mtbr member
    May 2006

Marin Headland or Railroad Grade for Saturday?

Anyone ridden either one of these trails this past few days? I dont like muddy trails. Can someone give a ride report?

All weather forecast stations this morning suggested rain will hit south bay up to San Mateo only. Seems perfect to ride these two semi-northbay~ish trails since they had the whole week to dry and bake in the sun, and theres not much tree covers.

Thanks in advance

aka baycat
    Both should be fine but I would hit Mt. Tam. Railroad Grade up to East Peak and down Eldridge should be nice. There are some beautiful falls and springs off Railroad Grade and when you go down Eldridge the rocks make the descent fun. A few sections where a creek has formed making it a bit snotty but interesting. Hit up the loops around Lagunitas, Bon Tempe and Phoneix additionally.

mtbr member
    I was in Headlands night before last and the fire roads were just fine. Middle Green Gulch was pretty muddy, the bottom was very muddy. As Baycat says the fireroads on Tam will be just fine. Railroad grade/eldridge are pretty much always good, even in dumping rain.