Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ It's official: The Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well in the MidPen!

We get the trails--and speed limits--that we deserve...
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Actually the bond measure specifically WILL NOT be used to preserve the tower.

MROSD still wants it gone in the worst way... (they're giving a group a few years to come up with the funding to shore it up---if that fails it's "curtains")

But seeing your death-ray graphic leads me to propose that the cube become a shrine to all those LEO's whose job it is to use radar. Maybe that way MidPen will see it fit to keep the structure!?!?
    $300M, in addition to their annual take of over $25M, is a bit much without clearly defined milestones. Yeah, and about that cube, a good friend is the head of Umunhum Conservancy | Dedicated to preserving and restoring Mt. Umunhum and its historic Radar Tower and I have donated. I voted "no" on AA.
    Last edited by karld; 06-09-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Nice to hear from Midpen that AA passed - barely. LOTS of planning left to do but I've heard from inside that they understand the role of MTB. Support from MTBers is the only reason it passed. :-)

If you want to stop radar guns then convince hikers and equestrians they aren't necessary. Don't pick on the rangers who have to deal with them - you deal with the other trail users if you want change.

15 mph means less injuries for rangers to respond to and less user conflicts. Amazing, just like speed limits on roads. What a surprise.

Jim
    How can you be that daft?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Is now still the time?
    Now that the foreplay is over...well, you know what comes next.

The rational expectation is more of the same old lame.

Just keep riding!
    SOrCerer

Mtn View, CA
    Article in today's Merc says AA passed with 68.7% of the vote. It passed by only 1488 votes.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm so glad measure AA passed. Here are some new trails to look forward to:
    Purisima to the Sea trail - multi-use
    El Corte de Madero - Ridge trail - hiking/biking trails
    La Honda - hiking/biking trails
    Windy Hill - increase multi-use trails
    Stevens Creek Trail - middle section (under 280 and Stevens Creek Blvd) and extension through Pichetti as multi-use trail
    New trails to connect Big Basin to Butano, Portola, Russian Ridge and Skyline.
    Saratoga to the Sea trail
    Even if many of these will be 6 feet wide multi-use trails, it still will be nice to have all these extra trails. Let's hope it's not going to take 10 years to get these build.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    Even if many of these will be 6 feet wide multi-use trails, it still will be nice to have all these extra trails. Let's hope it's not going to take 10 years to get these build.
    Sorry to be a PITA. but NONE of these are committed projects and none have schedules. If they were a Silicon Valley start-up they'd get $10M at a time with very specific goals and milestones. A huge wad of cash (in addition to their regular $25M+ annual operating budget) and a fuzzy "priority list" ensures business as usual. I look forward to learning how the independent oversight group will be determined and how one of us might be nominated or selected. if someone finds out, please post it here!

It's about showing up.
    I am not sure when some of us are going to learn that this is how these large districts, in response to a community much larger than mtb, work. As a portion of the general voting population we don't add up to much. In the end, though, to make the philosophical changes in these Park folk takes generations; literally.

At the work table, at meetings, our influence can be much greater. It takes countless hours of influence and interaction. There are very few short-term gains of the type most of us want. We'd rather be riding. So, few want to do that work. It is pretty much the same with trail work but that is another forum.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 06-10-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It looks like Measure AA may have loss, yesterday the vote stood at 66.28% yes/33.72% no, they needed 66.33% yes. I would suspect there will be a recount.

(aka "grace")
    Quote Originally Posted by louiemtb View Post
    It looks like Measure AA may have loss, yesterday the vote stood at 66.28% yes/33.72% no, they needed 66.33% yes. I would suspect there will be a recount.
    Maybe you're looking at San Mateo's votes. The district also includes parts of Santa Clara County and a tiny bit of Santa Cruz County too.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louiemtb View Post
    they needed 66.33% yes.
    66.67% is not it?

I am disappointed with IMBA supporting it. Will not be renewing my membership.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Grace, you are right, I bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lkgeo View Post
    Maybe you're looking at San Mateo's votes. The district also includes parts of Santa Clara County and a tiny bit of Santa Cruz County too.

(aka "grace")
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I am disappointed with IMBA supporting it. Will not be renewing my membership.
    If Midpen surprises you and adds some new mtb-accessible mileage through our local efforts, &/or if IMBA generates results you appreciate in other areas, I hope you'll be as willing to change your mind in the other direction and re-up.

Speaking of IMBA: if y'all know someone who's passionate about adding mtb access around here and would be great at local advocacy, they're looking for a new northern cal director (Tom Ward's replacement): https://www.imba.com/norcal-region-director

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8