mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mechanic needed @ Google in Mountain view/Sunnyvale

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place, but for all the bike shops that closed in the bay area here is a good place to work.

Bike Technician for Google bike program. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/trp...482569660.html

mtbr member
    Looks interesting. Now if only I can get someone to look at my resume for any IT ops jobs there.

mtbr member
    $18/hr.? You'ld have to live in your car. Or the large van.
    One gear is all you need.

Wēk Ss
    18/hr might be more than others pay. That's 37K/year, and free meals, which is easily another 10K-20K/year if just lunch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Or the large van.
    Just park it right outside Stanford on El-Cam with the rest

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lunch costs 10k-20k/year??? Is my math wrong or is that $40 - $80 per lunch? Based on approx 250 work days a year. Could be even fewer work days if you add in holidays.

In any case, $18/hr is absurdly low for the peninsula. $3k per month salary BEFORE taxes. Even renting a room in a house/apt you'd be paying close to 50% of salary.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    18/hr might be more than others pay. That's 37K/year, and free meals, which is easily another 10K-20K/year if just lunch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    Lunch costs 10k-20k/year??? Is my math wrong or is that $40 - $80 per lunch? Based on approx 250 work days a year. Could be even fewer work days if you add in holidays.

In any case, $18/hr is absurdly low for the peninsula. $3k per month salary BEFORE taxes. Even renting a room in a house/apt you'd be paying close to 50% of salary.
    Yup!
    One gear is all you need.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Which is why it's so hard to attract/keep workers at Bay Area LBS's. Tip early and often!

My g/f lasted about a year before she tapped out. One day it will be her retirement job.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Hella Olde
    50$ an hour is minimum wage in the SFBA unless you have a housing hookup.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All joking aside, I'm curious as to what the wages are for Bay Area bike shop employees. I recall that in the mid 2000's that bike mechanics in Marin were paid $20/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    50$ an hour is minimum wage in the SFBA unless you have a housing hookup.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Well yea, us regular Joes spend about $60 for an average lunch, 40 if my staff packs it for me.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm joking, I don't brown bag.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Wēk Ss

I have no idea wtf that was about. Yeah, it's screwed. About 10K for 3 square is about right, given lunch would probably run 10-15 and dinners 15-20 and probably 10 for breakfast, for the valuation of the food served @ google. No idea if it's 3, but ad said meals included, and google cafe is pretty good food.

Sure, $18/hr is low for the peninsula. I'm still guessing the advertised package is a bit more than what other places would pay mechanics. So, it's not a living wage, yes, but it's what the valuation is for that type of vocation. Clearly said person would need to share. Living wages for unskilled workers in the area, unfortunately, isn't realistic. it would just balloon wages for skilled workers even more, and increase everything in the cycle even higher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Most shops in the are Mountain view and Sunnyvale pay $13.50 for entry tech to $23 for master tech. There are very few master techs and even fewer shops that are willing to pay that rate. The average tech is closer to $15 hr. $18 @ Google is pretty good. +3 squares a day.