Poacher
    Sep 2010

Marin Municipal Water District land, Ranger Danger

I met a really nice person today, turns out he is a Marin Sheriff. He said he is tasked with helping MMWD with general law enforcement currently. They are ticketing Mtn Bikers when they can, so watch out for extra officers on MMWD land. He said they are not targeting Mtn Bikers, but just extra enforcement in general, such as fishing licenses, parking permits, dogs off leash, etc. I do not ride on their land (unless I am following user rules, in that particular area), but I thought I would pass this along.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    i met a really nice person today, turns out he is a marin sheriff. He said he is tasked with helping mmwd with general law enforcement currently. They are ticketing mtn bikers when they can, so watch out for extra officers on mmwd land. He said they are not targeting mtn bikers, but just extra enforcement in general, such as fishing licenses, parking permits, dogs off leash, etc. I do not ride on their land (unless i am following user rules, in that particular area), but i thought i would pass this along.
    figgity figgity ftg!!!
    Hashtag you gotta fight the powers that be.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I met a really nice person today, turns out he is a Marin Sheriff. He said he is tasked with helping MMWD with general law enforcement currently. They are ticketing Mtn Bikers when they can, so watch out for extra officers on MMWD land. He said they are not targeting Mtn Bikers, but just extra enforcement in general, such as fishing licenses, parking permits, dogs off leash, etc. I do not ride on their land (unless I am following user rules, in that particular area), but I thought I would pass this along.
    I don't think this is anything new. MMWD has had two Sheriff's deputies patrolling watershed lands on contract from the county ever since the MMWD rangers stopped carrying firearms. I believe that started 6 or 7 years ago. Also, the two rangers who are the most ticket zealous are MMWD rangers, not the sheriff's deputies.

With 7 total rangers (including the deputies) and only 3-4 on duty at a given time patrolling 21,000+ acres it's just a cat and mouse game up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Six or seven years ago, I got a ticket near Pine Mtn and the officers were dual MMWD/Sheriff. They were actually cool guys, one was a mtn biker, and was asking me about trails that I shouldn't know about. I played dumb

Anyway, I was fine with making a financial contribution to the County.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

I'm really diggin it!
    There is a full time sheriff LEO on the payroll with MCOSD in addition to several deputies who are contracted to work with MCOSD. MCOSD also has a full time ranger to patrol every preserve. So there are guys who know the trails, see the tracks and monitor STRAVA to make sure they are using their time effectively. They share intel with the deputies who talk about not targeting bikes but clearly do so evidenced by increasing patrols on popular social trails.

Including the 2 full time sheriff deputies working with MMWD which were already discussed above the situation is getting much worse for off road cycling.

It is sad that not one mile of multi use trail has been added to the network since the 680 trail in 2012. Not one pump track. No change of use. Nothing has been done for the fastest growing user group in Marin County. Millions of dollars are being spent on trucks with infrared cameras, LEO contract work and the full time benefits for Ranger Rick.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Millions of dollars are being spent on trucks with infrared cameras, LEO contract work and the full time benefits for Ranger Rick.
    I think you just gave me an idea for a new career. As a mtb community intel mole of course......
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I think you just gave me an idea for a new career. As a mtb community intel mole of course......
    You may as well cash in. The BOS seems OK with runaway spending of taxpayer money in order to keep people from recreating and enjoying themselves. Hopefully it won't last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk