Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    The only enforcement reports I've read that involve confiscation are where the cyclist tries to outrun the ranger and the santa clara county/san mateo county sheriff's offices are called in to assist.

I think there was some confiscation going on in Marin in the late 90s/early 2000s when GGNRA switched trail use designations to ban bikes by default. This thread is funny and sad at the same time: Fines? in Marin Headlands
    I personally know 4 people who have had their bikes confiscated in the Point Reyes National Seashore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    The only enforcement reports I've read that involve confiscation are where the cyclist tries to outrun the ranger and the santa clara county/san mateo county sheriff's offices are called in to assist.

I think there was some confiscation going on in Marin in the late 90s/early 2000s when GGNRA switched trail use designations to ban bikes by default. This thread is funny and sad at the same time: Fines? in Marin Headlands
    I just read through that thread. Sad indeed. If anything more trails in Marin have been closed to bikes since then.

Also funny to note Fairfaxianís rant on being respectful. Out of the 4 State Parks trails slated to open to cycling only one, Bills trail may be opened to cycling.

The process began in 2006, was completely derailed by the MCL of 2009. The compromise was to open Bills to cycling after changes were made to the trail. This work began in 2012 and has not been completed. It is possible, but unlikely that the trail will finally open as a multi use trail in 2018.

Considering the rant was sometime in 2007, it is indeed funny and sad reading it over 10 years later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I personally know 4 people who have had their bikes confiscated in the Point Reyes National Seashore.
    Yes, the National Park Service has been known to confiscate bikes ridden (off-road) in lands that they manage. One famous example is the legendary "Sedona 5", who had the balls to try to poach a singletrack trail down into the Grand Canyon.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Midpen on a ticketing rampage again-confiscated-bikes-0118.jpg

This was a big day indeed in San Diego. I'm not sure how things have developed since that time.
    IPA will save America

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Next big thing: "Stealth" technology for bicycles.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    It's called leaveing the Damn Strava off.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Confiscated-bikes-0118.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	1165571

This was a big day indeed in San Diego. I'm not sure how things have developed since that time.
    Trespassing however unintentional or established on a US Military base (USMC none the less) is not the same as accessing pubic land set aside for preservation AND recreation.

But I'm guessing this is what Bay Area off road cycling is going to look like inside of 20 years.

mtbr member
    I ride like a grandma with a walker when I ride at Fremont Older now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    I actually feel bad for the Rangers for having to enforce a stupid ass rule. I live in a couple of different places (Idaho and Georgia) as well as the Bay Area and only in the Bay Area do I feel like I'm breaking the law 90% of the time when I ride dirt. Even SoCal is better than this.
    I've chatted with some of those guys "off the record". Many of them are MTBers too, and don't like doing radar duty. Management requires it...likely to placate a few vocal hikers more than for the revenue.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I give em a HIGH FIVE. 75 years old on some of the awesome folks out there.

Awesom Subaru commercial these days about a dude meeting his grandpa for surfing...
    Thank you! I'm over 50, just bought a new Subie, and ride an old MTB that was given to me for free after I destroyed my cheap Hard Rock

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by karld View Post
    Thank you! I'm over 50, just bought a new Subie, and ride an old MTB that was given to me for free after I destroyed my cheap Hard Rock
    pfft... over 50? Thtat's the new 40. You're still peaking.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yup, still out at Fremont Older today. Got a warning for going 18....

mtbr member
    Midpen is hiring a new chief ranger. Tell your friends.

https://www.calopps.org/sites/defaul...f%20Ranger.pdf

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post

That's pretty good. Change is good right?
    IPA will save America

More Torque
    Donít ride MidPen much, for the reasons mentioned in this thread.
    First time up mt Um this weekend on the road bike, and I got yelled at from afar by the ranger for riding my bike at slow walking speed on the 8í wide paved summit path.
    No signs that I saw anywhere calling this out. Nice public outreach for a newly opened destination. Donít get this attitude or vibe at other local parks or preserves. A shame...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Got lectured a few days back at top of Purisima Creek. After a nice couple loops to Grabtown and Whittemore, walked the upper part with my helmet in hands. Apparently I need to wear it when in the general vicinity of my bike. Did not get a ticket though. Very smug and annoying ranger sitting in his truck on top.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post

Position requirement: Negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That's pretty good. Change is good right?
    I wonder if that is ranger Brenden who is retiring? That guy was obcessed with busting mountain bikers enjoying the whole park. I don't think he will be missed by the mountain bike community.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Position requirement: Negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
    I saw that too. Plus the oversight of 41 other employees. Laundry list of prerequisites; LEO, EMT and fire service to name a few. $156K tops to start which in the Bay Area one won't qualify to purchase a median priced home.

Dream on MidPen...
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Ranger out with radar gun on Lawrence Creek just above the start to Blue Blossom. Wonderful use of resources there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ride in CA (bay area) and CT (Guilford), and there is no comparison. One is like a nazi occupied forest, the other welcomes trail maintenance, thanks instead of tickets.

Until the gestapo inspired land management gets replaced, one has to just "go around" the rules. Respect those that make sense (not riding muddy trails, not strava-tarding on weekends, yield, stop for hikers) and avoid "the long arm of the law" on those that don't. Quietly.
    Never limited by common sense...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    i ride in ca (bay area) and ct (guilford), and there is no comparison. One is like a nazi occupied forest, the other welcomes trail maintenance, thanks instead of tickets.

Until the gestapo inspired land management gets replaced, one has to just "go around" the rules. Respect those that make sense (not riding muddy trails, not strava-tarding on weekends, yield, stop for hikers) and avoid "the long arm of the law" on those that don't. Quietly.
    #resist

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    Until the gestapo inspired land management gets replaced
    4 out of 7 are up for election this year. Let's do some replacing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Mommy I want to grow up and be a Midpen Ranger. I want to save mountain bikers from high speed crashes. I can't do that working for other land managers?
    ...and drive a shiny new truck and prolly get a plush Defined Benefit Pension at a young age. I voted against their $300M Bond a few years ago.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    4 out of 7 are up for election this year. Let's do some replacing.

I think Friday was the deadline to declare candidacy, wasnít it?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by karld View Post
    ...and drive a shiny new truck and prolly get a plush Defined Benefit Pension at a young age. I voted against their $300M Bond a few years ago.
    I encouraged everyone to vote no on Measure AA. I was lambasted on MTBR because of it....

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I encouraged everyone to vote no on Measure AA. I was lambasted on MTBR because of it....
    And that's why you moved to Seattle, fly planes, and jump bikes over big things.
    the rest of us just sit here and bash ebikes.

Sent from somewhere out there.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeahhhhhh! Seattle is so awesome for riding! Go Davey! Go Davey! Just get the traffic figured out, and enjoy Seatle! And buy lots of goretex. We are stuck in the bay, sitting in traffic, to ride illegal trails hoping we dont get $400 tickets! Just could not resist Split Rock last week, it was awesome! Gestaldt House was "no expense spared", as I escaped without a $400 ticket! I felt like I found $400 by NOT getting caught. Yeahhhh! Some young ranger prick at Skeggs stopped us last summer for riding without a helmet, uphill at 3mph, in 92 degree heat and only wrote a warning ticket, and made us stop for 40 minutes. Winning! What a prick that midpen ranger.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Yeahhhhhh! Seattle is so awesome for riding! Go Davey! Go Davey! Just get the traffic figured out, and enjoy Seatle! And buy lots of goretex. We are stuck in the bay, sitting in traffic, to ride illegal trails hoping we dont get $400 tickets! Just could not resist Split Rock last week, it was awesome! Gestaldt House was "no expense spared", as I escaped without a $400 ticket! I felt like I found $400 by NOT getting caught. Yeahhhh! Some young ranger prick at Skeggs stopped us last summer for riding without a helmet, uphill at 3mph, in 92 degree heat and only wrote a warning ticket, and made us stop for 40 minutes. Winning! What a prick that midpen ranger.
    And measure AA paid for it all....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Got a warning today on Sunny Jim at Russian ridge. Since it was only a warning, bit my lips and did not argue. The rangers sure have a way to spoil riding for you.
    I reallly wish there were other options close by. Now back to that 'want to leave bay area' thread...

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kovarpa View Post
    Got a warning today on Sunny Jim at Russian ridge. Since it was only a warning, bit my lips and did not argue. The rangers sure have a way to spoil riding for you.
    I reallly wish there were other options close by. Now back to that 'want to leave bay area' thread...
    Did you get warned that you were not having enough fun? Try to have more fun next trip out there.

fc
    You get a 30-minute condescending lecture
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You get a 30-minute condescending lecture
    Yes. 'This is what it feels like when you go 24, so make sure you don't ever do that again...' because I am supposed to look down on the computer to check my speed, not look at the trail.
    Still, I consider myself very lucky to get away with a warning only.

IPA tester
    Yes. 'This is what it feels like when you go 24, so make sure you don't ever do that again...' because I am supposed to look down on the computer to check my speed, not look at the trail.
    Still, I consider myself very lucky to get away with a warning only.
    if only you were riding an eBike....
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123