fc
    head minion Administrator

Midpen ticket at TNGR

Sadpanda. Our father/daughter duo got popped yesterday.

Violation is riding the Athistaca singletrack trail back to the parking lot. This is a trail parallel to Highway 9 built about 3 years ago, on the West side of the road. It is a mellow trail totally unused by hikers and closed to bikes.

Fine.... $410+ DOLLARS.

They pop us too with radar guns going over 15 on a singletrack downhill before a climb. Also riding 30 minutes after sunset is common one.

Midpen ticket at TNGR-29792319_10211130439925927_1764886041421938688_n.jpg

Midpen ticket at TNGR-30222265_10211130438885901_3386337045789016064_n.jpg

Midpen ticket at TNGR-30226556_10211130439405914_7606462002625511424_n.jpg

made them late to the party

Midpen ticket at TNGR-30261379_10211130440205934_8012172941347258368_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    edit: nevermind

Da' Ripper!
    Aug 2016
    That ticket is on-board with base fines for doing 100+ in a construction zone. Revenue generation in overdrive! Maybe you'd like to test the waters with the court bureaucracy and post results?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mountain bike tickets are too expensive. I'll go back to doing sportbike freeway wheelies thankyouverymuch.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

fc
    Dave asked the ranger how much the ticket was going to cost him and she replied:

"I don't know. But I can tell you Midpen only gets $35 out of this."
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It could be worth their while to go to court. I was cited for riding on a closed trail a few years ago. The fine was $354. In court, the judge asked if I knew I was on a closed trail. I said that I had inadvertently gotten on the trail and was stopped when I was getting off the trail. She dropped the charge and I only had to pay court fees of $55.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    It could be worth their while to go to court. I was cited for riding on a closed trail a few years ago. The fine was $354. In court, the judge asked if I knew I was on a closed trail. I said that I had inadvertently gotten on the trail and was stopped when I was getting off the trail. She dropped the charge and I only had to pay court fees of $55.
    For sure. Show up in court and they will reduce the fine. It's a must do for sure.

One sucky part is Midpen farmed out this task to Traffic court of Palo Alto. So we must fall in line at the courthouse with all the DUI's and felons of the land.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Just fight it via the mail, court is a big time suck and you will probably at least get half the money back, done it several times even got all my money back once. Plus the ranger will have to fill out more paper work and don't get paid extra to do it, so that alone is worth it to me!

research: "trial by written declaration" If your not happy with the outcome, you can always go to court also, so two chances to win.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    For sure. Show up in court and they will reduce the fine. It's a must do for sure.

One sucky part is Midpen farmed out this task to Traffic court of Palo Alto. So we must fall in line at the courthouse with all the DUI's and felons of the land.
    Be careful about the info you spread...I’ve gone to court over a ticket; the fine was not reduced.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Be careful about the info you spread...I’ve gone to court over a ticket; the fine was not reduced.
    Agreed. Restate: of the 10 Midpen tickets that I know where the perp showed up in court, 10 were reduced.

You live in Marin after all and did you dress nice?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I did a Midpen long loop yesterday, 30+ miles concatenation of gap, peters, russian, crazy pete, white oak, canyon, charcoal, skyline, john nicholas, knowing the rain on friday would close trails. I even checked their website early in the morning - all trails open.

Climb Hy 9, take gap, etc. only to reach a "trail closed to bikers due to wet conditions" sign at the top of Peters Creek Trail to the Jikoji Center lake (and beyond).

Not saying what I did, but I got into the same situation at White Oaks.

Trails as dry as they get, it seems the rangers don't like getting wet and close the trails a full day ahead of the storm. After finishing the modified ride (7hrs later) I went to midpen trail conditions and saw they posted the closures at 10:15AM. Rain came 20hrs later.

Is this the usual M.O. for midpen, close trails one day before the rain? I understand and endorse the closures for rain, but gimme a chance to have that last run before the storm!

SOG
    mtbr member
    This is so lame and good to know cause I'll never ride there

always licking the glass
    So glad I moved and don’t have to deal with this.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I can't remember the last time I rode a Midpen trail. But yesterdayI rode 23 miles of exquisite loam trails with redwoods, waterfalls, and wildflowers. Deal with that!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-07-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

middle ring single track
    Orange y'all glad Measure AA got passed and was even supported by some in the biking community.

If there's a sunny side this is a good time to move elsewhere.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Dropshot Champ!
    That's a pricey ticket! We're dealing with a lot of the same on our local parkway. So much fantastic singletrack, but so many rangers. I saw a dozen rangers yesterday. A dozen!

Rangers make for great interval training. As my (faster) buddy Sam once said on a night ride..."Sorry to cut your line, slowest guy gets the ticket"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It cuts both ways.
    On a night ride the slowest guy gets the ticket, but on a day ride the fastest one gets that prize...

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Focking stupid,
    ignant sheeyite.
    I agree.

“A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

Mahatma Gandhi

Suck on THAT, Trump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got a warning ticket years ago when I was getting over a bad cold riding there above 15mph. Told the fur trapper I only ride demo and had not been to the gap in 10 years which was true. I told her I deserved a ticket for not knowing the rules had no idea it was 4 bills. Lesson learned why the f ride there? How much farther is demo? You can buy a lot of gas for that. Signed the lucky pelt trader

mtbr member
    Damn.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Same for me, and it was the honest to God truth, it was a seasonal closure and I overlooked the sign.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A majority of the MidPen board is up for election this year.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    A majority of the MidPen board is up for election this year.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    yeah but you have to live in a midpen district and can only vote for that one hoha that represents your district.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Yet we as a user group continue to allow this sort of thing to happen with little to no open opposition or protest.

JustSaying

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hwolters View Post
    Same for me, and it was the honest to God truth, it was a seasonal closure and I overlooked the sign.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    It's not like MidPen even bothers to openly warn users, unless something has changed in the past year and a half. It's not much money (seeing as they have all the money now) to buy the required a-frame signage. I got lucky recently. While I haven't made the stupid mistake I did stop just before an entrance, having missed the shitty little sign posted and deciding to enter or not when a Ranger came walking up looking to cite us. As my friend rolls up behind me the Ranger starts pulling out the citation booklet to attempt to get us to provide info and write us up. My friend's a defense attorney, hahaha! He lit the Ranger up going "Quid Pro Demonstrato, we haven't commited the violation yet and therefore the onus of intent is on you. Kiss my ass, you don't need our info. Obi, the sign is two feet back and you stopped where we agreed to so you're good."

Eff MidPen and this nonsense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midpen ticket at TNGR-area-closed-do-not-enter-yellow.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    always, always, always Midpen giving out tickets, i am glad that i don't go there... and i mostly ride in Folsom lake and Granite Bay and signs are marked with simple trails...