Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is now still the time?

MIDPEN: "How do YOU imagine the future of Open Space?"

The MROSD seeks public opinion on the future of Open Space management within their district.

They have created a website where you may contribute your insight:

Imagine the Future of Open Space by MindMixer

Some information about this process; what the MROSD pursues; may be found here:

Openspace.org - Plans and Projects - Imagine the Future of Open Space
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    I posted my vision of the open space. We will see if they even post it up. I put out a plea for more multi use trails particularly mountain biking trails as they are increasingly popular. Or so I am told. We will see if Open space people will even allow it to be posted. I noticed that there were only 8 or 9 things in there none of them biking related.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

middle ring single track

Vote early and often...

Bump

If nothing else shortcut to here and let them know you're a biker:

How Do You Use Open Space? | Imagine the Future of Open Space by MindMixer

And yes; so far there's a bias towards the walking stick crowd in what's been posted---but perhaps that's the reality of the demographic???
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

~~~
    Knowing MidPen, this will probably lead to nothing for mountain bike access. Or it will lead to them bulldozing trails to widen them for multi-use. However, I did create an account and voted for my favorite ideas, and replied to the survey. I still believe it's important to reiterate the fact that mtb'ers are a major user group, if not the largest user group, of the open space.

I think the website is pretty cool, because you can 'like' other people's ideas as well as submit your own. People can quickly see the most popular ideas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Done!
    Created my account.
    voted for
    * DougM idea of more multi-use single track for mtn bike bikers
    * Umunum to the Sea
    * More interesting trails, not roads...

Go Vote!

(aka "grace")

mtb input

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    The MROSD seeks public opinion on the future of Open Space management within their district.
    Thanks! Can't hurt to keep voicing our opinions, interests and preferences!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

MIDPEN: "How do YOU imagine the future of Open Space?"

Bump

sftrydr
    Thanx Sorcerer...
    We keep pushing on these trails doors, sometimes they open a bit:
    Here in SMCo we have glacial like progress happening w SMCo parks dept. in regards to bike access.
    Simple stuff like filling out these seemingly endless surveys can start moving the access curve into a more digestible form to us pedalers.

From SMCo Survey results:

"Recreational opportunities and environmental protection programs tied for first.
    Within recreational opportunities, the community’s top three priorities were, trails, picnic and camping facilities. Survey responses also indicated
    that these activities represent those of many of our users. In addition, respondents indicated that in the future, 50% would like to see more hiking trails, 47% would like more walking trails, and 40% would like more bicycling trails."

Now staff has an iron clad directive to facilitate cyclists within existing parks trails.

It's up to us to remind staff of these directives as lands use policies are implemented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I added some comments about Sierra Azul and St. Joseph's Hill with regard to speed limits and the need for some single track and trails with lesser grades. Also added a new item about opening up Bear Creek Redwoods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Keep pushing!

Thanks sorcerer for the update at the romp meeting last night. Sounds like a group of influential folks.

As a respected and prominent Mtb'er please make it known to the Board that your desires are a reflection of the community. Perhaps they are using this forum to ensure buyin from user groups to support upcoming parcel tax.

Thanks again for being involved

Team Chilidog!
    Until the board changes, I doubt we will see any changes. Signed up, but their site isn't working well on my Mac. Still, this is a good start.

My vision for MidPen:
    - Open more trails to bikes, have some separate biking only and hiking only trails
    - No longer closing fireroads for bikes where trucks are allowed to drive over endangered species
    - Better trail construction
    - Quit treating MTBers like criminals and stop putting up speed traps
    Last edited by Stripes; 04-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    DONE! I threw in some positive comments too.

No question filling out these surveys in large numbers and with a positive tone can eventually make a difference. Even with the terrible bias toward hikers and horses that many Board members have professed. Indeed, geologic time may be the rate of change, but at least there will be change.

Their community includes mountain bikers...their community is mountain bikers.....there should be increased mountain bike access. They need to be consistently reminded of this -- in a constructive way. Don't lose hope, our sons & daughters will ride on trails we never legally could, and that is worth something.

Is now still the time?
    All of your responses are positive and sensible.

But that doesn't mean other sorts of responses don't qualify either.

Unleash your ideas.

It's unlikely that you'll ever get an easier access to their processes than this folks.

Work it baby!

Give them a piece of you mind.

Donate blood.
    SOrCerer

More Torque
    Great comments on the survey site so far, with about 95% coming from mountain bikers. Please keep them coming. MROSD lands have SO much unrealized potential.

-D

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Had an account there since it opened, will keep voting up good ideas.

middle ring single track

Curmudgeonly bump

I guess I'm getting cantankerous in my old age but I'm not getting a "kumbaya" feeling with this Share Your Vision thing.

They've got one hell of a blooper in their invitation:

"In the last 40 years we have preserved over 60,000 acres of land and built more than 220 miles of hiking, bicycling and equestrian trails on the Peninsula and in the South Bay."

"Built" 220 miles of of hiking, bicycling and equestrian trails??? Bull$hit!!! It's more like they "have" 220 miles of...

Most of MROSD's "trails" are re-purposed fire and logging roads; but I don't have to tell you guys that!

Yeah sure they've done a few miles of multi-use trail reroutes but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) they haven't built an inch of bike trail.

I'll let somebody else politely "Share Your Vision" on this issue.

Kumbaya
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: MIDPEN: "How do YOU imagine the future of Open Space?"

Ive seen the future! It is wonderful and glorious and there is less horse poop.

Sent by smoke signal.

Paper or plastic?
    Future is bleak, full of radar toting rangers and restrictions... Still voted.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Is now still the time?

Reality will Govern Mental System Open Space

[What Happened to mtbr...this looks like a phone app.]

About the cruel hoax that we all submit to in that we observe a matrix of codes and rules which constitute our fictitious governmental rule, to which we voluntarily donate, is really what I'd like to explore here in relation to local mountain bike access. However, that is Too Long To Read.

Instead I am here making remarks about an invitational meeting that the MROSD held last night.

This was a "Focus Group", about 16 people representing the most significant stake holders (ADA users notably absent) to help the MROSD identify "decision making criteria" through a scripted process, towards the codification of a vision for the theme of "Outdoor recreation and Healthy Living".

[I lack time to develop this in greater detail.]

The upshot IMHO was that the participants (significantly most of them being well steeped in the district lore) zeroed in on some common themes, despite their differences in mode.

These were:

• Access to preserve or areas that were previously closed or inaccessible, distributed regionally, and featuring a variety of environments, consistent with the available protected lands.
    • Increased trails designed and specialized for one type of preserve user.
    • Long distance trail connections that connect open spcaes and communties.

Discuss...

BTW...ot:

Submitted by Shelly Lewis of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.

The Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District on Tuesday (July 23) opened a one-half mile trail connecting the Skyline Trail/Bay Area Ridge Trail on California Water Service land to El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve.

The new trail connection provides a crossing over Highway 35 for hikers and equestrians who travel from San Mateo County's Wunderlich Park through Cal Water's land to El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve.

Named the Molder Trail, it starts near the south end of the Sierra Morena Trail in El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve and connects to the Skyline Trail on Cal Water land at a point on Highway 35 between Skeggs Point and Wunderlich Park.

A Coastal Conservancy/Bay Area Ridge Trail grant helped fund construction of the connecting trail. The section of trail on the Cal Water side of Highway 35 is for hikers and equestrians only due to limited-use restrictions on Cal Water land.

Visit OPENSPACE | Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District for more information about the open space district.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For me, my vision of the future involves MidPen not having radar jockies out there writing people up for simply exceeding a speed limit. I'm way more ok w/ enforcing speed when mixed use is an immediate concern, but that is the exception rather than the norm.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    The section of trail on the Cal Water side of Highway 35 is for hikers and equestrians only due to limited-use restrictions on Cal Water land.
    Cal Water likes manure?

..and I guess there is absolutely no public way to pressure those bureaucrats to remove such a silly restriction on cycling.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    My dream for the future of Open Space: Rainbows, unicorns, edible rangers, and lift-assisted singletrack. And the horse poop smells like roses.

Seriously, thanks for representing--and entertaining--us (conspiracy theories aside). At least they're opening up some poachable trails...

(and I did post up some suggestions for equitable trail use on their site, not that I expect much to change)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Is now still the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    My dream for the future of Open Space: Rainbows, unicorns, and lift-assisted singletrack. And the horse poop smells like roses.

Seriously, thanks for representing--and entertaining--us. At least they're opening up some poachable trails...

Thanks for bumping the thread.

Oh I despise the exclusion, the radar, and the litany of irrelevant regulations, the tyranny of safety, the obsolete dogmas, the religion of wilderness, the policy of divide and conquer, and the imagined consensual state which holds us captive in its prison without bars.

We all have this Planet in common. It is a comedy.

Whereas someone campaigned on "hope and change", for the rest of us its cope with strange. The cognitive dissonance is difficult to bear.

The perplexity of trails which traverse the lands of different agencies and their disharmonious restrictions, as in the example of the Molder Trail, continually frustrates us. This was a point of discussion last night.

If the law is wrong how will you behave?

Speak out, and you might end up like Michael Hastings, Gallileo, JFK, and MLK, to name some well known whistle blowers.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Buy stock?

"...largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi..." is how Cal Water is heralded.

https://www.calwater.com/about/index.php

So it's not the typical issue of dealing with bureaucracy managing public land, their lands are private and as such they can be quite fickle about who they grant access to. "What's in it for them?" is the question to be asked. Anybody here ever approach the management for bicycling access?

If there's a majority shareholder who happens to dislike MTB's they'll never permit access.

It really pisses me off how the supposedly "multi-use" BART bifurcates in so many places; bikes always get stuck on the pavement or some nasty section of fire road. (fodder for another thread)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for relaying the happenings at the meeting.

The Molder trail in particular is a thorn in my tire in regards to how Mid Pen acts, plans and treats mountain bikers. Rather than do anything to help with connectivity to other trails for bikes the board goes out of its way to create a new trail to make it easier for equestrians and hikers to access El Corte de Madera, one of the only local trails for mountain bikers living on the mid-peninsula. From what I have seen of the trail I don't think it will add a significant number of the users Mid Pen is catering to at ECDM but the fact that they are bending over backwards to create full, unobstructed access (even a big parking lot so they can snuggle their big trailers right up close to the trail) to every trail imaginable for an equestrian while continuing to ignore mountain bikers is despicable. Never mind the fact that the way the switchbacks on the Molder trail were constructed, the trail will be decimated by horses.

How do I imagine the future of Open Space? Locked down, mediocre, exclusionary, elitist. I am insulted that Mid Pen tries to sell their survey as something that will drive policy. Clearly Mid Pen is ignoring the MTB comments and doing what they have always done; catering to equestrians and hikers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast