seen here.
    Ooohh... Thanks!

BTW, thank you for compiling all the info on our trails here. I've visited your site a number of times, and on behalf of the Non-Tagalog Speaking Fat Filipino Haoles (NTSFFH), we salute you!

mtbr member
    Hey Dion, Personally i think Kennedy is harder. Yes, MP has some steep sections but there short. Put your head down and grind thens its over. Downside with MP is the vast numbers of wandering hikers that think it's cool to walk side by side in groups of 3-4. I've come to accept that as the norm out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post

Going up will be fine with CX. Going down, I dunno but I wouldn't do it.
    This . I once went up the backside on the road bike and came down Stanford. Walked most of it. Not enough brake and you're grabbing them all the time = real good chance of blowing tubes because of heat.

Mind you, the Ohlone side may be a bit longer, but there are some stupidly steep sections as well, and it is rougher/rockier. Still really fun on the road bike though. Also, gearing is important as traction is limited with the skinny tires. I run a standard crank with a 12-32 cogset in the back and 39/32 up the walls on a dry summer day is impossible (for me) as I had to stand and when I stood I would lose traction for a quick second and have to sit back down.

mtbr member
    BTW, thank you for compiling all the info on our trails here. I've visited your site a number of times, and on behalf of the Non-Tagalog Speaking Fat Filipino Haoles (NTSFFH), we salute you!
    My pleasure! That's probably one of the more colorful props I've received in response to my website so far.

The more useful the site becomes for everyone, the more satisfaction I get from doing it...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    When did Frank's Hill become the Rambler?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    When did Frank's Hill become the Rambler?
    A few hours ago when I made the name up. I meant to say Mission Mangler, but I tend to ramble and mangle English. So there.

Who's Frank?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright... I'm sitting in the day use parking lot at Ohlone right now. I scoped out both the Stanford and Ohlone entrances and took a look at the trails. They look more CX worthy than I thought. More like a dirty road ride than epic MTBing, but good for some old school cardio climbs.

I also drove through the neighborhood and questioned "Who the fcuk lives in these insane mansions?" and "Why can't any of my clients be these rich mansion dwellers?!"

As long as there isn't any DogMeat'ish climbs at MP, I think the bike with the pizza cutters would do the job here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pizza cutters work. Just 1st and 3rd walls on stanford dont offer much traction

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Pizza cutters work. Just 1st and 3rd walls on stanford dont offer much traction
    My fat body with low tire pressures offer much traction.

Wēk Ss
    My fat body with low tire pressures offer much traction.
    Ride it!

The cows eat CX bikers, be forewarned. They only let MTB'ers pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamholland View Post
    ride it!

The cows eat cx bikers, be forewarned. They only let mtb'ers pass.
    Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332211933.736972.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is a pic from the glider launch bench...

Mission Peak Fremont, Ca-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332212071.063086.jpg

(it's my current desktop background)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just completed a ride from Stanford gate > Ohlone gate and back, conditions are as good as they get. My only worry was the single track area on the Ohlone side but it was perfect! All though the cows had their way on the upper part of the single track, but once past that...supreme!

mtbr member
    Damn, how many feet was that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    Damn, how many feet was that?
    10.1 miles, 3,122 feet, and completed it in 1:23. With the wet weather and having a slight cold last week, it's been a couple of weeks since I had a hard ride...felt good! I might hit MP again tomorrow if you're interested.

Edit: Nice pictures!

mtbr member
    2 cop outs coming...

I'm slow (granny gear for me the whole way). I hate holding people back. There is no way I can even come close to hanging with you. I'm 1:20 from the Ohlone pool to the gliders.

My chain broke on my last ride (MP) A new one should be here Friday.

I am down to go though. I just have to warn you that I'm slow compared to others. I'm working on that though.

Oh and 1:23, damn!!!! That's fast. Up Stanford, down Ohlone, back up Ohlone and back down Stanford. Crazy! I gotta do that one day. First I need to make it up Stanford with out stopping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    2 cop outs coming...

I'm slow (granny gear for me the whole way). I hate holding people back. There is no way I can even come close to hanging with you. I'm 1:20 from the Ohlone pool to the gliders.

My chain broke on my last ride (MP) A new one should be here Friday.

I am down to go though. I just have to warn you that I'm slow compared to others. I'm working on that though.

Oh and 1:23, damn!!!! That's fast. Up Stanford, down Ohlone, back up Ohlone and back down Stanford. Crazy! I gotta do that one day. First I need to make it up Stanford with out stopping.
    No worries about taking your time. Tomorrow I plan on working on some leg strengthening and pushing a bigger gear on my FS bike. Maybe Newton or Dion will join us for a ride..guys?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Ride it!

The cows eat CX bikers, be forewarned. They only let MTB'ers pass.
    Pfft. Cows.

Big whoop. I deal with escapee cholas on a daily basis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    No worries about taking your time. Tomorrow I plan on working on some leg strengthening and pushing a bigger gear on my FS bike. Maybe Newton or Dion will join us for a ride..guys?
    STCP is open for business. I was out doing a CX loop today and discovered the fun.

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm in for a ride. Not sure where yet.

mtbr member
    Dion! Dude I am super glad your out training! I am not sure it is really you though because of a few things. #1- your not trolling exclusively for ladies at the Muriel Wright Civilized Lady Training Center. #2- I recall seeing a squishy thing resembling a suspension fork on a regular looking MTB. #3- You are at Mission Peak and not at Santa Teresa. So my question is this. Who in the H-E-L-L are you and what have you done with Dion? I will give in that you post some great stuff in his place but that isn't enough to satisfy me.
    They never made the "Slowster"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast