mtbr member

Medical Question - Stress Fracture in Hip

I have had a nagging injury for months that continued to get worse and I finally saw a Dr about it last week and got a set of MRI's done.

He called me last night, somewhat urgently, and said he thinks I have a stress fracture in my femoral head, put me on crutches effective immediately and would like me to have surgery ASAP to "bolt" the fracture.

I am scrambling to get a second opinion ASAP but wanted to see if anyone has experience with something similar. Funny, it never really hurt when riding too much but hurt a lot when walking.

In retrospect I wish I had addressed this months ago when the pain first started, but of course that doesn't do me any good. My concerns about not being able to race downieville this summer are now replaced with concerns about being able to get up and down the steps to my apartment......ugh!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    BTW - I just re-read this and it sounds pretty dramatic. I know the intrawebs are not full of Dr's but they= Dr's felt this was a a repetitive motion/cycling related injury (maybe started by running) and with the group of endurance guys hanging around here I thought I might find some data. Thanks yall.

Eamonn

mtbr member
    Check out the "rider down" forum? Sorry to hear about it. My daughter is in rehab now for a broken hip. i sometimes worry about the pressure put on the hips from single speeding? -AR Search Results
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Thanks Ancient. I spend about 1/2 time on a SS. I totally blanked on a forum search and some of the results look great. Much appreciated! Hope your daughter is doing ok!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just some general feedback based on a not very similar injury (broken + dislocated arm):

-no matter how minor they make the procedure sound, surgery is still very invasive, and can lead to other complications and/or issues (for some injuries, a combination of physical therapy and diligent care can take care of things, even though it won't be as 'quick' as surgery)
    -get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. one of my buddies is an ortho, and that was his recommendation (some places are literally money making operations)
    -ask lots and lots of questions until YOU feel comfortable w/ the explanation, procedure and potential risks

just my .02
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Thanks dt. I did not feel comfortable, at all, with the initial conversation I had and the path outlined to surgery. I had my shoulder re-built when I was a kid (a totally unavoidable surgery) and it still is not quite right. I would really like to avoid surgery if possible.

mtbr member
    What area are you in?

mtbr member
    I live in San Francisco and work in Marin. I'm on the peninsula a lot for work as well. Currently at Mt Tam Orth and working on getting into Marin Orth for a second opinion.

mtbr member
    Sorry can't help you then with a suggestion for a 2nd.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Dr. Marvin Lo
    SF

Did my ACL 3 years ago and my Collar bone - 2 months ago - Sports medicine orthapaedic surgeon but is conservative - doesn't push surgery - was on the staff that treats Pittsburgh Steelers

Marvin Y. Lo, M.D. - The Orthopaedic Group of San Francisco

~~~
    My doc, also very knowledgeable with sports related injuries. They work closely with Potrero Physical Therapy, who are also top-notch folks.

David Atkin
    SOMA Orthopaedics
    Located at St. Lukes on Valencia

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kevin Louie at Cal Pacific in SF is a solid option too.

x10 on the second and third opinions. Voice of experience. I had a non-indicated surgery a bit over two years ago and didn't get a second opinion because the podiatrist was supposedly the expert. Regret it. I discovered through my own research a year later that another procedure would've been better. Irreversible side-effects.

Also--hardware for a stress fracture seems very strange to me, but I know little about the subject so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. LightRanger I met Kevin Louie regarding a back problem and he was fantastic, as was his whole team. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah. He's a great guy. He did follow up on my shattered tib-fib (see accident report here: Props to: Squaw Patrol, TTMG Folks, and TFH Folks) and treated me right. He didn't actually have to do much, but made a solid recommendation to use an Exogen system on the fracture that I think helped it heal (at least somewhat) better.

Another recommendation a little farther afield: Dr. Michael F. Dillingham, M.D. | Redwood City, San Francisco | Sutter Health I haven't seen him but I have friends who swear by him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I have had a nagging injury for months that continued to get worse and I finally saw a Dr about it last week and got a set of MRI's done.

He called me last night, somewhat urgently, and said he thinks I have a stress fracture in my femoral head, put me on crutches effective immediately and would like me to have surgery ASAP to "bolt" the fracture.

I am scrambling to get a second opinion ASAP but wanted to see if anyone has experience with something similar. Funny, it never really hurt when riding too much but hurt a lot when walking.

In retrospect I wish I had addressed this months ago when the pain first started, but of course that doesn't do me any good. My concerns about not being able to race downieville this summer are now replaced with concerns about being able to get up and down the steps to my apartment......ugh!
    Friend of mine had the exact same break a few years back. They put hardware in and he was riding again somewhat quickly, but was told to be very careful until the hardware was removed. As in "if you crash on it you will be screwed" type of careful.

I think they took it out after a year and he is fully legit now.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I live in San Francisco and work in Marin. I'm on the peninsula a lot for work as well. Currently at Mt Tam Orth and working on getting into Marin Orth for a second opinion.
    Ken Akizuki is in Pac Heights. He's a real straight shooter and good ortho. He did my ACL. Defnitely recommend him for a second (or 3rd or 4th or nth) opinion.

mtbr member
    your main concern is causing damage to the blood supply to the femoral head. A stress fracture to the neck can progress and lead to avascular necrosis (the bone starts to die due to lack of nutrients from the blood supply from the femoral artery). This is the type of injury that Bo Jackson had as well as Floyd Landis. I would be very careful about how you handle this so that you don't incur permanent damage. Best of luck.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member
    Thanks again. I am now scheduled with a second Dr. at the end of the week and am going to try and sit tight with the crutches until I get at least one more opinion.

ARider - your friends recovery made my day. Right now, I'd be happy if they said I could ride a trainer.

(slight return)
    Damn man, sorry to hear about the hip! Hope you get it worked out and can avoid the surgery (or find someone good for the surgery if you can't avoid it.) Good luck!

-slide