mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Mission Peak to Ed Levin Park

I finally got around to circling Mission Peak and Ed Levin park. I entered Mission Peak through the Ohlone college side and traversed out of Ed Levin in Milpitas. This was my first trip around the parks.

On the Ed Levin side, I got a little confused and ended up coming down the trail marked for horses (no bikes I think). The trail forks at the towers near Ed Levin. One goes to right (marked open to bikes) and the other to the left (marked for horses). But the right trail seems to exit out into Fremont.

Anyone familiar with that area? Does the right trail go down to Fremont and around somehow??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltijymZGrs
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

More Torque
    Nice video; looks like you had a good time. Ed Levin is the red headed step child of the county parks system. Lots of potential, but oft neglected by the county and abused by cattle. Its best use is to complete a loop from MP, as you did. I'm not sure when the master plan will come up for review, but I'm hoping it will be an opportunity to increase the bike access there, as it is a link in the chain to get back toward Sierra Vista and Grant.

There's pretty much only one bike legal trail there, and it looks like you were on it; I'm not aware of anything else that drops out to Fremont. Tularcitos, which is not open to bikes, does parallel old Calaveras, which takes drops back into Milpitas.

-D

mtbr member
    Ed Levin is in my backyard. It has always irked me that there is barely any bike access. My understanding is that one trail that has bike access is there only because to obtain funding it must be multi usage to be part of the Bay Trail network.

Its a shame because it has alot of promise, no one is there ever. Milpitas has no destination park, this one has a small lake and could be like Vasona in Los Gatos, but because of some sort of wierd politics it won't open up access.

Part of the reason why property values in Milpitas aren't as high as the rest of the bay area.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

Lusus Naturae
    I did some riding at Ed Levin but starting from the neighborhood down the hill. Climbed up the pavement and then up that hella steep stuff you were coming down, past the cow-stopper grate you show in your video but shortly after that I turned around, I was beat! I wanted to climb all the way up and then come back on Mission.

I believe there is a legal route that goes around the south-western border of Ed Levin. It is a real shame about these parks, as they are nothing but urban cow pastures with minimal appeal to the general public ... unless you're on a horse.

Paper or plastic?
    I don't think that equestrians go there either. The whole area is barren and devoid of any attractive features.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Cool video. What trail takes you down from that 3rd tower? Is that the Bay Area Ridge Trail? After you come back down the gravel road from the tower, just head right?

thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ There is only one trail from the 3rd tower, which is the one I took at first. It curves around below the tower and you can see the complete path below. It looked like it exits out into Fremont, which was why I turned around and got on the other path, which diverges near the 2nd tower. But looking at the map, it turns out that trail actually curves back around towards the lake at the bottom.

Yes - it is the Bay Area Ridge Trail. I'll try to stay on it next time I do the loop.
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This time of year, the hills above Ed Levin are really pretty. The views are absolutely stunning. And as most of have said already, its really empty there. I wish they would just open it all up to biking.

Mission peak was crowded but as soon as you head towards Ed Levin, I saw maybe a handful of people the rest of the way down.
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Thanks re: route. Agree it's quiet up there...minus 2 coyotes wandering about I saw on Friday afternoon.

I'll have to try that loop one of these Fridays.