mtbr member

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course - June 17th

Please hold off coming here for a few weeks. Trails are soaked! Parallel Trail at the Scales is a real mess. Lots of horse damage. We've been gravel grunting again. This next week could have things dried out enough to begin some serious fun trail riding again. check out the stone work tread on Rd 630. Looks like the Roman Hadrian wall path.

Because of wet conditions, I'll repost this map in a few weeks.
    Last edited by RooHarris; 04-19-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Wet Conditions

mtbr member
    Thanks! Looking forward to this race. At least I have a lot of time to get in shape before then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Was just starting to plan a trip up there in mid-May. Do you think it will be dried up enough by then?
    If white is the "new black", then thanks but I'll stick with the old black...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by marinrider View Post
    Was just starting to plan a trip up there in mid-May. Do you think it will be dried up enough by then?
    +1. Manley, steam donkey, big tree, boiler, high chutes, nemo, big river and the in between stuff.. in that order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member

... we can only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by marinrider View Post
    We can only hope for a drying trend. This next week is looking promising. I think you'll be safe to have good riding by mid-May. Right now it's wet as hell. Flagging out an Ultra-Marathon today gave me an idea how damp everything still is.

Check out this event:

Scot Nicol from Ibis Cycles will be here hosting about a 100 riders for a four day riding extravaganza - Ibis Migration #3 Mendocino - June 11-14th. All rides will be guided with group size of no more than 8 riders doing all day rides in the Jackson. All riders will stay at the Mendocino Woodlands SP Camp 1. Scrumptious meals will be catered by Karina (best on the coast - her food is not to be missed).

Ibis Demo van bikes available as part of the cost. If interested go here:

https://www.ibiscycles.com/buytry/ib...ion_mendocino/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomikazi View Post
    +1. Manley, steam donkey, big tree, boiler, high chutes, nemo, big river and the in between stuff.. in that order.

Big River Trail is closed from the bottom of High Chutes to the Woodlands until June 1 2017. The remediation of the area is critical to the Big River Watershed. Hopefully, the area will be dried out enough by June 1 to resume riding. Until then please do not ride in this specific area.

Than you,

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Big River Trail is closed from the bottom of High Chutes to the Woodlands until June 1 2017. The remediation of the area is critical to the Big River Watershed. Hopefully, the area will be dried out enough by June 1 to resume riding. Until then please do not ride in this specific area.

Than you,
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid it.

mtbr member

Map for Enduro

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course - June 17th

Please hold off coming here for a few weeks. Trails are soaked! Parallel Trail at the Scales is a real mess. Lots of horse damage. We've been gravel grunting again. This next week could have things dried out enough to begin some serious fun trail riding again. check out the stone work tread on Rd 630. Looks like the Roman Hadrian wall path.

Because of wet conditions, I'll repost this map in a few weeks.

This week will see significant drying of the trails. Parallel Trail in Caspar should be avoided for another two weeks. Use Rd 500 to get to EZN. Lots of wet areas on PT with tons of equestrian damage.

Here's the Wild Wood Enduro Race course map Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourseflat.jpg( Map revised to show elevation gain of 6,915')

Last edited by RooHarris; 05-01-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Map revision

mtbr member
    Hi Roo,

I noticed you, or someone else added this event to Trailforks. Have you considered uploading the GPX track and highlighting the stages (they do this for all the Enduro World Series Events). What's great about this option, is that you should be able to load the route in the trail forks app, which would allow for people to pre-ride the trails who may not be familiar with them.

If you have a GPX of the course, I'd be happy to create the route (and time stages) for you. You can check out the 2015 EWS Whistler Trailforks route here.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/ews...y-specialized/

mtbr member
    Question: Will the sport category be riding the full course?

mtbr member

Tracks for the Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I have the tracks for the Beginners, Sport and Expert classes.

Beginners will do four races, Sport five races and Expert six races. Unfortunately, the file are too large to load on this MTBR Thread.

Email me for the specific track you might want.

rooharris1946@gmail.com

Here is the Beginner route map for 4 races:

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourse-beginnersflat.jpg

mtbr member

Map for the SPORT Class

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Hi Roo,

I noticed you, or someone else added this event to Trailforks. Have you considered uploading the GPX track and highlighting the stages (they do this for all the Enduro World Series Events). What's great about this option, is that you should be able to load the route in the trail forks app, which would allow for people to pre-ride the trails who may not be familiar with them.

If you have a GPX of the course, I'd be happy to create the route (and time stages) for you. You can check out the 2015 EWS Whistler Trailforks route here.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/ews...y-specialized/

Email me for tracks at:

rooharris1946@gmail.com

here is the SPORT Class course map:

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourse-5racesflat.jpg

mtbr member
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    See: Posted GPX tracks for the 3 Race Categories on "Updated Race for Wild Wood Adventure Enduro"

mtbr member
    Hey Roo,

I mapped out the expert course in Trailforks, does this look right to you? It looks like HTML code is turned off for the MTBR board, so it won't let me embed. Check out the route/page here:

https://www.trailforks.com/route/ces...expert-course/

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    can that be correct? 39 miles and 9,700ft???

That is considerable more than an EWS single day race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macca208 View Post
    can that be correct? 39 miles and 9,700ft???

That is considerable more than an EWS single day race.
    Exactly why I was asking! But, upon further review, I think the distance is right. If you look at the expert race map that Roo posted, race stages are approx 10 miles, and transfer stages are 30, so right about 40. I'm not sure how accurate the elevation profile is though, but it's still a grind of at least 7k feet it looks like. That's pretty intense for an enduro race, considering a lot of pros were complaining about the 2014 EWS at Whistler that entailed approx 30 miles of riding and 6.5k in elevation gain (no lifts).

You can read more about that race here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-lo...-whistler.html

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode it today. I did it as an "off" day on my 3 day bikepacking trip to the coast. 40 miles nearly exactly and 6300-6500' of climbing. There are some steep climbs so gear accordingly. I don't know where the stages start and stop but I don't think you're going to spin out, but you may walk a lot if you roll something too big. I rode it all in a 32x42 with 90 miles and 9000' in my legs from yesterday. Need to do the same again tomorrow so I wasn't pushing the pace but it took me a solid 5 hours moving. I saw my lowest gear for some parts of the climbs. I didn't ride the second transfer out of Casper Creek, there was a closed sign on it. I took road 640 which I feel matches up pretty close elevation wise.

My thoughts:
    Bring the lightest bike you have, preferably with at least some platform or lockout.

Be careful if you run 800mm or wider bars.

I predict that the transfers might be the most challenging part of your day.

Great course, most of the best trails in that part of the woods. When they do one big epic cross country race on it I'm in!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Rode it today. I did it as an "off" day on my 3 day bikepacking trip to the coast. 40 miles nearly exactly and 6300-6500' of climbing. There are some steep climbs so gear accordingly. I don't know where the stages start and stop but I don't think you're going to spin out, but you may walk a lot if you roll something too big. I rode it all in a 32x42 with 90 miles and 9000' in my legs from yesterday. Need to do the same again tomorrow so I wasn't pushing the pace but it took me a solid 5 hours moving. I saw my lowest gear for some parts of the climbs. I didn't ride the second transfer out of Casper Creek, there was a closed sign on it. I took road 640 which I feel matches up pretty close elevation wise.

My thoughts:
    Bring the lightest bike you have, preferably with at least some platform or lockout.

Be careful if you run 800mm or wider bars.

I predict that the transfers might be the most challenging part of your day.

Great course, most of the best trails in that part of the woods. When they do one big epic cross country race on it I'm in!

Sean,
    Great assessment of the course. You are the first to ride that loop in its entirety. Thank you for the update. Rd600 was open this weekend temporarily for the Ibis Migration weekend Scot Nicol held here in the Woodlands. The closure was due to a massive hillside slide.

Sorry to hear you took Rd 640 out. That is a tortuous route.

You elevation gain is pretty spot on as is the mileage. You are correct regarding transfer stages - they will punish those who don't embrace the uphill experience. Many pros who were here two years ago are not returning. I believe it is due to the fact that this will be a total bikers test. Downhillers who have been spoiled with some uphill assistance are too soft for this portion of the sport. Personally, I think to make an Enduro a "real" sport the transfer sections be timed as well. Any one can go down hill fast. The real race is won in the climb!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Exactly why I was asking! But, upon further review, I think the distance is right. If you look at the expert race map that Roo posted, race stages are approx 10 miles, and transfer stages are 30, so right about 40. I'm not sure how accurate the elevation profile is though, but it's still a grind of at least 7k feet it looks like. That's pretty intense for an enduro race, considering a lot of pros were complaining about the 2014 EWS at Whistler that entailed approx 30 miles of riding and 6.5k in elevation gain (no lifts).

You can read more about that race here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-lo...-whistler.html
    Many of the Pros said they were not returning because the course was not gnarly enough. Ha, right!

Elevation gain for this one is about 6,700'. Your mileage assessment is spot on, the course is 40.2 miles in length. Two transfer of the 7 sections are at least 7+ miles. The course begins and ends at the Scales. After Purple Skirt, all racers must ascend Rd 600 to the finish. This will be a tough over-all race. Unfortunately, many of those who complain about the climbing, are just soft. This is one of the reason we made all of the Woodlands a "No Parking zone" to avoid pre-race shuttling. I feel if you ride a bike you earn the downhills. Living here on the coast, you embrace and love the climbs as much as you enjoy the downhills. Plus the beer tastes better at the end of the day. All in that order!

Hey, real bikers don't whine. They just go out and do another loop!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Many of the Pros said they were not returning because the course was not gnarly enough. Ha, right!

Unfortunately, many of those who complain about the climbing, are just soft. This is one of the reason we made all of the Woodlands a "No Parking zone" to avoid pre-race shuttling. I feel if you ride a bike you earn the downhills. Living here on the coast, you embrace and love the climbs as much as you enjoy the downhills.
    well now that I know how you really feel I think I'll just sell my entry to some other sucker. my reality is that going up hill is easy, you just have to spend enough time going up hills, its going downhill that requires skill. also enduro racing is supposed to be accessible to a wider audience. xc is falling out of favor because of attitudes like this and the time and effort required to maintain super human levels of fitness. plus the whole idea of "you have to earn it" just bothers me as being so elitist that only people who have dedicated hours and hours to riding up hills should be able to enjoy trails. its your event so its up to you to decide what its going to be like but not following the model used by other enduro races is just going to alienate your audience. I cant really see expecting sport cat racers to do 35 miles and 6000ft of climbing AND pin it on the downhills as a model that has a future.
    Last edited by rox; 05-14-2017 at 11:23 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^^I agree. If I wanted to race an event that was a true test of rider fitness I would have signed up for a cross country event. In my opinion enduros should be more geared towards a test of a riders skill and ability, and not just to see who can pedal the hardest/longest.

If only I lived in BC....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yea if the pros aren't coming back it means it sucks. They ride all over and if the pedal is worth it they wouldn't care. Nice attitude for an enduro organizer man. No parking signs for pre shuttle so lame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    well now that I know how you really feel I think I'll just sell my entry to some other sucker. my reality is that going up hill is easy, you just have to spend enough time going up hills, its going downhill that requires skill. also enduro racing is supposed to be accessible to a wider audience. xc is falling out of favor because of attitudes like this and the time and effort required to maintain super human levels of fitness. plus the whole idea of "you have to earn it" just bothers me as being so elitist that only people who have dedicated hours and hours to riding up hills should be able to enjoy trails. its your event so its up to you to decide what its going to be like but not following the model used by other enduro races is just going to alienate your audience. I cant really see expecting sport cat racers to do 35 miles and 6000ft of climbing AND pin it on the downhills as a model that has a future.
    I'm only the mapmaker for this race, but it is what it is. So, whine away...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcin View Post
    Yea if the pros aren't coming back it means it sucks. They ride all over and if the pedal is worth it they wouldn't care. Nice attitude for an enduro organizer man. No parking signs for pre shuttle so lame
    Obviously, you have never ridden here. Sorry to disappoint you, but shuttling is a real issue/problem when it comes to this race. Plus, there is minimal parking in the Mendocino Woodlands and most is designated for the camping/cabin users only.

We are not a "Downhill" promoting area. The trails are too fragile for such a discipline. The amount of time going into prepping the trails for this race is in the hundreds of hours. The trails will be torn up enough as it is without shuttle runs. This is an overall race for the condition rider incorporating downhill bike handling skills. If it were an XC type race we would be timing the transfer sections as well.

Unfortunately, Enduro terminology has gotten a bit distorted since its inception.

mtbr member

Is Enduro becoming an entitlement event?

"you have to earn it" just bothers me as being so elitist

Oh, that hurts...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry to start such a shitstorm. I will say this. The trails are great. Does it compare to China Peak or Ashland? No. Does it take a ton of skill and balls to rail a 12" wide trail at Ewok speed? Hell yeah. Any trail is gnarly and dangerous given enough speed. That being said, I'm glad I got up before the race. The trails were damn near perfect and will likely be a little chopped up afterwards.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I believe the original spirit of Enduro was "do the whole ride, only get timed on the descents, drink lots of beer after". Unfortunately, that morphed into something else, kind of a "dh lite", complete with shuttles.

It seems like as long as I've been riding competitively (25 years) people have been looking for the mountain bike discipline that they could be competitive at with pure skill, without putting in the time and sweat. I'm here to tell you, that doesn't exist. Your average dh pro is faster uphill than you, your average xc pro is faster downhill than you. I can't tell you how many kids, talented kids, I've seen wash out of dh because they weren't willing to train. Ride your bike. Lots. This looks like an amazing event.

Damn, I sound like a curmudgeon.

I like mtn biking, too
    If anyone wants to sell me their entry, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

I like mtn biking, too
    6k of climbing is a little excessive for sport-level Enduro racers. But for pro's? Par for the course. Look at the EWS's.

Come to think of it, all 4 dh's in the SDSF Santa Cruz Enduro probably netted similar el gain. Especially the first year they did it, climbing up from Aptos. And.. come to think of it, the good dh's in Mendo are very similar to SDSF, except more like SDSF was before it was popular.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member

The course is Pro/Expert/Open = 6 Stages, Sport/Beginner = 5 Stages. *

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    6k of climbing is a little excessive for sport-level Enduro racers. But for pro's? Par for the course. Look at the EWS's.

Come to think of it, all 4 dh's in the SDSF Santa Cruz Enduro probably netted similar el gain. Especially the first year they did it, climbing up from Aptos. And.. come to think of it, the good dh's in Mendo are very similar to SDSF, except more like SDSF was before it was popular.
    Amy is in the final stages of being ready for this event. The decision to go with 5 races for beginners has been made.

So, the course is Pro/Expert/Open = 6 Stages, Sport/Beginner = 5 Stages.

Map for 6 Races:

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourseflat.jpg

Map for 5 Races:

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourse-5racesflat.jpg

We, the behind the scene Steam Donkeys,

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-donkey13.jpg

have spent countless hours preparing all the trails for this year's Enduro event. 1100+ hours alone, have gone into our newest trail - Rd 630 - Sweet Pea . This 4.92 mile single track will be part of the 2nd transfer from the bottom of EZN to Rd 408 to the start of Stage 2 at the top of Forest History trail. Here the race will incorporate Manly Gulch for an exciting, screaming fast descent into the Mendocino Woodlands SP.

By the sounds of some of the complaining here, race tickets could be available. PM "rox" above. It was never our intention to massacre anyone with this race, but to give each racer a real bang for the buck while riding in one of the greatest undiscovered places in western NA.

My understanding of what the true essence of an Enduro use to be was well explained by TJP above. Thank you for speaking up.

There will be no podium places for whining, only for those who show what it takes to really ride a bike... Up and down!

...and if anyone still have some legs, there will be a guided ride (June 18th) from Gibney Lane to the Comptche Father's Day BBQ. This is a 30+ mile ride through a working forest to one of the sweetest BBQs on the North Coast. If coming, plan on getting yourself a shuttle ride back from the barbeque. The beer along with endless homemade pie is hard to turn down!

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-2016fathersdayride.jpg

FOR ALL RACE INQUIRIES GO HERE:

Ride@MendoBikeSprite.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post

Damn, I sound like a curmudgeon.
    ...more like a pragmatist who likes to ride a bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    NM found the answer myself
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

I like mtn biking, too
    Roo, the race sounds amazing! Massive respect for all the trailwork you guys have put in.

Rox & Roo both made me start thinking about what elitism in our sport means to different people, and I started thinking about the TDS Enduro. But I figured I'd put it on my own blog, instead. https://shredchicswords.wordpress.co...6/enduro-brah/ . Carry on!
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=shredchic;13170274]Roo, the race sounds amazing! Massive respect for all the trailwork you guys have put in.QUOTE]

Thank you!

Or maybe*we just want to enjoy riding our*bikes outside, stepping away from the*online growling pit, recharging in nature, testing the limits of our fitness and bike skills.*We just*ride bikes, and the mystical physics of bikes and knobby tires crunching on dirt make us happy.

AMEN!

used to be RipRoar
    Hard to make everyone happy that's for sure! Seems like an awesome event.

I wont be making the event but definitely getting out there this summer.

mtbr member
    Try north star or downieville..... you can shuttle all day. There is nothing wrong with respecting this course, its fragile!!!!

So you call bikers that climb elitist! wow I would call them minimalist!
    Last edited by gonzo; 05-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just an update. After loading the day into Garmin, the elevation gain came out to 7,600'. Not sure if it's a Garmin thing or not, but Strava says pretty much the same. This is for the Pro/Expert course.

mtbr member
    Gonna be a big day and pretty long if it took you solid 5 hours rolling. Hope there is minimal wait times.

mtbr member

2nd transfer

Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Gonna be a big day and pretty long if it took you solid 5 hours rolling. Hope there is minimal wait times.
    The second transfer is 7+ miles mostly uphill. This should open up the field. Manly Gulch is the next race course section. The wait should be minimal.

While working the first Enduro, wait times at our post at the top of Steam Donkey were approx. 5 to 10 minutes. If unfamiliar with the course, this subsequent race section - Motorcycle is the fastest (speed wise) downhill run in the entire Enduro. Some Pros were hitting 42 MPH between the two redwoods near the bottom.

mtbr member

Beginners will now have 4 races...

Amy has decided to limit the Beginner race to 4 runs instead of utilizing the Sport course. See map:

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-mapofcourse-beginnersflat.jpg

mtbr member
    Amy has decided to limit the Beginner race to 4 runs instead of utilizing the Sport course. See map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapofcourse for beginnersFLAT.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	1139319
    Lets make that the Sport course too. Lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just rode the course yesterday. Some observations.

It's a pretty long day in the saddle, but not to difficult. Most of the climbing is pretty mellow. Getting to the top of stage 3 and 5 saw me reaching for my easier gears a few times.

The downhills are a lot of fun. Lots of areas that you could easily blow a corner and end up off the trail, which is pretty narrow in some areas and tight trees. Not bad riding it, but pushing at race pace I could see myself getting a little sloppy.

Stage one has a little climb in the middle. Otherwise fun pump track downhill through the woods.

Stage two is fun and fast. A couple sneaky switch backs. Has a flat pedal at the bottom.

Stage three, if it starts where trail forks says it does has significant climbing at the top. pretty meh until the last bit when you pass a sign that says motorcycle then trail gets super rowdy and fun.

Stage 4 has a climb in the middle and if the stage ends where it says, you have a long flat pedal at the bottom which I hope they take out. Otherwise one of the more techy tight stages.

Stage 5, is a blast, but same thing, they start you out then almost immediately you have a climb. Hopefully they start the stage after that as you don't loose much downhill and that climb sucks at race pace and there is a ton of descending after it, probably the longest stage.

Stage 6, starts of pretty mellow and pedaly then gets steep and fast and finishes on a great note!

All in all a great day, super pretty. I just hope they take some of the unnecessary climbing out. I know they probably want to make it tough as people are "racing" but I think its important to make a race "fun" so people want to come back. The alternative mammoth bar course really shows people that are racing enduro don't want to race XC intervals.

See you all on the 17th
    Last edited by Loki; 06-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Just rode the course yesterday. Some observations.

It's a pretty long day in the saddle, but not to difficult. Most of the climbing is pretty mellow. Getting to the top of stage 3 and 5 saw me reaching for my easier gears a few times.

The downhills are a lot of fun. Lots of areas that you could easily blow a corner and end up off the trail, which is pretty narrow in some areas and tight trees. Not bad riding it, but pushing at race pace I could see myself getting a little sloppy.

Stage one has a little climb in the middle. Otherwise fun pump track downhill through the woods.

Stage two is fun and fast. A couple sneaky switch backs. Has a flat pedal at the bottom.

Stage three, if it starts where trail forks says it does has significant climbing at the top. pretty meh until the last bit when you pass a sign that says motorcycle then trail gets super rowdy and fun.

Stage 4 has a climb in the middle and if the stage ends where it says, you have a long flat pedal at the bottom which I hope they take out. Otherwise one of the more techy tight stages.

Stage 5, is a blast, but same thing, they start you out then almost immediately you have a climb. Hopefully they start the stage after that as you don't loose much downhill and that climb sucks at race pace and there is a ton of descending after it, probably the longest stage.

Stage 6, starts of pretty mellow and pedaly then gets steep and fast and finishes on a great note!

All in all a great day, super pretty. I just hope they take some of the unnecessary climbing out. I know they probably want to make it tough as people are "racing" but I think its important to make a race "fun" so people want to come back. The alternative mammoth bar course really shows people that are racing enduro don't want to race XC intervals.

See you all on the 17th
    Stage 3 does have an uphill section, but if I remember it correctly from last time, your hauling pretty fast into it so its not hard to keep momentum.

Stage 5 does have a climb right at the beggining, but oh well, it gets you into the red real quick and makes holding on in the switch backs pretty tricky. Thankfully someone gave me a heads up in the start line, you. gotta start out fast and be ready to just sprint out the uphill part.
    2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 650b
    2010 Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Obviously, you have never ridden here. Sorry to disappoint you, but shuttling is a real issue/problem when it comes to this race. Plus, there is minimal parking in the Mendocino Woodlands and most is designated for the camping/cabin users only.

We are not a "Downhill" promoting area. The trails are too fragile for such a discipline. The amount of time going into prepping the trails for this race is in the hundreds of hours. The trails will be torn up enough as it is without shuttle runs. This is an overall race for the condition rider incorporating downhill bike handling skills. If it were an XC type race we would be timing the transfer sections as well.

Unfortunately, Enduro terminology has gotten a bit distorted since its inception.
    Question for you Roo, on Practice day will it be okay to park where we parked for the start of Sunday back in 2015?
    2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 650b
    2010 Roubaix Expert

mtbr member

Parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sour View Post
    Question for you Roo, on Practice day will it be okay to park where we parked for the start of Sunday back in 2015?
    Todd,

I'm not sure where you parked on Practice day 2015. I think you can park almost anywhere except down in the Woodlands. Rd 720 will be closed to vehicular traffic that weekend to protect the racers.

I wish I had better info for you. Contact Amy for parking instructions. Try Bike Sprite Facebook too.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I pre rode the sport course today and its pretty damn hard. ended up being 35m and 5300ft on strava and thats with a shortcut after stage one (they should really route us that way for the race). it seems way too difficult compared to other races. It wouldnt be so bad if the race stages werent so pedally but going race speed up all those punchy climbs is going to be more than a little draining. it took me 4 hours just cruising so I imagine it will be 5-6 hours on race day. anyone else considering dropping down a category to make it more reasonable?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    please cut out the 200 yards of flat to uphill pedalfest at the bottom of manly gulch

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I pre rode the sport course today and its pretty damn hard. ended up being 35m and 5300ft on strava and thats with a shortcut after stage one (they should really route us that way for the race). it seems way too difficult compared to other races. It wouldnt be so bad if the race stages werent so pedally but going race speed up all those punchy climbs is going to be more than a little draining. it took me 4 hours just cruising so I imagine it will be 5-6 hours on race day. anyone else considering dropping down a category to make it more reasonable?
    I agree about the punchy climbs and flat spots on the stages, its going to wipe people out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    please cut out the 200 yards of flat to uphill pedalfest at the bottom of manly gulch
    My bad, I actually didn't mind that pedal as it was still somewhat downhill. The section along railroad gulch is pretty ridiculous. Maybe we should send an email to the organizers. If they hear it from enough people they may listen. I have a number of team mates who are seriously thinking of not doing because of the combination of length of the course as a whole and the climbing in the timed stages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My bad, I actually didn't mind that pedal as it was still somewhat downhill. The section along railroad gulch is pretty ridiculous. Maybe we should send an email to the organizers. If they hear it from enough people they may listen. I have a number of team mates who are seriously thinking of not doing because of the combination of length of the course as a whole and the climbing in the timed stages.
    At least you are getting your money's worth. Oh wait, the race was $180.... never mind.

Excited to get out there and check out the trails though.

bad reputation

Turfs big wildwood adventure!

Did a bit of pre-riding over the weekend. Yes Wildwood is gonna kick some ass in two weeks!

On the drive up I had to snap a pic of this beast. Amazing these things stay afloat carrying all of those containers.

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_4948.jpg

Driving North!

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_4951.jpg

View from the summit on 20

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_4962.jpg

Oh Fugggk. Rolled my front tire into a 3-1/2' deep ditch pulling into a campsite. No cell service to call for help. Took over three hours of digging and McGyvering to get unstuck.

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_4979.jpg

Mendocino is a beautiful place to ride your mountain bike. The weather was perfect and the trail conditions were prime.
    After getting to bed around 3:00 am due to vehicle adventures I got a late start on Saturday and had to make a decision after the first four stages to skip 5 (Forest History) and finish with 6. Roughly 31 miles and 4200'.

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_4994.jpg

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5011.jpg

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5024.jpg

Bring some cash & make a donation to the Mendo Bike Sprites for all of their hard work building these beautiful trails.

(I really enjoyed the new trail, but for race day I recommend making the fire road optional to save time and legs.)

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5013.jpg

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5030.jpg

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5050.jpg

Did all 6 stages on Sunday. My ass, hips, & legs were finished. That beer in the parking lot never tasted so good. About 37 miles, 5950'.

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-strava.jpg

Stopped at Russian River for a Blind Pig and some PTE's for the road.

Dog is my Co-Pilot Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-img_5067.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^I love it over there...time slows down So, I gotta ask...did you get your truck stuck before or after the beer drinking started

Proud lame eBiker
    Hey yeah we bumped into you at the top of 700 there on Sunday. Nice riding man. That's A LOT of riding in two days.

Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Did a bit of pre-riding over the weekend. Yes Wildwood is gonna kick some ass in two weeks!

On the drive up I had to snap a pic of this beast. Amazing these things stay afloat carrying all of those containers.

Name:	IMG_4948.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1140768

Driving North!

Name:	IMG_4951.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	1140750

View from the summit on 20

Name:	IMG_4962.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	1140751

Oh Fugggk. Rolled my front tire into a 3-1/2' deep ditch pulling into a campsite. No cell service to call for help. Took over three hours of digging and McGyvering to get unstuck.

Name:	IMG_4979.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1140752

Mendocino is a beautiful place to ride your mountain bike. The weather was perfect and the trail conditions were prime.
    After getting to bed around 3:00 am due to vehicle adventures I got a late start on Saturday and had to make a decision after the first four stages to skip 5 (Forest History) and finish with 6. Roughly 31 miles and 4200'.

Name:	IMG_4994.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	1140753

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	1140754

Name:	IMG_5024.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	1140755

Bring some cash & make a donation to the Mendo Bike Sprites for all of their hard work building these beautiful trails.

(I really enjoyed the new trail, but for race day I recommend making the fire road optional to save time and legs.)

Name:	IMG_5013.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	1140757

Name:	IMG_5030.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	1140756

Name:	IMG_5050.jpg 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	1140758

Did all 6 stages on Sunday. My ass, hips, & legs were finished. That beer in the parking lot never tasted so good. About 37 miles, 5950'.

Name:	Strava.jpg 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	1140760

Stopped at Russian River for a Blind Pig and some PTE's for the road.

Dog is my Co-Pilot Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1140763
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    ^^^I love it over there...time slows down So, I gotta ask...did you get your truck stuck before or after the beer drinking started
    Good question Russ... I only had one beer and it was at least an hour before driving into that gosh darn ditch! However... I lost count after I got the truck out

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Time does slow down there. I love living in Santa Cruz...We've got awesome surf, sweet trails, and it's been my home for >20 years. But I kept thinking how nice it would be to retire up there in them Mendo Woodlands. Must have been the perfect weather, mixed with mental exhaustion due to overexertion

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Hey yeah we bumped into you at the top of 700 there on Sunday. Nice riding man. That's A LOT of riding in two days.
    Yeah I remember you! I was moving pretty slow by the time you passed me in the truck. Right before Forest History, right? Gawd that trail is the shit. So fast and yet exposure is around every turn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have never been able to ride up in Mendo before, and won't be able to get up there to pre ride before the race this year. I don't know what tires I should run for this race? I have either Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front, with Maxxis aggressor DD out back. They weigh about 2200 grams together. I also have Schwalbe Hans Damf - Nobby nic combo that weighs 500+ grams less. I don't know how many rocks or roots are there to cause flats. Thanks for any input.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Issue View Post
    I have never been able to ride up in Mendo before, and won't be able to get up there to pre ride before the race this year. I don't know what tires I should run for this race? I have either Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front, with Maxxis aggressor DD out back. They weigh about 2200 grams together. I also have Schwalbe Hans Damf - Nobby nic combo that weighs 500+ grams less. I don't know how many rocks or roots are there to cause flats. Thanks for any input.
    I would run the lighter set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

I like mtn biking, too
    Sweet trip report Turf!

Don't make it sound too nice... I need someone to bail and sell me their entry.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A team mate of mine can't make it. So her entry is up for grabs. Are you interested?

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Sweet trip report Turf!

Don't make it sound too nice... I need someone to bail and sell me their entry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    We rode the course on the weekend, trails are mint condition and a lot of fun. We as a group are a bit worried that the times are going to be hard to meet. There is always more time spent waiting at stage starts that you first think. Even if it was 5 minutes at each stage you have lost quite a lot of time on the overall. I remember quite a lot longer wait times on the previous edition.

mtbr member

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course

That was a tough one. Rode way too much on Friday, and spent most of today in survival mode. The terrain was super fun (very SC like) but the courses were not my cup of tea. And I have no clue why they made the sportsman wait until 11am to start stage 1 which was only a few minutes down the road from the start.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's a sweet nose wheelie!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That was a tough one. Rode way too much on Friday, and spent most of today in survival mode. The terrain was super fun (very SC like) but the courses were not my cup of tea. And I have no clue why they made the sportsman wait until 11am to start stage 1 which was only a few minutes down the road from the start.

where did you get the pics from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    where did you get the pics from?
    dvl on Instagram. I don't think he got very many riders. Was mostly out there to support his 11 year old son, who rode the whole Sport course and killed it. And he was a very tiny 11 year old too.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    dvl on Instagram. I don't think he got very many riders. Was mostly out there to support his 11 year old son, who rode the whole Sport course and killed it. And he was a very tiny 11 year old too.
    He's tiny and he has serious bike handling skills!

On a related note, you looked good coming off Purple Skirt. Good job!

mtbr member
    What a fun and well organized race! It was a long day in the saddle but the trails were epic, food stations packed with plenty of treats, and the event had an awesome vibe. Strava put men’s sport at around 35 miles and 5,500 feet of climbing…ouch! I was cursing my decision to race my Nomad on all the transfers, but on the descents I was loving it. Somehow I managed to finish 3rd in men’s sport 40 even after crashing into the racer in front of me when I tried to pass her. Lesson learned: ask for 90 seconds if you’re concerned about catching the rider in front of you. All in all, great event and a huge thank you to the organizers and friendly volunteers!
    Last edited by edenger; 06-18-2017 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member

Thank you!

It turned out to be a great race day and on top that the trails are still in remarkably great shape today.

All in all, what a great bunch of racers to attend our event! The overall attitudes were exemplary! Lots of compliments...

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-3a.jpg

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ That's a sweet nose wheelie!
    I agree! You look remarkably calm, to boot!
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile
    2011 Trek/Gary Fisher HiFi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emjayel View Post
    I agree! You look remarkably calm, to boot!
    I think this picture makes it look a lot worse than it actually was. I didn't feel like I was going to crash, I just overshot the next corner a little.

mtbr member
    It turned out to be a great race day and on top that the trails are still in remarkably great shape today.

All in all, what a great bunch of racers to attend our event! The overall attitudes were exemplary! Lots of compliments...
    Agree, we had a blast on the super fun trails, close to primo dirt, great weather, well run event. Good times! Thank you!

Jeni raced while Riley and I played support crew which basically meant we played around at the ocean and at Denny's because mom was too busy suffering the race to tell us no. Haha

She took 3rd in Beginner Women and that set her up for 1st place overall currently. Her friend Anne nudged her out of 2nd by 3 10ths of a second.

It was a fantastic event and I love the campground. The event coordinators were gracious and allowed us to keep our camping spot we had prior to the event since our tent is attached to our truck. Most other folks had to move their vehicles down to the overflow parking. I felt bad for them but we were kinda stuck. As a bonus, Nick had spent most of Friday building hot shower stalls for the racers. How friggin cool!
    Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-51820171909.jpgMendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-51820171690.jpg

Riley made a sweet fort under the RTTand slept in the bed of the truck.Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-518201719348.jpg

In the off time we watched banana slug racing

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-518201719525.jpg

Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-518201719048.jpg

Picked up another spare tube frame wrap from my friends at Winn!
    Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-518201719316.jpg
    Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-5182017191621.jpg

mtbr member
    Results are posted: ROUND 3 RESULTS: Wild Wood Adventure Enduro

I ended up 6th place out of 11 racers in Sport 18-29. I was nearly 1.5 minutes off the leader, which is not where I want to be. Oh well, on to the next one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Awesome race! Only complaint was we were given zero information about the race at the riders meeting. And when we showed up to that start area there was no one to direct us which way to go

After that though, I think they did a great job. Super well marked and organized. The trails were a blast and they took the stupid climb off the top of Forest History! Yippy!

Anyone know where there might be photos to purchase?

Results are posted: ROUND 3 RESULTS: Wild Wood Adventure Enduro

I ended up 6th place out of 11 racers in Sport 18-29. I was nearly 1.5 minutes off the leader, which is not where I want to be. Oh well, on to the next one.
    But you rode blind right? My buddy Darren rode it blind and took a pretty good crash in Sport 40-49. He vowed never again. Always pre-ride if possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    But you rode blind right? My buddy Darren rode it blind and took a pretty good crash in Sport 40-49. He vowed never again. Always pre-ride if possible.
    No, I pre-rode every stage on Friday. Even though we tried to shuttle what we could, we still ended up doing 25 miles and almost 4K' elevation. (My normal rides are around 12-15miles and 2500-3000' elevation.) I actually felt pretty good all day on Friday, but I guess my lack of fitness caught up to me and I had zero strength left to sprint in the stages.

No, I pre-rode every stage on Friday. Even though we tried to shuttle what we could, we still ended up doing 25 miles and almost 4K' elevation. (My normal rides are around 12-15miles and 2500-3000' elevation.) I actually felt pretty good all day on Friday, but I guess my lack of fitness caught up to me and I had zero strength left to sprint in the stages.
    That'll do it. Jeni took it easy on Friday and only rode Manly and Motorcycle. It was good to see you out there man.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by edenger View Post
    Thanks!

Snagged one of Jeni.
    Mendocino Wild Wood Enduro Race Course-jeni-wildwood.jpg

FWIW, I believe I saw you coming down the end of Purple Skirt RIGHT behind what I think was our friend Louisa on the orange Kona. I heard there were staging issues on that one and the Sport Men 40-49 got mixed in with Expert Women. Not a good situation for anyone. I totally agree with you, ask for more gap time when that happens.