Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Kennedy has some breaks between the actual climbing. Stanford doesn't really have any breaks.
    Second that. I remember one time, a first time rider ask me if there was a flat area to recover. I answered "yes at the top".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    I find the section between 2nd and 3rd bench is hardest for me.
    Each (Stanford) bench to bench has a segment.

1st to 2nd (.3mi / 14.0%)
    Mission Peak (1st Bench -> 2nd Bench)
    2nd to 3rd (.3mi / 14.1%)
    Mission Peak (2nd Bench -> 3rd Bench)
    3rd to 4th (.5mi / 13.6%)
    Mission Peak (3rd Bench -> 4th Bench)
    4th to Y (.5mi / 11.3%)
    Mission Peak (4th Bench -> Y)
    Y to Summit (.5mi / 13.4%)
    Y to Mission Peak

Personally, I find the 1st to 2nd bench segment the most difficult/important due to the fact that this segment determines how well you will climb the rest of the segments. Push too hard here and you are toast the rest of the way up. Ideally you want to finish any climb with something left in the tank. My approach has always been to ride conservatively to the 2nd bench then let it open from there. If you look at some of the best times up Stanford (to the 'Y'), most of the riders' pace increase as they approach the summit.

If you are struggling for a PR here start slower, ride at your pace and don't stop at the 'Y'. Keep on going and ride up the Mangler to the summit. If you begin with the mentality that you are going to continue on and climb the Mangler to the summit you will intuitively start more conservatively. After a few nonstop rides to the summit your time to the 'Y' will improve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post
    Each (Stanford) bench to bench has a segment.

1st to 2nd (.3mi / 14.0%)
    Mission Peak (1st Bench -> 2nd Bench)
    2nd to 3rd (.3mi / 14.1%)
    Mission Peak (2nd Bench -> 3rd Bench)
    3rd to 4th (.5mi / 13.6%)
    Mission Peak (3rd Bench -> 4th Bench)
    4th to Y (.5mi / 11.3%)
    Mission Peak (4th Bench -> Y)
    Y to Summit (.5mi / 13.4%)
    Y to Mission Peak

Personally, I find the 1st to 2nd bench segment the most difficult/important due to the fact that this segment determines how well you will climb the rest of the segments. Push too hard here and you are toast the rest of the way up. Ideally you want to finish any climb with something left in the tank. My approach has always been to ride conservatively to the 2nd bench then let it open from there. If you look at some of the best times up Stanford (to the 'Y'), most of the riders' pace increase as they approach the summit.

If you are struggling for a PR here start slower, ride at your pace and don't stop at the 'Y'. Keep on going and ride up the Mangler to the summit. If you begin with the mentality that you are going to continue on and climb the Mangler to the summit you will intuitively start more conservatively. After a few nonstop rides to the summit your time to the 'Y' will improve.
    Great advice Dennis! Stanford is a difficult ride no matter what, but following the map Dennis has provided will be the best approach...IMO. My best time came with a very casual start with no intentions of a PR. Once I reached the second bench I realized my average speed was on pace for a good time, from there full effort.

Another great tool for helping with PR's is a GPS unit, at least for me. I typically know what average speed I need to maintain in order to achieve a PR. If I find myself well behind I'll typically abandon the attempt and finish with a moderate pace and extend the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Second that. I remember one time, a first time rider ask me if there was a flat area to recover. I answered "yes at the top".
    Once you rode it enough times, you will come to realize that there are a few flat sections in between those steep ones. But usually you just came off of the really steep part and even a slight incline will look like an incline.

Agree with Dpham. Best to keep consistency from gate to second bench. Actually I did say to the third bench, and then hammer/suffer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifer View Post
    How do the grades compare to Kennedy? much steeper?
    I personally think Kennedy is a much tougher ride when attempting PR's. It's a long sustained climb that nails you with a 1-2-3 punch at the end. Stanford is steeper but definitely shorter, but both are equally painful.

Wēk Ss
    There are plenty of recovery points. Just don't pedal as hard. :P Recovery is between 3rd and 4th bench.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I personally think Kennedy is a much tougher ride when attempting PR's. It's a long sustained climb that nails you with a 1-2-3 punch at the end. Stanford is steeper but definitely shorter, but both are equally painful.
    Kennedy drains more, but Stanford hurts much more for the 1st timers. The first time I rode Stanford (and you were there), I kept thinking, "this **** is insane....and those cows". The 2nd time is much more tolerable when you know what you are getting into, but the cows are still there walking around in front of you.

Having ridden Stanford 2x and Kennedy 3x, Kennedy is harder due to the ending and being longer, just as Alan states. For a casual ride, Kennedy is easier as it rolls more until the end. The middle part of Stanford is a real test.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    wow , great pic. I have never been up there but you have now inspired me to check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    anybody did Stanford on single speed? what's your time? just curious because i can't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    anybody did Stanford on single speed? what's your time? just curious because i can't.
    Attempted it yesterday on a 29er with 34-18 gearing and I barely made it to the 1st bench. In my defense, I'm getting over a cold and tried to complete it seated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dpham, how was the condition at stanford? Muddy?

Must have been windy too. Thinking to hit it later today

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Dpham, how was the condition at stanford? Muddy?

Must have been windy too. Thinking to hit it later today
    I'm thinking of going soon, maybe. I would be bringing my Blur 1x10 and attempting a leg workout today. No use going for a quick time with the wind gust blowing in your face the whole time. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm thinking of going soon, maybe. I would be bringing my Blur 1x10 and attempting a leg workout today. No use going for a quick time with the wind gust blowing in your face the whole time. Let me know.
    Gents, the trails were in good condition. Looking out my window now, it is windy for sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bailing. Sorry guys, i remember last time out with this kind of wind wasnt fun at all. Hope you guys have a good ride.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post
    Looking out my window now, it is windy for sure.
    Maybe a little...

$500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Maybe a little...

that sock is pretty straight..

mtbr member
    rode there with a 20mph head wind once. Not fun at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That view is incredible. Definitely will be doing this ride when I'm back in the Bay

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Okay. Please tell me how to get here, where to park, etc. I have a TON of clients in Fremont/Union City and I work up there all the time. Sometimes, I have long breaks between clients or have meetings that end at weird times - and by time I get back to San Jose, it's too late to go for a ride.

This sounds like a good run if you're hankering for some trail riding. How is it on a 'cross bike? (reference: I do all trails at STCP on my 'cross bike, so a little techy on the pizza cutters doesn't bother me! )

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Okay. Please tell me how to get here, where to park, etc. I have a TON of clients in Fremont/Union City and I work up there all the time. Sometimes, I have long breaks between clients or have meetings that end at weird times - and by time I get back to San Jose, it's too late to go for a ride.

This sounds like a good run if you're hankering for some trail riding. How is it on a 'cross bike? (reference: I do all trails at STCP on my 'cross bike, so a little techy on the pizza cutters doesn't bother me! )
    It's primarily fireroad. There's some techy singletrack down near Ohlone college, but I can't recall where it is. I've only been on that side once.

Mission Peak trail map

mtbr member
    3 ways to hit it up...

1 - Park at the parking lot (or near by if full) at the top of Stanford Ave in Fremont. Go through the gate and head up. This is the hardest, most painful, grueling route ( which is also the most popular).

2 - Park on Mission Blvd. at Pine or on Pine. This is the entrance to Ohlone College. Ride up the road until you get to a gravely road (YSC Trail) on the right. Take that up. You can't miss it. There is a huge sign that basically says welcome to Mission Peak and trail maps. After the 2nd cow gate (ver quick - only about 1/3mi) almost immediately make a u turn and head up. This is considered "the Ohlone side". This is the not as hard as the Stanford entrance side.

3 - Park on Mill Creek Rd. And Linmore Dr. Ride up Mill Creek Rd until you hit the first gate (2.8mi). Hop over and that is where it meets up with "the Ohlone side". You will immediately start to climb the short section of single track. Continue up to the peak.
    ...or go up Mill Creek Rd. (past the first gate) until you hit the "Gliders access gate". It's the second gate (about 3.4mi) on Mill Creek Rd. Hop over and follow the fire road up. This also meets up with the "Ohlone side". You will miss the short single track if you take the 2nd Mill Creek Rd. option. Both of these Mill Creek options are easier than the Stanford and Ohlone side.
    If you take one of these options, on your way down you can go down the Ohlone side and hit Mission Blvd. Take a right on Mission Blvd and then a right on Mill Creek Rd. and there is you car. Or just bomb back down Mill Creek to your car (pretty fun actually).

...or if you just want a all road climb (1,600ft @ 4.3mi.), go to the top of Mill Creek Rd. until it dead ends at the Rangers house gate and vineyards.
    This is the easiest out of all the options but still a decent mid day spin.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    It's primarily fireroad. There's some techy singletrack down near Ohlone college, but I can't recall where it is. I've only been on that side once.

Mission Peak trail map
    There is no such thing on the Ohlone side. The only thing remotely technical is the rock garden after Rambler, but that's technically roaming, although nobody cares other than the guys in the helicopter.

Dion, the fireroads can be very slippery due to gravel. Zen Turtle did it on his CX a few times. I definitely wouldn't. There are two entrances: Stanford Ave (just Google map it) and Ohlone college. Stanford is shorter and steeper and all fireroad. Ohlone has a little bit of single track in the middle. For Ohlone College, you can park on Mission and just climb from there.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    There is no such thing on the Ohlone side. The only thing remotely technical is the rock garden after Rambler, but that's technically roaming, although nobody cares other than the guys in the helicopter.
    Oh? I don't know where I was. I was being guided at night. Good to know. Actually it wasn't singletrack (recollection is foggy), but it was techy. I can't find "Rambler" on the map. Where is that?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Oh? I don't know where I was. I was being guided at night. Good to know. Actually it wasn't singletrack (recollection is foggy), but it was techy. I can't find "Rambler" on the map. Where is that?
    When climbing, 1/4 mile after the the restroom, Rambler is the really steep 1/4 mile fireroad on your right that takes you up right below the Peak (north side). The hikers usually go straight up the face and then up the rockgarden. Interestingly enough, the trail used by hikers to go up was not an official trail originally, but then again hikers can go wherever they want, so the trail was made official later on. Now, we have this 30' wide trail/scar up the face that erodes further every year.

Seriously, there's nothing really techy on the Ohlone side, unless you consider riding down stairs in Ohlone college techy. If you want some bonus trail on that side, you can go on Panorama trail, but it's usually underused, overgrown, and littered with cow crap. The good news is that the district finally got authorization to install a gate at the bottom to exit easily.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Give me a heads up if you can and I'll take the journey with ya. Bring your geared HT and I'll take the FS 1x10. For comparison purposes, you could say it's similar to Boundary at STCP but longer. There are a couple of spots that will give you some recovery time and I suggest you take it. You'll need to have a little something left over in the reserves to complete the final climb, somewhat steep, rocky, and loose. Overall it's a great workout and it's a love/hate relationship.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast